And1: 788

Re: All things number 4. Trade or draft? Let the rumors begin  

Post#341 » by myersia » Mon May 27, 2019 2:42 am

zimpy27 wrote:
myersia wrote:
Spoiler:
taj2133 wrote:
Read on Twitter

https://heavy.com/sports/2019/05/lakers-lebron-james-darius-garland-nba-draft-news/
Heavy
LeBron James & Lakers Coach Seen With NBA Draft Target Darius Garland

LeBron James & Lakers Coach Seen With NBA Draft Target Darius Garland

By Jeff Smith
Updated May 25, 2019 at 10:04pm
LeBron James Lakers Darius Garland NBA draft
Getty
Los Angeles Lakers forward LeBron James

Let the 2019 NBA Draft speculation run wild. The latest piece of news which came out will only add even more fuel to the chatter around the Los Angeles Lakers and Vanderbilt guard Darius Garland. While the Lakers hold the No. 4 pick in the draft, they could go a number of ways with the selection, one of which is to select Garland.

After the NBA world took notice of the fact that the former Vanderbilt guard was signed with Klutch Sports, it immediately created a connection to LeBron James. But the Lakers-Garland connection picked up steam when he was spotted with LeBron and Lakers assistant coach Miles Simon at a basketball game for James’ son, Bronny.

The photo was posted on social media, and revealed by Ball is Life.

Deandre Hayton
@YCSNOW23
Darius Garland was with Lebron today, watching Bronny‘s game.

8:23 PM - May 25, 2019

For what it’s worth, Garland is fully expected to be in the mix for the Lakers at No. 4, assuming they don’t opt to trade the pick. But considering all the chatter swirling about a potential trade for either Anthony Davis or Bradley Beal, that looks like somewhat of a longshot at times.

LeBron James’ Comment on Darius Garland Instagram Grabs
This isn’t the first time the connection between LeBron and Garland has grabbed the attention of Lakers fans. Just under a week ago, Garland posted on Instagram about the upcoming NBA draft and James showed him some love by sending a message to the young guard.

Lakers NBA Draft Darius Garland

Although we can’t read into the Instagram comment all that much, the fact that James and Garland were spotted together at Bronny’s game with Simon is still noteworthy. Even going one step further, Heavy.com’s Jon Adams pointed out that Garland was at the Muhammad Ali documentary which LeBron and Maverick Carter produced.

As the above photo shows, Garland just so happened to be at last week’s HBO premiere of the Muhammad Ali documentary “What’s My Name?”, produced by James along with Maverick Carter.

This obviously doesn’t lock the former Vanderbilt guard in as the Lakers pick, but the fact he’s already built a friendship with LeBron could certainly play a role in the outcome.

Darius Garland’s Stats & Career With Vanderbilt
Lakers fans only have a small sample size of Garland’s play to go off when evaluating him as a draft prospect. He missed nearly the entire 2018-19 college basketball season due to a meniscus injury in his left knee. After playing in five games, Garland underwent surgery which ended his year.

In the five games the 19-year-old suited up for, he posted averages of 16.2 points, 2.6 assists and 3.8 rebounds. It’s worth noting that those marks were impacted by the fact that he only played two minutes in the game against Kent State when the season-ending injury occurred.

One performance from Garland certainly stood out, and it came during a 79-70 win over Liberty during Vanderbilt’s fourth game of the year. Garland racked up 33 points on 12-of-18 shooting while knocking down 5-of-8 from beyond the arc. He also added four rebounds and four assists for good measure.

I wonder if we really do draft garland because pelicans want Lonzo included now for AD? Meaning he becomes our starting pg

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

The pick and Lonzo would go to the pelicans. Lonzo plays the same speed as Zion and would be ideal in Gentry's system. The Pels will want Hunter because he's the 3 and D wing they need.

Lonzo, Jrue, Hunter, Zion, Randle

Imagine Lonzo playing full court with Zion and Randle. Ingram probably starts when they move Jrue which I'll expect they do, I think Ingram works better as an SG or a small wing until he bulks.

Lonzo, Ingram, Hunter, Zion, Randle
Bench: whatever Jrue gets them

That's a long, athletic lineup. Scary defensive potential, Randle the only weak point and he's improving.

No that’s what I’m saying. Lakers could say eff that and keep 4 if pelicans don’t really care about the pick and just want Zo Ingram kuzma and hart. I’d try and hold the 4th pick if they want Zo

Landsberger
General Manager
And1: 1,969

Post#342 » by Landsberger » Mon May 27, 2019 2:55 am

I expect Phoenix to make a play for Zo. The local stations are still talking about it for some reason.
Spanish_Laker
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,010

Post#343 » by Spanish_Laker » Mon May 27, 2019 1:55 pm

The 4th pick is gone, and you know it, so I don't know why you keep speculating who are we drafting or not lol
Banned after 15 years in this forum for no reason. Farewell RealGM users
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,982

Post#344 » by zimpy27 » Mon May 27, 2019 2:14 pm

Landsberger wrote:I expect Phoenix to make a play for Zo. The local stations are still talking about it for some reason.

Because they need a pass first point guard that plays defense 1-3 to cover for booker. He's perfect for their team. They really need to get another wing from the draft, preferably a SF/PF. No point in getting a rookie PG with the team they have. I can't see bulls wanting a rookie PG either.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
hazy_01
Rookie
And1: 362

Post#345 » by hazy_01 » Mon May 27, 2019 6:19 pm

I would trade down for Hawks' 8th and 10th picks but not sure if they would? Then draft whichever prospect drops to 8th (Garland, Culver, Reddish, etc.) and a big for the 10th pick (ex: Hayes, Bol). Sign Kawhi and this is our roster:

Hayes/Wagner
Lebron/Kuz
Kawhi/Bullock
Ingram/Hart
Ball/Garland
taj2133
General Manager
And1: 2,972

Post#346 » by taj2133 » Mon May 27, 2019 6:24 pm

It looks like you guys are going to draft garland with coby white going to the suns possibly?
Read on Twitter

Vanderbilt’s Darius Garland was rumored to get promised he’ll get drafted by a certain team.

He might not be the only point guard with a high-lottery promise.

North Carolina’s Coby White has also generated plenty of speculation.

K.C. Johnson of the Chicago Tribune:

After meeting the media and interviewing with select teams, White left the combine with widespread speculation that he, too, has received a draft promise. Two league executives who spoke with the Tribune believe White’s promise is from a team that picks before the Bulls.

The Bulls have the No. 7 pick, so reviewing the six teams picking higher:

1. Pelicans

Zion Williamson is the obvious pick.

2. Grizzlies

They’re reportedly set on Ja Morant.

3. Knicks

This seems too high, with R.J. Barrett the consensus No. 3 prospect. I’d be open to picking White ahead of Barrett, but I definitely wouldn’t promise to do so this early in the process.

4. Lakers

The draft opens way up at this point. Count White among the viable prospects. But with Lonzo Ball already in Los Angeles, would the Lakers really lock into White this early?

5. Cavaliers

The Cavs already have Collin Sexton, who shouldn’t preclude them from drafting another point guard. But he probably does. He should at least make Cleveland less likely to promise White.

6. Suns

The Suns reportedly didn’t promise Garland. That makes them a prime suspect for the White promise. Phoenix badly needs a point guard.

One more theory: The Bulls promised White, and – especially with this report coming from Chicago – this is a smokescreen. They definitely could use another point guard.
https://nba.nbcsports.com/2019/05/27/rumor-coby-white-has-top-six-promise-in-draft/
taj2133
General Manager

Post#347 » by taj2133 » Mon May 27, 2019 9:26 pm

Read on Twitter

http://amicohoops.net/cavaliers-have-draft-eyes-for-texas-tech-standout-culver/
If the Cavaliers had landed the No. 2 overall draft pick, they may have settled on Texas Tech shooting guard Jarrett Culver — even over the likes of Ja Morant and R.J. Barrett.

That is how much the Cavs are said to like Culver. It’s hard to know if any of this is true or just a gigantic smokescreen (Culver is about the third draft prospect the Cavs are said to really, really want.)

But for the sake of argument, let’s say Culver is indeed the Cavaliers’ man. Let’s say the New Orleans Pelicans take Zion Williamson at No. 1, the Memphis Grizzlies go with Moran at No. 2, and the Knicks take Barrett after that.

In that scenario, all that stands between the Cavs and Culver is … drumroll, please … LeBron James’ Los Angeles Lakers.

“At No. 5, though, there’s a pretty good chance the Cavs can get their man, if the Lakers pass on him at No. 4 — though that is no guarantee,” Sean Deveney of Sporting News wrote. “Culver had good numbers at the Chicago pre-draft combine, measuring 6-6.75 with a 6-9.5 wingspan.”

The Cavs interviewed Culver last week, and according to sources, walked away feeling as if he would be a great fit in the culture they are trying to build and in new coach John Beilein’s system.

But again, what happens after the top three picks is when the draft mysteries are really expected to begin. Along with Culver, Virginia small forward De’Andre Hunter, Duke wing Cam Reddish, Vanderbilt point guard Darius Garland and rising North Carolina combo guard Coby White are all expected to fall in the Nos. 5-10 range.
JohnVancouver
General Manager
And1: 236

Post#348 » by JohnVancouver » Mon May 27, 2019 10:29 pm

zimpy27 wrote:
stan francisco wrote:Is there a bulldog PF defender with range in this draft? Like a Millsap/Randle/Z-Bo, but with a three...?

Yes, Brandon Clarke, the guy the Lakers should be targetting.

Comparisons are Millsap and Siakam.

If you fancy yourself a contender you'll need a tall who can defend the perimeter for guys like Durant and Giannis.

Clarke is a poor shooter, though he says he's working hard on it. JRandle is, in fact, now a credible 3-pt shooter
"Deng and Mozgov was some 1980s Clippers sh*t. So, so dumb" - Sedale Threatt

"If you can't get banned for threatening to rape a mod, what can you get banned for?" Jigga_Man/2013

"Everybody love Everybody." - Jackie Moon
tviper
Sixth Man
And1: 260

Post#349 » by tviper » Tue May 28, 2019 12:56 am

I believe this scenario is possible, but let me know if there is anything that would prevent the following:

Rob gets NO and PHO to agree to a trade in principle before the draft with AD coming to the Lakers for Ingram, Lonzo, and #4, with Lonzo routed to PHO for #6 and Josh Jackson. Lakers draft #4 for NO and sign to a contract, then wait 30 days so the money works under the trade rules. In the meantime, trade in principle is announced, so FA know AD is coming to the Lakers to join Lebron. But the actual trade isn't processed yet, so FA can sign max deal.
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Post#350 » by King Ken » Tue May 28, 2019 1:00 am

The AD trade makes the most sense and they take Hunter with the pick.
taj2133
General Manager

Post#351 » by taj2133 » Tue May 28, 2019 6:48 pm

Read on Twitter
taj2133
General Manager

Post#352 » by taj2133 » Tue May 28, 2019 7:26 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 5,399

Post#353 » by Danny Darko » Tue May 28, 2019 10:14 pm

Read on Twitter
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,191

Post#354 » by LAKESHOW » Tue May 28, 2019 10:26 pm

Ive said it before, i like hunter. But in no way will complain about garland. We won when we jumped up and now have choices. Trade or otherwise.
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
myersia
Analyst
And1: 788

Post#355 » by myersia » Wed May 29, 2019 12:56 am

Danny Darko wrote:
Read on Twitter

You draft him if you are going to trade Lonzo

Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 5,399

Post#356 » by Danny Darko » Wed May 29, 2019 6:45 am

myersia wrote:
Danny Darko wrote:
Read on Twitter

You draft him if you are going to trade Lonzo

no way... a shooting dominant guard works WITH Lonzo. He may very well have to be the pg if we do find AD relies on Lonzo, but make no mistake he is a fit with him in the back court if they get the chance.
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#357 » by Spens1 » Wed May 29, 2019 9:05 am

Garland as a short S.G (he'll guard the 1's and Lonzo the 2's) makes sense. Though i'd be ok with trading Lonzo as well.

Any word on if RJ could slip to us (either Garland or Culver goes 3, please knicks, i beg of you).
magicbesteva
Junior
And1: 53

Post#358 » by magicbesteva » Wed May 29, 2019 2:11 pm

I think the Knicks pass on Barrett. The Garland hype hasn’t even started yet. He’s going to really impress during his workouts.
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,191

Post#359 » by LAKESHOW » Wed May 29, 2019 7:12 pm

If barrett falls to 4. You take him!
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
jay51024
Pro Prospect
And1: 643

Post#360 » by jay51024 » Wed May 29, 2019 7:25 pm