Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

Pythagoras
Analyst
And1: 3,282

Re: Free Agent Possibilities 

Post#121 » by Pythagoras » Thu May 9, 2019 11:26 am

tamaraw08 wrote:
Pythagoras wrote:
slifersd wrote:Stay honest with ourselves, and focus our energy on guys like Vucevic and Kemba. We are quite simply not going to be a strong contender for the top level stars and we need to make sure we don't strike out this summer. Focus on the second or third tier guys and make sure they fit right next to LBJ.

I honestly don’t think there’s that much of a difference between Kemba and Kyrie. He’s also got a pretty low amount of tread on the tires and I think he’s a pretty safe player to maintain his production over the next 4 years.

Kyrie with a career 39% from the 3pt area is a much better shooter than Kemba who has a career 35%. Walker is more streaky but has been relatively healthier unlike Irving who has his share of injuries which is a risk but he also has proven to work really well next to Lebron esp under Lue.
But I understand that there are also risks involved with Kyrie signing elsewhere. Vegas odds had him most likely going to Brooklyn but to me, Kobe can actually reach out to him after he plays his final game with Boston bec Bryant is technically not with the Lakers and wouldn't be accused for tampering. Jeanie took in the rookie Pelinka (with mixed results) bec of Kobe, not it's time for Bryant to help this team again.

Kyrie is a better player yes. My issue is the massive amount of baggage he comes with. As you mentioned, he’s far more injury prone. Additionally, he’s emo af. He was whiny and unhappy in Cleveland. He’s been whiny and unhappy in Boston. I know people think there are specific reasons for each case, but I just think his problem is he’s an immature diva. Then, there’s the fact that he’s probably going to be harder to woo than Kemba.

I just don’t care to watch a soap opera unfold again. LeBron already brings enough ego and drama, I don’t care to see Kyrie come here and add to that.
Numbers rule the universe.
Froob
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,322

Post#122 » by Froob » Thu May 9, 2019 2:38 pm

Is Rondo expected to return? You guys can have Kyrie I don't care, but I want Rondo back lol. He didn't seem to be a good fit in LA, do people want him back?

Tommy Heinsohn wrote:The game is not over until they look you in the face and start crying.

RIP The_Hater
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#123 » by Slava » Thu May 9, 2019 3:21 pm

Froob wrote:Is Rondo expected to return? You guys can have Kyrie I don't care, but I want Rondo back lol. He didn't seem to be a good fit in LA, do people want him back?

I don't think Rondo belongs in the NBA let alone Los Angeles.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,254

Post#124 » by wco81 » Thu May 9, 2019 4:36 pm

Thread needs a poll of the top targets.

So many names tossed out but what is the Lakers' greatest need?

A ball-dominant guy like Kawhi or Kyrie to take turns with Lebron? Then what do the young players do, take whatever scraps are left?
Pythagoras
Analyst
And1: 3,282

Post#125 » by Pythagoras » Thu May 9, 2019 5:24 pm

Froob wrote:Is Rondo expected to return? You guys can have Kyrie I don't care, but I want Rondo back lol. He didn't seem to be a good fit in LA, do people want him back?

I don’t think Rondo will be back, but you guys can do better than Rondo. He’s less than a shell of the player he was when he was with you guys and he basically single handedly cost us the playoffs this year.
Numbers rule the universe.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,979

Post#126 » by zimpy27 » Thu May 9, 2019 7:01 pm

wco81 wrote:Thread needs a poll of the top targets.

So many names tossed out but what is the Lakers' greatest need?

A ball-dominant guy like Kawhi or Kyrie to take turns with Lebron? Then what do the young players do, take whatever scraps are left?

I think AD trade will be a go unless they get Durant
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,679

Post#127 » by dockingsched » Sat May 11, 2019 7:01 pm

Read on Twitter
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
Sushisensei26
Sixth Man
And1: 614

Post#128 » by Sushisensei26 » Sat May 11, 2019 7:22 pm

ROballer wrote:Someone needs to photoshop Lebron's head on Thanos' body already and bring out his Endgame quote.

"You couldn't live with your own failure, and where did that bring you? Back to me".

Yeah, I'm talking about you Kyrie. It's done. He's our summer signing, whether we like it or not.

This is where I am too. I think this is gonna happen because FA's like Kawhi are never gonna want to join this circus. At this point (almost desperate) I am OK with Kyrie too. He will improve us and he knows how to play with Lebron. He's a Kobe guy so he'd like playing for his team.

Bring on Kyrie. Its the best we can hope for right now and it's not so bad. Especially if we can follow it up with trading BI and Lonzo and a pick or 2 for AD. Now THAT would be a contender.

There's still a path for us to get this **** done but our galactic levels of incompetence really scare me. We aren't in a massive hole that gonna take us years to climb out of. We are 2 good moves away from being a contender.
wco81
RealGM

Post#129 » by wco81 » Sat May 11, 2019 7:27 pm

I don't know, Kyrie is still being linked to NY and KD.

Read on Twitter
Sushisensei26
Sixth Man

Post#130 » by Sushisensei26 » Sat May 11, 2019 7:32 pm

wco81 wrote:I don't know, Kyrie is still being linked to NY and KD.

Read on Twitter

To be honest I wouldn't begrudge any FA (even Kemba) not wanting to come here. Kyrie seems like the one who we can manipulate (using Kobe) and he isn't afraid of Lebron.

If he's smart he'd choose KD (if that's a certainty) over Lebron but hopefully he can be coaxed into a reunion.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#131 » by Kilroy » Sat May 11, 2019 7:33 pm

dockingsched wrote:
Read on Twitter

Ball/Kyrie/Ingram/LeBron/McGee?... With KCP/Hart/Kuz/Wagner off the bench?

That's not a terrible lineup... It'd get us to the second round probably, as long as we avoided Houston and GSW in the first... And unless Denver or the clips get better...

Still think if we get Kyrie, we need to do the AD trade if we want to truly contend... And I worry that his desire to play second fiddle to LeBron might translate to a bigger drop in production than we thought.

Ball/Ingram/Kawhi/LeBron/McGee would be more explosive.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
wco81
RealGM

Post#132 » by wco81 » Sat May 11, 2019 7:37 pm

Kyrie had a horrible playoffs this year but he can still fill it up in the regular season. However, he can't be the #1 guy if you want deep runs in the playoffs.

He'd help the Lakers but what would it do for Ball?

Lakers used #2 picks on Russell and Ball. Those are prime assets that you have to hit on.

Between Lebron and Kyrie taking turns with the ball, there's not much left for the youngsters.

So you'd pretty much have to trade Ball and probably Ingram, who also needs the ball.
Sushisensei26
Sixth Man

Post#133 » by Sushisensei26 » Sat May 11, 2019 7:46 pm

wco81 wrote:Kyrie had a horrible playoffs this year but he can still fill it up in the regular season. However, he can't be the #1 guy if you want deep runs in the playoffs.

Lakers used #2 picks on Russell and Ball. Those are prime assets that you have to hit on.

Between Lebron and Kyrie taking turns with the ball, there's not much left for the youngsters.

So you'd pretty much have to trade Ball and probably Ingram, who also needs the ball.

For sure. If Kyire is here that's the end for BI and Lonzo.

Thing is we can all hope and dream that Kawhi signs with us or KD sings with us but when this organization was in a better standing stars didn't wanna come...……… which sane person is gonna willingly come join this mess now. That's why getting Kyrie isn't bad at all for us. It would a good get no matter what his deficiencies are as a player and a person. He's a big name and that will made Lonzo and BI redundant and instantly tradeable for (hopefully AD) extra help for Lebron and Kyrie.

But all this is contingent on this group of people to make 2 or 3 consecutive competent decisions. That's too much to ask I am afraid.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,979

Post#134 » by zimpy27 » Sun May 12, 2019 3:49 am

dockingsched wrote:
Read on Twitter

Some mounting evidence but who knows, this report could be based on the other reports.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
Landsberger
General Manager
And1: 1,969

Post#135 » by Landsberger » Sun May 12, 2019 5:45 am

wco81 wrote:Kyrie had a horrible playoffs this year but he can still fill it up in the regular season. However, he can't be the #1 guy if you want deep runs in the playoffs.

Exactly right. Everyone wants to keep the kids because we drafted them or because they see future great players. I want the team to be balanced and versatile. Ingram is good at getting his own shot in and around the paint but he's also playing the 2 guard position. Not a great fit. He also is having that success with Bron being focused on by the defense. I think Ingram is the one that needs to go first if we Kyrie not Ball. Ball still has value in keeping the pace up. This upcoming year Ingram's value starts to drop like a rock as he gets closer to FA. We will be in a "Randle" position again with him. Signing him to a max or near max deal or letting him go. I'd rather take our money and get fill in the blank pieces over signing Ingram long term if we get another top scorer like Kyrie.... especially if he's playin the 2 spot next to Ball.
LBC SoCal
Junior
And1: 417

Post#136 » by LBC SoCal » Sun May 12, 2019 6:29 am

I know the rumors are that if Kahwi were to leave Toronta for LA, he would choose the Clippers. But if there's a chance the Lakers can get him, I'd prefer to see him on our roster than any other free agent, including Kyrie.
11 titles won in LA in the modern era, while y’all living on “success” from 2 generations ago :lol:
homecourtloss
RealGM
And1: 17,687

Post#137 » by homecourtloss » Sun May 12, 2019 5:22 pm

Rondo was one of the worst players in the NBA last year. Why would you want him back (unless there’s love for his double agent sabotage :lol:). The fact that the Lakers continued to play him and LeBron together was a fireable offense for the staff unless it was James pushing for it.

LeBron ON court, Rondo OFF

1,336 minutes, 2,835 possessions
Lakers’ ORtg: 113.2 (equivalent to 5th best offense)
Lakers’ DRtg: 107.5 (equivalent to 5th best defense)
NET: +5.8 (equivalent to 4th best rating)

Rondo ON court, LeBron OFF

766 minutes, 1,620 possessions
Lakers’ ORtg: 106.0 (equivalent to 27th best offense)
Lakers’ DRtg: 117.3 (equivalent to 29th best offense)
NET: -11.3 (equivalent to worst net rating)
lessthanjake wrote:Kyrie was extremely impactful without LeBron, and basically had zero impact whatsoever if LeBron was on the court.

lessthanjake wrote: By playing in a way that prevents Kyrie from getting much impact, LeBron ensures that controlling for Kyrie has limited effect…
MAMBAEMD
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,622

Post#138 » by MAMBAEMD » Sun May 12, 2019 6:00 pm

Kawhi and KD should still be our number one targets.
I think Kyrie and Klay are the next tier.
And Kemba the third.

With any of them,
I wouldn’t mind bringing in DAJ to anchor the D.
Formerly lakerRD
tlifeset
Pro Prospect
And1: 92

Post#139 » by tlifeset » Sun May 12, 2019 6:57 pm

"Brian Windhorst and Jackie MacMullan separately suggested there is a possibility of Kyrie Irving signing with the Los Angeles Lakers to reunite with Kyrie Irving"

-Real GM

Probably the most metaphysical report ever.
NBAWestFan
Bench Warmer
And1: 122

Post#140 » by NBAWestFan » Mon May 13, 2019 2:21 pm

lakerRD wrote:Kawhi and KD should still be our number one targets.
I think Kyrie and Klay are the next tier.
And Kemba the third.

With any of them,
I wouldn’t mind bringing in DAJ to anchor the D.

Right

Kyrie I would put below Klay

I got the feeling JJ Reddick might be leaving Philly after last night.
I would pick him up for 3 point shooting. One of the great three point shooting techinques. I would get this guy and retire him as a shooting coach.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers