ImageImageImageImageImage

Brandon Ingram Thread (merged)

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

What should the Lakers do with Brandon Ingram and his extension this summer?

No extension, let him hit Restricted Free Agency in 2020
52%
Lock him up to a $20mil+ extension
27%
Trade him for max player or for improved future cap flexbility
22%

Total votes: 64

Pythagoras
Analyst
And1: 3,282

Re: Brandon Ingram Thread (merged) 

Post#641 » by Pythagoras » Tue Apr 9, 2019 7:35 pm

dockingsched wrote:Was reading an old article about the Jim/Mitch firing, I had totally forgotten that Magic was actually brought on before Jim/Mitch were fired, and supposedly Jeanie didn’t decide to fire them until after witnessing how Jim and Mitch handled that deadline.

https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/98223130

One of the huge issues that Jeanie and Magic apparently had was that Mitch and Jim didn’t keep them in the loop regarding the Cousins-Kings trade, where Mitch refused to include Ingram. If it were up to Jeanie and Magic, Ingram would’ve been shipped out.

Couple of years later, you guys feel like Mitch deserves credit for preventing that trade, blame, or hard to tell?

Definitely credit. I actually wouldn't be that mad if we added Cousins this offseason, if we added like 2 or 3 strong 3 and D players as well. But that deal would have left us trying to build around Cousins, Randle, Nance, and Clarkson, with very little cap space left (I think the KIngs wanted DLo too). That's a bottom tier playoff team at best in the West.

I do think that is interesting as Magic reportedly didn't want to include Ingram in potential trades for much better players than Cousins in PG and Kawhi.
Numbers rule the universe.
Landsberger
General Manager
And1: 1,969

Post#642 » by Landsberger » Tue Apr 9, 2019 9:42 pm

I don't think Cousins attitude will every aid a team in a championship run..... they would have to do it in spite of it...

I think he's always been vastly overrated based on nothing more than his stats. I hope he'd be the final "save face" move by the club rather than any central move to get better.
what would jack bauer do?
Veteran
And1: 295

Post#643 » by what would jack bauer do? » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:01 pm

So from Ingram's exit interview it revealed they took out part of his rib to relieve pressure on his vein. To me this seems best case scenario of a sh*** situation. It doesn't sound like he has any genetic factors leading to chronic blood clots like Bosh. I really hope he is healthy at that 3 month period and has that solid 4 month period from Jun-sep to work on his body and strength. His game is already there his body just has to catch up to get to the next level.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,670

Post#644 » by dockingsched » Thu Jun 6, 2019 1:11 pm

Bump

With the whole blood clot issue and the 4th pick that can be used to improve trade packages or add another prospect, I think the Lakers have to either trade Ingram this summer or extend him (hopefully at a discount due to blood clot).

With everything going on right now with the team, I don’t think they can put themselves in a position to once again go through what they did with Randle. Someone who was disgruntled due to the lack of offers, upset at his fluctuating role (which could happen to Ingram depending on signing a top wing player).

If they believe in Ingram, sign him up to an extension. If they don’t, move on and get a piece you want before losing him for nothing.

I was firmly behind the wait and see approach, but with all the Magic stuff and the blatant need to establish a good culture, you gotta start committing to players so they commit too and buy in.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
iamworthy
RealGM
And1: 8,909

Post#645 » by iamworthy » Thu Jun 6, 2019 2:25 pm

Lakers would be well within there rights to see how Ingram plays next season before throwing 100 million dollars at him. I assume he's going to want near max money. It's not as if they're doing him dirty. if he picks up where he left off then throwing big money at him is a no brainer. I think it would look more negatively on the Lakers if they try to capitalize on his injury by giving him a low offer.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,238

Post#646 » by wco81 » Thu Jun 6, 2019 3:43 pm

Then again a cheaper contract would make him a more attractive trade asset, even if questions still remain about his health.

Imagine something like 5 years $80-90 million. That is cheap for a #2 pick who's shown potential.

Of course, if it turns out he can't play because of the blood clots, then not so great.

But I don't think it's realistic to get him to sign under $15 million a year.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#647 » by Kilroy » Thu Jun 6, 2019 3:55 pm

Ingram's blood clots were different than the other guys who's careers ended/are in jeopardy because of them... His were the result of an injury, not a structural/physiological problem. He's fine.
Even if you intend to trade him, extending him is the way to go. Not sure how that works from a cap perspective, but if you can extend and trade him as part of the AD trade, you can keep a couple lesser assets.
I think $15m/yr sounds about right, also.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,670

Post#648 » by dockingsched » Thu Jun 6, 2019 4:02 pm

iamworthy wrote:Lakers would be well within there rights to see how Ingram plays next season before throwing 100 million dollars at him. I assume he's going to want near max money. It's not as if they're doing him dirty. if he picks up where he left off then throwing big money at him is a no brainer. I think it would look more negatively on the Lakers if they try to capitalize on his injury by giving him a low offer.

It’s not about capitalizing on his injury, it’s about providing some security for both sides by minimizing risks on both sides. It’s similar to how the Warriors got Steph below market for so many years due to his ankle issues that appeared ready to derail his career early on.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#649 » by Slava » Thu Jun 6, 2019 4:25 pm

I think his trade value would be highest if he is locked into something like a 5/$75M deal and then he goes into have a good season.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
tv24lakers
Junior
And1: 96

Post#650 » by tv24lakers » Fri Jun 7, 2019 9:51 am

Pythagoras wrote:
dockingsched wrote:Was reading an old article about the Jim/Mitch firing, I had totally forgotten that Magic was actually brought on before Jim/Mitch were fired, and supposedly Jeanie didn’t decide to fire them until after witnessing how Jim and Mitch handled that deadline.

https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/98223130

One of the huge issues that Jeanie and Magic apparently had was that Mitch and Jim didn’t keep them in the loop regarding the Cousins-Kings trade, where Mitch refused to include Ingram. If it were up to Jeanie and Magic, Ingram would’ve been shipped out.

Couple of years later, you guys feel like Mitch deserves credit for preventing that trade, blame, or hard to tell?

Definitely credit. I actually wouldn't be that mad if we added Cousins this offseason, if we added like 2 or 3 strong 3 and D players as well. But that deal would have left us trying to build around Cousins, Randle, Nance, and Clarkson, with very little cap space left (I think the KIngs wanted DLo too). That's a bottom tier playoff team at best in the West.

I do think that is interesting as Magic reportedly didn't want to include Ingram in potential trades for much better players than Cousins in PG and Kawhi.

Seeing this thread reminds of the inane Deng and Mozgov contracts. Ehhhh!!!!
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,970

Post#651 » by zimpy27 » Fri Jun 7, 2019 11:04 am

If teams are concerned about Ingram's blood clots then you can make it easy for them and not include him in packages. They will use the blood clots to get more from the Lakers, don't fall for the trap, just pull him and put up Kuzma instead.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
Landsberger
General Manager
And1: 1,969

Post#652 » by Landsberger » Fri Jun 7, 2019 5:49 pm

zimpy27 wrote:If teams are concerned about Ingram's blood clots then you can make it easy for them and not include him in packages. They will use the blood clots to get more from the Lakers, don't fall for the trap, just pull him and put up Kuzma instead.

Ingram's value will be dropping this upcoming year and if we don't move him it will mean we will either be letting him go or re-signing him long term. Neither one of those is where I want to be. I think the money invested in re-signing him can be spent better and losing another youngster for nothing is unacceptable. Kuzma is under control a year longer and is a lot cheaper. In our present situation he's more valuable here because he allows us more room and is cheap for a year longer.

That said, the blood clot thing is a real concern. For us as much as anyone.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers