ImageImageImageImageImage

Free Agent Possibilities

Moderators: Danny Darko, Kilroy, TyCobb

tv24lakers
Junior
And1: 96

Re: Free Agent Possibilities 

Post#241 » by tv24lakers » Sat May 25, 2019 1:46 am

As you’re likely aware, coming into next season the Lakers carry forward 7 players with a collective salary of $65m, that’s inclusive of Luol Deng’s $5m amortized buyout. Next season’s team cap is $109m; equating to approximately $44m for free agency and the draft.

Working w/ this balance I’m struggling to picture a realistic scenario where the Lakers secure a max eligible talent along with the requisite ensemble, that are collectively skilled and loaded to overcome the more seasoned Western Conference teams. This is not to say that skillful maneuvering cannot be accomplished to pool and bring a balanced unit.

With that said my thoughts are to trade for a “highly” talented PF/C or SG to complement Lebron; exchanging Ingram, the 4th pick, and one or more players outside of Kuz, Zo and Lebron. Personally, I’m inclined to swing for Bradley Beal. Playing this scenario out...between the intake of Beals $27m and trading away Ingram and another $2m asset, netting +18m in salary and leaving $26m remaining to fill out the edges.

What’s next? Just to reassess, the makeup now is Zo, Beal, Lebron, Kuz and two backups.

I’m marching into free agency with the mission to build a versatile team, elevating maturity and defensive minded individuals. Listed below are players that I think may fit the bill.

I would like to know your thoughts on the proposal. What parts seem reasonable, absurd, and or downright dreadful?

1a. Darren Collison (PG)
1a. Danny Green (SG) - void if Beal on deck
1b. Terrance Ross (SG) - void if Beal on deck
1a. Marcus Morris (PF)
1b. Bobby Portis (PF)
1a. Dwight Powell (PF/C)
1b. Dewayne Dedmon (PF/C)

*For clarity, the 1a. and 1b. represents preferred and secondary elections by position.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,504

Post#242 » by zimpy27 » Sat May 25, 2019 2:23 am

tv24lakers wrote:As you’re likely aware, coming into next season the Lakers carry forward 7 players with a collective salary of $65m, that’s inclusive of Luol Deng’s $5m amortized buyout. Next season’s team cap is $109m; equating to approximately $44m for free agency and the draft.

Working w/ this balance I’m struggling to picture a realistic scenario where the Lakers secure a max eligible talent along with the requisite ensemble, that are collectively skilled and loaded to overcome the more seasoned Western Conference teams. This is not to say that skillful maneuvering cannot be accomplished to pool and bring a balanced unit.

With that said my thoughts are to trade for a “highly” talented PF/C or SG to complement Lebron; exchanging Ingram, the 4th pick, and one or more players outside of Kuz, Zo and Lebron. Personally, I’m inclined to swing for Bradley Beal. Playing this scenario out...between the intake of Beals $27m and trading away Ingram and another $2m asset, netting +18m in salary and leaving $26m remaining to fill out the edges.

What’s next? Just to reassess, the makeup now is Zo, Beal, Lebron, Kuz and two backups.

I’m marching into free agency with the mission to build a versatile team, elevating maturity and defensive minded individuals. Listed below are players that I think may fit the bill.

I would like to know your thoughts on the proposal. What parts seem reasonable, absurd, and or downright dreadful?

1a. Darren Collison (PG)
1a. Marcus Morris (PF)
1b. Bobby Portis (PF)
1a. Dwight Powell (PF/C)

*For clarity, the 1a. and 1b. represents preferred and secondary elections by position.

$73m actually, you probably didn't include the salary of the #4 pick. $4m for 5 minimum contracts needed too.

So it's $77m. So $32m salary cap, just enough to sign a max FA that has played 7-9 seasons.

Under your plan though
If you don't sign a max FA and decide to trade for Beal with Ingram, pick 4 and 2m asset then you move $16m and take back $27m. So you essentially have $21m left.

However, Lakers could sign a Room MLE at $4.7m. Meaning you probably have $26m to play with. Which is the same number you came to.

I'd say Collison, Green, Dedmon would be good options.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,538

Post#243 » by stan francisco » Sat May 25, 2019 3:08 am

Nurkic is higher value than he’ll get, due to the injury. I’d go after him on the cheap.

If we’re gonna package the number 4 pick it can only be with Kuzma. He plays the same position as the king.

Trading BI now would be to do so at an all-time low value. He’s cleared, right? It isn’t the Bosh degree of severity, is it?
PG: D Lo / Reaves / Vincent(IL) / JHS
SG: Christie / Dinwiddie / Lewis / Mays
SF: LBJ / Prince / Reddish / Windler
PF: Rui / Vando(IL) / LBJ
CTR: AD / Hayes / Wood

Modern era NBA titles:
LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#244 » by zimpy27 » Sat May 25, 2019 3:32 am

stan francisco wrote:Nurkic is higher value than he’ll get, due to the injury. I’d go after him on the cheap.

If we’re gonna package the number 4 pick it can only be with Kuzma. He plays the same position as the king.

Trading BI now would be to do so at an all-time low value. He’s cleared, right? It isn’t the Bosh degree of severity, is it?

It's nothing like Bosh's problem, people just equating it to the same thing. Ingram got it from putting up too many buckets, it can happen to Bball players occasionally.

Still, I'm not really sold on Ingram. He hasn't posted up a single favorable impact stat since he got in the league 3 seasons ago. He seems to finish seasons well and starts them poorly, but even on the average he has the 5th worst RPM in the league amongst guys playing over 30 minutes this season.
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 40,834

Post#245 » by Sedale Threatt » Sat May 25, 2019 4:14 am

Big disappointment so far. About to start his fourth season and we still don't have a clear idea of what he is. You see these flashes of potential, but that RPM -- barf -- is telling. Just not close to being a legit impact player yet.
tv24lakers
Junior

Post#246 » by tv24lakers » Sat May 25, 2019 4:20 am

Frankly, I don’t fully understand all the NBA cap terms and conditions. I found the following article online which suggests an operating cap of $41m.
https://www.spotrac.com/nba/los-angeles-lakers/cap/2019/

Certainly an additional $30m in the pot offers us a lot more possibilities.

Nevertheless, I’m not convinced it’s worth the risk of losing out on a deep team to go after realistically one big fish. Again, I feel it would be in our best interest to surround Lebron, Zo and Kuz with more talented bench and complementary players.

I’m open to the notion of moving Lebron back to the 3 and swinging Kuz to the bench. I would like to see a stretch 4 and 5 on the active roster.
tviper
Sixth Man
And1: 260

Post#247 » by tviper » Sat May 25, 2019 5:30 am

zimpy27 wrote:
tv24lakers wrote:As you’re likely aware, coming into next season the Lakers carry forward 7 players with a collective salary of $65m, that’s inclusive of Luol Deng’s $5m amortized buyout. Next season’s team cap is $109m; equating to approximately $44m for free agency and the draft.

1a. Darren Collison (PG)
1a. Marcus Morris (PF)
1b. Bobby Portis (PF)
1a. Dwight Powell (PF/C)

$73m actually, you probably didn't include the salary of the #4 pick. $4m for 5 minimum contracts needed too.

So it's $77m. So $32m salary cap, just enough to sign a max FA that has played 7-9 seasons.

Under your plan though
If you don't sign a max FA and decide to trade for Beal with Ingram, pick 4 and 2m asset then you move $16m and take back $26m. So you essentially have $22m left.

However, Lakers could sign a Full MLE at $9m and a BAE at $4m before they renounce cap holds. Meaning you probably have $35m to play with.

Signing "a Full MLE" and "BAE" before renouncing cap holds isn't really possible. You can pretend that you are using exceptions, but it isn't really an exception if you are dropping under the cap thereafter. So in your example, signing players for 9M and 4M, then renouncing your cap holds just subtracts 13M from the room under the cap, as it counts in the cap calculation. You definitely don't have $35M to play with, as the numbers would look like this:

$37,436,858
$9,246,000 "MLE"
$8,719,320
$7,265,485
$7,059,360
$3,619,000 "BAE"
$2,063,520
$1,974,600
$1,934,160
$1,416,852
$5,000,000
$87,529,471 total
$21,470,529 cap room

Trading for Beal using cap room in the hypothetical example of Ingram/#4/Mo looks like this:

$37,436,858
$27,093,018
$8,719,320
$1,974,600
$1,934,160
$1,416,852
$5,000,000
$88,957,756 total
$20,042,244 cap room
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#248 » by zimpy27 » Sat May 25, 2019 5:33 am

tviper wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:

1a. Darren Collison (PG)
1a. Marcus Morris (PF)
1b. Bobby Portis (PF)
1a. Dwight Powell (PF/C)

Under your plan though
If you don't sign a max FA and decide to trade for Beal with Ingram, pick 4 and 2m asset then you move $16m and take back $26m. So you essentially have $22m left.

However, Lakers could sign a Full MLE at $9m and a BAE at $4m before they renounce cap holds. Meaning you probably have $35m to play with.

Signing "a Full MLE" and "BAE" before renouncing cap holds isn't really possible. You can pretend that you are using exceptions, but it isn't really an exception if you are dropping under the cap thereafter. So in your example, signing players for 9M and 4M, then renouncing your cap holds just subtracts 13M from the room under the cap, as it counts in the cap calculation. You definitely don't have $35M to play with, as the numbers would look like this:

$37,436,858
$9,246,000 "MLE"
$8,719,320
$7,265,485
$7,059,360
$3,619,000 "BAE"
$2,063,520
$1,974,600
$1,934,160
$1,416,852
$5,000,000
$87,529,471 total
$21,470,529 cap room

Trading for Beal using cap room in the hypothetical example of Ingram/#4/Mo looks like this:

$37,436,858
$27,093,018
$8,719,320
$1,974,600
$1,934,160
$1,416,852
$5,000,000
$88,957,756 total
$20,042,244 cap room

Oh you're right, I forgot it still fills up the cap.
So best just to hold out until the end to use the room $4.7m MLE and then not use any other exception. Hold the BAE for next season.
tviper
Sixth Man
And1: 260

Post#249 » by tviper » Sat May 25, 2019 5:34 am

tv24lakers wrote:Frankly, I don’t fully understand all the NBA cap terms and conditions. I found the following article online which suggests an operating cap of $41m.
https://www.spotrac.com/nba/los-angeles-lakers/cap/2019/

Certainly an additional $30m in the pot offers us a lot more possibilities.

Nevertheless, I’m not convinced it’s worth the risk of losing out on a deep team to go after realistically one big fish. Again, I feel it would be in our best interest to surround Lebron, Zo and Kuz with more talented bench and complementary players.

I’m open to the notion of moving Lebron back to the 3 and swinging Kuz to the bench. I would like to see a stretch 4 and 5 on the active roster.

The $41M doesn't take into account the #4 pick cap hold, which is about 7M. The actual number is $32.5M.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,137

Post#250 » by wco81 » Sat May 25, 2019 6:41 am

Sedale Threatt wrote:Big disappointment so far. About to start his fourth season and we still don't have a clear idea of what he is. You see these flashes of potential, but that RPM -- barf -- is telling. Just not close to being a legit impact player yet.

Year ago, he was considered untouchable. Magic said he wouldn't trade him and a lot of posters here said must keep.

Now it's one thing to trade him for AD but now people are talking about trading him for Beal.

Looks like nobody wants to have to think about giving him a big extension a year from now.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#251 » by zimpy27 » Sat May 25, 2019 6:53 am

wco81 wrote:
Sedale Threatt wrote:Big disappointment so far. About to start his fourth season and we still don't have a clear idea of what he is. You see these flashes of potential, but that RPM -- barf -- is telling. Just not close to being a legit impact player yet.

Year ago, he was considered untouchable. Magic said he wouldn't trade him and a lot of posters here said must keep.

Now it's one thing to trade him for AD but now people are talking about trading him for Beal.

Looks like nobody wants to have to think about giving him a big extension a year from now.

He's inconsistent, he's yet to make a good impact stat, he can't seem to put on a pound of mass and he's started getting random injuries.

Everyone can see that he has something special but he regressed in his 3rd year and he was expected to make a leap.
It might be worth to keep him for a mid-season trade if AD can't be had for him. Just to see if he can follow on from end of last season.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,137

Post#252 » by wco81 » Sat May 25, 2019 7:02 am

How much would Lakers fans pay to keep him? Would they sign him to an extension worth $80-90 million or more over 4-5 years?

Of course there's urgency to go for it while Lebron is under contract.

But if the Warriors three peat and by some miracle KD re-signs for 3-4 years or more, it might be a better strategy to keep Ingram and the younger assets until the Warriors core age out of their prime.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,538

Post#253 » by stan francisco » Sat May 25, 2019 9:31 am

zimpy27 wrote:
stan francisco wrote:Nurkic is higher value than he’ll get, due to the injury. I’d go after him on the cheap.

It's nothing like Bosh's problem, people just equating it to the same thing. Ingram got it from putting up too many buckets, it can happen to Bball players occasionally.

Still, I'm not really sold on Ingram. He hasn't posted up a single favorable impact stat since he got in the league 3 seasons ago. He seems to finish seasons well and starts them poorly, but even on the average he has the 5th worst RPM in the league amongst guys playing over 30 minutes this season.

Glad to hear that about his issue.

I too wish he starts this season in November, not March. I’m also not sold on if he’s all of that. But if he consistently does what he has shown for flashes...?

Stats are misleading. Tall skinny players like Ingram need extra years for adding muscle. I watched his defense like a hawk this season. I saw what he did against Giannis and Durant this season and the previous one. He’s for real. Just skinny and different. I still think it looks like his legs will break right off from being to skinny.

A lot of his numbers contribution (stats) this season from Ingram came when the king and Rondo and Kuzma were injured.

Defense.
PG: D Lo / Reaves / Vincent(IL) / JHS
SG: Christie / Dinwiddie / Lewis / Mays
SF: LBJ / Prince / Reddish / Windler
PF: Rui / Vando(IL) / LBJ
CTR: AD / Hayes / Wood

Modern era NBA titles:
LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4
MyBoyBlu
Junior
And1: 283

Post#254 » by MyBoyBlu » Sat May 25, 2019 9:35 am

If Kawhi/KD doesn't come I think the obvious target is Kyrie. Sign Kyrie, offer Pelicans a take it or leave it offer of #4, BI, Lonzo, future 1st. If they don't take it and Kyrie signs we would still be the 2nd favored team to come out the West IMO with a roster of.

Center signed w/MLE 4.4 / Center signed w/BiE 3.8
Lebron/Kuzma
BI/Hart
Irving/KCP (another 1 year overpay w/his rights)
Lonzo/Garland w/#4 pick.

That team 1-4 would have everything. Ball handlers (Lebron/BI/Irving/Lonzo/Garland), Defense (BI/Lonzo/Hart/KCP), Shooters (Lebron/Kuzma/Irving/KCP/Garland).
tv24lakers
Junior

Post#255 » by tv24lakers » Sat May 25, 2019 11:00 am

Looks like nobody wants to have to think about giving him a big extension a year from now.[/quote]

I feel BI is underutilized with Lebron on the team. He’s a highly skilled talent w/ All Star potential, which is precisely why I think Washington would bite on a BI & #4 swap for Beal.

AD on the other hand is a super-max talent and the Lakers seemingly would have the unload the farm to get him, which would leave us with AD, LBJ and dirt. If you ask me, I don’t see a world where we’re then flooded with skilled players willing to join accepting marginalized salaries.
loveshaq786
Pro Prospect
And1: 86

Post#256 » by loveshaq786 » Sat May 25, 2019 11:58 am

RamonSessions7 wrote:
loveshaq786 wrote:If Bradley Beal is going to take Ingram and the 4th pick, then I say we should just skip on that. I'm sure Philadelphia would take Ingram and do a sign-and-trade for Butler, rather than losing him for nothing.

why are we giving Ingram up for something we could get for cap space?

That's assuming after...we sign kawhi Leonard.
RamonSessions7
RealGM
And1: 4,025

Post#257 » by RamonSessions7 » Sat May 25, 2019 1:21 pm

loveshaq786 wrote:
RamonSessions7 wrote:
loveshaq786 wrote:If Bradley Beal is going to take Ingram and the 4th pick, then I say we should just skip on that. I'm sure Philadelphia would take Ingram and do a sign-and-trade for Butler, rather than losing him for nothing.

why are we giving Ingram up for something we could get for cap space?

That's assuming after...we sign kawhi Leonard.

Then we’d have to send more than Ingram to get closer to salaries, and they tightened the rules on over the cap teams S&T so I don’t think that’s a thing.
tlifeset
Pro Prospect
And1: 92

Post#258 » by tlifeset » Sat May 25, 2019 4:52 pm

Not sure why its not plainly obvious to everyone here... the lakers never offered that package for AD. It was all a lie by demps.

Jeannie and pelinka are both on record saying as much.

Stop offering Lonzo and Ingram in the same package... it never happened and it will never happen.

And while we’re here... the best thing that could happen is to use the max cap slot for any of the free agents and allow us to retain the assets until we can negotiate from a point of leverage.

There are ways for this team to give up very little and end up with kyrie and butler or kyrie and kawhi. You’d be shocked.
tamaraw08
Analyst
And1: 1,235

Post#259 » by tamaraw08 » Sat May 25, 2019 7:11 pm

1a. Darren Collison (PG)
1a. Marcus Morris (PF)
1b. Bobby Portis (PF)
1a. Dwight Powell (PF/C)

Based on the first 4 players you mentioned I think you also want players who can hit the 3pt shot and space the floor. I am so sick and tired of them losing so many games bec they bricked those wide open perimeter shots, shooting under 30% most of the time. I understand that there guys like Fry and Korver who can shoot but also are defensive liabilities but they really need to go after these shooters.
I am hoping Collison will give the Lakers a "discount" as he got paid 10 mil last season, high but just 1 year bec he grew up here in Southern Cal just like Kawhi probably tired of living in the cold city. I am not sure tho that others will take a discount bec they know their ability to hit shots and defend is at a premium right now esp Green and Morris. Ross maybe. If one of them esp Green is open to get paid under 10 Mil, then I will consider it.
tamaraw08
Analyst
And1: 1,235

Post#260 » by tamaraw08 » Sat May 25, 2019 7:22 pm

tlifeset wrote:Not sure why its not plainly obvious to everyone here... the lakers never offered that package for AD. It was all a lie by demps.

Jeannie and pelinka are both on record saying as much.

Stop offering Lonzo and Ingram in the same package... it never happened and it will never happen.

And while we’re here... the best thing that could happen is to use the max cap slot for any of the free agents and allow us to retain the assets until we can negotiate from a point of leverage.

There are ways for this team to give up very little and end up with kyrie and butler or kyrie and kawhi. You’d be shocked.

It just doesn't' make sense to me too that a team like Washington would simply hand over a great player like Beal without actually seeing a healthy Ingram and show he can get back the form he showed before he got injured.
Yes, getting one of those top FA's would make a great difference but IMO, they have to assess who is the best fit for this team.
Butler's mid game style would probably make Ingram's presence redundant. Kyrie to me makes the most sense esp how he has proven to co-exist with Lebron plus he is so much better at shooting the 3 as compared to the streaky Kemba.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers