ImageImageImageImageImage

Magic to appear on ESPN First Take on Monday

Moderators: TyCobb, Kilroy, Danny Darko

Given no other choice, which would you prefer?

Magic still be in charge with Rob gone
11
25%
Rob be in charge with Magic gone
33
75%
 
Total votes: 44

User avatar
Mamba Mentality
RealGM
Posts: 17,329
And1: 7,250
Joined: Feb 04, 2011
 

Re: Magic to appear on ESPN First Take on Monday 

Post#21 » by Mamba Mentality » Mon May 20, 2019 3:28 pm

I didn't get a chance to watch it, but I'm following via twitter and reddit.

1. Magic Johnson just said on First Take that part of the reason he left is that Rob Pelinka was saying things behind his back in the office, implying that he was behind the "Magic isn't working hard enough" rumors (not a direct quote from Magic, just specifying with rumors).

2. When asked to specify about those rumors, if it was just Pelinka or others, he said "No, just Rob."

3. Magic Johnson said that Tim Harris was one of the people stopping him from firing Luke Walton, which he didn't like because he thought he had the power to make decisions.

4. Magic said that multiple agents called him when he got the job and that Pelinka was brought in with him to tell him that he needed to "watch out for" Rob.

5. Magic said that he never asked or tried to fire Pelinka. He just wanted to bring in his own coach. He said at that time he hadn't decided which coach he'd want, but he said that recently he wanted Tyronn Lue because he thought he'd be a great fit.

6. More Magic on Pelinka: "If you want to elevate yourself, I'm all for that... But there's a way to get that, and it's not talking about the person that's above you."

7. Magic said he was happy that Kurt Rambis is back, because he wanted more basketball people in the organization.

8. "I don't know how much he's involved, but he needs to be more involved, because he's an intelligent man in terms of basketball." Magic, on Kobe Bryant

9. More Magic on First take: "If you're going to talk 'betrayal,' that's only with Rob... I didn't like that Tim Harris was too involved in basketball. He's supposed to run the Laker business, but he was trying to come over to our side. Jeanie's gotta stop that."

10. Magic then said that he thought Lue was a "better" choice than Frank Vogel (who the Lakers are introducing today), but says he's going to support Vogel regardless.

11. This won't be the biggest thing Magic said, but he defended taking Lonzo No. 2 when discussing the moves he made as Lakers president of basketball operations: "I know you (Stephen A.) are still against it, but we can debate that, because I think he's an outstanding all-around point guard."

12. Magic Johnson on being reportedly CC'd in emails: "I don't know if emails were sent. I didn't see any emails. I only heard about the emails after Ric (Bucher) said that... I don't know about the emails but if it's true those are the things that bother me."

13. Magic Johnson on whether Jeanie Buss should sell the Lakers: "If she decides to sell, I’ll be knocking on her door."

14. Magic Johnson on Anthony Davis trade negotiations: "I told Dell Demps, 'Let's negotiate in private. What we offer, let's keep it between us.' Dell didn't do that. So, that's how it got out."

15. Magic Johnson on letting Julius Randle and Brook Lopez walk: "The only one we could re-sign was Brook Lopez. I made a mistake."

16. Magic Johnson on which max free agent he wants with the Lakers: "Kawhi and Kyrie are the two guys."


YIKES!
twix2500
RealGM
Posts: 16,053
And1: 11,391
Joined: Dec 25, 2003
   

Re: Magic to appear on ESPN First Take on Monday 

Post#22 » by twix2500 » Mon May 20, 2019 3:30 pm

So Magic said Rob Pelinka Tim Harris, Rambis couple, Phil Jackson, Kobe Bryant and the cook at Papa Johns in the food court had too much say so and decision making that was suppose to be his responsibility. That he will be in meetings and too people at the table. He would tell Jeanie what direction he is deciding to go and billy bob would pop up and say naaww we should sign Rondo as a spot up shooter.
User avatar
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 52,084
And1: 11,519
Joined: Aug 02, 2005
     

Re: Magic to appear on ESPN First Take on Monday 

Post#23 » by dockingsched » Mon May 20, 2019 3:33 pm

Read on Twitter
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
User avatar
TylersLakers
General Manager
Posts: 9,681
And1: 1,955
Joined: Jan 20, 2006
Location: Winnipeg Canada
     

Re: Magic to appear on ESPN First Take on Monday 

Post#24 » by TylersLakers » Mon May 20, 2019 3:40 pm

I watched it. It was pretty crazy.

This interview just confirms what I already knew:

1) Magic is not an executive. Anyone expecting him to be a grinder is totally wrong. However, if you're going to have a guy like that, you better have experience to go with him. A guy who says "Listen, Earv, I know you're a mogul. I know you're a Hall of Famer. But Paul George didn't come here, and we still have $30M in space. Here's what we need to do." He didn't. He had a "Yes Man" that wasn't even put in place by Johnson. One thing he said on First Take which continues to make me shake my head: "We couldn't have kept Randle. He wanted a two-year deal. We only wanted to give up one year." One: It wasn't a two year deal. It was a one year deal with a player option. And odds are: Julius Randle would outperform it, and then in a year when half the league would have had significant money available, he'd decline the second year. AND IF HE DIDN'T: You have a one year contract at the MLE, who's 24 years old. That's a trade asset! Any executive who had basketball experience would have known this and would've been able to break that down.

2) Jeanie Buss had a huge opportunity here. She's Barry Bonds and was given the slowest pitch of all time in a major league baseball game. She had an opportunity to blast that s**t out of the park. She had the opportunity to rid the franchise of the drama and empower anyone of her choosing around the league to align the organization. She didn't do it and it will cripple the franchise for years.
Image
twix2500
RealGM
Posts: 16,053
And1: 11,391
Joined: Dec 25, 2003
   

Re: Magic to appear on ESPN First Take on Monday 

Post#25 » by twix2500 » Mon May 20, 2019 3:41 pm

The Regime wrote:I didn't get a chance to watch it, but I'm following via twitter and reddit.

1. Magic Johnson just said on First Take that part of the reason he left is that Rob Pelinka was saying things behind his back in the office, implying that he was behind the "Magic isn't working hard enough" rumors (not a direct quote from Magic, just specifying with rumors).

2. When asked to specify about those rumors, if it was just Pelinka or others, he said "No, just Rob."

3. Magic Johnson said that Tim Harris was one of the people stopping him from firing Luke Walton, which he didn't like because he thought he had the power to make decisions.

4. Magic said that multiple agents called him when he got the job and that Pelinka was brought in with him to tell him that he needed to "watch out for" Rob.

5. Magic said that he never asked or tried to fire Pelinka. He just wanted to bring in his own coach. He said at that time he hadn't decided which coach he'd want, but he said that recently he wanted Tyronn Lue because he thought he'd be a great fit.

6. More Magic on Pelinka: "If you want to elevate yourself, I'm all for that... But there's a way to get that, and it's not talking about the person that's above you."

7. Magic said he was happy that Kurt Rambis is back, because he wanted more basketball people in the organization.

8. "I don't know how much he's involved, but he needs to be more involved, because he's an intelligent man in terms of basketball." Magic, on Kobe Bryant

9. More Magic on First take: "If you're going to talk 'betrayal,' that's only with Rob... I didn't like that Tim Harris was too involved in basketball. He's supposed to run the Laker business, but he was trying to come over to our side. Jeanie's gotta stop that."

10. Magic then said that he thought Lue was a "better" choice than Frank Vogel (who the Lakers are introducing today), but says he's going to support Vogel regardless.

11. This won't be the biggest thing Magic said, but he defended taking Lonzo No. 2 when discussing the moves he made as Lakers president of basketball operations: "I know you (Stephen A.) are still against it, but we can debate that, because I think he's an outstanding all-around point guard."

12. Magic Johnson on being reportedly CC'd in emails: "I don't know if emails were sent. I didn't see any emails. I only heard about the emails after Ric (Bucher) said that... I don't know about the emails but if it's true those are the things that bother me."

13. Magic Johnson on whether Jeanie Buss should sell the Lakers: "If she decides to sell, I’ll be knocking on her door."

14. Magic Johnson on Anthony Davis trade negotiations: "I told Dell Demps, 'Let's negotiate in private. What we offer, let's keep it between us.' Dell didn't do that. So, that's how it got out."

15. Magic Johnson on letting Julius Randle and Brook Lopez walk: "The only one we could re-sign was Brook Lopez. I made a mistake."

16. Magic Johnson on which max free agent he wants with the Lakers: "Kawhi and Kyrie are the two guys."


YIKES!


These are the two things that they should have followed up on. Magic goes on about being back stabbed or betrayed by Pelinka, but says he didnt know about the emails or seen the emails. Magic said he only learned about the emails through the media. But the media said he got those emails and was accidently CC. So what was he referring to as to backstabbing or betrayal if he knew nothing of the emails?
User avatar
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 52,084
And1: 11,519
Joined: Aug 02, 2005
     

Re: Magic to appear on ESPN First Take on Monday 

Post#26 » by dockingsched » Mon May 20, 2019 3:42 pm

As someone who is often annoyed by Magic and his comments in Twitter or to the media, I thought this interview was pretty enjoyable to watch. Magic was clear, direct, transparent, and reflective.

Really paints a picture that is both encouraging and concerning at the same time. Encouraging in that it appears all the issues are something Jeanie can address, however it’s concerning in that Jeanie has shown an inability to address these issues and since she’s the owner, you can’t just replace her .
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
Lakernut4ever
Junior
Posts: 329
And1: 84
Joined: May 19, 2015
 

Re: Magic to appear on ESPN First Take on Monday 

Post#27 » by Lakernut4ever » Mon May 20, 2019 3:45 pm

dockingsched wrote:As someone who is often annoyed by Magic and his comments in Twitter or to the media, I thought this interview was pretty enjoyable to watch. Magic was clear, direct, transparent, and reflective.

Really paints a picture that is both encouraging and concerning at the same time. Encouraging in that it appears all the issues are something Jeanie can address, however it’s concerning in that Jeanie has shown an inability to address these issues and since she’s the owner, you can’t just replace her .


This Laker drama is more interesting to watch than the final episode of the Game of Thrones lolz...And its still not yet finished...
twix2500
RealGM
Posts: 16,053
And1: 11,391
Joined: Dec 25, 2003
   

Re: Magic to appear on ESPN First Take on Monday 

Post#28 » by twix2500 » Mon May 20, 2019 3:49 pm

dockingsched wrote:As someone who is often annoyed by Magic and his comments in Twitter or to the media, I thought this interview was pretty enjoyable to watch. Magic was clear, direct, transparent, and reflective.

Really paints a picture that is both encouraging and concerning at the same time. Encouraging in that it appears all the issues are something Jeanie can address, however it’s concerning in that Jeanie has shown an inability to address these issues and since she’s the owner, you can’t just replace her .


One thing I will say about Magic description of the inner workings, communications and relationship within the Lakers management. Is that happens in about 99% of all organizations. If Magic expected it to be no power struggle and people trying to make moves and not your best friend, he was not ready for that position. He got to understand he was not in a ownership position but a management position and people are gonna want his job
User avatar
Mamba Mentality
RealGM
Posts: 17,329
And1: 7,250
Joined: Feb 04, 2011
 

Re: Magic to appear on ESPN First Take on Monday 

Post#29 » by Mamba Mentality » Mon May 20, 2019 3:54 pm

I'm having a tough time determining whether this helps or hurts that Lakers stock. On one hand Magic is exposing the discord in the Lakers front office, while on the other hand he's exposing himself as an idiot (not being available, took responsibility for trading Zubac and not resigning Lopez, ect).
User avatar
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 52,084
And1: 11,519
Joined: Aug 02, 2005
     

Re: Magic to appear on ESPN First Take on Monday 

Post#30 » by dockingsched » Mon May 20, 2019 3:55 pm

The Regime wrote:I'm having a tough time determining whether this helps or hurts that Lakers stock. On one hand Magic is exposing the incompetence of the Lakers front office particularly Pelinka, while on the other hand he's exposing himself as an idiot (not being available, took responsibility for trading Zubac and not resigning Lopez, ect).

I don’t think Magic had anything bad to say about Pelinka’s ability to do the job, he just has an issue with him talking behind his back and aiming for Magic’s job.

The only person Magic’s comments show as not being able to do their job is Jeanie.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
User avatar
myersia
Analyst
Posts: 3,410
And1: 762
Joined: Feb 08, 2011
     

Re: Magic to appear on ESPN First Take on Monday 

Post#31 » by myersia » Mon May 20, 2019 3:58 pm

Magic needed to keep his mouth shut. Not something you explain to media if you really love the lakers. I enjoy the insight but not a good business move. This makes rob look worse and Jeanie to an extent. I doubt anyone wants to come here now. This was a bad pr move. I’d be furious if I was Jeanie or Rob.


Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
User avatar
TylersLakers
General Manager
Posts: 9,681
And1: 1,955
Joined: Jan 20, 2006
Location: Winnipeg Canada
     

Re: Magic to appear on ESPN First Take on Monday 

Post#32 » by TylersLakers » Mon May 20, 2019 3:59 pm

The Regime wrote:I'm having a tough time determining whether this helps or hurts that Lakers stock. On one hand Magic is exposing the discord in the Lakers front office, while on the other hand he's exposing himself as an idiot (not being available, took responsibility for trading Zubac and not resigning Lopez, ect).


If you're talking about free agents, that's totally up to LeBron & Jeanie Buss. I would argue not to even have Pelinka in the room.
Image
User avatar
Mamba Mentality
RealGM
Posts: 17,329
And1: 7,250
Joined: Feb 04, 2011
 

Re: Magic to appear on ESPN First Take on Monday 

Post#33 » by Mamba Mentality » Mon May 20, 2019 4:00 pm

dockingsched wrote:
The Regime wrote:I'm having a tough time determining whether this helps or hurts that Lakers stock. On one hand Magic is exposing the incompetence of the Lakers front office particularly Pelinka, while on the other hand he's exposing himself as an idiot (not being available, took responsibility for trading Zubac and not resigning Lopez, ect).

I don’t think Magic had anything bad to say about Pelinka’s ability to do the job, he just has an issue with him talking behind his back and aiming for Magic’s job.

The only person Magic’s comments show as not being able to do their job is Jeanie.


yeh i edited my post, poor choice of words

idk about you guys but I don't necessarily see how this move by Magic as a bad thing (although the general public/media outlets will certainly perceive it that way)...free agents should see his subtraction from the equation as a positive development
User avatar
myersia
Analyst
Posts: 3,410
And1: 762
Joined: Feb 08, 2011
     

Re: Magic to appear on ESPN First Take on Monday 

Post#34 » by myersia » Mon May 20, 2019 4:01 pm

Magic is clearly the one that leaked everything about the situation


Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
User avatar
myersia
Analyst
Posts: 3,410
And1: 762
Joined: Feb 08, 2011
     

Magic to appear on ESPN First Take on Monday 

Post#35 » by myersia » Mon May 20, 2019 4:03 pm

Oh by the way we have a coach intro today that magic also said wasn’t the right choice. Thanks magic great timing


Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
mab2039
Sophomore
Posts: 200
And1: 75
Joined: Jul 23, 2014
         

Re: Magic to appear on ESPN First Take on Monday 

Post#36 » by mab2039 » Mon May 20, 2019 4:03 pm

TylersLakers wrote:
The Regime wrote:I'm having a tough time determining whether this helps or hurts that Lakers stock. On one hand Magic is exposing the discord in the Lakers front office, while on the other hand he's exposing himself as an idiot (not being available, took responsibility for trading Zubac and not resigning Lopez, ect).


If you're talking about free agents, that's totally up to LeBron & Jeanie Buss. I would argue not to even have Pelinka in the room.




why employ Pelinka at all.
gts1
Starter
Posts: 2,475
And1: 1,230
Joined: May 20, 2014
Location: Los Angeles
 

Re: Magic to appear on ESPN First Take on Monday 

Post#37 » by gts1 » Mon May 20, 2019 4:06 pm

So this was all about Magic basically covering his ass and passive aggressively undermining the Lakers FO this summer... got it
Wife: "you haven't heard a single thing I said"
Me: that's a funny way to start a conversation...
twix2500
RealGM
Posts: 16,053
And1: 11,391
Joined: Dec 25, 2003
   

Re: Magic to appear on ESPN First Take on Monday 

Post#38 » by twix2500 » Mon May 20, 2019 4:12 pm

Relistening to the interview. It appears much of the hiring process was decided by Jeanie even people who were under Magic like Pelinka. She is listening to too many people like Kobe, Phil, Harris and the Rambis to hire people to work under Magic. Magic couldnt pick his own team like the coach or GM. It appears Magic was more of a face figure or an adviser and not a guy with an official position.
Michael Lucky
RealGM
Posts: 11,361
And1: 4,751
Joined: Jan 02, 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA
       

Re: Magic to appear on ESPN First Take on Monday 

Post#39 » by Michael Lucky » Mon May 20, 2019 4:18 pm

Wow maybe Jeanie is better than i thought. I never wanted Magic to make the decisions to be begon with. :lol:
User avatar
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 52,084
And1: 11,519
Joined: Aug 02, 2005
     

Re: Magic to appear on ESPN First Take on Monday 

Post#40 » by dockingsched » Mon May 20, 2019 4:18 pm

myersia wrote:Oh by the way we have a coach intro today that magic also said wasn’t the right choice. Thanks magic great timing


Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

He said he liked Lue better, which obviously was the sentiment on the front office after he left since the Lakers offered him a contract before anyone else. He also said Vogel is a good coach and he’s support him.

What did Magic say about that situation that wasn’t known? Everyone knows Vogel was the team’s second choice behind Lue.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore

Return to Los Angeles Lakers