ImageImageImageImageImage

Dream Budget Conscious Lakers Roster

Moderators: Danny Darko, Kilroy, TyCobb

Pythagoras
Analyst
And1: 3,282

Re: Dream Budget Conscious Lakers Roster 

Post#21 » by Pythagoras » Tue Jun 4, 2019 12:59 am

We had a net rating of +5.2 last year when LeBron, Kuzma, Ingram, and Lonzo were all on the floor. I feel like I’m one of the last Lakers fans who still has faith in LeBron + the young core, if that was what we had to roll with, lol.
Numbers rule the universe.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,538

Post#22 » by stan francisco » Tue Jun 4, 2019 2:44 am

Pythagoras wrote:We had a net rating of +5.2 last year when LeBron, Kuzma, Ingram, and Lonzo were all on the floor. I feel like I’m one of the last Lakers fans who still has faith in LeBron + the young core, if that was what we had to roll with, lol.

I’m with you, we’ll go far without a big FA added. I remember the way we played leading up to and on Christmas. Given our FA position, keep LBJ or trade him, we’ll make the playoffs with Kawhi and the kids alone.
PG: D Lo / Reaves / Vincent(IL) / JHS
SG: Christie / Dinwiddie / Lewis / Mays
SF: LBJ / Prince / Reddish / Windler
PF: Rui / Vando(IL) / LBJ
CTR: AD / Hayes / Wood

Modern era NBA titles:
LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4
Penberthy
Sixth Man
And1: 243

Post#23 » by Penberthy » Tue Jun 4, 2019 5:54 am

I would actually love to see us just add 28 year old Vucevic as he enters his prime and keep the #4. Let Lebron age like Duncan. Drop a few more dimes and take it to the rack a little less often- get more mileage out of him.

Ball (28) Beverly (20) Caruso
Reddick (28) Hart (20) Culver
Kuzma (16) Ingram (32) Bonga
Lebron (32) Kuzma (16)
Vucevic (34) Wagner (14)
tv24lakers
Junior
And1: 96

Post#24 » by tv24lakers » Tue Jun 4, 2019 10:00 pm

Pythagoras wrote:We had a net rating of +5.2 last year when LeBron, Kuzma, Ingram, and Lonzo were all on the floor. I feel like I’m one of the last Lakers fans who still has faith in LeBron + the young core, if that was what we had to roll with, lol.

I would keep the crew and simply add supporting and complimentary pieces if we weren’t in a rush to win right now.
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,632

Post#25 » by Pointgod » Wed Jun 5, 2019 2:12 pm

I’m not a subscriber to some type of budget conscious approach to our offseason because 1. You pay more for talent and 2. More than half the NBA teams have cap space this offseason so we’re really just screwing our selves if we want to be cheap. That being said one area to be conscious about is the center position. I read a good point that the center position in the NBA is a mercenary position, it doesn’t make a ton of sense to tie up a lot of cap space in that position. That’s why I’m torn on signing an allstar like Nik Vucevic who is an ideal center for this team, but would most like command 25M+ and doesn’t make sense as your second best player (we’d absolutely need a trade lined up if we were to go this route). Ideally we would platoon the center position and be able to bring a starting caliber center off the bench like the Raptors do, but at a discount.
tv24lakers
Junior
And1: 96

Post#26 » by tv24lakers » Wed Jun 5, 2019 7:04 pm

Pointgod wrote:I’m not a subscriber to some type of budget conscious approach to our offseason because 1. You pay more for talent and 2. More than half the NBA teams have cap space this offseason so we’re really just screwing our selves if we want to be cheap. That being said one area to be conscious about is the center position. I read a good point that the center position in the NBA is a mercenary position, it doesn’t make a ton of sense to tie up a lot of cap space in that position. That’s why I’m torn on signing an allstar like Nik Vucevic who is an ideal center for this team, but would most like command 25M+ and doesn’t make sense as your second best player (we’d absolutely need a trade lined up if we were to go this route). Ideally we would platoon the center position and be able to bring a starting caliber center off the bench like the Raptors do, but at a discount.

I agree with the point of paying for talent, which is precisely my argument for a balanced roster. There is a notion that should we sign a second star to accompany Lebron the floodgates will open for players wanting to sign at a reduced priced; that is not reality.

I have not suggested we be “cheap”, rather more judicious about free agency.

In terms of Centers and PFs, my preference would be to acquire leaner body stretch players that can complement Lebron and co. & as you noted, you pay for talent. We should not assume we can acquire a starting caliber center at the cheap.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,504

Post#27 » by zimpy27 » Wed Jun 5, 2019 10:06 pm

Pointgod wrote:I’m not a subscriber to some type of budget conscious approach to our offseason because 1. You pay more for talent and 2. More than half the NBA teams have cap space this offseason so we’re really just screwing our selves if we want to be cheap. That being said one area to be conscious about is the center position. I read a good point that the center position in the NBA is a mercenary position, it doesn’t make a ton of sense to tie up a lot of cap space in that position. That’s why I’m torn on signing an allstar like Nik Vucevic who is an ideal center for this team, but would most like command 25M+ and doesn’t make sense as your second best player (we’d absolutely need a trade lined up if we were to go this route). Ideally we would platoon the center position and be able to bring a starting caliber center off the bench like the Raptors do, but at a discount.

That's short-sighted though. You want to get good value for talent for future offseasons.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie

Return to Los Angeles Lakers