ImageImageImageImageImage

Brandon Ingram Thread (merged)

Moderators: Danny Darko, Kilroy, TyCobb

What should the Lakers do with Brandon Ingram and his extension this summer?

No extension, let him hit Restricted Free Agency in 2020
52%
Lock him up to a $20mil+ extension
27%
Trade him for max player or for improved future cap flexbility
22%

Total votes: 64

Biased_Fan6425
Starter
And1: 1,381

Re: Can Brandon Ingram really take the next step? 

Post#21 » by Biased_Fan6425 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:03 am

I'm not that high on him.

We should trade him while his value is high IMO.
Lets go Lakers!! 8-) 8-) 8-)
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,633

Post#22 » by danfantastk32 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:42 am

Im gonna give this team about 30-40 games to get things sorted out, and for players to understand their roles under Lebron. I think he has alot going for him, and can do alot of things well. That should translate to being a good 1-2 punch with Lebron....but it doesn't always turn out that way.

The issue with trading him, is that we won't be getting top-draft picks for a while. He's still "rent controlled" a little longer, and so this is our opportunity to get another star without losing anything.

Sign Kawhi, and keep Ingram.....or trade Ingram for A-Davis? <-----assuming you could do either one, which makes more sense?

If you think of it another way......sign Kawhi, give Ingram his payday, and then you can trade him. Get Kawhi AND A-Davis. You just gotta wait a little.

I know A-Davis and Kawhi are far far far from givens. But you can see the value in NOT trading Ingram yet (if at all). Sign a max guy this year. Sign Ingram next year, and if you wanna trade him then, then you do it.
Michael Lucky
RealGM
And1: 6,511

Post#23 » by Michael Lucky » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:02 pm

Well he's more likely than the rest of our young players. Kuzma, is the same player as last year, Lonzo still disappears from halves, and Hart's ceiling is limited.
Kobe System
Lead Assistant
And1: 449

Post#24 » by Kobe System » Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:26 pm

Biased_Fan6425 wrote:I'm not that high on him.

We should trade him while his value is high IMO.

I kinda wish we traded him for Kawhi.
One Love
Starter
And1: 290

Post#25 » by One Love » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:09 pm

Ingram is the most over rated player on our team... He has some talent but doesn’t do anything great plus he is a bad fit with the starting unit... He played his best ball when he was a PG (point forward) last year... Put him with the 2nd unit & let him handle the ball with Rondo & shop his ass...

Ball & LBJ need Hart & Kuzz In the corners for spacing with the first unit... I hope Luke doesn’t start Ingram tonight... He will be traded before the All Star Break...

“Talent Wins Games, Chemisty wins Championships”...
Michael Lucky
RealGM

Post#26 » by Michael Lucky » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:19 pm

One Love wrote:Ingram is the most over rated player on our team... He has some talent but doesn’t do anything great plus he is a bad fit with the starting unit... He played his best ball when he was a PG (point forward) last year... Put him with the 2nd unit & let him handle the ball with Rondo & shop his ass...

Ball & LBJ need Hart & Kuzz In the corners for spacing with the first unit... I hope Luke doesn’t start Ingram tonight... He will be traded before the All Star Break...

Where is this crap that he isnt a good fit in the starting lineup coming from? Is it because he doesnt stand in a corner waiting to shoot a catch and shoot 3 from Lebron? :lol: Like we have any Korvers on the team. Certainly isnt Kuzma who is an average 3 point shooter, who can't rebound or playmake himself and is 2 years older than Ingram. Ingram clearly has the higher ceiling between the two and despite not being a great playmaker is still better at it than Kuzma. Are we also going to just disregard Ingram's good chemistry with Lebron through six preseason games based of 1 and 3/4 regular season games? Come on, the hate is completely unjustified and ridiculous. Ingram didn't even play badly the first two games, he was underutilized if anything.
iamworthy
RealGM
And1: 8,909

Post#27 » by iamworthy » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:36 pm

iamworthy wrote:I'll just drop this here

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Edrees
RealGM
And1: 11,114

Post#28 » by Edrees » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:59 pm

Wow, these last few posts attacking Ingram during his suspension. You guys have short memories. Ingram in the first two games showed significant signs that he has taken the next step this season, the entire team was struggling as a unit, but individually he has been doing amazing things. I have no doubt he'll reach that level once the Lakers become cohesive as a team.
Spanish_Laker
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,010

Post#29 » by Spanish_Laker » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:57 pm

I like that mentality, let's see if he can deliver in the next few games...
Banned after 15 years in this forum for no reason. Farewell RealGM users
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,538

Post#30 » by stan francisco » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:58 pm

Lonzo, Ingram, Kuzma, LBJ, JMG?
PG: D Lo / Reaves / Vincent(IL) / JHS
SG: Christie / Dinwiddie / Lewis / Mays
SF: LBJ / Prince / Reddish / Windler
PF: Rui / Vando(IL) / LBJ
CTR: AD / Hayes / Wood

Modern era NBA titles:
LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4
Landsberger
General Manager
And1: 1,969

Post#31 » by Landsberger » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:58 am

2 games in one from him tonight. Shot very well early and stunk down the stretch. Having him initiate or isolate late in games may need to be rethought. I think he's at his best moving off the ball but we seem hell bent on putting him in isolation or force feeding him. He was loose and in the flow early then when he tried to take over late it was a mess.
Michael Lucky
RealGM

Post#32 » by Michael Lucky » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:10 am

Landsberger wrote:2 games in one from him tonight. Shot very well early and stunk down the stretch. Having him initiate or isolate late in games may need to be rethought. I think he's at his best moving off the ball but we seem hell bent on putting him in isolation or force feeding him. He was loose and in the flow early then when he tried to take over late it was a mess.

Usually happens with young players. I'm actually glad to see he wasn't taking a step back from LeBron and was being assertive in his own right. I suspect he'l get better in these situations later when he gets closer to his prime.
Landsberger
General Manager
And1: 1,969

Post#33 » by Landsberger » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:14 am

Michael Lucky wrote:
Landsberger wrote:2 games in one from him tonight. Shot very well early and stunk down the stretch. Having him initiate or isolate late in games may need to be rethought. I think he's at his best moving off the ball but we seem hell bent on putting him in isolation or force feeding him. He was loose and in the flow early then when he tried to take over late it was a mess.

Usually happens with young players. I'm actually glad to see he wasn't taking a step back from LeBron and was being assertive in his own right. I suspect he'l get better in these situations later when he gets closer to his prime.

His demeanor is that of a fill in the blanks guy IMHO. I don't think he'll ever fit into the "finisher" mold quite frankly. I know we've pushed him in that direction but that's been mainly because he's been the only guy we've had to do that. He plays loose and free off the ball and seems to be forcing it when he's fed the ball and expected to score.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#34 » by Kilroy » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:15 am

Ingram didn't try to take over... They hit him for wide open shots and he missed 2 of 3... Not great but not a takeover move either...

He also had 2 contested drives to the basket, but he was the only one there to make those drives... And IMO he should have been on the line after both of them... Kuz followed one for the put back, and the other went wild... Oh, and he also took Butler off the dribble an roasted him and finished over Towns.

He didn't play much in the second half due to foul trouble and when he did, he focused mainly on shutting down Butler and Rose, which he was surprisingly effective at.

If he hadn't picked up the fouls, he may have had a career night tonight.
Still 24/5/2 with 3 blocks on better than 50% shooting... Not to shabby...
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
Pythagoras
Analyst
And1: 3,282

Post#35 » by Pythagoras » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:40 am

Michael Lucky wrote:
One Love wrote:Ingram is the most over rated player on our team... He has some talent but doesn’t do anything great plus he is a bad fit with the starting unit... He played his best ball when he was a PG (point forward) last year... Put him with the 2nd unit & let him handle the ball with Rondo & shop his ass...

Where is this crap that he isnt a good fit in the starting lineup coming from? Is it because he doesnt stand in a corner waiting to shoot a catch and shoot 3 from Lebron? :lol: Like we have any Korvers on the team. Certainly isnt Kuzma who is an average 3 point shooter, who can't rebound or playmake himself and is 2 years older than Ingram. Ingram clearly has the higher ceiling between the two and despite not being a great playmaker is still better at it than Kuzma. Are we also going to just disregard Ingram's good chemistry with Lebron through six preseason games based of 1 and 3/4 regular season games? Come on, the hate is completely unjustified and ridiculous. Ingram didn't even play badly the first two games, he was underutilized if anything.

Agreed on all accounts. The impatience with the young lotto picks is nuts to me. Ingram is pretty low on the list of problems as far as I’m concerned.

The great irony is that as people are ready to give up on yet another one these young guys so early, the team would likely be much, much better had they just you know, kept their other young guys and let them develop.
Numbers rule the universe.
karkinos
Head Coach
And1: 2,058

Post#36 » by karkinos » Sun Nov 4, 2018 12:40 pm

i didn't like ingram last year but i have liked his progress that he has shown thus far in comparison
he has a long way to go in terms of development, but that fits in with the lakers growth plan in the short and long term future.
his length has and always will be a critical part of his versatility, which our team needs, especially with basketball becoming more positionless
Spanish_Laker
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,010

Post#37 » by Spanish_Laker » Sun Nov 4, 2018 12:55 pm

Really poor game yesterday, same goes for Kuz. These guys need to be more consistent or they will eventually get traded for a superstar.
Banned after 15 years in this forum for no reason. Farewell RealGM users
Dubious Handles
Sixth Man
And1: 3,860

Post#38 » by Dubious Handles » Sun Nov 4, 2018 1:22 pm

Haven't seen BI play a lot personally, but the few times i've watched the lakers this season it seems that he's a very bad fit with the starters. He needs to have a point-forward type role, he's not a good isolaltion player. However, it also seems that he's kinda immature and has attitude problems. One of the players that would pout if he has to come off the bench
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,413

Post#39 » by Slava » Sun Nov 4, 2018 4:44 pm

The Boshstrich wrote:Haven't seen BI play a lot personally, but the few times i've watched the lakers this season it seems that he's a very bad fit with the starters. He needs to have a point-forward type role, he's not a good isolaltion player. However, it also seems that he's kinda immature and has attitude problems. One of the players that would pout if he has to come off the bench

Tremendous insight. Where did you get your diploma in arm-chair psychology?
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
Dubious Handles
Sixth Man
And1: 3,860

Post#40 » by Dubious Handles » Sun Nov 4, 2018 7:50 pm

Slava wrote:
The Boshstrich wrote:Haven't seen BI play a lot personally, but the few times i've watched the lakers this season it seems that he's a very bad fit with the starters. He needs to have a point-forward type role, he's not a good isolaltion player. However, it also seems that he's kinda immature and has attitude problems. One of the players that would pout if he has to come off the bench

Tremendous insight. Where did you get your diploma in arm-chair psychology?

c'mon man no need to flame.. I said I haven't seen him play much and that it is only my personal opinion on that matter, based on the two or three games i've watched this year, the fight with harden/cp3, and him saying he won't come off the bench after his suspension

Return to Los Angeles Lakers