ImageImageImageImageImage

ESPN: LAL will not replace Magic, Pelinka will report directly to ownership

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, LLcoleJ, Danny Darko

User avatar
myersia
Analyst
Posts: 3,133
And1: 637
Joined: Feb 08, 2011
     

Re: Search for next president: LAT- Jeanie has no plans to replace Magic 

Post#301 » by myersia » Thu May 9, 2019 9:39 pm

dockingsched wrote:
myersia wrote:
TyCobb wrote:No Lue, no Magic, no Williams, no contact with people still in playoffs for POB, what exactly have missed out on? Oram is the only one throwing a fit because he is trying to get banned so he can cover the Blazers and live in Oregon.

I ain't worried bout nuthin.


So happy someone feels the same way. Thank you Ty. But I would say a statement would be nice from FO.


Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app


The problem with this point of view is that you’re totally ignoring the process by which the team finds themselves in this situation. If the process is off, any success you have is just going to be based on luck.

Im happy Magic is gone, but he’s not gone cause Jeanie decided he wasn’t right for the job, he’s gone cause he inexplicably re-signed without warning anyone.

I didn’t know whether Lue was right for the job or not, but the Lakers sure did and offered the job, only reason he’s not the coach is cause they cheaped out. It’s not cause they have a brain trust that didn’t think he should be hired.

In hindsight it’s the same criticism that was valid against Jim/Mitch. They didn’t save their cap space summer after summer cause they were smart with who to offer a contract to, it’s cause no one they offered it to would accept. We saw how that process eventually led to disaster with Mozgov and Deng.


Exactly the difference though is we have a good young core who we can only hope gets better and we still have one of the greatest to ever play for now. I think we will be fine. I really do. This is unfortunate but yes I do not have any evidence to suggest for certain we will be okay but we have more to play with this time around via trades and cap space. Still think Kyrie will consider us


Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
User avatar
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 51,429
And1: 10,011
Joined: Aug 02, 2005
     

Re: Search for next president: LAT- Jeanie has no plans to replace Magic 

Post#302 » by dockingsched » Thu May 9, 2019 9:46 pm

Sounds like your focus is more on seeing an error and fixing that one error without any thought to what caused the error and how future errors can be avoided.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
User avatar
Pythagoras
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,531
And1: 968
Joined: Aug 15, 2012
Location: KC, Mo
     

Re: Search for next president: LAT- Jeanie has no plans to replace Magic 

Post#303 » by Pythagoras » Thu May 9, 2019 10:16 pm

dockingsched wrote:
myersia wrote:
TyCobb wrote:No Lue, no Magic, no Williams, no contact with people still in playoffs for POB, what exactly have missed out on? Oram is the only one throwing a fit because he is trying to get banned so he can cover the Blazers and live in Oregon.

I ain't worried bout nuthin.


So happy someone feels the same way. Thank you Ty. But I would say a statement would be nice from FO.


Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app


The problem with this point of view is that you’re totally ignoring the process by which the team finds themselves in this situation. If the process is off, any success you have is just going to be based on luck.

Im happy Magic is gone, but he’s not gone cause Jeanie decided he wasn’t right for the job, he’s gone cause he inexplicably re-signed without warning anyone.

I didn’t know whether Lue was right for the job or not, but the Lakers sure did and offered the job, only reason he’s not the coach is cause they cheaped out. It’s not cause they have a brain trust that didn’t think he should be hired.

In hindsight it’s the same criticism that was valid against Jim/Mitch. They didn’t save their cap space summer after summer cause they were smart with who to offer a contract to, it’s cause no one they offered it to would accept. We saw how that process eventually led to disaster with Mozgov and Deng.


This.

Process > results. Every time. All the time.

Incidentally it’s also why I didn’t like the D’Lo trade, even if you could argue it worked out in our favor.
Numbers rule the universe.
Image Image
User avatar
Sushisensei26
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,529
And1: 507
Joined: May 16, 2017
     

Re: Search for next president: LAT- Jeanie has no plans to replace Magic 

Post#304 » by Sushisensei26 » Thu May 9, 2019 10:35 pm

As far as I am concerned only pure dumb luck will right this ship as long as these same people are in charge of making decisions. It can happen.

One day Kawhi just wakes up and says hey Uncle you're right. Lets go be a Laker. Or Danny Ainge develops cerebral malaria and fires Brad Stevens who also wakes up and says hey man lets go coach the Lakers. So what if their owner is clueless and their GM/President is a total weirdo snake. Then we can say what a master stroke it was to "walk away" from Lue.
User avatar
myersia
Analyst
Posts: 3,133
And1: 637
Joined: Feb 08, 2011
     

Re: Search for next president: LAT- Jeanie has no plans to replace Magic 

Post#305 » by myersia » Thu May 9, 2019 10:38 pm

dockingsched wrote:Sounds like your focus is more on seeing an error and fixing that one error without any thought to what caused the error and how future errors can be avoided.


I understand our situation. But I want to hear from our front office and not bogus media who love the sexy story that is the destruction of the lakers.


Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
User avatar
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
Posts: 37,069
And1: 8,565
Joined: Apr 17, 2005
Location: Pitcher's Mound
     

Re: Search for next president: LAT- Jeanie has no plans to replace Magic 

Post#306 » by TyCobb » Fri May 10, 2019 12:35 am

dockingsched wrote:The problem with this point of view is that you’re totally ignoring the process by which the team finds themselves in this situation. If the process is off, any success you have is just going to be based on luck.

Im happy Magic is gone, but he’s not gone cause Jeanie decided he wasn’t right for the job, he’s gone cause he inexplicably re-signed without warning anyone.

I didn’t know whether Lue was right for the job or not, but the Lakers sure did and offered the job, only reason he’s not the coach is cause they cheaped out. It’s not cause they have a brain trust that didn’t think he should be hired.

In hindsight it’s the same criticism that was valid against Jim/Mitch. They didn’t save their cap space summer after summer cause they were smart with who to offer a contract to, it’s cause no one they offered it to would accept. We saw how that process eventually led to disaster with Mozgov and Deng.


How? The luck arrived last offseason when Lebron chose the Lakers. If anything, the FO has shown great judgement by not offering anything longer to a coaching puppet to match for Lebron's time here. Every success we have will be from Lebron. Winning, recruiting players, all of it.

Magic quit because he wants the credit behind the Lakers turnaround. However, he ain't on the court no more.
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
User avatar
myersia
Analyst
Posts: 3,133
And1: 637
Joined: Feb 08, 2011
     

Re: Search for next president: LAT- Jeanie has no plans to replace Magic 

Post#307 » by myersia » Fri May 10, 2019 12:42 am

TyCobb wrote:
dockingsched wrote:The problem with this point of view is that you’re totally ignoring the process by which the team finds themselves in this situation. If the process is off, any success you have is just going to be based on luck.

Im happy Magic is gone, but he’s not gone cause Jeanie decided he wasn’t right for the job, he’s gone cause he inexplicably re-signed without warning anyone.

I didn’t know whether Lue was right for the job or not, but the Lakers sure did and offered the job, only reason he’s not the coach is cause they cheaped out. It’s not cause they have a brain trust that didn’t think he should be hired.

In hindsight it’s the same criticism that was valid against Jim/Mitch. They didn’t save their cap space summer after summer cause they were smart with who to offer a contract to, it’s cause no one they offered it to would accept. We saw how that process eventually led to disaster with Mozgov and Deng.


How? The luck arrived last offseason when Lebron chose the Lakers. If anything, the FO has shown great judgement by not offering anything longer to a coaching puppet to match for Lebron's time here. Every success we have will be from Lebron. Winning, recruiting players, all of it.

Magic quit because he wants the credit behind the Lakers turnaround. However, he ain't on the court no more.


110%. (Bows down).


Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
User avatar
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
Posts: 16,057
And1: 4,165
Joined: Jun 24, 2005
         

Re: Search for next president: LAT- Jeanie has no plans to replace Magic 

Post#308 » by Danny Darko » Fri May 10, 2019 1:29 am

We wanted Riles, Jerry, or Bob

And instead we got...Rambii

full article on the Rambii:

http://tbrnews.com/sports/lakers-through-and-through/article_1893e2b9-5de3-5bb7-8e1c-8c6c0ea74edb.html
Image
User avatar
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 10,731
And1: 9,358
Joined: Jul 13, 2014

Re: Search for next president: LAT- Jeanie has no plans to replace Magic 

Post#309 » by zimpy27 » Fri May 10, 2019 2:48 am

TyCobb wrote:
dockingsched wrote:The problem with this point of view is that you’re totally ignoring the process by which the team finds themselves in this situation. If the process is off, any success you have is just going to be based on luck.

Im happy Magic is gone, but he’s not gone cause Jeanie decided he wasn’t right for the job, he’s gone cause he inexplicably re-signed without warning anyone.

I didn’t know whether Lue was right for the job or not, but the Lakers sure did and offered the job, only reason he’s not the coach is cause they cheaped out. It’s not cause they have a brain trust that didn’t think he should be hired.

In hindsight it’s the same criticism that was valid against Jim/Mitch. They didn’t save their cap space summer after summer cause they were smart with who to offer a contract to, it’s cause no one they offered it to would accept. We saw how that process eventually led to disaster with Mozgov and Deng.


How? The luck arrived last offseason when Lebron chose the Lakers. If anything, the FO has shown great judgement by not offering anything longer to a coaching puppet to match for Lebron's time here. Every success we have will be from Lebron. Winning, recruiting players, all of it.

Magic quit because he wants the credit behind the Lakers turnaround. However, he ain't on the court no more.


Can't they just hire him for 4 and then dump him after 3 if LeBron leaves, keep him if he stays. They are paying Deng and that actually counts against the cap.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
LAKESHOW
RealGM
Posts: 10,377
And1: 1,132
Joined: Mar 14, 2002
Location: HOME OF THE 16 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!

Re: Search for next president: LAT- Jeanie has no plans to replace Magic 

Post#310 » by LAKESHOW » Fri May 10, 2019 3:05 pm

Aw what the hell. SHAQ.
Home of the 16 Time World Champions
User avatar
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 51,429
And1: 10,011
Joined: Aug 02, 2005
     

Re: Search for next president: LAT- Jeanie has no plans to replace Magic 

Post#311 » by dockingsched » Sat May 11, 2019 9:37 pm

From Woj:

Vogel's emerging candidacy speaks to the significant influence of Lakers adviser Kurt Rambis and former coach Phil Jackson, whose opinions weigh heavily with owner Jeanie Buss. Vogel was the runner-up to Jeff Hornacek when Jackson hired a New York Knicks replacement for Derek Fisher in the summer of 2016.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 57,374
And1: 28,442
Joined: Oct 15, 2006
Location: København
     

Re: Search for next president: LAT- Jeanie has no plans to replace Magic 

Post#312 » by Slava » Sat May 11, 2019 10:57 pm

We're the Knicks.
:king:
RamonSessions7
General Manager
Posts: 9,522
And1: 1,980
Joined: Feb 21, 2009
   

Re: Search for next president: LAT- Jeanie has no plans to replace Magic 

Post#313 » by RamonSessions7 » Sat May 11, 2019 10:57 pm

dockingsched wrote:From Woj:

Vogel's emerging candidacy speaks to the significant influence of Lakers adviser Kurt Rambis and former coach Phil Jackson, whose opinions weigh heavily with owner Jeanie Buss. Vogel was the runner-up to Jeff Hornacek when Jackson hired a New York Knicks replacement for Derek Fisher in the summer of 2016.

Just what we needed to add to our FO. Some of the flair of the Knicks successful FO.
Image
User avatar
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
Posts: 16,057
And1: 4,165
Joined: Jun 24, 2005
         

Re: Search for next president: LAT- Jeanie has no plans to replace Magic 

Post#314 » by Danny Darko » Sun May 12, 2019 7:56 am

Read on Twitter
Image
User avatar
kblo247
RealGM
Posts: 12,127
And1: 1,530
Joined: Apr 16, 2011

Re: Search for next president: LAT- Jeanie has no plans to replace Magic 

Post#315 » by kblo247 » Sun May 12, 2019 8:54 am

Slava wrote:We're the Knicks.

wait for Melo to sign this summer
Image
User avatar
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 51,429
And1: 10,011
Joined: Aug 02, 2005
     

Re: Search for next president: LAT- Jeanie has no plans to replace Magic 

Post#316 » by dockingsched » Fri May 17, 2019 10:11 pm

In case there was any doubt

Read on Twitter
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
User avatar
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
Posts: 16,191
And1: 6,880
Joined: Jul 10, 2006
Location: The Motel 9 in Vegas
       

Re: ESPN: LAL will not replace Magic, Pelinka will report directly to ownership 

Post#317 » by Kilroy » Fri May 17, 2019 11:01 pm

Doesn't matter to me anymore... Just deliver the championship contender you promised us 2 years ago or sell the team...
And preferably do it with a minimum of public dysfunction and embarrassment to your fans.
Caution: People on the internet are stupider than they appear.
LAKESHOW
RealGM
Posts: 10,377
And1: 1,132
Joined: Mar 14, 2002
Location: HOME OF THE 16 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!

Re: ESPN: LAL will not replace Magic, Pelinka will report directly to ownership 

Post#318 » by LAKESHOW » Fri May 17, 2019 11:24 pm

Jeanie, we just Fn wanna win! Get the damn job done!
Home of the 16 Time World Champions
User avatar
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 10,731
And1: 9,358
Joined: Jul 13, 2014

Re: ESPN: LAL will not replace Magic, Pelinka will report directly to ownership 

Post#319 » by zimpy27 » Sat May 18, 2019 2:06 am

Kilroy wrote:Doesn't matter to me anymore... Just deliver the championship contender you promised us 2 years ago or sell the team...
And preferably do it with a minimum of public dysfunction and embarrassment to your fans.


That's impossible
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
lakerRD
Analyst
Posts: 3,491
And1: 639
Joined: May 16, 2007
       

Re: ESPN: LAL will not replace Magic, Pelinka will report directly to ownership 

Post#320 » by lakerRD » Sat May 18, 2019 3:06 am

There are just just too many cooks in the kitchen and none of them know how to cook.
I mean Jeanie, Pelinka, the Rambi, even Phil is metaling in from afar .
It was probably worse when Magic was there.
It’s dysfunctional but it’s fixable.
Ironically the best thing we got going for us from an FA recruitment standpoint may be LBJ.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers