ImageImageImageImageImage

2019 Free Agency Thread

Moderators: TyCobb, Kilroy, Danny Darko

Pythagoras
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,791
And1: 1,250
Joined: Aug 15, 2012
Location: KC, Mo
     

Re: Lebron recruiting/in contact with Kyrie, Kawhi, Jimmy Butler 

Post#61 » by Pythagoras » Sat May 25, 2019 11:53 pm

nzahir wrote:
Pythagoras wrote:
nzahir wrote:Fit would suck without a few more deals, not enough spacing, too many guys who need the ball

If we get Jimmy, I am in high favor getting AD for 3 of our 4 main pieces, future pick and possibly Hart/Wagner depending on the deal. Lonzo (can get 6 or 7th pick), BI, 4th pick, future 1st for AD

Collison/Hill with room exception, Hart, Butler, Lebron, AD
Bench of Caruso, Kuzma, Wagner and vet mins.

Maybe we are able to get Hutchison or Frank Jackson from Bulls or from Pels. Depth worries me a bit, but its 6 forsure playable guys in any series. I think Wagner improves and can be a 7th guy. Hopefully can get good vets. JR smith, Wayne Ellington, Tyson (who looked cooked), and Lance are all guys I would look at for min. I would even look at Melo if we moved Kuzma for a better defensive 2/3 on rookie deal


I don’t think the fit would be nearly as bad as people think. Jimmy isn’t a guy who over dribbles, shoots a lot, or chomps up high usage rates. Jimmy was also able to make it work with Simmons/Embiid this year, and Wiggins/Towns last year. I think we’d be fine.

Problem isn't just Jimmy, but the others with him. You can only have so many guys on the floor who can't shoot it. PHI ran into that problem, super talented team but some poor fits


Your concerns are valid, but don’t underestimate how much the Raptors defense affected Phi. All five of the Raptors starters are plus defenders, two of them are all world defenders, and they have another guy coming off the bench who is a plus defender. The Raptors front court is a bear defensively.
Numbers rule the universe.
User avatar
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 12,680
And1: 11,821
Joined: Jul 13, 2014

Re: Lebron recruiting/in contact with Kyrie, Kawhi, Jimmy Butler 

Post#62 » by zimpy27 » Sun May 26, 2019 12:40 am

Ball so hard wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:
Pythagoras wrote:
I don’t think the fit would be nearly as bad as people think. Jimmy isn’t a guy who over dribbles, shoots a lot, or chomps up high usage rates. Jimmy was also able to make it work with Simmons/Embiid this year, and Wiggins/Towns last year. I think we’d be fine.


Jimmy would fit well with LeBron. Ultimately LeBron just needs a second guy who can create his own shot but doesn't dominate the ball. that's the role Irving played with the Cavs. Butler can defend 1 to 4. I honestly think Butler is a better fit next to LeBron because he can play SG/SF/PF and LeBron can play SF/PF/C.
You need to surround them with a defensive PF/C, a stretch 5, a 3 and D SG, and a 3 and D PG.


That's asking for a lot... that's like rebuilding the entire roster. None of our current player match those profiles.


Well it doesn't need to be perfect. Of the guys the Lakers have you want to keep Kuzma and Hart. Kuzma is the ideal bench scoring wing and Hart is borderline 3 and D SG that would serve as a great back up to that position based on matchup.

The defensive PF/C is Brandon Clarke. Trade down pick 4 to pick 8 and get an asset from Hawks.
Trade Ingram for Josh Richardson. Perfect 3+D SG, can catch and shoot or take a 3 off the dribble.

The stretch 5 likely comes of the bench and can be the asset the Hawks give (Alex Len) or a Room MLE ($4.7m).

The 3 and D PG can just be Lonzo, focus on the D for now and hope he develops a better shot. Main problem is his FT%, horrifying. Trade him midseason if know improvement, maybe for Beverley. He probably gets a 10m contract.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
stan francisco
Analyst
Posts: 3,307
And1: 866
Joined: Oct 20, 2015
 

Re: Lebron recruiting/in contact with Kyrie, Kawhi, Jimmy Butler 

Post#63 » by stan francisco » Sun May 26, 2019 1:14 pm

Can a team with Butler as second best player win it all? Depends on how much Butler wants to get paid. If we pay him max, it’ll be hard to complete the roster.

The idea of considering Butler is growing on me. Plays defense, not a ball hog, competes fiercely, doesn’t back down to anyone.

But he’s getting old (30) and wants to cash in, strike gold on a long term max deal, no?

Your second best player can’t be paid as if he were the franchise player. In fact, no player other than the main dude can be overpaid if you want to win in today’s league.

I’d offer Butler four years, $26-29M per. Or $32Mx3.
I’d offer Klay five years, $28-32M per.

First I’d offer Kawhi and Durant five years at the max.

Is Butler the kind of guy who takes one for the team or is he all about Butler getting his? Butler is never gonna be the best player on a ring-winning team and so he shouldn’t get paid as if he were.

I wonder where he sees himself. If he’s willing to take a cut, backing up what he said about LA in the news...

Do it, Rob Lowe!
2019-20
PG: James16, Caruso20, Bradley4, Rondo4, Norvell4
SG: Green24, Pope10, Bradley8, Daniels4, Cook2
SF: Kuzma22, James16, THT6, Caroline4
PF: Davis32, Kuzma10, Cacok4, Dudley2
C: McGee22, Howard22, Davis2, Antetokounmpo2
User avatar
Kobe System
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,189
And1: 434
Joined: Mar 31, 2010
 

Re: Lebron recruiting/in contact with Kyrie, Kawhi, Jimmy Butler 

Post#64 » by Kobe System » Sun May 26, 2019 2:05 pm

stan francisco wrote:Can a team with Butler as second best player win it all? Depends on how much Butler wants to get paid. If we pay him max, it’ll be hard to complete the roster.

The idea of considering Butler is growing on me. Plays defense, not a ball hog, competes fiercely, doesn’t back down to anyone.

But he’s getting old (30) and wants to cash in, strike gold on a long term max deal, no?

Your second best player can’t be paid as if he were the franchise player. In fact, no player other than the main dude can be overpaid if you want to win in today’s league.

I’d offer Butler four years, $26-29M per. Or $32Mx3.
I’d offer Klay five years, $28-32M per.

First I’d offer Kawhi and Durant five years at the max.

Is Butler the kind of guy who takes one for the team or is he all about Butler getting his? Butler is never gonna be the best player on a ring-winning team and so he shouldn’t get paid as if he were.

I wonder where he sees himself. If he’s willing to take a cut, backing up what he said about LA in the news...

Do it, Rob Lowe!


We can't sigh Klay, Kawhi and Kyrie for 5 years. Max will be 4.

Butler won't sign anything less than max.
stan francisco
Analyst
Posts: 3,307
And1: 866
Joined: Oct 20, 2015
 

Re: Lebron recruiting/in contact with Kyrie, Kawhi, Jimmy Butler 

Post#65 » by stan francisco » Mon May 27, 2019 6:13 am

Then let’s not go after Butler.
2019-20
PG: James16, Caruso20, Bradley4, Rondo4, Norvell4
SG: Green24, Pope10, Bradley8, Daniels4, Cook2
SF: Kuzma22, James16, THT6, Caroline4
PF: Davis32, Kuzma10, Cacok4, Dudley2
C: McGee22, Howard22, Davis2, Antetokounmpo2
SlimShady83
Head Coach
Posts: 6,429
And1: 750
Joined: Jun 19, 2012

Re: Lebron recruiting/in contact with Kyrie, Kawhi, Jimmy Butler 

Post#66 » by SlimShady83 » Mon May 27, 2019 6:30 am

stan francisco wrote:Then let’s not go after Butler.


If Butler won't sign anything less then Max, we should KEEP INGRAM AND DEVELOP HIM INTO A STAR


Butler not worth the max
Bring back 80's 90's basketball please :)
User avatar
myersia
Analyst
Posts: 3,375
And1: 744
Joined: Feb 08, 2011
     

Re: Lebron recruiting/in contact with Kyrie, Kawhi, Jimmy Butler 

Post#67 » by myersia » Mon May 27, 2019 1:24 pm

SlimShady83 wrote:
stan francisco wrote:Then let’s not go after Butler.


If Butler won't sign anything less then Max, we should KEEP INGRAM AND DEVELOP HIM INTO A STAR


Butler not worth the max


Unfortunately the league has become a place where you have to overpay to get all stars. I think we have to pay jimmy if it comes down to it to get better


Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Spanish_Laker
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,919
And1: 1,346
Joined: Jan 27, 2007
Location: Huelva, Spain
     

Re: Lebron recruiting/in contact with Kyrie, Kawhi, Jimmy Butler 

Post#68 » by Spanish_Laker » Mon May 27, 2019 1:30 pm

Hell NO to both Kyrie and Butler, both toxic guys whose prime is ending.

Leonard, Leonard, Leonard. If not, Klay. If not, KD, If not, mid-tier guys like Vucevic and Bogdanovic.
Arguably the greatest franchise ever
User avatar
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 51,882
And1: 11,081
Joined: Aug 02, 2005
     

Re: Lebron recruiting/in contact with Kyrie, Kawhi, Jimmy Butler 

Post#69 » by dockingsched » Wed May 29, 2019 4:43 am

Read on Twitter


Say what you will about Bucher, but after Magic resigned, Bucher was the first to go on the record and report that Magic was upset because he found out Rob was taking behind his back. Bucher might’ve gotten the part about Magic finding out through emails wrong, but he got the main story right. After Ric made the report, Magic tweeted that the truth would come out, which it eventually did proving Ric had good sourcing though not exact sourcing.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
lakerRD
Analyst
Posts: 3,652
And1: 729
Joined: May 16, 2007
       

Re: Lebron recruiting/in contact with Kyrie, Kawhi, Jimmy Butler 

Post#70 » by lakerRD » Wed May 29, 2019 5:29 am

I'd prefer Kawhi but after that, it would be a toss up between Kyrie and Butler.
With either of the 3, I'd bring in a defensive center like DAJ, and some shooters (Reddick) and we're in business.
SlimShady83
Head Coach
Posts: 6,429
And1: 750
Joined: Jun 19, 2012

Re: Lebron recruiting/in contact with Kyrie, Kawhi, Jimmy Butler 

Post#71 » by SlimShady83 » Wed May 29, 2019 6:36 am

dockingsched wrote:
Read on Twitter


Say what you will about Bucher, but after Magic resigned, Bucher was the first to go on the record and report that Magic was upset because he found out Rob was taking behind his back. Bucher might’ve gotten the part about Magic finding out through emails wrong, but he got the main story right. After Ric made the report, Magic tweeted that the truth would come out, which it eventually did proving Ric had good sourcing though not exact sourcing.



C'mon Kobe you can do it:) get us Kyrie :)

I mean I love Kahwi, but the chance of him coming is like the draft pic odds LOL
Bring back 80's 90's basketball please :)
Asianiac_24
Head Coach
Posts: 6,073
And1: 1,288
Joined: Jul 28, 2008
Contact:
   

Re: Lebron recruiting/in contact with Kyrie, Kawhi, Jimmy Butler 

Post#72 » by Asianiac_24 » Wed May 29, 2019 6:41 am

I'd give the max to any of Kawhi, Durant, Butler, and Klay. Kemba/Kyrie would not make us a contender.
Spens1
RealGM
Posts: 12,858
And1: 3,414
Joined: Jun 16, 2015
     

Re: Lebron recruiting/in contact with Kyrie, Kawhi, Jimmy Butler 

Post#73 » by Spens1 » Wed May 29, 2019 9:07 am

I hope Kyrie goes to Brooklyn, we don't need a greater circus for our team.

First options are obviously Kawhi Leonard and Kevin Durant (moreso Leonard).
NBAWestFan
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,357
And1: 109
Joined: Mar 20, 2006

Re: Lebron recruiting/in contact with Kyrie, Kawhi, Jimmy Butler 

Post#74 » by NBAWestFan » Wed May 29, 2019 2:37 pm

Spanish_Laker wrote:Hell NO to both Kyrie and Butler, both toxic guys whose prime is ending.

Leonard, Leonard, Leonard. If not, Klay. If not, KD, If not, mid-tier guys like Vucevic and Bogdanovic.


Sounds right

Leonard all in for him,
Klay

I would rather trade for Beal than Butler or Kyrie. He is a lot to pay but not the max. It all depends on what has to be given up for Beal. If it is not the #4 then I would consider it.
Michael Lucky
RealGM
Posts: 11,329
And1: 4,730
Joined: Jan 02, 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA
       

Re: Lebron recruiting/in contact with Kyrie, Kawhi, Jimmy Butler 

Post#75 » by Michael Lucky » Wed May 29, 2019 2:40 pm

NBAWestFan wrote:
Spanish_Laker wrote:Hell NO to both Kyrie and Butler, both toxic guys whose prime is ending.

Leonard, Leonard, Leonard. If not, Klay. If not, KD, If not, mid-tier guys like Vucevic and Bogdanovic.


Sounds right

Leonard all in for him,
Klay

I would rather trade for Beal than Butler or Kyrie. He is a lot to pay but not the max. It all depends on what has to be given up for Beal. If it is not the #4 then I would consider it.

I dont get this notion. You get a FA first and then you still have assets to trade for another. You dont just trade what you have and get rid of the cap space you have at the same time.
RamonSessions7
General Manager
Posts: 9,619
And1: 2,057
Joined: Feb 21, 2009
   

Re: Lebron recruiting/in contact with Kyrie, Kawhi, Jimmy Butler 

Post#76 » by RamonSessions7 » Wed May 29, 2019 3:26 pm

We went from 4/1 to 9/1 for Kawhi in 24 hours and Chris Carter (who has proven connections to Kawhi’s camp I believe and had us as favorites while other outlets were reporting Lebron to LA killed it for Kawhi ) mentioned raptors Knicks and clippers as the leaders now with Lakers trailing hard. Side note, how does anyone watch that show for any amount of time. What does listening to a Nick Wright do for anyone, yuck.
Image
User avatar
milesfides
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 16,012
And1: 1,447
Joined: Nov 09, 2004
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Re: Lebron recruiting/in contact with Kyrie, Kawhi, Jimmy Butler 

Post#77 » by milesfides » Thu May 30, 2019 3:16 pm

Jimmy Butler? Then also sign DeMarcus Cousins, and then the Lakers can be the poor man's Sixers.

Kyrie makes sense, if you have Lebron. Then the Lakers can be the poor man's Cavs.

But if you have Lebron, no Kawhi.
“OH! Caruso parachutes in! You cannot stop him - you can only hope to contain him!” -Kevin Harlan, LAL-GSW 4/4/19
Hoopz Afrik
Veteran
Posts: 2,694
And1: 1,864
Joined: Jul 07, 2009
     

Re: Lebron recruiting/in contact with Kyrie, Kawhi, Jimmy Butler 

Post#78 » by Hoopz Afrik » Thu May 30, 2019 5:02 pm

milesfides wrote:Jimmy Butler? Then also sign DeMarcus Cousins, and then the Lakers can be the poor man's Sixers.

Kyrie makes sense, if you have Lebron. Then the Lakers can be the poor man's Cavs.

But if you have Lebron, no Kawhi.


...and what happens if Kawhi does sign with the Lakers? You seem to be leading this "either or" crusade between him and LeBron. What will be your next angle?
Super Eagles GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
Asianiac_24
Head Coach
Posts: 6,073
And1: 1,288
Joined: Jul 28, 2008
Contact:
   

Re: Lebron recruiting/in contact with Kyrie, Kawhi, Jimmy Butler 

Post#79 » by Asianiac_24 » Thu May 30, 2019 5:44 pm

At this stage Kawhi looks almost certain to be a goner. I don't think he is leaving Toronto.
User avatar
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
Posts: 16,334
And1: 4,402
Joined: Jun 24, 2005
         

Re: Lebron recruiting/in contact with Kyrie, Kawhi, Jimmy Butler 

Post#80 » by Danny Darko » Thu May 30, 2019 6:10 pm

Asianiac_24 wrote:At this stage Kawhi looks almost certain to be a goner. I don't think he is leaving Toronto.



IDK... he's kind of a maniac. I also think he may get spanked in the finals, look at Paul George, and get the hell out of there before Lowery has to call in Weight Watchers and Richard Simmons.

To us?: no idea, but I bet he listens to offers and Jerry West will be making a lot of sense.
Image

Return to Los Angeles Lakers