ImageImageImageImageImage

Javale Mcgee

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

LALifer49
Rookie
And1: 862

Javale Mcgee 

Post#1 » by LALifer49 » Mon Jul 8, 2019 11:19 pm

I think Javale Mcgee is one of the more underrated signings of our offseason and is gonna have tremendous impact for us. He and AD have the potential to be a devastating defensive duo for us, both super long, athletic, great rim protectors. I think Kcp or Bradley and Green hounding perimeter guys, and AD/Mcgee holding down the paint could be one of the better defensive lineups in the league. That is a lineup that can play shut down defense and be terrors in transition.

Is this the ideal starting lineup for us? Or do you think we should start Cousins or Kuzma? I'd have to say of all 3 options, I like Kuzma off the bench for us best.
mighty_duck
Junior
And1: 153

Re: Javale Mcgee 

Post#2 » by mighty_duck » Mon Jul 8, 2019 11:54 pm

Because of optics and ego, I think Cousins will start, at least at the beginning of the season (at least until we reach a rough patch). If he plays 26 minutes a night, he will have to play some of them with AD and Lebron, say the first 5 minutes of each half.
But he and Kuz should headline our bench mob when Lebron and AD are sitting. They provide enough scoring punch, that we don't have to stagger our two stars' minutes. Add Rondo to orchestrate and two 3-and-D players, and you have a bench team that should dominate in the regular season.
dAdo dA dEvil
Sixth Man
And1: 476

Post#3 » by dAdo dA dEvil » Tue Jul 9, 2019 12:55 am

LALifer49 wrote:I think Javale Mcgee is one of the more underrated signings of our offseason and is gonna have tremendous impact for us. He and AD have the potential to be a devastating defensive duo for us, both super long, athletic, great rim protectors. I think Kcp or Bradley and Green hounding perimeter guys, and AD/Mcgee holding down the paint could be one of the better defensive lineups in the league. That is a lineup that can play shut down defense and be terrors in transition.

Is this the ideal starting lineup for us? Or do you think we should start Cousins or Kuzma? I'd have to say of all 3 options, I like Kuzma off the bench for us best.

We could change our staring unit depending on who we play. I agree that AD / McGee is devastating defensively but AD / Cousins is better offensively. If we are against great offensive bigs I would go with the McGee / AD duo. If the opponent's C is meh on D then I would like to try the Cousins / AD combination.

We could play small ball and AD plays the C and Kuz at the PF spot but I don't know if AD will be happy at playing C. But yeah, Kuz coming off the bench would be best.
Jakay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,928

Post#4 » by Jakay » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:10 am

Just once, I want to see a lineup of James, Kuz, AD, Cousins, and McGee. Would be so interesting, because four of them can launch from deep, and most are pretty agile on D.

What a monstrous lineup though, like why wouldn't ya at least give it a look once.
Pythagoras
Analyst
And1: 3,282

Post#5 » by Pythagoras » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:23 am

LALifer49 wrote:I think Javale Mcgee is one of the more underrated signings of our offseason and is gonna have tremendous impact for us. He and AD have the potential to be a devastating defensive duo for us, both super long, athletic, great rim protectors. I think Kcp or Bradley and Green hounding perimeter guys, and AD/Mcgee holding down the paint could be one of the better defensive lineups in the league. That is a lineup that can play shut down defense and be terrors in transition.

I like McGee off the bench for 15-20 min/night but I’m not a big fan of him starting. Cousins is just the much more talented player, with way more upside. If Boogie really is healthy then he’ll be the starter no doubt. JaVale can still help us though, as long as he isn’t worried about his minutes this year and checks his ego.

As far as our ideal lineup?
I like:
LeBron
Danny Green
Kuzma
AD
Cousins
Numbers rule the universe.
SlimShady83
General Manager
And1: 1,175

Post#6 » by SlimShady83 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:44 am

He deserves the starting spot over anyone at least for the start of the season and see how he goes - Boogie will eventually take place IMO, but Mcgee should start
Bring back Defense
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,543

Post#7 » by stan francisco » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:51 pm

Jakay wrote:Just once, I want to see a lineup of James, Kuz, AD, Cousins, and McGee. Would be so interesting, because four of them can launch from deep, and most are pretty agile on D.

What a monstrous lineup though, like why wouldn't ya at least give it a look once.

I’m all for it, have suggested going huge in the past. AD plays and handles like a guard, could man the two spot.

Against the Clippers, I’d run the following to scare Doc out of his seat and make Kawhi react to us.

PG: Beverly vs Caruso (6’5”)
SG: Kawhi vs Anthony Davis (6’10”)
SF: George vs LeBron (6’8”)
PF: DMC (7’0”)
C: JMG or Pau Gasol (7’0”)

Avery Bradley can be a pest for Lou all night off the bench.

We win that series 4-2.
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
tv24lakers
Junior
And1: 96

Post#8 » by tv24lakers » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:50 pm

I would be content with JaVale performing at the level he did last year. If he is able to continue from last year's performance he will be a nice counterpart to AD.

As for Cousins, for the betterment of the team and his self interest I would advise he stay off the court until he is medically cleared and comfortable running at the team's pace. No need to risk another injury or further aggravate existing issues which could hamper both him and the team.

We would hit the jackpot if Cousins returns to 70% of his former self come playoff time.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#9 » by Kilroy » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:03 pm

Javale was tearing it up for the first part of the season, but then hit some sort of wall... Not sure if it was injury related or not because I wasn't paying close attention to the timeline, but he went from looking like the best player on the team, to losing minutes to Zubac...
So initially, I assumed he'd be our starting C, but now, after seeing Cousins and hearing that he's 100%, I'm not sure who will start, but I am glad we're not relying on either one too much... They need to load balance each other, so hopefully they're both fresh in the post season... If we could get them both down around 20 min a game during the season, I think it'd really help our post season chances a lot...
So that means we either need another C, or we're going to have to go small(er) for some Min... Either way works for me.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...

Return to Los Angeles Lakers