Kawhi goes to Clips, now what?

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

MAMBAEMD
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,622

Re: Kawhi goes to Clips, now what? 

Post#201 » by MAMBAEMD » Sun Jul 7, 2019 3:04 am

AcecardZ wrote:
karkinos wrote:no i think you feel entitled to something/someone that was never yours in the first place. i also don't throw stones while living in a glass house. lakers just got AD and you don't think some of your own "rules" were broken along the way?

i call it like i see it. what i don't like is people driving an unnecessary narrative when kawhi releases the least amount of information and none of us have anything to quote him on.

We negotiated with him in good faith. We deserved the same courtesy with him in return.

Exactly. We waited for him thinking he needs time to think it through.
He made us wait to see if PG can convince OKC to trade him either to the Clips or Raptors.
We acted in good faith.
Formerly lakerRD
karkinos
Head Coach
And1: 2,058

Post#202 » by karkinos » Sun Jul 7, 2019 3:06 am

AcecardZ wrote:
karkinos wrote:no i think you feel entitled to something/someone that was never yours in the first place. i also don't throw stones while living in a glass house. lakers just got AD and you don't think some of your own "rules" were broken along the way?

i call it like i see it. what i don't like is people driving an unnecessary narrative when kawhi releases the least amount of information and none of us have anything to quote him on.

We negotiated with him in good faith. We deserved the same courtesy with him in return.

... and truthfully I think we got it for the most part. We were his second choice all along and once the Clippers got the player Kawhi wanted the rest is history. I do think he will ultimately regret his decision but maybe not. In the meantime Lakerfan has nothing to be upset about. The team is great and if they stay healthy they should be able to contend for a championship.
He clearly was meeting other teams. This was not a hidden fact.
He is not obligated to tell us what other teams are planning.
Clippers didn't have a trade done until last night so if you want to blame someone, that would be Ballmer, the rival owner.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
chefy
Head Coach
And1: 650

Post#203 » by chefy » Sun Jul 7, 2019 3:14 am

lets not be sore losers and not blame the man.

if he just wanted an easy way out he would've chosen joining ad and lebron just like what KD did two years ago and start collecting rings. but no he wanted to compete against them. i respect that.

focus on the things you can control. fo's mistake was giving him all the leverage. you just don't do that especially after trading all your assets.
Slink
Bench Warmer
And1: 965

Post#204 » by Slink » Sun Jul 7, 2019 3:38 am

chefy wrote:lets not be sore losers and not blame the man.

if he just wanted an easy way out he would've chosen joining ad and lebron just like what KD did two years ago and start collecting rings. but no he wanted to compete against them. i respect that.

focus on the things you can control. fo's mistake was giving him all the leverage. you just don't do that especially after trading all your assets.

In hindsight Clippers were always his first choice. If the Paul George deal didn't come through then I think he would have taken a short term contract with Lakers or Raptors
john248
Starter
And1: 651

Post#205 » by john248 » Sun Jul 7, 2019 3:44 am

Jerry West...
The Last Word
AcecardZ
Lead Assistant
And1: 541

Post#206 » by AcecardZ » Sun Jul 7, 2019 3:55 am

“Hi Kawhi! We’d love to have you on the team. We’re prepared to offer you a max contract to come play for the Lakers with LeBron and Anthony Davis.”

“Thanks Jeanne but let me see what’s going on with the Clipper first”

“Take care Kawhi and good luck wherever you end up.”

That is how that conversation should have gone. We want to be a player’s first choice. Not their fallback plan.

I’m actually getting mad thinking about it. Our management is so goddamn soft!
Sometimes being wrong is awesome!!! :D
Kobeallday
Sophomore
And1: 35

Post#207 » by Kobeallday » Sun Jul 7, 2019 5:03 am

AcecardZ wrote:

... and truthfully I think we got it for the most part. We were his second choice all along and once the Clippers got the player Kawhi wanted the rest is history. I do think he will ultimately regret his decision but maybe not. In the meantime Lakerfan has nothing to be upset about. The team is great and if they stay healthy they should be able to contend for a championship.

We were not his 2nd choice, we were his last option, both the raptors and clippers were trying to trade for PG13 and whoever got him would get the snake as well....if neither were able to trade for him then he comes to us.
Themaster007_v2
Freshman
And1: 49

Post#208 » by Themaster007_v2 » Sun Jul 7, 2019 5:18 am

Kobeallday wrote:
AcecardZ wrote:

We were not his 2nd choice, we were his last option, both the raptors and clippers were trying to trade for PG13 and whoever got him would get the snake as well....if neither were able to trade for him then he comes to us.

This. It was reported that 1. Multiple teams knew that PG and Russ had tensions with management and the direction the team was going 2. Presti didn't want a disgruntle star to begin the season; Either way, PG was going to get traded. It was just a matter of who would give the better offer for PG. Apparently, the Raps didn't want to include Pascal Siakam in any deal. Clips gave a better package; thus, getting Kawhi. Woj came out with the report that Kawhi was going to sign with the Lakers but that's just a PR move to stop the negative feedback.
karkinos
Head Coach

Post#209 » by karkinos » Sun Jul 7, 2019 12:14 pm

AcecardZ wrote:“Hi Kawhi! We’d love to have you on the team. We’re prepared to offer you a max contract to come play for the Lakers with LeBron and Anthony Davis.”

That is how that conversation should have gone. We want to be a player’s first choice. Not their fallback plan.

so basically waiting around all week and watching him meet with other teams wasn't an obvious hint? christ.
Son Goku 25
RealGM
And1: 40,592

Post#210 » by Son Goku 25 » Sun Jul 7, 2019 2:59 pm

Lakers are deeper
Read
Jayt99
Rookie
And1: 1,552

Post#211 » by Jayt99 » Sun Jul 7, 2019 5:42 pm

Kobeallday wrote:
AcecardZ wrote:

From the reports, that I read, the Lakers were indeed his 2nd choice. Raptors trying to trade for PG was nothing more than Kawhi using them for leverage against the Clippers. Apparently Raptors brass knew he was never gonna sign and the clippers pulled the trigger because of their fear of him coming to the lakers and building a dynasty in their own building

Honestly, as a raptors fan, I'm cool that he left but the way he manipulated and trick multiple organizations leaves a bad taste in my mouth
karkinos
Head Coach

Post#212 » by karkinos » Sun Jul 7, 2019 5:48 pm

how is telling an org that doesn't have a superstar that if they trade and get PG he will sign there "manipulative"?
neither org had PG to start with
without the trade, lakers were the likely destination by default. that is not insincere. that is fact. neither of the other teams had the support he wanted.
both the raptors and clippers drew an inside straight and the river landed in the clippers favor.

lakers will be fine without kawhi. we'll see how rivers handles his minutes throughout the season.
AcecardZ
Lead Assistant
And1: 541

Post#213 » by AcecardZ » Sun Jul 7, 2019 6:34 pm

karkinos wrote:
AcecardZ wrote:“Hi Kawhi! We’d love to have you on the team. We’re prepared to offer you a max contract to come play for the Lakers with LeBron and Anthony Davis.”

so basically waiting around all week and watching him meet with other teams wasn't an obvious hint? christ.

Depends on what was said...

A: I’m undecided and exploring my options.

B: If the Clippers make a move and bring in another star to play with they are my first choice. If they don’t then the Lakers will be my choice.

There’s a big difference between the two. A) I’m fine with. B) not so much.
Sometimes being wrong is awesome!!! :D
Jayt99
Rookie

Post#214 » by Jayt99 » Sun Jul 7, 2019 6:49 pm

karkinos wrote:how is telling an org that doesn't have a superstar that if they trade and get PG he will sign there "manipulative"?
without the trade, lakers were the likely destination by default. that is not insincere. that is fact. neither of the other teams had the support he wanted.
both the raptors and clippers drew an inside straight and the river landed in the clippers favor.

lakers will be fine without kawhi. we'll see how rivers handles his minutes throughout the season.

Raptors brass felt like even if they did acquire PG he wouldn't have joined them. Masai knew that when talking to OKC they were never seriously being considered.
MAMBAEMD
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,622

Post#215 » by MAMBAEMD » Sun Jul 7, 2019 6:59 pm

Jayt99 wrote:
karkinos wrote:how is telling an org that doesn't have a superstar that if they trade and get PG he will sign there "manipulative"?

Raptors brass felt like even if they did acquire PG he wouldn't have joined them. Masai knew that when talking to OKC they were never seriously being considered.

Good point.
It is pretty obvious that Kawhi strung both the Raptors and Lakers along.
To argue otherwise is to completely miss the facts.

Of course the Lakers will be fine without Kawhi. We have AD and LBJ, and a terrific and deep supporting cast.
I'm actually really happy that Toronto experienced a championship.
I hope that you continue to do well in the East and build around Siakam.
Formerly lakerRD
Ball so hard
Sixth Man
And1: 677

Post#216 » by Ball so hard » Sun Jul 7, 2019 7:04 pm

milesfides wrote:Wait, how are we blaming Kawhi for this?

He and George are two MVP DPOY candidates in their prime playing with a deep and talented supporting cast and a highly respected and capable coach in the city they grew up in.

What a dream for them.

Yes, it would be great if this all happened on the Lakers, but that's on ownership and the front office for dropping the ball. They were in their own way with incompetence, drama, and bad faith.

All they needed to do was let the boys come home. They didn't. Somebody else did.

Not too late to root for the Clippers.
Jayt99
Rookie

Post#217 » by Jayt99 » Sun Jul 7, 2019 7:31 pm

lakerRD wrote:
Jayt99 wrote:

Good point.
It is pretty obvious that Kawhi strung both the Raptors and Lakers along.
To argue otherwise is to completely miss the facts.

Of course, the Lakers will be fine without Kawhi. We have AD and LBJ, and a terrific and deep supporting cast.
I'm actually really happy that Toronto experienced a championship.
I hope that you continue to do well in the East and build around Siakam.

Yeah, same to you I hope Lakers prove all the doubter wrong. Hoping that AD makes people remeber jsut how good he was seems like many have forgotten due to all the drama that surrounded him. If cousins return to form you guys are gonna be hella dangerous for anyone
Landsberger
General Manager
And1: 1,969

Post#218 » by Landsberger » Sun Jul 7, 2019 8:42 pm

From what I've read (from "league sources") is that Kawhi gave both the Clippers and Toronto the same option.... get PG and I'll follow. What he really is saying is that I need a second star and I don't want to be on a team and be the 3rd.

Now playing the Raptors against the Clippers or not is completely conjecture as it was up to OKC to get the best deal for PG. A deal with Toronto needed to include players because they didn't have the picks the Clippers did. I'm sure Kawhi wanted go to LA as did PG so I'm sure that played into it.

Judging by the speed of our moves post Kawhi's announcement we were well aware we were the backup option. I actually think we're a deeper team without him. Time will tell if we will be better as well. He's a great player but when you have 3 of those guys the law of diminishing returns starts to set in and the focus becomes on the rest of what you have over just the top 3. With Bron, Kawhi and Davis all missing time (almost a certainty with either injury or load management) you have to have depth. I think that will be more important than the difference in quality of our 3rd best player.
SweetTouch
RealGM
And1: 2,961

Post#219 » by SweetTouch » Sun Jul 7, 2019 8:58 pm

This title will be on whether or not Kuzma can take that next step offensively
He will be left wide open
Stop being so disrespectful.
Ball so hard
Sixth Man
And1: 677

Post#220 » by Ball so hard » Sun Jul 7, 2019 10:09 pm

I've said it before and i'll say it again... it made little to no sense why 3 teams were "still being considered" after several days of deliberation. He could've easily eliminated 1 team so said team can move on. I can accept the outcome, but i'm not a fan of how Kawhi and his team handled things.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers