ImageImageImageImageImage

Brandon Ingram Thread (merged)

Moderators: TyCobb, Kilroy, Danny Darko

What should the Lakers do with Brandon Ingram and his extension this summer?

No extension, let him hit Restricted Free Agency in 2020
33
52%
Lock him up to a $20mil+ extension
17
27%
Trade him for max player or for improved future cap flexbility
14
22%
 
Total votes: 64

Landsberger
Head Coach
Posts: 6,317
And1: 1,299
Joined: Jul 04, 2016
 

Re: Can Brandon Ingram really take the next step? 

Post#621 » by Landsberger » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:44 am

Kilroy wrote:
wco81 wrote:Listening to The Ringer NBA podcast.

Holy cow, Ingram's condition could be career-threatening?

They said the same condition ended Teletovic and Bosh's careers.


I think they're jumping the gun for click bait... Technically, what Ingram has isn't a 'condition' yet... Bosh and Teletovic both had a recurring problem with blood clots... And Teletovic had the much more serious complication that they were in both his lungs...

Ingram has had a single occurrence, which isn't that uncommon and can be treated and never recur... If it happens again, then yes, it's a condition that could end his career...

When I hear recurring blood clots, I think PEDs... So we'll have to watch that too I guess... He sure turned it on after the all star break...


I don't discount the click bait take here, but there is a genetic test that is pretty quick and very accurate to show if you have one of the more serious Hypercoagulable conditions. You don't have to have it reoccur to have the condition.
User avatar
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
Posts: 37,148
And1: 8,656
Joined: Apr 17, 2005
Location: Pitcher's Mound
     

Re: Brandon Ingram Thread (merged) 

Post#622 » by TyCobb » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:18 pm

Read on Twitter
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
User avatar
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
Posts: 37,148
And1: 8,656
Joined: Apr 17, 2005
Location: Pitcher's Mound
     

Re: Brandon Ingram Thread (merged) 

Post#623 » by TyCobb » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:19 pm

We need you BI. You're gonna be a beast next season. Guaranteed All-Star.
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
User avatar
TylersLakers
General Manager
Posts: 9,497
And1: 1,885
Joined: Jan 20, 2006
Location: Winnipeg Canada
     

Re: Brandon Ingram Thread (merged) 

Post#624 » by TylersLakers » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:40 pm

TyCobb wrote:We need you BI. You're gonna be a beast next season. Guaranteed All-Star.


I'm still hesitant on BI but that stretch the last month and a half by him was on another level from what he's shown in the past. I'm hoping we learn more information about the surgery and the recovery timeline. He needs to take another giant leap and having a full off-season to get better is something that's crucial for him. If that's impacted by this surgery, that's a major blow.
Image
iQon
Senior
Posts: 656
And1: 164
Joined: Jul 10, 2008

Re: Brandon Ingram Thread (merged) 

Post#625 » by iQon » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:33 am

Great news all around. Wishing him a healthy recovery.
what would jack bauer do?
Veteran
Posts: 2,699
And1: 279
Joined: Jul 10, 2006
Location: Las Vegas
Contact:
 

Re: Brandon Ingram Thread (merged) 

Post#626 » by what would jack bauer do? » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:48 am

I need to hear more information on the procedure he had. They deem every surgery a success, but the recovery is always up in the air. I honestly think Ingram is going to be a superstar in the league, but a serious injury at this stage of his career just puts a damper on that.
zuju
Sophomore
Posts: 188
And1: 33
Joined: Jul 14, 2012

Re: Brandon Ingram Thread (merged) 

Post#627 » by zuju » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:43 am

My impression tells me that Kobe once hurt his right arm/hand and he then trained his left hand handling, finishing and shooting.

Hope Imgram do the same, also learn to read the defense better (for off ball movrments and iso plays) and strengthen his body & legs. He still have a lot to do even with the right shoulder injured
Ballerhogger
RealGM
Posts: 22,450
And1: 5,132
Joined: Jul 06, 2014
       

Re: Brandon Ingram Thread (merged) 

Post#628 » by Ballerhogger » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:07 am

Says he will be ready in few months . Glad he’s ok . His furtire is really up in the Air though . Oof . He will be traded by draft I think ...
Kobe for President of Operations
User avatar
Worst_to_First
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,832
And1: 3,170
Joined: Feb 25, 2015
 

Re: Brandon Ingram Thread (merged) 

Post#629 » by Worst_to_First » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:48 am

This is very great news. BI has made great strides this season and am wishing him the best in his career. He has developed an unstoppable move and I think may still end up as a better player than Tatum given BI’s higher defensive upside.
evilpimp972
Analyst
Posts: 3,019
And1: 2,390
Joined: May 12, 2014
     

Re: Brandon Ingram Thread (merged) 

Post#630 » by evilpimp972 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:27 am

Ballerhogger wrote:Says he will be ready in few months . Glad he’s ok . His furtire is really up in the Air though . Oof . He will be traded by draft I think ...

Trading him doesn't make sense, no team will give up valuable assets for him with his injury concern.
Tinseltown wrote:
True Story wrote:KD is the best player in the NBA.

Kevin Durant is a better scorer than Jordan

MJ was never this efficient
Ballerhogger
RealGM
Posts: 22,450
And1: 5,132
Joined: Jul 06, 2014
       

Re: Brandon Ingram Thread (merged) 

Post#631 » by Ballerhogger » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:55 am

evilpimp972 wrote:
Ballerhogger wrote:Says he will be ready in few months . Glad he’s ok . His furtire is really up in the Air though . Oof . He will be traded by draft I think ...

Trading him doesn't make sense, no team will give up valuable assets for him with his injury concern.

From out standpoint I hope we don’t but I think it will be pretty decent to good return once he fully cleared . . With his father unhappy with his son contract it could big a factor . Now if there’s any hiccups then your right we shouldn’t.
Kobe for President of Operations
User avatar
TylersLakers
General Manager
Posts: 9,497
And1: 1,885
Joined: Jan 20, 2006
Location: Winnipeg Canada
     

Re: Brandon Ingram Thread (merged) 

Post#632 » by TylersLakers » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:42 pm

"This couldn't have been a better set of facts for a clot," Ingram's agent, Jeff Schwartz of Excel Sports Management, told ESPN.

With uncertainty surrounding Ingram's condition in the past week, former NBA players who were forced to retire because of blood clot issues -- namely Chris Bosh and Mirza Teletovic -- were often cited as comparable cases to Ingram. However, Ingram, the Lakers' No. 2 pick out of Duke in 2016, had a condition that was linked to the makeup of his body, not the makeup of his blood.

"It's a night-and-day difference between a hematological issue, or a blood issue however you want to put it, and a structural issue," Schwartz told ESPN. "This was not related to his blood producing something that would cause blood clots. This was purely structural."


Very good news. Hopefully it's not just agent speak of trying to calm the waters, especially with Ingram up for an extension. But this doesn't seem likely at all to be an issue going forward. The article also speaks about him being ready to resume basketball activities in 8 weeks, and then he'll be able to progress to full contact stuff in 12 weeks. That would give him a full off-season to improve his game. Hopefully the coaching staff we put in place is better in player development and he can spend more time in Los Angeles this off-season, compared to what he did last off-season.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26281414/ingram-surgery-ready-2019-20
Image
Landsberger
Head Coach
Posts: 6,317
And1: 1,299
Joined: Jul 04, 2016
 

Re: Brandon Ingram Thread (merged) 

Post#633 » by Landsberger » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:54 pm

TylersLakers wrote: "This couldn't have been a better set of facts for a clot," Ingram's agent, Jeff Schwartz of Excel Sports Management, told ESPN.

With uncertainty surrounding Ingram's condition in the past week, former NBA players who were forced to retire because of blood clot issues -- namely Chris Bosh and Mirza Teletovic -- were often cited as comparable cases to Ingram. However, Ingram, the Lakers' No. 2 pick out of Duke in 2016, had a condition that was linked to the makeup of his body, not the makeup of his blood.

"It's a night-and-day difference between a hematological issue, or a blood issue however you want to put it, and a structural issue," Schwartz told ESPN. "This was not related to his blood producing something that would cause blood clots. This was purely structural."


Very good news. Hopefully it's not just agent speak of trying to calm the waters, especially with Ingram up for an extension. But this doesn't seem likely at all to be an issue going forward. The article also speaks about him being ready to resume basketball activities in 8 weeks, and then he'll be able to progress to full contact stuff in 12 weeks. That would give him a full off-season to improve his game. Hopefully the coaching staff we put in place is better in player development and he can spend more time in Los Angeles this off-season, compared to what he did last off-season.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26281414/ingram-surgery-ready-2019-20


At the very least the 2 are related from what I know of my Brother-in-law's situation. The other answer here is what Kilroy noted.... PED's. That has been known to cause clots and muscles that are growing naturally fast.

As for Agent speak.... Agents are Attorneys. Need I say more? :lol:
Wasabi_Johnson
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,129
And1: 1,726
Joined: Jan 07, 2012

Re: Brandon Ingram Thread (merged) 

Post#634 » by Wasabi_Johnson » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:17 pm

PEDs don't make you shoot better. Also wouldn't cause a structural blood clot from my understanding.
User avatar
gts1
Starter
Posts: 2,468
And1: 1,225
Joined: May 20, 2014
Location: Los Angeles
 

Re: Brandon Ingram Thread (merged) 

Post#635 » by gts1 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:48 pm

TylersLakers wrote: "This couldn't have been a better set of facts for a clot," Ingram's agent, Jeff Schwartz of Excel Sports Management, told ESPN.

With uncertainty surrounding Ingram's condition in the past week, former NBA players who were forced to retire because of blood clot issues -- namely Chris Bosh and Mirza Teletovic -- were often cited as comparable cases to Ingram. However, Ingram, the Lakers' No. 2 pick out of Duke in 2016, had a condition that was linked to the makeup of his body, not the makeup of his blood.

"It's a night-and-day difference between a hematological issue, or a blood issue however you want to put it, and a structural issue," Schwartz told ESPN. "This was not related to his blood producing something that would cause blood clots. This was purely structural."


Very good news. Hopefully it's not just agent speak of trying to calm the waters, especially with Ingram up for an extension. But this doesn't seem likely at all to be an issue going forward. The article also speaks about him being ready to resume basketball activities in 8 weeks, and then he'll be able to progress to full contact stuff in 12 weeks. That would give him a full off-season to improve his game. Hopefully the coaching staff we put in place is better in player development and he can spend more time in Los Angeles this off-season, compared to what he did last off-season.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26281414/ingram-surgery-ready-2019-20


I was reading about this last night.. what happens is when he had the injury it pinched off a vein stopping or limiting blood flow thus forming a clot, it has something do with how the rib bone and collar bone attach so they fix the structural problem which will prevent this from happening again
Wife: "you haven't heard a single thing I said"
Me: that's a funny way to start a conversation...
User avatar
Slink
Senior
Posts: 721
And1: 316
Joined: Jul 04, 2017
   

Re: Brandon Ingram Thread (merged) 

Post#636 » by Slink » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:02 am

Funny that people are thinking PEDs. BI must be taking the wrong ones, because he's still a stick figure.
wco81
Head Coach
Posts: 7,266
And1: 1,714
Joined: Jul 04, 2013
     

Re: Brandon Ingram Thread (merged) 

Post#637 » by wco81 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:29 am

Until he has a full season without issues, there’s going to be a cloud over him.

I would think that the Lakers or any team would be wary about committ8ng big, long term money unless he can show that this problem is gone.
karkinos
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,070
And1: 1,377
Joined: Nov 06, 2009

Re: Can Brandon Ingram really take the next step? 

Post#638 » by karkinos » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:10 pm

Landsberger wrote:I don't discount the click bait take here, but there is a genetic test that is pretty quick and very accurate to show if you have one of the more serious Hypercoagulable conditions. You don't have to have it reoccur to have the condition.


clotting disorders are more complicated that genetic tests.
genetic tests are only one facet of the equation and quite frankly, of those most common ones, aren't that serious.

young athlete with millions of dollars on the line with an upper extremity clot, which is already more rare than the standard lower extremity dvt or pulmonary embolism? when you hear hooves, think horses, not zebras.

all this talk about anatomy of vessels or that someone hit him...possible but unlikely. underlying anatomy predisposing one to recurrent clots is a very specific condition called may thurner syndrome and it is in a very specific location, which happens to be nowhere near the arm. trauma causing a clot typically manifests after a major injury causing structural damage such as a fracture.

the other possibility is that he had instrumentation, such as a catheter placed, that could also provoke a clot.

it is almost too easy to work in the media with zero accountability for whatever garbage they put out as "news".
User avatar
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 51,664
And1: 10,521
Joined: Aug 02, 2005
     

Re: Brandon Ingram Thread (merged) 

Post#639 » by dockingsched » Tue Apr 9, 2019 6:40 pm

Was reading an old article about the Jim/Mitch firing, I had totally forgotten that Magic was actually brought on before Jim/Mitch were fired, and supposedly Jeanie didn’t decide to fire them until after witnessing how Jim and Mitch handled that deadline.

https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/98223130

One of the huge issues that Jeanie and Magic apparently had was that Mitch and Jim didn’t keep them in the loop regarding the Cousins-Kings trade, where Mitch refused to include Ingram. If it were up to Jeanie and Magic, Ingram would’ve been shipped out.

Couple of years later, you guys feel like Mitch deserves credit for preventing that trade, blame, or hard to tell?
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
User avatar
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
Posts: 16,475
And1: 7,170
Joined: Jul 10, 2006
Location: The Motel 9 in Vegas
       

Re: Brandon Ingram Thread (merged) 

Post#640 » by Kilroy » Tue Apr 9, 2019 7:08 pm

dockingsched wrote:Was reading an old article about the Jim/Mitch firing, I had totally forgotten that Magic was actually brought on before Jim/Mitch were fired, and supposedly Jeanie didn’t decide to fire them until after witnessing how Jim and Mitch handled that deadline.

https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/98223130

One of the huge issues that Jeanie and Magic apparently had was that Mitch and Jim didn’t keep them in the loop regarding the Cousins-Kings trade, where Mitch refused to include Ingram. If it were up to Jeanie and Magic, Ingram would’ve been shipped out.

Couple of years later, you guys feel like Mitch deserves credit for preventing that trade, blame, or hard to tell?


Wouldn't Cousins have prevented us from signing LeBron without moving other guys?

Cousins contract with GSW is about what I'd be comfortable paying him... He's a numbskull who needs a strong core ahead of him to keep him in line... So the youngsters here would have been a disaster scenario for him...

I'm glad we didn't do it. And it doesn't even have that much to do with Ingram for me... I'm just glad Cousins is someone else's headache.

That said, if we can't land Davis, but do land Kawhi or KD, adding Cousins as a 3rd option on a tight leash, wouldn't be the worst thing in the world for the right money.
Adrian "ThaClippers" Wojnarowski

Return to Los Angeles Lakers