ImageImageImageImageImage

Magic to appear on ESPN First Take on Monday

Moderators: Danny Darko, TyCobb, Kilroy

Given no other choice, which would you prefer?

Magic still be in charge with Rob gone
11
25%
Rob be in charge with Magic gone
33
75%
 
Total votes: 44

User avatar
myersia
Analyst
Posts: 3,391
And1: 758
Joined: Feb 08, 2011
     

Re: Magic to appear on ESPN First Take on Monday 

Post#41 » by myersia » Mon May 20, 2019 4:21 pm

Michael Lucky wrote:Wow maybe Jeanie is better than i thought. I never wanted Magic to make the decisions to be begon with. :lol:


I gotta say Michael you were right about magic. I don’t want him near our franchise ever again. He clearly leaked everything. He’s still leaking stuff. Worst pr move you can do for the lakers


Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
User avatar
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 51,960
And1: 11,283
Joined: Aug 02, 2005
     

Re: Magic to appear on ESPN First Take on Monday 

Post#42 » by dockingsched » Mon May 20, 2019 4:22 pm

One thing worth keeping an eye on that came out of this is that Jesse and Joey Buss want more power and aren’t happy/satisfied with the limits of their current roles.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 57,899
And1: 29,123
Joined: Oct 15, 2006
Location: København
     

Re: Magic to appear on ESPN First Take on Monday 

Post#43 » by Slava » Mon May 20, 2019 4:26 pm

Read on Twitter


Yep. National embarrassment szn has begun.
:king:
Michael Lucky
RealGM
Posts: 11,356
And1: 4,749
Joined: Jan 02, 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA
       

Re: Magic to appear on ESPN First Take on Monday 

Post#44 » by Michael Lucky » Mon May 20, 2019 4:27 pm

I wouldnt mind seeing Jesse being rewarded with a higher role. At least hes been really good at his job unlike most of his siblings
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 57,899
And1: 29,123
Joined: Oct 15, 2006
Location: København
     

Re: Magic to appear on ESPN First Take on Monday 

Post#45 » by Slava » Mon May 20, 2019 4:27 pm

dockingsched wrote:One thing worth keeping an eye on that came out of this is that Jesse and Joey Buss want more power and aren’t happy/satisfied with the limits of their current roles.


When there's a power vaccum there will be no shortage of people trying to fill it.
:king:
LAKESHOW
RealGM
Posts: 11,130
And1: 1,346
Joined: Mar 14, 2002
Location: HOME OF THE 16 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!

Re: Magic to appear on ESPN First Take on Monday 

Post#46 » by LAKESHOW » Mon May 20, 2019 4:32 pm

Magic was right and wrong. Dude, even if you dont do paperwork, you gotta stick around and live at the offices. You and Everybody knew the situation was in disarray! Magic you stated so yourself! Therefore you gotta at least give be around, hang around, stick around, sleep in the offices, ALL THAT, so that LAKER nation knows someone is at the front leading the ship on course. A constant presence. Boston reporters came to the garden and asked where is this so called ever present committed larry bird at? We dont see him? They pointed up to the upper deck, he was taking laps and is always the last one to leave. Magic, you shoildve been present. Even if your not doing anything, but making coffee. Your presence is leadership during these dark times at Lakers headquarters.
Pelinka, who do you think you are? The recruiting face of a franchise? Magic is the salesman, not your dumbass. Recruiting is the major part of this franchise! We did not draft wilt. We did not draft kareem. We need to recruit the talent alongside our core. Dont stab the #1 recruiting tool we have on our team, even though dude cant host a talkshow. But its gotta be a tandem.
Home of the 16 Time World Champions
User avatar
iamworthy
RealGM
Posts: 17,135
And1: 3,869
Joined: Jul 20, 2007
Location: Ring City!!!
   

Re: Magic to appear on ESPN First Take on Monday 

Post#47 » by iamworthy » Mon May 20, 2019 4:32 pm

Man, is he still hurt by the trade?
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 57,899
And1: 29,123
Joined: Oct 15, 2006
Location: København
     

Re: Magic to appear on ESPN First Take on Monday 

Post#48 » by Slava » Mon May 20, 2019 4:34 pm

Michael Lucky wrote:I wouldnt mind seeing Jesse being rewarded with a higher role. At least hes been really good at his job unlike most of his siblings


Joey with help from Nick Mazella has run the gleague team very well too. They are the ones pulling undrafted guys like Caruso, Jonathan Williams etc out of nowhere.
:king:
No name
Junior
Posts: 331
And1: 117
Joined: Mar 13, 2017

Re: Magic to appear on ESPN First Take on Monday 

Post#49 » by No name » Mon May 20, 2019 4:36 pm

Damnit Magic. This dude.
If he's truly wanting the Lakers to succeed and if he's truly a fan then all of this says that he is an emotional, irrational idiot. If he's not an irrational, emotional idiot then he's a liar and is purposely smearing the the Lakers at the worst times.
Nothing about this makes him look good even though he's burying everyone in order to do so. Nothing about this makes the Lakers look good.
Dumb dumb dumb stupid.
Michael Lucky
RealGM
Posts: 11,356
And1: 4,749
Joined: Jan 02, 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA
       

Re: Magic to appear on ESPN First Take on Monday 

Post#50 » by Michael Lucky » Mon May 20, 2019 4:37 pm

Well Magic should be happy. He can go back to openly talk trash about the franchise. I give it until the trade deadline before he tweets about how terrible Vogel is.
Michael Lucky
RealGM
Posts: 11,356
And1: 4,749
Joined: Jan 02, 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA
       

Re: Magic to appear on ESPN First Take on Monday 

Post#51 » by Michael Lucky » Mon May 20, 2019 4:39 pm

No name wrote:Damnit Magic. This dude.
If he's truly wanting the Lakers to succeed and if he's truly a fan then all of this says that he is an emotional, irrational idiot. If he's not an irrational, emotional idiot then he's a liar and is purposely smearing the the Lakers at the worst times.
Nothing about this makes him look good even though he's burying everyone in order to do so. Nothing about this makes the Lakers look good.
Dumb dumb dumb stupid.

Magic cares only about Magic. It's very simple.
RamonSessions7
General Manager
Posts: 9,623
And1: 2,057
Joined: Feb 21, 2009
   

Re: Magic to appear on ESPN First Take on Monday 

Post#52 » by RamonSessions7 » Mon May 20, 2019 4:43 pm

Most I got out of this interview was that I’m glad magic isn’t in our FO any longer
Image
Michael Lucky
RealGM
Posts: 11,356
And1: 4,749
Joined: Jan 02, 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA
       

Re: Magic to appear on ESPN First Take on Monday 

Post#53 » by Michael Lucky » Mon May 20, 2019 4:47 pm

All i took from this is that Magic wasnt putting the work, expected more power, and when Rob complained about him to Jeanie he just ran up and left so he could freely go back to doing what he wants. Which includes openly talking **** about the Lakers. Nice....
User avatar
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 13,216
And1: 12,601
Joined: Jul 13, 2014

Re: Magic to appear on ESPN First Take on Monday 

Post#54 » by zimpy27 » Mon May 20, 2019 4:53 pm

Read on Twitter


Tweets this a month ago.. waiting.. waiting.. taking too long better go on first take and force it out myself!
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
User avatar
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 51,960
And1: 11,283
Joined: Aug 02, 2005
     

Re: Magic to appear on ESPN First Take on Monday 

Post#55 » by dockingsched » Mon May 20, 2019 4:56 pm

Michael Lucky wrote:All i took from this is that Magic wasnt putting the work, expected more power, and when Rob complained about him to Jeanie he just ran up and left so he could freely go back to doing what he wants. Which includes openly talking **** about the Lakers. Nice....

If that’s all you took you’re missing a lot.

We all know Magic is selfish, cares only about himself, probably isn’t doing the Lakers any favors with this, and wasn’t putting on the work, all that is irrelevant now that he’s gone.

What matters is what he revealed about the team going forward. He confirmed all the reporting and suspicions that Jeanie basically isn’t a good owner. Allows too many people to affect her judgement, including those with no basketball background. Gets too emotionally attached to make clear minded decisions. Has difficulty making final decisions.

All that should be really concerning.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
Michael Lucky
RealGM
Posts: 11,356
And1: 4,749
Joined: Jan 02, 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA
       

Re: Magic to appear on ESPN First Take on Monday 

Post#56 » by Michael Lucky » Mon May 20, 2019 4:56 pm

dockingsched wrote:One thing worth keeping an eye on that came out of this is that Jesse and Joey Buss want more power and aren’t happy/satisfied with the limits of their current roles.

Jeanie better keep them happy. They go over to her older brothers and it's over for her.
User avatar
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 13,216
And1: 12,601
Joined: Jul 13, 2014

Re: Magic to appear on ESPN First Take on Monday 

Post#57 » by zimpy27 » Mon May 20, 2019 5:00 pm

The Regime wrote:
dockingsched wrote:
The Regime wrote:I'm having a tough time determining whether this helps or hurts that Lakers stock. On one hand Magic is exposing the incompetence of the Lakers front office particularly Pelinka, while on the other hand he's exposing himself as an idiot (not being available, took responsibility for trading Zubac and not resigning Lopez, ect).

I don’t think Magic had anything bad to say about Pelinka’s ability to do the job, he just has an issue with him talking behind his back and aiming for Magic’s job.

The only person Magic’s comments show as not being able to do their job is Jeanie.


yeh i edited my post, poor choice of words

idk about you guys but I don't necessarily see how this move by Magic as a bad thing (although the general public/media outlets will certainly in perceive it that way)...free agents should see his subtraction from the equation as a positive development


A basketball icon and hero to many current players was backstabbed by the guy who now has all the power as the GM?

Evil Rob Lowe is definitely a negative.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
Michael Lucky
RealGM
Posts: 11,356
And1: 4,749
Joined: Jan 02, 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA
       

Re: Magic to appear on ESPN First Take on Monday 

Post#58 » by Michael Lucky » Mon May 20, 2019 5:01 pm

dockingsched wrote:
Michael Lucky wrote:All i took from this is that Magic wasnt putting the work, expected more power, and when Rob complained about him to Jeanie he just ran up and left so he could freely go back to doing what he wants. Which includes openly talking **** about the Lakers. Nice....

If that’s all you took you’re missing a lot.

We all know Magic is selfish, cares only about himself, probably isn’t doing the Lakers any favors with this, and wasn’t putting on the work, all that is irrelevant now that he’s gone.

What matters is what he revealed about the team going forward. He confirmed all the reporting and suspicions that Jeanie basically isn’t a good owner. Allows too many people to affect her judgement, including those with no basketball background. Gets too emotionally attached to make clear minded decisions. Has difficulty making final decisions.

All that should be really concerning.


I agree that it is out there and it is very concerning. Im not disagreeing with you. It's the fact Magic is openly undermining the franchise that is incredibly upsetting. He's so egotistical that he is willing to do his best to make as much damage as possible to a franchise he is supposedly a lifer for. He cant help himself but try to look lkke the good guy when he's anything but.
gts1
Starter
Posts: 2,474
And1: 1,230
Joined: May 20, 2014
Location: Los Angeles
 

Re: Magic to appear on ESPN First Take on Monday 

Post#59 » by gts1 » Mon May 20, 2019 5:02 pm

You know when you think about this whole thing it's a total setup.. You don't put this type of interview together at the drop of a hat. You don't bring in this type of talent on air and reschedule radio station air time this easily.. This was planned and executed and waiting to go to air the same day the Lakers announced the new head coach. This is not a coincidence, it's Magic using his buddies in the media who are more than willing to air this hatchet job
Wife: "you haven't heard a single thing I said"
Me: that's a funny way to start a conversation...
User avatar
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 51,960
And1: 11,283
Joined: Aug 02, 2005
     

Re: Magic to appear on ESPN First Take on Monday 

Post#60 » by dockingsched » Mon May 20, 2019 5:04 pm

Michael Lucky wrote:
dockingsched wrote:
Michael Lucky wrote:All i took from this is that Magic wasnt putting the work, expected more power, and when Rob complained about him to Jeanie he just ran up and left so he could freely go back to doing what he wants. Which includes openly talking **** about the Lakers. Nice....

If that’s all you took you’re missing a lot.

We all know Magic is selfish, cares only about himself, probably isn’t doing the Lakers any favors with this, and wasn’t putting on the work, all that is irrelevant now that he’s gone.

What matters is what he revealed about the team going forward. He confirmed all the reporting and suspicions that Jeanie basically isn’t a good owner. Allows too many people to affect her judgement, including those with no basketball background. Gets too emotionally attached to make clear minded decisions. Has difficulty making final decisions.

All that should be really concerning.


I agree that it is out there and it is very concerning. Im not disagreeing with you. It's the fact Magic is openly undermining the franchise that is incredibly upsetting. He's so egotistical that he is willing to do his best to make as much damage as possible to a franchise he is supposedly a lifer for. He cant help himself but try to look lkke the good guy when he's anything but.


He’s been doing it since the Mike D’Antoni and Jim Buss days, only back then people lauded him for it, so I’m not surprised and kind of have a “what the hell did you expect” mindset to those that are acting shocked or surprised by Magic’s selfishness.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore

Return to Los Angeles Lakers