ImageImageImageImageImage

Did the Lakers build a lineup around AD or LeBron?

Moderators: Danny Darko, Kilroy, TyCobb

zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,504

Did the Lakers build a lineup around AD or LeBron? 

Post#1 » by zimpy27 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:18 pm

I thought I'd try to speculate the ideal lineup for both LeBron and AD individually and it turns out that the Lakers did a very good job for both:

Ideal team to build around LeBron James
2nd superstar with some playmaking but primarily a player that can get buckets when called upon.
Ideal - Kawhi/Durant/Davis/Harden/Giannis/Curry
The C with the best +/- with LeBron was TT, this is mainly because of offensive rebounding. Instinctively one may imagine a 3 shooting C is best but that would keep them away from the ring for putbacks, boards and alley-oops.
Ideal - Gobert/Nurkic/Capela/Drummond/Howard(from 2 years ago)
2 x 3+D players to shoot 3s and defend opponents best or second-best player as a wing or a guard
Ideal - Klay/Porter/Covington/Green/Beverley/J Rich/Brogdon/ Caruso

Ideal team to build around Anthony Davis
2nd superstar that can be prime ball handler and make plays.
Ideal - LeBron/Harden/Curry/Lillard/Westbrook/Irving
The C that ideal for Davis is actually a defensive C and offensive rebounder, the Pelicans never made the most of ADs defensive talents, to bring these out you need a defensive under the basket C so that AD can help defend and cover the midrange area. Now that AD is developing playmaking and a perimeter game, the C should be able to make putbacks, boards and alley-oops.
Ideal - Gobert/Nurkic/Noel/Ed Davis/ Howard(from 2 years ago)
A 3+D wing to shoot 3s and defend opponents best or second-best player.
Ideal - Klay/Porter/Covington/Green
A 3 and D Guard with playmaking skills to work with AD when 2nd superstar is on the bench
Ideal - CP3/Bledsoe/Lowry/Conley/White

It is interesting how similarly suited the needs for LeBron and Davis were. Green and Howard are good fits for both AD and LeBron, but Green and Howard both need to be as good as they have been even though they are older. Caruso works with LeBron but needs more playmaking skills to be Ideal for AD.

I would say the team currently suits LeBron better but only because Lakers don't have a 3+D PG that can lead an offense when LeBron sits.

THis was my speculation, do you think this team suits LeBron or AD better?
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
tamaraw08
Analyst
And1: 1,235

Re: Did the Lakers build a lineup around AD or LeBron? 

Post#2 » by tamaraw08 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:01 pm

zimpy27 wrote:I thought I'd try to speculate the ideal lineup for both LeBron and AD individually and it turns out that the Lakers did a very good job for both:

The C that ideal for Davis is actually a defensive C and offensive rebounder, the Pelicans never made the most of ADs defensive talents, to bring these out you need a defensive under the basket C so that AD can help defend and cover the midrange area. Now that AD is developing playmaking and a perimeter game, the C should be able to make putbacks, boards and alley-oops.
A 3 and D Guard with playmaking skills to work with AD when 2nd superstar is on the bench

It is interesting how similarly suited the needs for LeBron and Davis were. Green and Howard are good fits for both AD and LeBron, but Green and Howard both need to be as good as they have been even though they are older. Caruso works with LeBron but needs more playmaking skills to be Ideal for AD.

I would say the team currently suits LeBron better but only because Lakers don't have a 3+D PG that can lead an offense when LeBron sits.

I think Pat Beverley would have been a PERFECT PG for Both.
but based on 2 years, AD has been most productive next to a shooting big like Mirotic.
Last year-+6.5 pts with a 2 man combo with Nikola, add Holiday (replaced by Lebron playing D) +10.4 pts, Add Moore (replaced by Green)+12
https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/d/davisan02/lineups/2018
2 years ago, with Just Mirotic, playoffs, + 3.1pts, regular- +11.5, Add Holiday +9.3, add with Moore and Rondo- +22.8pts,
a 4-man combo of AD, Mirotic, Holiday and Moore yielded a +6.2 pts,
I was hoping Kuzma's improved stroke that he can somewhat mimic Mirotic on offense but the problem too is that Nikola is 6-10 250 lbs while Kyle in a smaller 6-9 and only listed at 220 lbs. If he can add 15 lbs of pure muscle on his arms, shoulders and thighs, he would not be overmatched inside. AD made it clear he wants to preserve his body and not bang with bigs. Spacing is also very important bec he cuts from the outside and get those alley-oops and it'll be hard with Dwight clogging the middle
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#3 » by zimpy27 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:36 pm

tamaraw08 wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:I thought I'd try to speculate the ideal lineup for both LeBron and AD individually and it turns out that the Lakers did a very good job for both:

I think Pat Beverley would have been a PERFECT PG for Both.
but based on 2 years, AD has been most productive next to a shooting big like Mirotic.
Last year-+6.5 pts with a 2 man combo with Nikola, add Holiday (replaced by Lebron playing D) +10.4 pts, Add Moore (replaced by Green)+12
https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/d/davisan02/lineups/2018
2 years ago, with Just Mirotic, playoffs, + 3.1pts, regular- +11.5, Add Holiday +9.3, add with Moore and Rondo- +22.8pts,
a 4-man combo of AD, Mirotic, Holiday and Moore yielded a +6.2 pts,
I was hoping Kuzma's improved stroke that he can somewhat mimic Mirotic on offense but the problem too is that Nikola is 6-10 250 lbs while Kyle in a smaller 6-9 and only listed at 220 lbs. If he can add 15 lbs of pure muscle on his arms, shoulders and thighs, he would not be overmatched inside. AD made it clear he wants to preserve his body and not bang with bigs. Spacing is also very important bec he cuts from the outside and get those alley-oops and it'll be hard with Dwight clogging the middle

Yes AD would be better with Kuzma, but that's fine because he comes off the bench and can make that happen during the playoffs much more.
AD wants to be PF, the best way to commit to that is to get a defensive C.AD has never had that and the pelicans have never been a great defensive team because of it, even though they had Jrue and AD.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,538

Post#4 » by stan francisco » Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:23 pm

PG: James
SG: Green
SF: Kuzma
PF: Davis
C: McGee

It’s built for both. Go huge, Frank!
PG: D Lo / Reaves / Vincent(IL) / JHS
SG: Christie / Dinwiddie / Lewis / Mays
SF: LBJ / Prince / Reddish / Windler
PF: Rui / Vando(IL) / LBJ
CTR: AD / Hayes / Wood

Modern era NBA titles:
LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4
Landsberger
General Manager
And1: 1,969

Post#5 » by Landsberger » Sun Sep 1, 2019 5:49 pm

I'd say they "built" a team out of what was available..... had they had a clean slate I'm not sure a lot of these guys would be here quite frankly.
what would jack bauer do?
Veteran
And1: 295

Post#6 » by what would jack bauer do? » Sun Sep 1, 2019 7:30 pm

Just judging from AD's summer workout videos it looks like his intention is to become a primary facilitator. I'd say he wants the ball in his hands a lot and to create for others. In a perfect world he'll land somewhere between a Pau Gasol and Giannis. But really this seems like new ground for AD.

I'd say the roster is definitely built to cater both guys. With the bigs to defend against other centers and a focus on getting AD the ball. Also with perimeter defense and shooting to help Lebron, the roster just seems primed to play winning team basketball.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#7 » by zimpy27 » Sun Sep 1, 2019 7:38 pm

Landsberger wrote:I'd say they "built" a team out of what was available..... had they had a clean slate I'm not sure a lot of these guys would be here quite frankly.

Yes this is true but there were a few players waiting in the wings to see what happened with Kawhi because Lakers had extended offers depending on that outcome.

If the additions were 3 years younger then it would be close to the perfect team for AD and LeBron.
Landsberger
General Manager

Post#8 » by Landsberger » Sun Sep 1, 2019 8:09 pm

zimpy27 wrote:
Landsberger wrote:I'd say they "built" a team out of what was available..... had they had a clean slate I'm not sure a lot of these guys would be here quite frankly.

Yes this is true but there were a few players waiting in the wings to see what happened with Kawhi because Lakers had extended offers depending on that outcome.

If the additions were 3 years younger then it would be close to the perfect team for AD and LeBron.

My thoughts on the roster is that few of the additions beyond Davis seem to favor one of them over the other. They are role players for the most part and my guess is that they will fit in well if they are not asked to do too much.

My biggest complaint is spending on KCP. He's shown he doesn't fit with any team who's serious IMHO. He's a "shooter" that shoots 40% and a "defender" that seems bolted to the floor at the point. I'm sure for the $$ someone fits better than he does. Well.... I'll answer your question here.... KCP fits Bron better... for non-basketball reasons.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#9 » by zimpy27 » Sun Sep 1, 2019 9:50 pm

Landsberger wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:

My thoughts on the roster is that few of the additions beyond Davis seem to favor one of them over the other. They are role players for the most part and my guess is that they will fit in well if they are not asked to do too much.

My biggest complaint is spending on KCP. He's shown he doesn't fit with any team who's serious IMHO. He's a "shooter" that shoots 40% and a "defender" that seems bolted to the floor at the point. I'm sure for the $$ someone fits better than he does. Well.... I'll answer your question here.... KCP fits Bron better... for non-basketball reasons.

KCP is an interesting situation. He's a role player but I never saw Walton give him a role. He's young and was developing and then stalled as soon as he arrived on the Lakers under Walton and I believe that's because Ingram was prioritized. But also, KCP is the sort of player that needs a strong defensive frontcourt to be effective. He's a pest defender on the perimeter, he pressures but that's a defensive gamble based on your support so it makes him look bad.

Yes KCP was how Klutch got to see the inside of the Lakers and to help scout for LeBron and probably AD. This is a way to pay him back for that, but I also believe this contract good be a decent one considering his age, athleticism and shooting ability with an updated front court.

KCP and Bradley are the boom and bust for the Lakers, both defend in a similar way and so it's crucial that the Davis and Howard/McGee pairing is formidable enough to take advantage of that. Beverly is similar, albeit a little smarter, you can see how much better he played with Zubac than Gortat, it was a +10 swing. That defensive C is crucial for defenders like this to show effective impact metrics because it's tied to their style.

5 mins: Bradley, Green, LeBron, AD, Howard
7 mins: Caruso, Green, LeBron, Kuzma, McGee
5 mins: Caruso, KCP, LeBron, AD, McGee
7 mins: Bradley, KCP, Kuzma, AD, Howard
7 mins: Caruso, Green, LeBron, Kuzma, AD
7 mins: Bradley, Green, LeBron, Kuzma, AD
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,538

Post#10 » by stan francisco » Mon Sep 2, 2019 12:08 am

what would jack bauer do? wrote:Just judging from AD's summer workout videos it looks like his intention is to become a primary facilitator. I'd say he wants the ball in his hands a lot and to create for others. In a perfect world he'll land somewhere between a Pau Gasol and Giannis. But really this seems like new ground for AD.

I'd say the roster is definitely built to cater both guys. With the bigs to defend against other centers and a focus on getting AD the ball. Also with perimeter defense and shooting to help Lebron, the roster just seems primed to play winning team basketball.

I think he wants to play a guard like perimeter role, and I don’t mind at all if AD handles the ball a lot. He’s got all the skill and the eye to do that just fine. I’d welcome it for stretches. Good luck guarding that. Long term, I’d be worried about wearing out his knees too much on the wing.

He and LeBron might be the only two players in the league to truly be able to play any position from 1-5 at starters level sufficiency.
PG: D Lo / Reaves / Vincent(IL) / JHS
SG: Christie / Dinwiddie / Lewis / Mays
SF: LBJ / Prince / Reddish / Windler
PF: Rui / Vando(IL) / LBJ
CTR: AD / Hayes / Wood

Modern era NBA titles:
LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4
Landsberger
General Manager

Post#11 » by Landsberger » Mon Sep 2, 2019 4:43 pm

zimpy27 wrote:
Landsberger wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:Yes this is true but there were a few players waiting in the wings to see what happened with Kawhi because Lakers had extended offers depending on that outcome.

KCP is an interesting situation. He's a role player but I never saw Walton give him a role. He's young and was developing and then stalled as soon as he arrived on the Lakers under Walton and I believe that's because Ingram was prioritized. But also, KCP is the sort of player that needs a strong defensive frontcourt to be effective. He's a pest defender on the perimeter, he pressures but that's a defensive gamble based on your support so it makes him look bad.

Yes KCP was how Klutch got to see the inside of the Lakers and to help scout for LeBron and probably AD. This is a way to pay him back for that, but I also believe this contract good be a decent one considering his age, athleticism and shooting ability with an updated front court.

KCP and Bradley are the boom and bust for the Lakers, both defend in a similar way and so it's crucial that the Davis and Howard/McGee pairing is formidable enough to take advantage of that. Beverly is similar, albeit a little smarter, you can see how much better he played with Zubac than Gortat, it was a +10 swing. That defensive C is crucial for defenders like this to show effective impact metrics because it's tied to their style.

7 mins: Caruso, Green, LeBron, Kuzma, McGee
7 mins: Bradley, KCP, Kuzma, AD, Howard

Hopefully the best thing about his contract is it's value in a trade that helps us. I think Bradley can bring us everything KCP does.

Unless there is a significant improvement in consistency I think he's easily the best trade piece we have at the deadline.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#12 » by zimpy27 » Mon Sep 2, 2019 7:32 pm

Landsberger wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:
Landsberger wrote:

7 mins: Caruso, KCP, LeBron, Kuzma, McGee
7 mins: Bradley, Green, Kuzma, AD, Howard

Hopefully the best thing about his contract is it's value in a trade that helps us. I think Bradley can bring us everything KCP does.

Unless there is a significant improvement in consistency I think he's easily the best trade piece we have at the deadline.

KCP has an NTC, which means Cook at 3m and Bradley at 4.7m are the best trade pieces unless KCP agrees to be moved because of lack of playing time.

I think KCP will surprise you, he's had a better RPM than Bradley every season for the past 5.
Landsberger
General Manager

Post#13 » by Landsberger » Mon Sep 2, 2019 8:01 pm

zimpy27 wrote:
Landsberger wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:

7 mins: Caruso, KCP, LeBron, Kuzma, McGee
7 mins: Bradley, Green, Kuzma, AD, Howard

KCP has an NTC, which means Cook at 3m and Bradley at 4.7m are the best trade pieces unless KCP agrees to be moved because of lack of playing time.

I think KCP will surprise you, he's had a better RPM than Bradley every season for the past 5.

Oh... yeah... forgot about that. We've given NTC to Kobe and KCP in the last decade.....

While LeBron the player is a unique talent the cronyism with the guy and "his guys" is at an all time great level.

We'll see who's surprised by KCP. Even though I do analytics for a living I'm not much on NBA analytics.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#14 » by zimpy27 » Mon Sep 2, 2019 8:15 pm

Landsberger wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:
Landsberger wrote:

Oh... yeah... forgot about that. We've given NTC to Kobe and KCP in the last decade.....

While LeBron the player is a unique talent the cronyism with the guy and "his guys" is at an all time great level.

We'll see who's surprised by KCP. Even though I do analytics for a living I'm not much on NBA analytics.

Oh yes the data is flawed but it's a reason to be hopeful.
tamaraw08
Analyst

Post#15 » by tamaraw08 » Tue Sep 3, 2019 3:41 pm

Landsberger wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:
Landsberger wrote:

Here we go again with KCP, :-? last year,From bbreference, just for the Lakers roster he ranked 18th in DBPM and 19th in DRTG (YES including scrubs) but ok fine, some fans don't like those advanced stats and would prefer ESPN'S RPM/DRPM ETC ,Last season he had a -2.17 ranked 95th out of 107 SGs in DRPM. 2 years ago, -0.32 and 16-17 with a -1.31. KCP greatly benefited for being the best FT shooter and therefore became the designated freebie shooter for every technical foul-shot the opposing team was assessed (when he's on the court) therefore skewed his TS%-RPM.

As I explained before, KCP's shooting % is pretty deceptive, as does badly by Jan/Feb (when the team was riddled with injuries at 31.6% and always going up by March above 37%, during garbage time. At least Daniels,Caruso Cook have a high career % from the 3pt area...but I just don't see a specific role for this guy except that he's 6-5, tall enough to put a hand on real SG's, another poster said he's a pretty good catch and shoot shooter, my response was if you need one, I'll rather use Cook who shot 49% than him who shot 36%. But let me say again, I would be ecstatic if he he proves me wrong this coming season.
tamaraw08
Analyst

Post#16 » by tamaraw08 » Fri Sep 6, 2019 9:58 pm

Freaking Boston fanatic writer recently clowns the Lakers roster. :nonono:
His hatred for the purple and gold was manifested whereas showing on the podcast of ESPN’s Zach Lowe. During his look, he made mild of the Lakers roster and the fascinating solid of characters all through the lineup.

“Like, go look at that Lakers roster…It looks like my 11-year-old just picked players on 2K and threw them on a roster together,” Simmons mentioned. “There is no rhyme or reason to it.”

I guess he doesn't know that Lebron's past teams were always top 5 in ORTG when he has accurate shooters around him and YES even AFTER Kyrie was traded. That you just replace Love with Davis and have a much better defender and shooter like Danny Green instead of crazy. Yes, they have players who have other weaknesses like Cook can shoot but can't defend and play-make. Rondo can set up the offense and pass but can't shoot and defend but the main weaknesses of 3pt and FT shooting have been have been addressed. They also acquire Bradley who was a solid defender 2 years ago. McGee has been pretty good for 15-20 minutes esp blocking shots etc.
Meanwhile Boston lost 2 very good PGs and replaced them with a less efficient guard.
tamaraw08
Analyst

Post#17 » by tamaraw08 » Fri Sep 6, 2019 9:58 pm

tamaraw08 wrote:Freaking Boston fanatic writer recently clowns the Lakers roster. :nonono:
His hatred for the purple and gold was manifested whereas showing on the podcast of ESPN’s Zach Lowe. During his look, he made mild of the Lakers roster and the fascinating solid of characters all through the lineup.

“Like, go look at that Lakers roster…It looks like my 11-year-old just picked players on 2K and threw them on a roster together,” Simmons mentioned. “There is no rhyme or reason to it.”

I guess he doesn't know that Lebron's past teams were always top 5 in ORTG when he has accurate shooters around him and YES even AFTER Kyrie was traded. That you just replace Love with Davis and have a much better defender and shooter like Danny Green instead of crazy. Yes, they have players who have other weaknesses like Cook can shoot but can't defend and play-make. Rondo can set up the offense and pass but can't shoot and defend but the main weaknesses of 3pt and FT shooting have been have been addressed. They also acquire Bradley who was a solid defender 2 years ago. McGee has been pretty good for 15-20 minutes esp blocking shots etc.
Meanwhile Boston lost 2 very good PGs and replaced them with a less efficient guard.

https://holykey1.com/bill-simmons-clowns-lakers-roster-for-being-a-mess-listen/
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#18 » by zimpy27 » Mon Sep 9, 2019 2:10 am

tamaraw08 wrote:Freaking Boston fanatic writer recently clowns the Lakers roster. :nonono:

Based on my analysis in the OP I think Simmons is very wrong. The team around LeBron and AD is actually very well made if a few years ago, the only question mark is whether Howard and Bradley can recapture their games.

Defensively I think Lakers could be the best in the league. You have Howard and AD, which means Avery and KCP actually become good defenders because of the pressuring/high-risk way they go about it (they can afford to risk it with the frontcourt protection).

You have Danny green which is a top 5 role player to pair with LeBron and AD.

You have Caruso that was an ideal 3 and D PG last year.

And Kuzma that can perhaps be a Mitotic level player off the bench.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers