ImageImageImageImageImage

FO love!!

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

myersia
Analyst
And1: 788

Re: FO love!! 

Post#41 » by myersia » Sun Jul 7, 2019 4:45 pm

tviper wrote:Rob Pelinka deserves a lot of credit. The failure to land Kawhi lies solely at the feet of Jeanie Buss. She is totally inept as an owner. The second Magic left, she should have moved to hire an experienced POBO and given him full reign of the entire basketball operations. She instead empowered the Rambis family. Here is how I see Rob's success amidst the Kawhi disappointment:

1. Pulled off the AD trade and kept max cap room open
2. Had a plan B ready to go and immediately signed his top target (Green) once Kawhi made his choice
3. Kept continuity with the roster by bringing back Rondo, KCP, and McGee all on reasonable contracts
4. Kept the deals to two years, understanding that next year's FA pool is horrible
5. Signed players in Rondo and Cousins who AD has familiarity to make him more comfortable on his new team
6. Focused on spot up shooters in Cook, Daniels and Dudley on minimum deals to take advantage of double teams

Agreed. I think Rob is doing a great job as a gm.
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,691

Post#42 » by Pointgod » Sun Jul 7, 2019 5:05 pm

Yes this front office deserves a ton of credit considering where they started from. Capped out with the long term contracts of Deng and Mozgov. Lottery team without much upside, that had missed out on free agents the previous few seasons.

If we had said back then that in a couple of years we’d have Anthony Davis AND Lebron, all of us would have said **** yeah. They had mistakes along the way like losing Randle for nothing, that insanely stupid Zubac trade and letting go of some cheap talent but the FO including Magic deserves a lot of credit for getting us back to contender status and make no mistake we are back to a championship team.
Landsberger
General Manager
And1: 1,969

Post#43 » by Landsberger » Sun Jul 7, 2019 5:49 pm

LakersSoul wrote:
Landsberger wrote:They caught the falling knife today pretty well. Not jazzed about Cousins but the rest of the signings are the best case scenarios it seems.

Vet min for an ex-star recovering from that injury and having a full summer to prepare is a great trade. High reward/low risk.

Trade? We signed cousins for the vet minimum. The problems with Cousins have nothing to do with his stardom or his injury. I agree paying big for the possibility he disrupts the team would be a mistake. Time will tell if we get our money's worth.

I was not encouraged at all with his play from a mental aspect during the finals. He was horrible down the stretch in the last 2 games in fact. Recovering from injury doesn't change what was truly bad in his ability to play under the pressure of the finals.

That said, I hope he figures it out. He's bee largely a malcontent and has a rep for resisting coaching. We'll see if trying to get his career back on track puts a little perspective into his approach.
leeprettyp
Assistant Coach
And1: 680

Post#44 » by leeprettyp » Sun Jul 7, 2019 6:45 pm

Almost 3 years ago.... Magic and Pelinka started with Clarkson and Russell arguably our best players, alongside bad contracts of Deng and Mosgov and now in consecutive off-seasons we brought in 2 elite superstars. Although, Magic ESPN episode and him quitting like that hurt us a bit.... We're actually a contender this year. I'll miss Ingram, Zo, Randle and Russell, but once LBJ came the youth movement was out the door and tbh it appears people are underrating just how great Anthony Davis is. He'll be the draw in the future and the P&R game with him and Lebron about to be deadly
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 9,821

Post#45 » by TyCobb » Sun Jul 7, 2019 7:40 pm

I'm as big of a Lonzo Ball fan as there is, but getting AD is just something you can't pass on. I really feel like Lebron, regardless of his current age, and AD, will dominate the next 3 years together. Kobe did it with Gasol... Bron should be able to do it with AD.. I can't wait.
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
leeprettyp
Assistant Coach
And1: 680

Post#46 » by leeprettyp » Sun Jul 7, 2019 7:57 pm

TyCobb wrote:I'm as big of a Lonzo Ball fan as there is, but getting AD is just something you can't pass on. I really feel like Lebron, regardless of his current age, and AD, will dominate the next 3 years together. Kobe did it with Gasol... Bron should be able to do it with AD.. I can't wait.

Hopefully we can stay healthy... I think we have much better shooters surrounding LBJ this season
LakersSoul
Head Coach
And1: 4,486

Post#47 » by LakersSoul » Sun Jul 7, 2019 9:07 pm

leeprettyp wrote:
TyCobb wrote:I'm as big of a Lonzo Ball fan as there is, but getting AD is just something you can't pass on. I really feel like Lebron, regardless of his current age, and AD, will dominate the next 3 years together. Kobe did it with Gasol... Bron should be able to do it with AD.. I can't wait.

Hopefully we can stay healthy... I think we have much better shooters surrounding LBJ this season

Big roster improvements from last season with the messy play makers. Pelinka has done well. Next year we need to add better defenders and shooters plus youth to the mix.

Then get another max guy in 2 years with the decline of LeBron.

"Westy, LeBron + AD to rule the West.
Return of the King, the Lakers."
snaquille oatmeal
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,763

Post#48 » by snaquille oatmeal » Mon Jul 8, 2019 12:35 am

Though I think the FO deserves some props they did get played by Leonard. We were used as leverage to pull out PG from OKC, there are even reports that KL met with PG 2 hours before he met with the Lakers. The Lakers wanted to meet at El Segundo and KL changed the location to a hotel near were PG was. That’s some shady S if you ask me.
Forum permissions
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot trade for basketball reasons in this forum
You cannot but I can...five rings!
Landsberger
General Manager
And1: 1,969

Post#49 » by Landsberger » Mon Jul 8, 2019 12:41 am

snaquille oatmeal wrote:Though I think the FO deserves some props they did get played by Leonard. We were used as leverage to pull out PG from OKC, there are even reports that KL met with PG 2 hours before he met with the Lakers. The Lakers wanted to meet at El Segundo and KL changed the location to a hotel near were PG was. That’s some shady S if you ask me.

I agree but the speed at which we filled in the roster after the decision tells me that we had a very well oiled plan B in place. I find it hard to believe that we were blindsided by this. If the Lakers were his top choice it would have been right away. We weren't going to change our team. Only Toronto and the Clippers could change. I do fault them in not setting a deadline however. They should have done that.
snaquille oatmeal
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,763

Post#50 » by snaquille oatmeal » Mon Jul 8, 2019 12:49 am

Landsberger wrote:
snaquille oatmeal wrote:Though I think the FO deserves some props they did get played by Leonard. We were used as leverage to pull out PG from OKC, there are even reports that KL met with PG 2 hours before he met with the Lakers. The Lakers wanted to meet at El Segundo and KL changed the location to a hotel near were PG was. That’s some shady S if you ask me.

I agree but the speed at which we filled in the roster after the decision tells me that we had a very well oiled plan B in place. I find it hard to believe that we were blindsided by this. If the Lakers were his top choice it would have been right away. We weren't going to change our team. Only Toronto and the Clippers could change. I do fault them in not setting a deadline however. They should have done that.

Yeah it’s been reported that the KL people called the Lakers on Friday night to ask them to not execute the AD trade right at the deadline on Saturday and wait for his decision while actually buying time for the Clippers to complete the PG trade.
Forum permissions