ImageImageImageImageImage

Top 10 Lakers of All Time

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

Landsberger
General Manager
And1: 1,969

Re: Top 10 Lakers of All Time 

Post#21 » by Landsberger » Sat Oct 5, 2019 4:16 pm

"Rankings" are opinion based for the most part. Kobe was a far more dominant player in his prime than Magic. The best part of Magic's game was to get others in position to score. He wasn't much of a "closer" in games and had some issues in big playoff games early in his career. Kobe was a guy who could dominate both ends in his prime. Magic was never considered even an average defender. Magic is an all time great but if you switched them in the NBA timeline I think Kobe would be considered a few notches above Magic. Magic saved the NBA along with Bird. When we played in the finals in 80 it was tape delayed after the local news for 95% of the country...... think that through for a minute. Stanley Cup games were live in those days but the NBA playoffs weren't. Magic changed that and part of his popularity is based on that IMHO.

I would also add that if your looking at overall ratings of players longevity has to play in it. 20 years is huge when comparing it to 12 (not counting and trying to forget the 95 comeback). Both are unique talents but if you're looking for the best basketball player in all aspects it's Kobe between those 2 alone IMHO.

.... now If you include Kareem... I put him above both of them. Kobe, at 37 was in his last year and a shell of his prime.... Magic was out of the game..... Kareem was the finals MVP.
NPZ
Analyst
And1: 2,505

Post#22 » by NPZ » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:09 am

Wavy Q wrote:The youngest people who grew up watching Magic are like, in their 50's-60s now. Whether right or wrong this list will be Kobe dominant in 10-20 years.

Not quite 50. 43-45 is an acceptable cutoff for those who saw the end of Magic's career (not 96) in their early teens.
NPZ's Definitive Magic Johnson highlight reel

49, 50, 52, 53, 54, 72, 80, 82, 85, 87, 88, 00, 01, 02, 09, 10, 20
NPZ
Analyst

Post#23 » by NPZ » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:12 am

Landsberger wrote:"Rankings" are opinion based for the most part. Kobe was a far more dominant player in his prime than Magic. The best part of Magic's game was to get others in position to score. He wasn't much of a "closer" in games and had some issues in big playoff games early in his career.

Not even going to rank, but Magic isn't much of a closer is demonstrably incorrect. He's who they funneled the ball thru at the end of almost every game he ever played in and it wasn't just because he was the point guard. Kobe had numerous bad playoff games and I'm not just talking about the airball game as an 18 yr old (don't even have to count that one). Kobe has had bad Game 7s on his resume. Everyone has their right to opine however they want, but those claims sound like stuff that the Jordanite fans pull, if not the Celtic fans who put Larry over Magic. Jordan fans sound a lot like Kobe fans when you redact the players' names from their claims.

skeptic2020
Junior
And1: 134

Post#24 » by skeptic2020 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:04 pm

For top 5, I'd go Magic, Kareem, Shaq, Kobe and then West.
Landsberger
General Manager

Post#25 » by Landsberger » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:11 pm

NPZ wrote:
Landsberger wrote:"Rankings" are opinion based for the most part. Kobe was a far more dominant player in his prime than Magic. The best part of Magic's game was to get others in position to score. He wasn't much of a "closer" in games and had some issues in big playoff games early in his career.

Not even going to rank, but Magic isn't much of a closer is demonstrably incorrect.

This is demonstrably incorrect. I could list several huge playoff games where he was less than "Magic". It was Laker fans that gave I'm the moniker "Tragic".... not our opponents. He became the center of the offense in closing games after about 86 or so.

He hit a hook shot to seal a series. That gets a lot of play. 6 turnovers in the last 14 possessions along with dribbling the clock out in Boston on a massive collapse in 84 is the other side of that coin.

I sat in the stands from 81-86 for most of the home games throughout the playoffs. We could argue playoff series after playoff series if you'd like. The first 6 or so years we closed through Kareem primarily and then through Worthy and Magic.

This doesn't diminish why I think he's one of the all time greats but I will separate him from Kobe based on a couple things. Longevity, closing and playing both ends equally.
NPZ
Analyst

Post#26 » by NPZ » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:15 pm

Landsberger wrote:
NPZ wrote:

Not even going to rank, but Magic isn't much of a closer is demonstrably incorrect.

This is demonstrably incorrect. I could list several huge playoff games where he was less than "Magic". It was Laker fans that gave I'm the moniker "Tragic".... not our opponents. He became the center of the offense in closing games after about 86 or so.

He hit a hook shot to seal a series. That gets a lot of play. 6 turnovers in the last 14 possessions along with dribbling the clock out in Boston on a massive collapse in 84 is the other side of that coin.

I sat in the stands from 81-86 for most of the home games throughout the playoffs. We could argue playoff series after playoff series if you'd like. The first 6 or so years we closed through Kareem primarily and then through Worthy and Magic.

This doesn't diminish why I think he's one of the all time greats but I will separate him from Kobe based on a couple things. Longevity, closing and playing both ends equally.

I'm talking holistically, not because Magic made a couple of bad turnovers in 84. His entire career, bro. You're trying to use 2 turnovers in 84 (the origin of Tragic) as a way of claiming Kobe was the better Laker. That's Kobe who has choked just the same in big games. It's phony and you don't need to do that if you wanna just claim Kobe is #1. Just claim that sans all that Tragic BS.

skeptic2020
Junior
And1: 134

Post#27 » by skeptic2020 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:34 pm

Landsberger wrote:
NPZ wrote:

Magic had some value on defense since he did two things well that helped win games. Rebound the ball and steal the ball. Kobe locked in for sure the better defender 20 ft from the hoop.
Landsberger
General Manager

Post#28 » by Landsberger » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:03 am

skeptic2020 wrote:
Landsberger wrote:
NPZ wrote:

Magic had some value on defense since he did two things well that helped win games. Rebound the ball and steal the ball. Kobe locked in for sure the better defender 20 ft from the hoop.

This is what I hate about getting into these discussions. It seems that discussing a difference in the two is seen as saying one sucks and the other ones is great to some people. Pretty clear to me that Kobe was much more valuable on both ends but also clear that Magic is one of the greatest ever overall.

Magic, in the context of his era was in cross matchups his entire career. He was typically put on the opposing team's SF because he wasn't a good matchup for most guards in that day and age. Also, it was to keep him fresh for transition and put him in a better position to rebound. Kobe was a very good defender in his era and for 7-10 years a top 3 player on both ends.
Landsberger
General Manager

Post#29 » by Landsberger » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:12 am

NPZ wrote:
Landsberger wrote:
NPZ wrote:

I'm talking holistically, not because Magic made a couple of bad turnovers in 84. His entire career, bro. You're trying to use 2 turnovers in 84 (the origin of Tragic) as a way of claiming Kobe was the better Laker. That's Kobe who has choked just the same in big games. It's phony and you don't need to do that if you wanna just claim Kobe is #1. Just claim that sans all that Tragic BS.

Well... when you're 0-8 against that team and up a game with a 20+ point lead in the second half of game 2 on the road and you essentially throw the game away it's not a little thing. It was 6 turnovers btw....dribbling out the clock wasn't considered a TO. That wasn't the only time early in his career where he had his issues. That's why the "hook" was such a big shot for him. It was a "passing the torch" moment for him. He became more of a leader down the stretch in games as Kareem began to fade. In the teams before that the team essentially started with Kareem... ran, ran, ran... in the middle then finished with Kareem.

Sure Kobe's had issues but overall Kobe was a closer more so than Magic. That is for a number of reasons not the least of which is having a one of the most complete offensive games ever. When you have more arrows in the quiver you will be more effective. Not that hard to deduce.

As for overall greatest "Laker" he's probably 3rd for me behind Kareem, Kobe and then Magic but the distance between them is very close. If we bounce Kareem because he wasn't drafted by the Lakers then it's Kobe and Magic.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers