ImageImageImageImageImage

Eat crow thread

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

Mamba Mentality
RealGM
And1: 19,536

Re: Eat crow thread 

Post#21 » by Mamba Mentality » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:02 pm

Lebron and AD were essentially giftwrapped to LA...let's not be so haste in letting management off the hook just yet. The way I see it they still need to prove that they can build a team of complimentary players; I don't want to see another year of Beasley, Stephenson, Rondo, ect.
tv24lakers
Junior
And1: 96

Post#22 » by tv24lakers » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:25 pm

LakersSoul wrote:All the complainers that thought the Lakers FO was a mess is now faced with a much stronger coaching staff since Phil Jackson days. Those that worried about Pelinka, Rambises are now faced with 2 top 5 players in the NBA in Bron and AD. Those that whined about the vision of the FO are faced with a clean plate and room for 1 Max (near max) guy and potential to create the scariest team.

How about some crow munching here?

While getting AD was a massive win we now have several key roster holes to plug. Let's celebrate after they fill those gaps this off season.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,970

Post#23 » by zimpy27 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:50 pm

karkinos wrote:still disappointed in the lack of attention to details
should have locked down the extended deadline part of this trade.

The vagueness may be part of the plan. Sometimes you don't bring up details so that you make the deal.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
karkinos
Head Coach
And1: 2,058

Post#24 » by karkinos » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:58 pm

zimpy27 wrote:

The vagueness may be part of the plan. Sometimes you don't bring up details so that you make the deal.

deception in a trade on this scale is not advisable.
already lots of bad blood between these two.
machine18
Ballboy
And1: 16

Post#25 » by machine18 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:36 pm

Yeah, I'm still standing by the criticism. I still think the past few months of complete incompetence hurt us, as Griffin was able to leverage just how badly we needed to get this done against us. I obviously love having Davis, but this feels more like Rich Paul/Lebron's work, as much as I hate giving them credit.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#26 » by Slava » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:41 pm

Rajon Rondo is a good litmus test. If they bring him back it means they've learned absolutely nothing, if they don't and concentrate on better fits, I'll give them much deserved props.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
kobe808lak
Sixth Man
And1: 601

Post#27 » by kobe808lak » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:55 pm

This trade is still kind of a mess, they paid a steep price. If Davis walks next year, we are literally done for 6-8 years. Also the timing of the trade should be pushed so we can acquire another near max contract. We gave up our draft for the next 6 years, the least the Pels could do was wait another 20 days for this trade. I don't see how we didn't get that for sure included...

I also hated that we bid against ourselves in this mess. They weren't getting anything close to this deal from any other team. Knicks and Celts didn't even have offers for God's sake.
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,637

Post#28 » by danfantastk32 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:05 pm

Let's see it out. Let's also wait and find out all the facts. Was this is a deal-breaker issue for NO?? Seems unlikely, but perhaps they have a move or two up their sleeve still? This might have been a sticking point with NO....and can you imagine Laker-Nation had this fallen through over that?

But if this was an 'oh damn..." moment, then yes....huge mistake.
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,637

Post#29 » by danfantastk32 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:15 pm

No reason for anyone to 'eat crow'.

I think Rob deserves as much credit as anyone else. If these good things were Lebron's doing...then blame him for Brook, for signing Rondo...etc etc. You can't throw Rob/Magic under the bus for the crap, and then give the props to Rich/Lebron for the good. We're a team...we're working together. There's a reason AD wanted to come to LA initially. And some of it is the franchise's history. Alot of folks can take credit.

Back to back major gets from this FO. As a guy who thought Jim was ruining the franchise...I say enough already. He's moved on. Magic came...did some good, did some bad, and now he's moved on. Rob might ultimately fail. Might quit....might be our greatest GM ever. But for now.....he's running things, and good things are happening. Let's just all be happy.

And lastly....we ain't won a game yet. And AD hasn't resigned. And we don't have much of a roster yet. So let's root for the guy to pull off some good things, and let's hope we at least challenge. There's no shame in having doubts with some of this. The franchise has been a mess since Dr Buss passed. I get it.
gts1
Starter
And1: 1,232

Post#30 » by gts1 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:54 pm

karkinos wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:

What deception.... Lakers may have decided to not negotiate an extended deadline knowing it was or would be a no go and .. instead made the deal they could to lock in Davis then try and negotiate the rest as the draft and early days of free agency unfolded. So much of what happens depends on the Pelicans and what happens to that pick
Wife: "you haven't heard a single thing I said"
Me: that's a funny way to start a conversation...
tamaraw08
Analyst
And1: 1,286

Post#31 » by tamaraw08 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:09 pm

Slava wrote:Rajon Rondo is a good litmus test. If they bring him back it means they've learned absolutely nothing, if they don't and concentrate on better fits, I'll give them much deserved props.

you are probably like me who cringe everytime his defender leaves him open and him bricking shots but this guy worked very well with AD along with Jrue at NO, sweeping the Blazers 2 playoffs ago. His passes are on point, those lob passes will generate several easy baskets IMO. I only get him for the vet minimum though. Priority should be Beverley then Collison
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#32 » by Kilroy » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:15 pm

If they really didn't negotiate for the 30th completion date, that's enough of an indication there's still a huge problem at the top...
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
iamworthy
RealGM
And1: 8,909

Post#33 » by iamworthy » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:20 pm

Slava wrote:Rajon Rondo is a good litmus test. If they bring him back it means they've learned absolutely nothing, if they don't and concentrate on better fits, I'll give them much deserved props.

Outside of the bench fiasco, and the injuries I thought he was ok. We need someone like him that doesn't care if he scores or not.I'd bring him back on the cheap. Am I missing something?
karkinos
Head Coach
And1: 2,058

Post#34 » by karkinos » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:44 pm

gts1 wrote:
karkinos wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:

What deception.... Lakers may have decided to not negotiate an extended deadline knowing it was or would be a no go and .. instead made the deal they could to lock in Davis then try and negotiate the rest as the draft and early days of free agency unfolded. So much of what happens depends on the Pelicans and what happens to that pick

not sure what world you come from but i find this unprofessional and sloppy behavior.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#35 » by Slava » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:45 pm

iamworthy wrote:

Outside of the bench fiasco, and the injuries I thought he was ok. We need someone like him that doesn't care if he scores or not.I'd bring him back on the cheap. Am I missing something?

He's had terrible on/off numbers on every team he has played.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
mighty_duck
Junior
And1: 153

Post#36 » by mighty_duck » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:35 pm

NO had so little leverage - a great player but on a 1 year lease, who publicly said he wanted out and would only sign here, and very few other suitors. Despite that weak position, they absolutely murdered us on the draft picks with the trade here.
You can bet that Danny Ainge or Daryl Morey wouldn't have given up so many future assets if they were the Laker's GM .
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,970

Post#37 » by zimpy27 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:40 pm

Kilroy wrote:If they really didn't negotiate for the 30th completion date, that's enough of an indication there's still a huge problem at the top...

Someone on the GB posted that the AD trade package adds up to 25m which is exactly enough to salary match for AD with his trade kicker.

That has to be intentional. That means AD does get his trade kicker in a scenario where salary-matching matters and after pick 4 is signed. That will be July 30.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
Landsberger
General Manager
And1: 1,969

Post#38 » by Landsberger » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:36 pm

Isn't this tread premature? Was the goal to get Davis or win a championship? The 2 are connected but just getting Davis is in no way putting another trophy in the case without several important moves to follow. Don't get me wrong.... Davis is a good thing (we paid a ton for him for sure).

In many ways getting Davis was easy compared to how we get another star AND actually fill out a roster with enough decent players to allow any of the top 4 more than 3 minutes rest per half. Loooong way to go.
Texas_Lakers
Senior
And1: 354

Post#39 » by Texas_Lakers » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:40 pm

Kilroy wrote:They recovered and sealed the deal they were supposed to close at the deadline... They got massively lucky with the 4th pick... That doesn't happen, I doubt this deal goes through...

They kept a guy in Kuzma because he kissed the Owners ass (perhaps literally?)...

They have a lot to do to recover their respectability IMO...

But granted... Things look a lot better today than they did a week ago.

God is a Lakers fan, never forget.... Dr. Buss and Chick Hearn were looking down on the Lakers during the lottery draw.
2018 Los Angeles Rams
dAdo dA dEvil
Sixth Man
And1: 476

Post#40 » by dAdo dA dEvil » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:17 am

iamworthy wrote:

I'd bring back Rondo because I think he did OK and that game winning shot against the Celtics is enough reason for me to do so. :D
Seriously, bringing Rondo back is a good move because it ensures you a PG that is willing to play coming off the bench. If ever we can't sign a better PG than him, Rondo can still be a decent starter. Sign Caruso to play back up.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers