With Kawhi off the books, I'd like to take a shot with Cousins

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

lazybatman
Sixth Man
And1: 876

Re: With Kawhi off the books, I'd like to take a shot with Cousins 

Post#21 » by lazybatman » Sat Jul 6, 2019 6:33 pm

gts1 wrote:
Kilroy wrote:LeBron's going to be feeding AD... Don't need Cousins...

I genuinely dislike him... But I guess, if healthy, he's the best talent out there still... It's that 'if he's healthy' bit though... He's not... Not in the body or the mind...
I don't like it... I think what we saw of him last year is as good as it gets. We'll see more injuries, he's lost a step has no lift... Add in his crappy attitude, I hope the Lakers stay clear of him

First year after an achilles is always tough. He gives us a dimension, a difference maker unlike the rest of FAs we're rushing to sign up.

Mcgee, despite being the sweetheart he is, can't -
defend in a system, except the glorious blocks. Can't blame the guy for effort. Cousins is probably worse or equal on that count.
shoot 3s
bring the ball up after a rebound
drive in to a set half court defense
get a triple double on his best night
play the pick man in P&R
be the best Post player in the league after Joel Embiid
torch the world champ Raptors in the NBA finals for a 11-10-6 stat sheet in 20 odd minutes

Lebron, AD and Rondo would be a great foil for his emotional struggles. I figure he'd respect them and try to learn to win from them, perhaps like JR Smith.

I look at it like 5-10 mil with a massive upside, unlike the guys we're signing rn.
Demagoog
Senior
And1: 1,874

Post#22 » by Demagoog » Sat Jul 6, 2019 6:37 pm

Read on Twitter

Thank you.
Ckay
Head Coach
And1: 8,336

Post#23 » by Ckay » Sat Jul 6, 2019 6:42 pm

I like it.
NBAWestFan
Bench Warmer
And1: 122

Post#24 » by NBAWestFan » Sat Jul 6, 2019 6:42 pm

Is that true Cousins to the Lakers to come back to join forces with AD.

Cousins is a baller so he should be healthy by next playoffs.

This was a great pick up.
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,637

Post#25 » by danfantastk32 » Sat Jul 6, 2019 7:07 pm

Perfect! 1 year deal. I love it.
detlef_schrempf
Junior
And1: 489

Post#26 » by detlef_schrempf » Sat Jul 6, 2019 8:51 pm

SlimShady83 wrote:Mcgee is starting the Centre spot
AD at PF

Maybe if he willing to come off the bench and way less money then KCP getting sure

Test him out. But not a fan, but there isn't much out there

McGee is starting the center spot.........

Repeat that to yourself.

Repeat it again.
DO THE DEW!
chefy
Head Coach
And1: 650

Post#27 » by chefy » Sat Jul 6, 2019 8:58 pm

now bring Vitti back!
Rosque
Analyst
And1: 2,010

Post#28 » by Rosque » Sat Jul 6, 2019 9:00 pm

detlef_schrempf wrote:
SlimShady83 wrote:Mcgee is starting the Centre spot
AD at PF

Maybe if he willing to come off the bench and way less money then KCP getting sure

Test him out. But not a fan, but there isn't much out there

McGee is starting the center spot.........

Repeat that to yourself.

Repeat it again.

Mybe in garpax organization. Not as a Laker.
"All these guys who run these organizations who talk about analytics, they have one thing in common: They're a bunch of guys who ain't never played the game, they never got the girls in high school, and they just want to get in the game."
tviper
Sixth Man
And1: 260

Post#29 » by tviper » Sat Jul 6, 2019 9:26 pm

Will be an interesting camp battle between McGee and Cousins to see who starts. Competition is always good. I love our size in the front court. Unfortunately, Cousins is only a one year rental depending on how the contracts are constructed. If he plays well, he will get paid next year. If he sucks, Lakers won't re-sign him. I could see him as trade bait at the deadline.
kblo247
RealGM
And1: 2,130

Post#30 » by kblo247 » Sat Jul 6, 2019 9:37 pm

The Warriors were massively BETTER defensively with Cousins on court in the finals

Warriors With Cousins off court: 122.4 Drtg in 180 minutes
Warriors with Cousins On court: 108.6 DRtg in 108 minutes
kblo247
RealGM
And1: 2,130

Post#31 » by kblo247 » Sat Jul 6, 2019 9:38 pm

tviper wrote:Will be an interesting camp battle between McGee and Cousins to see who starts. Competition is always good. I love our size in the front court. Unfortunately, Cousins is only a one year rental depending on how the contracts are constructed. If he plays well, he will get paid next year. If he sucks, Lakers won't re-sign him. I could see him as trade bait at the deadline.

You have to almost give him the full 9mil exemption if it goes well next summer and then get his early bird rights. Earn his trust
LakersSoul
Head Coach
And1: 4,486

Post#32 » by LakersSoul » Sat Jul 6, 2019 11:29 pm

Guchje wrote:Yes, you heard that right. Now before people sprint to their torches and pitchforks, allow me to provide some arguments as to why. First of all, I know I need to address his injury history. We've seen with Kobe that it ain't easy to return from an achilles, and Cousins' season with the Warriors wasn't exactly great overall. However, I thought he showed flashes of brilliance and good old Boogie. In play as well as the daily tech gathering. However, that was year one of return, and on so many instances we've seen that players need some time to get back onto their feet. Signing him on a long short term contract (if that makes sense), team options for instance. What I'm trying to say is a contract with multiple outs. If it works out, great. If it doesn't work out, no big deal, we can easily get rid of him. Cousins is a shot at low risk, high reward.

Now to get to point two: Anthony Davis. Two centers in the modern NBA doesn't work they said. That's true, unless those centers possess the skill that those two guys have, and we've seen in New Orleans it can work. It is possible. Unfortunately, just as the train got rolling, Cousins obviously got hurt and that was the end of that. However, those brief months they were together brought some very, very exciting moments. They played like big guards, rather than just bigs. Playing two bigs usually results in a full paint, which wouldn't just hurt each other, but also hurt LeBron. Davis and Cousins however are both able to step outside and create space. And, and this is my favourite point, they are a P&R disaster. They don't set picks for others, they can run the P&R together.

Davis is his best friend (I think), LeBron is here to provide leadership. This is one of our few shots at greatness and we have to take it.

Vet min.
Keeps AD happy. I think adding Rondo was also for AD. Rondo is not a Pelinka type of signing, someone who cannot shoot. He will be a good bench guy as the 2-3 option. By season’s end, I think Caruso takes the backup role.

"Westy, LeBron + AD to rule the West.
Return of the King, the Lakers."
BandWagonWheel
Ballboy
And1: 13

Post#33 » by BandWagonWheel » Sat Jul 6, 2019 11:47 pm

This free agency has been crazy, not only are we talking about desiring boogie but there is the story I ain't heard anyone break yet, so I am going to just dish the tea right here for yall

The nets deal with KD almost DID NOT EVEN HAPPEN!

The LA Spark had cap room for one maxi contract. They were in talks with KD to offer him 4 years Maxi, where he would get one case of maxipads each time the media or another player disparaged him, and he was going to take his talents and soft touch, to the LA Spark. It fell apart in the final hours because shooting guard Riquna Williams was glaring at him some type of way when he stepped out his Volkswagen Bug caravan
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 5,391

Post#34 » by Danny Darko » Sat Jul 6, 2019 11:51 pm

closing as we did take the shot at cousins...

Return to Los Angeles Lakers