Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

nzahir
RealGM
And1: 4,652

Re: What's your top star priority list? 

Post#21 » by nzahir » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:24 pm

what would jack bauer do? wrote:
nzahir wrote:
what would jack bauer do? wrote:Trading Lebron would be the wisest move right now as we're not contenders and Lebron is only getting older and more uncoachable on the defensive end. His value would net us so much at this point and like he said I'm the NBA is a business, Shaq didn't cry foul when he bounced around in his late career.

But the reality of this summer seems to be: Lebron is untradeable in Magic's eyes, Durant won't play with Lebron, Kyrie may be wooed but is heavily linked to the Knicks Durant/kyrie/DeAndre plan, the Pelicans will not trade us AD unless we win a top 4 pick, and Kawhi will be choosing between Toronto and the Clippers.

The main principle behind building the roster this summer must be our starting lineup must be constructed to avoid putting Lebron with another non defender on the floor at the same time. Lebron doesn't play defense consistently, Kuzma is overall a bad defender, and Rondo is a prime example of the headache of bringing a non defender star pg like Kyrie to play next to Lebron in the west looks like. When Lebron/Kuzma/Rondo get heavy rotation minutes together we're 30th in the league in defense.

To bring in Kyrie or Kemba to play with Lebron would essentially be giving up on AD via 2020 free agency. So imo we need to approach this summer with the gamble of internal development turning us into contenders for next season. And as much as the one year contract has destroyed our franchise this decade, we must explore that option again this summer along with bringing in a significant free agent to prevent the roster from being susceptible to injuries derailing an entire season.

That said here is my star free agent priority list, essentially waiting it out for AD

1. Kawhi (not likely)
2. Klay (not likely)
3. Terry Rozier (on a 17mil or less deal)
4. Julius Randle (beg him to return for 17-20mil)

Yep I said it, Terry Rozier or at least a player along that frame of mind. Despite his struggle to play behind kyrie this year, defensively he and Marcus Smart were at the top of the NBA in terms of drpm last season. I would even start the guy if it made him happy. You go all out on defense for us you get to start. I start Lonzo at the other guard slot and we unleash some real defensive firepower on the league. That limits Lonzo's wear and tear chasing pgs as a 6'6" (looks like he grew to 6'7" to me) and you still get Lonzo's defensive prowess which had us at 7th in defense when he played this season.

Other than that I explore the one year deal to shore up the front court or even find a legit big man via the draft. I also explore trading Kuzma and our 2019 pick if it means we get a shot blocking big man that can rebound and outhustle the opposing bigs nightly.

Rozier on a 1 year right?

We need to save cap space for AD so 1 years only and BI needs to be moved or Lonzo next summer to make it all work.

I would rather give big time 1 years than waste cap on Jimmy, Boogie, or even Kemba

Yeah I dont know the number crunch, but if there's a way to get ad, lebron, lonzo, Ingram, and rozier all together in 2020 I do it. The offense will be fine, we can always find shooters on smaller deals. We need defenders at the forefront of he roster.

Numbers don’t work, only one of BI or ZO
Zo gives more space

If we’re waiting for next year, got to move BI
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#22 » by Ballerhogger » Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:01 am

Our whole plan to get top star depends what KD does and GSW do . If he stays and gets his max we can make run at klay . If he goes klay gets the max . Kawhi will stay . So after that we got Kyrie , butler , Kemba and nil Nikola we gotta be land one of those guys and actually team
jc23
RealGM
And1: 10,794

Post#23 » by jc23 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:45 pm

might not mean much but one rumor why stars didnt want to join lebron is because he gets all the credit when he wins and the role guys get the blame when his teams losses. Well now that lebron has missed the playoffs maybe a star will see the narrative being they were the reason the lakers get back in the playoffs as lebron is no longer that dude.
Be curious, Not judgmental
bb22
Starter
And1: 984

Post#24 » by bb22 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:37 pm

1) Acquire 2 of Kyrie/KD/AD/Kawhi through FA signing and trades.
2) Sign one of the above stars, keep everyone else. Hope everyone stays healthy/improves and KD leaves the Warriors.

If those two scenarios fail...
3) Hope to trade Lebron for assets/picks. But this is only remotely possible if NY gets the first pick. No other bottom dweller is giving up Zion for an immediate Lebron James trade demand.
Plus, unless they can somehow negotiate to make the trade a mutual decision between the Lakers and Lebron (which would make Lebron look even worse) the backlash the organization would get would be unprecedented. It would take a toll on future FA singings for several years to come. Would have to clear out the entire FO and possibly even reorganize ownership in order to recuperate.
ozthegap
Senior
And1: 159

Post#25 » by ozthegap » Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:02 am

bb22 wrote:1) Acquire 2 of Kyrie/KD/AD/Kawhi through FA signing and trades.
2) Sign one of the above stars, keep everyone else. Hope everyone stays healthy/improves and KD leaves the Warriors.

If those two scenarios fail...
3) Hope to trade Lebron for assets/picks. But this is only remotely possible if NY gets the first pick. No other bottom dweller is giving up Zion for an immediate Lebron James trade demand.
Plus, unless they can somehow negotiate to make the trade a mutual decision between the Lakers and Lebron (which would make Lebron look even worse) the backlash the organization would get would be unprecedented. It would take a toll on future FA singings for several years to come. Would have to clear out the entire FO and possibly even reorganize ownership in order to recuperate.

idk, if the wizards somehow get zion, their front office/ownership might be just stupid enough to trade Zion for LeBron and Lonzo if the Lakers also take back Wall's contract. But that **** isn't worth it.
BEazy
RealGM
And1: 2,483

Post#26 » by BEazy » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:37 am

Kyrie, AD, Kawhi.

Long Live The Black Mamba. Kobe Bean Bryant Laker For Life. 8/24
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,725

Post#27 » by madmaxmedia » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:56 pm

Kilroy wrote:KD is good enough right now, but not a whole lot younger than LeBron... Klay would be great as a 3rd wheel... Butler is almost as uncoachable as LeBron at this point, not sure I see that as a fruitful union... Kyrie is also a great 3rd wheel on a championship team...
Cousins is the black plague...

KD is 4 years younger, which is basically an entire contract. I think he's great enough that you don't look that gift horse in the mouth if he were actually interesting in signing here. Sure he'll get old himself in 3-4 years. But he's good enough to build a title contender with right now, so I'd say you can figure out the rest later.

I'd rather sign KD outright than trade away everything for AD. Of course in either scenario there would be other moves to fill out the roster (or hypothetically both moves together.)
LakerClipperFan
Sophomore
And1: 30

Post#28 » by LakerClipperFan » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:14 am

Klay or Kyrie make most sense around #LABron. You guys who are talking about "trading LeBron" do not realize our long term plan of KEEPING a blockbuster superstar in L.A. until retirement. The statue out front of Staples, jersey retirement, etc...

There is ZERO chance that we will trade the greatest player ever.
SlimShady83
General Manager
And1: 1,175

Post#29 » by SlimShady83 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:22 am

LakerClipperFan wrote: You guys who are talking about "trading LeBron" do not realize our long term plan of KEEPING a blockbuster superstar in L.A. until retirement.

LOL

The problem with that is, that everyone wants to beat Bron not play with him - I think we'll wind up with Kyrie, I just don't see anyone else wanting to play with Bron IMO

I like Kyrie, but to have him and him alone after Bron goes as a your main guy <> sheet let's hope we can get AD after Kyrie
Bring back Defense
LakerClipperFan
Sophomore
And1: 30

Post#30 » by LakerClipperFan » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:25 pm

Klutch guys AD, Draymond are both possibilities. Some of this is hangover effect from Bryant - whom nobody came to play with. Bron is WAY better than Bryant, like WAY better.

For a long time, no FA wanted to sign with Lakers. Now that the Lakers signed a massive free agent in LeBron James, you think they're going to trade him away as he averages nearly a triple double, efficiently? Of course not. He's also been great for business.

Everyone wants to beat the Warriors as well. When you're on top, everyone is gunning for you.

SlimShady83 wrote:
LakerClipperFan wrote: You guys who are talking about "trading LeBron" do not realize our long term plan of KEEPING a blockbuster superstar in L.A. until retirement.

LOL

The problem with that is, that everyone wants to beat Bron not play with him - I think we'll wind up with Kyrie, I just don't see anyone else wanting to play with Bron IMO

I like Kyrie, but to have him and him alone after Bron goes as a your main guy <> sheet let's hope we can get AD after Kyrie

Return to Los Angeles Lakers