ImageImageImageImageImage

Magic/Pelinka/F.O. Thread (merged)

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,246

Re: Magic/Pelinka/F.O. Thread (merged) 

Post#421 » by wco81 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:48 pm

Yeah it would be odd if she cares more about Kobe's opinion than her brothers' opinions.
kblo247
RealGM
And1: 2,130

Post#422 » by kblo247 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:47 pm

wco81 wrote:Yeah it would be odd if she cares more about Kobe's opinion than her brothers' opinions.

Not odd. Kobe had Jerry's ear. Jim didn't want Phil back but Kobe wanted to win, JEanie wanted it and Phil came back after his book. Jim didn't want to put talent around Kobe so Kobe threw a tantrum and he returned and signed Fisher to money he wouldn't give a younger Fisher, made the Ariza trades, and dealt for Pau. Jim and Mitch couldn't come to terms with Fisher or Odom for new deals but Kobe went to Jerry and Jerry paid them both. Jeanie went to Kobe when she asked if she should actually fire Jim and Mitch and he said yes they weren't doing their job correctly, so she did.

Say whatever you want about Kobe, but he has no problem being the villain and then telling you I'm the villain and said or did that **** which to a person like Jeanie holds clout
Michael Lucky
RealGM
And1: 6,513

Post#423 » by Michael Lucky » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:53 pm

Slava wrote:
wco81 wrote:Maybe Kobe still has a lot of influence with Jeannie and she doesn't want to offend him or thinks Pelinka deserves to keep his job?

Jessie and Joey Buss are co-owners and run parts of the scouting, G-league teams. They should be able to overrule anything Kobe tells Jeannie.

I dont know how much i trust Jeannie and her family relationships. She already hates her two full blood elder brothers. Mind you she has reasons and honestly so do they.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,674

Post#424 » by dockingsched » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:22 pm

Just months earlier, Pelinka was mostly cut out of trade talks between L.A. and New Orleans, with the Pelicans preferring to deal directly with Johnson, multiple league sources told ESPN.

Does anyone else think this is a totally bad look for Magic? I mean, how do you let another team drive a wedge between your front office like that? Either you support your GM and tell the Pelicans to deal with Rob or kick dirt...or you replace your GM cause he’s not able to perform his job.

I don’t believe there’s any way to excuse what Magic did, and it was probably due to his sole focus to get that second superstar; which he then made worse by those player meetings he held which almost everyone is saying were a joke.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
Landsberger
General Manager
And1: 1,969

Post#425 » by Landsberger » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:28 pm

dockingsched wrote:
Just months earlier, Pelinka was mostly cut out of trade talks between L.A. and New Orleans, with the Pelicans preferring to deal directly with Johnson, multiple league sources told ESPN.

Does anyone else think this is a totally bad look for Magic? I mean, how do you let another team drive a wedge between your front office like that? Either you support your GM and tell the Pelicans to deal with Rob or kick dirt...or you replace your GM cause he’s not able to perform his job.

I don’t believe there’s any way to excuse what Magic did, and it was probably due to his sole focus to get that second superstar; which he then made worse by those player meetings he held which almost everyone is saying were a joke.

I think he thinks he's got more clout than he does. That attempted move was and will be damaging to us. It showed that we will do literally anything to get a second superstar.
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 9,818

Post#426 » by TyCobb » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:05 am

Magic tweeting like he found his old joy. He can be himself now.

I don't see Jeanie hiring a new president, besides giving Pelinka the title. I feel he will promote West and just look for a new head coach.
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
BEazy
RealGM
And1: 2,483

Post#427 » by BEazy » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:30 am

I will applaud Rob Pelinka if he promotes Ryan West to GM and Jesse Buss as assistant GM.

Long Live The Black Mamba. Kobe Bean Bryant Laker For Life. 8/24
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 5,390

Post#428 » by Danny Darko » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:31 am

Read on Twitter
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 40,968

Post#429 » by Sedale Threatt » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:55 am

dockingsched wrote:

It's obviously apples and oranges, but it kind of amazes me how somebody could be such an incredible on-court leader and so completely inept off it.
wco81
RealGM

Post#430 » by wco81 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:24 pm

Sedale Threatt wrote:
dockingsched wrote:

It's obviously apples and oranges, but it kind of amazes me how somebody could be such an incredible on-court leader and so completely inept off it.

Same could be said of Jason Kidd. Great knowledge of the game, kind of a basketball savant.

But not the same kind of smarts off the court.
tamaraw08
Analyst
And1: 1,286

Post#431 » by tamaraw08 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:23 pm

Sedale Threatt wrote:
dockingsched wrote:

The Peter Principle is an observation that the tendency in most organizational hierarchies, such as that of a corporation, is for every employee to rise in the hierarchy through promotion until they reach a level of respective incompetence.
Not all great teachers would make a great principal etc.
Jordan's infamous drafts of Morrison, Diop etc. Dumars picking Darko over Anthony, Chris Mullin giving a huge contract to Derek Fisher etc etc.
LakerClipperFan
Sophomore
And1: 30

Post#432 » by LakerClipperFan » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:59 pm

Seems that Klutch is happy with Pelinka, so I think he (Pelinka) will do a fine job for Lakers going forward. I thought Magic was doing a fine job until I heard that interview where he just sounded very conceited. I'm glad that he stepped down, seems he's happier.

Gotta give Pelinka and Magic credit for landing #LABron, the best player of all time.
Penberthy
Sixth Man
And1: 243

Post#433 » by Penberthy » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:10 am

Ya, who wouldda thunk that Magic was conceited....
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#434 » by Kilroy » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:43 am

They basically have the free agency period to convince me to continue wasting my time on this team... If they get either AD, KD or Kawhi, then I won't care too much who the FO is... That said, even if they do get one of those guys, I'm out if we're sitting here the same time next season having this same conversation... Life's too short to care about a team obviously embracing superficial mediocrity...
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
wco81
RealGM

Post#435 » by wco81 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:53 am

Kilroy wrote:They basically have the free agency period to convince me to continue wasting my time on this team... If they get either AD, KD or Kawhi, then I won't care too much who the FO is... That said, even if they do get one of those guys, I'm out if we're sitting here the same time next season having this same conversation... Life's too short to care about a team obviously embracing superficial mediocrity...

How many titles have they won in the time you’ve been following them?

At least 3, maybe 6 if you’re old enough to have seen the Magic teams?

But what have they done lately?
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#436 » by Kilroy » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:15 am

wco81 wrote:
Kilroy wrote:They basically have the free agency period to convince me to continue wasting my time on this team... If they get either AD, KD or Kawhi, then I won't care too much who the FO is... That said, even if they do get one of those guys, I'm out if we're sitting here the same time next season having this same conversation... Life's too short to care about a team obviously embracing superficial mediocrity...

How many titles have they won in the time you’ve been following them?

At least 3, maybe 6 if you’re old enough to have seen the Magic teams?

But what have they done lately?

It's not the same "they"... This "they" are blindingly incompetent at the moment...
The "They" I watched for 10 championships has been systematically erased from the org.

I have no interest in rooting for any other NBA teams, but at the same time, what's the point of rooting for a rudderless team, making obvious mistakes, and with no real path forward?

Understand, I was on board for the last 5 years, during the tanking and the youth movement... I got excited by a few of those prospects...
Only to see them pissed away or clearly viewed primarily as trade bait at best...

And I'm on board this season too... But I'm not impressed with the direction the FO or coaching search is going, I'm not impressed with LeBron, and I don't want this team to turn into a lesser version of the Cleveland teams, with an over the hill, only mildly engaged LeBron either...

So yeah... I'll have no problem being a "fair weather" fan who rooted for this team and only this team for the last few decades...
If it comes to that and this organization can't collectively pull it's head out of its ass...
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
wco81
RealGM

Post#437 » by wco81 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:36 am

Fans of most teams don’t even sniff one title in a decade or two.

Lakers have had advantages going back to at least the time Wilt forced a trade to them.

This struggle to get marquee free agents is a recent and short duration phenomenon. There will be NBA stars who will want to live year round in LA or be dazzled by the bright lights of Hollywood like Shaq was.

So eventually the Lakers will get big stars, even if their current young players develop into stars.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers