ImageImageImageImageImage

Best big for Lakers? (Howard or McGee)

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

With Boogie out, what center should the Lakers sign / trade for?

Kenneth Faried (FA)
16%
Nerlens Noel (trade)
8%
Dwight Howard (FA)
29%
Timofey Mozgov (FA)
2%
Marcin Gortat (FA)
8%
Amir Johnson (FA)
2%
Joakim Noah (FA)
26%
Tristan Thompson (trade)
3%
Other
6%

Total votes: 62

Beethoven
Head Coach
And1: 3,834

Re: Dwight Howard..... 

Post#41 » by Beethoven » Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:32 pm

**** no
Kobe Bryant forever
GO LAKERS
8-)
chefy
Head Coach
And1: 650

Post#42 » by chefy » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:01 pm

SOFT!
Landsberger
General Manager
And1: 1,969

Post#43 » by Landsberger » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:20 pm

Cousin's was one of my least favorite players in the league..... now I wish he wasn't hurt and ready to play....
myersia
Analyst
And1: 788

Post#44 » by myersia » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:43 pm

I’m not a Dwight fan. I hate that man. But you can’t say he’s not a perfect fit for our team. He literally fits what we want to do perfectly. He isn’t going to ruin chemistry because his ass could get waived quick. Lebron won’t let him slip up.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,983

Post#45 » by zimpy27 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:00 pm

Noah
Bogut
Mejri
Howard
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
tviper
Sixth Man
And1: 260

Post#46 » by tviper » Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:44 pm

Of course, nobody wants Dwight anywhere near the Lakers roster, but here is one scenario that I could see on Dec. 15th. Take on Dwight in order to get Iggy. Two separate trades for the money to work.

Trade 1
KCP $8,089,282
Cook $3,000,000
Daniels $1,620,564
Total $12,709,846
Total for trade $17,709,846
Iggy = $17,185,185

Trade 2
Cousins $3,500,000
Total for Trade $6,225,000
Dwight = $5,603,850

Memphis saves $5.5M, KCP gets more playing time and a 15% kicker, and Memphis takes on very little money in year 2 depending on whether KCP decides to exercise his PO. Lakers also have cash if necessary to get a deal done.
bb22
Starter
And1: 985

Post#47 » by bb22 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:21 pm

Already have 2 athletic centres in AD and JaVale. Don't see the point.
myersia
Analyst

Post#48 » by myersia » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:32 pm

Take the bias away. Dwight on this team would just need to be our garbage guy and clean up the garbage with boards and defense. On our previous team he was younger and thought he was a scoring punch. He knows he’s not that now. Also Lebron will pass him oops. I think he understands who he is now. You guys need to give him a chance. I hate him too but we are about winning. He fits perfectly with our team with McGee coming off the bench. He won’t have any pressure with Davis around.
Landsberger
General Manager

Post#49 » by Landsberger » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:35 pm

myersia wrote:I’m not a Dwight fan. I hate that man. But you can’t say he’s not a perfect fit for our team. He literally fits what we want to do perfectly. He isn’t going to ruin chemistry because his ass could get waived quick. Lebron won’t let him slip up.

He slipped up on Kobe's watch.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#50 » by Slava » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:40 pm

Oh **** off. I'd rather bring back Tarik Black.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
myersia
Analyst

Post#51 » by myersia » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:45 pm

Landsberger wrote:
myersia wrote:I’m not a Dwight fan. I hate that man. But you can’t say he’s not a perfect fit for our team. He literally fits what we want to do perfectly. He isn’t going to ruin chemistry because his ass could get waived quick. Lebron won’t let him slip up.

Dwight fits Lebrons style of leadership way more than Kobe. Don’t act like Kobe and Lebron have the same type of leadership. I’m a Kobe fan.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#52 » by zimpy27 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:49 pm

tviper wrote:Of course, nobody wants Dwight anywhere near the Lakers roster, but here is one scenario that I could see on Dec. 15th. Take on Dwight in order to get Iggy. Two separate trades for the money to work.

Trade 1
KCP $8,089,282
Cook $3,000,000
Daniels $1,620,564
Total $12,709,846
Total for trade $17,709,846
Iggy = $17,185,185

Trade 2
Cousins $3,500,000
Total for Trade $6,225,000
Dwight = $5,603,850

Memphis saves $5.5M, KCP gets more playing time and a 15% kicker, and Memphis takes on very little money in year 2 depending on whether KCP decides to exercise his PO. Lakers also have cash if necessary to get a deal done.

Trade 2 is a good option on paper. But that may not go down well, trading an injured player.

Trade 1 won't happen because of no trade clauses.

DMC + FRP for Dwight + SRP and Memphis let's Iggy go, and he signs for Lakers.

That would be an ideal scenario but would be stressful to pull off
jkokkotos
Sophomore
And1: 72

Re: Best big for Lakers? 

Post#53 » by jkokkotos » Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:14 pm

Faried's defense was like half-decent (nowhere near 'good') in 2017-18 with Brooklyn and he played 74% of his minutes that year as a PF according to Basketball Reference. Stop saying he's a decent defender, unless you project him to be our PF and use AD at the C (which beats the whole point of getting a C to protect/please AD to begin with). When used as a Center, he has been murdered on D. With Houston in 25 games playing as a Center, he was 5th percentile in Opponent's Pts/Poss, 1st percentile in Opponent's eFG%, 89th percentile in Opponent's TOV%, 6th percentile in Opponent's OREB% and 74th percentile (very good) in Opponent's FT Rate. He was rated rock-bottom in 3 of the 5 metrics that estimate a player's impact on team defense.

Also, we need to stop analyzing all these available names in terms of offense, because the guy we're getting is not coming here to be our #3/#4 scoring option anymore like Cousins would be (behind LBJ-AD-Kuzma & maybe even Green now). If we end up getting someone like Dwight & he can somehow average something like 12 ppg for us that's great & all but it shouldn't the focus of our search right now. Whoever is selected, will be preferred probably for his defense & rebounding (& durability) more than anything else. The marginal difference between Noah's limited offensive game and Faried's also limited offensive game will not make a difference for the Lakers. But Noah's superiority in Interior Defense & Rebounding just might, if it means we can find a lineup for Noah where we can play & utilize his strengths on D while only asking him to set screens & act as a tertiary playmaking option from the top of the key on offense.
It will be much tougher to play Faried at C & find a great "lineup-fit" for him, because it's much tougher to survive his minutes defensively at Center, and his lob-catching or put-back dunks won't help mitigate his defensive shortcomings enough, not unless he transforms into prime Josh Smith or something.
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 5,399

Re: Best big for Lakers? (update LA interested in Dwight) 

Post#54 » by Danny Darko » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:25 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#55 » by zimpy27 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:59 pm

jkokkotos wrote:Faried's defense was like half-decent (nowhere near 'good') in 2017-18 with Brooklyn and he played 74% of his minutes that year as a PF according to Basketball Reference. Stop saying he's a decent defender, unless you project him to be our PF and use AD at the C (which beats the whole point of getting a C to protect/please AD to begin with). When used as a Center, he has been murdered on D. With Houston in 25 games playing as a Center, he was 5th percentile in Opponent's Pts/Poss, 1st percentile in Opponent's eFG%, 89th percentile in Opponent's TOV%, 6th percentile in Opponent's OREB% and 74th percentile (very good) in Opponent's FT Rate. He was rated rock-bottom in 3 of the 5 metrics that estimate a player's impact on team defense.

Also, we need to stop analyzing all these available names in terms of offense, because the guy we're getting is not coming here to be our #3/#4 scoring option anymore like Cousins would be (behind LBJ-AD-Kuzma & maybe even Green now). If we end up getting someone like Dwight & he can somehow average something like 12 ppg for us that's great & all but it shouldn't the focus of our search right now. Whoever is selected, will be preferred probably for his defense & rebounding (& durability) more than anything else. The marginal difference between Noah's limited offensive game and Faried's also limited offensive game will not make a difference for the Lakers. But Noah's superiority in Interior Defense & Rebounding just might, if it means we can find a lineup for Noah where we can play & utilize his strengths on D while only asking him to set screens & act as a tertiary playmaking option from the top of the key on offense.
It will be much tougher to play Faried at C & find a great "lineup-fit" for him, because it's much tougher to survive his minutes defensively at Center, and his lob-catching or put-back dunks won't help mitigate his defensive shortcomings enough, not unless he transforms into prime Josh Smith or something.

Agreed. Noah is the right play because defense and some playmaking are the biggest needs without Cousins. Noah makes too much sense.

But if team is set on Dwight then an upside of trading for him is that Lakers can overpay for him in an agreement for Memphis to buyout Iggy. Therefore Lakers can add Iggy which is even better defense and playmaking.

Dwight has lost confidence and love for the game. If Lakers go for Dwight then they need to all get behind him and boost his energy up.
jkokkotos
Sophomore
And1: 72

Post#56 » by jkokkotos » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:05 pm

zimpy27 wrote:Agreed. Noah is the right play because defense and some playmaking are the biggest needs without Cousins. Noah makes too much sense.

But if team is set on Dwight then an upside of trading for him is that Lakers can overpay for him in an agreement for Memphis to buyout Iggy. Therefore Lakers can add Iggy which is even better defense and playmaking.

Dwight has lost confidence and love for the game. If Lakers go for Dwight then they need to all get behind him and boost his energy up.

Can we make a trade offer for Dwight? I thought we're out of 1st Round picks until 2026 or so & all of our guys just got signed to their current contracts thus can't be moved before December 15th? Who do we give up, if not the guys we signed during this summer? Kuzma I think not, at least certainly not unless it's a trade package for someone like Covington (#1 SF in DRPM for the last 3 years, 6'9'' forward averaging a combined 36.0% in 6.6 3P Attempts in the last 5 seasons) who can fill a big need & at the same time raise the team a level or two with his addition to the starting lineup. I read one of your posts where you included a 2020 1st Rounder, we still have the right to do that? I've been thinking off possible trade packages for a good wing defender but I wasn't getting anywhere so far because we don't have young talented guys on rookie-scale deals anymore.
KDSniper
Ballboy
And1: 5

Re: Best big for Lakers? (update LA interested in Dwight) 

Post#57 » by KDSniper » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:05 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#58 » by zimpy27 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:33 pm

jkokkotos wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:Agreed. Noah is the right play because defense and some playmaking are the biggest needs without Cousins. Noah makes too much sense.

Can we make a trade offer for Dwight? I thought we're out of 1st Round picks until 2026 or so & all of our guys just got signed to their current contracts thus can't be moved before December 15th? Who do we give up, if not the guys we signed during this summer? Kuzma I think not, at least certainly not unless it's a trade package for someone like Covington (#1 SF in DRPM for the last 3 years, 6'9'' forward averaging a combined 36.0% in 6.6 3P Attempts in the last 5 seasons) who can fill a big need & at the same time raise the team a level or two with his addition to the starting lineup. I read one of your posts where you included a 2020 1st Rounder, we still have the right to do that? I've been thinking off possible trade packages for a good wing defender but I wasn't getting anywhere so far because we don't have young talented guys on rookie-scale deals anymore.

I'm not so clear on that either. Lakers likely convey FRP in 2022, so they should be able to move pick in 2020 but maybe that may be blocked by the low possibility of a Lakers pick conveyance in 2021.

They have a 2023 SRP and THT. You can add that to DMC or Cook. Either is enough salary to get Dwight. Saves Memphis 2m. That's an extra 2m they can give Iggy on a buyout. Iggy goes to Lakers after buyout.

That's their best bet of getting a wing and C.
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,191

Post#59 » by LAKESHOW » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:44 pm

SlimShady83 wrote::noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway:

:wave: :wave:
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
Landsberger
General Manager

Post#60 » by Landsberger » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:48 pm

myersia wrote:
Landsberger wrote:

Dwight fits Lebrons style of leadership way more than Kobe. Don’t act like Kobe and Lebron have the same type of leadership. I’m a Kobe fan.

Leadership under the Kobe regime wasn't the problem.... Dwight was/is.

Dwight has had issues with teammates in Orlando, issues with Kobe in LA and has been moved around so many times I can't count. Truly valuable players don't have that done to them. He's the poster child for stats don't mean squat because.... he's squat.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers