ImageImageImageImageImage

will kuzma be an all star for lakers or just a good role player?

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Re: will kuzma be an all star for lakers or just a good role player? 

Post#161 » by Kilroy » Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:16 am

Landsberger wrote:So... after a rough start he seems to be rounding into shape. Still only 23 minutes a game but his shooting % are ahead of last year across the board. Per 36, which is not that great of a stat, is showing he's off to his best start... at least in that stat.

Where I'd like to see him concentrate is on taking more 2 pointers than 3 pointers. Unlike a lot of "stretch" 4's he shoots very well inside the arc. This year he's clipping along at nearly 60% inside the arc. Last year he was at 55%. If he gets back to the 30 minute area he should track at or over his 18 points from last year. For those who view the entire NBA through the 3 pointer, he's shooting at about 50% over the last 4 from that distance... so I'd say this very small sample is showing he's getting comfortable there as well.

I still say his defense is improved and especially so in the scheme. Not sure we had scheme previously but that's for another thread.

Between Davis and LeBron, (and McGee and Howard, and slashing Caruso and Kcp) we have all the inside the arch scoring we need... Granted, on the second unit, we need just general scoring, but I feel like we need Kuzma to be deadly from behind the arch first and and a cutter or pick and pop guy second.
He has a role to fill and sometimes that's not going to be what's best for him personally... And therein lies the biggest question with Kuz... CAN he be what this team needs from him. So far it's looking positive.
I also think the more his 3pt shot falls, the better his inside game will become, just because the floor will be more open and he'll be more confident.

I'd personally still like to see him working on D as a secondary focus to 3pt shooting... He's still got some big holes in that side of his game. He always looks like he's about to get twisted up on man D, but it's better.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
Landsberger
General Manager
And1: 1,969

Post#162 » by Landsberger » Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:28 am

Kilroy wrote:
Landsberger wrote:So... after a rough start he seems to be rounding into shape. Still only 23 minutes a game but his shooting % are ahead of last year across the board. Per 36, which is not that great of a stat, is showing he's off to his best start... at least in that stat.

Where I'd like to see him concentrate is on taking more 2 pointers than 3 pointers. Unlike a lot of "stretch" 4's he shoots very well inside the arc. This year he's clipping along at nearly 60% inside the arc. Last year he was at 55%. If he gets back to the 30 minute area he should track at or over his 18 points from last year. For those who view the entire NBA through the 3 pointer, he's shooting at about 50% over the last 4 from that distance... so I'd say this very small sample is showing he's getting comfortable there as well.

I still say his defense is improved and especially so in the scheme. Not sure we had scheme previously but that's for another thread.

Between Davis and LeBron, (and McGee and Howard, and slashing Caruso and Kcp) we have all the inside the arch scoring we need... Granted, on the second unit, we need just general scoring, but I feel like we need Kuzma to be deadly from behind the arch first and and a cutter or pick and pop guy second.
He has a role to fill and sometimes that's not going to be what's best for him personally... And therein lies the biggest question with Kuz... CAN he be what this team needs from him. So far it's looking positive.
I also think the more his 3pt shot falls, the better his inside game will become, just because the floor will be more open and he'll be more confident.

I'd personally still like to see him working on D as a secondary focus to 3pt shooting... He's still got some big holes in that side of his game. He always looks like he's about to get twisted up on man D, but it's better.

Depends on the mix on the floor. If it's Bron, Kuz and Howard I'd want Kuz to get some opportunities other than just 3's. I'm wouldn't prioritize anything from KCP or Caruso offensively before Kuzma. If Davis is in the game I'd be with you. So far I'm not sure what to make of Davis' game. I know he's pushing through nagging injuries but he's not that strong in the paint it seems. To Kuz.. he will need to find his way for sure. You can see him struggle knowing if he should cut off the ball or just sit in the corner when Bron has the ball. Gonna take a while there.

Defensively he's at least understanding the scheme and is in position. He's never going to be a tough post defender but he's holding his own better than last year. The bouncing thing you called out is interesting. I scanned back through the last couple games on my DVR and it's there 90% of the time with the other 10% being winded. :lol: In scanning those games I only saw a couple complete defensive mistakes from him. No more than Caruso or KCP or even Green for that matter. In fact Green's on the ball defense is good but in the scheme he's getting lost on shooters more than anyone. It's early.... we're 11-2 and have the largest margin in the NBA when I step back and look at it overall. Soooooo.... much better than the last 5 years it's not funny.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,977

Post#163 » by zimpy27 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:28 pm

Kuzma has a 65% ts% over his last 6 games.

He's ranked 20th in the league for ts% over the last 6 game period for guys playing at least 20mpg.

12th in the league for ts% if you don't include Centers.

He's doing it while averaging 1 fga for every 2 minutes played.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
NBAWestFan
Bench Warmer
And1: 122

Post#164 » by NBAWestFan » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:14 pm

The Laker are good enough to beat some pretty good teams.

Kuzma is still young and not a 3rd star.
He is a role player like a Lou Will

What the Lakers should focus on is Iggy?

Right now the Lakers are not going to beat the Clippers in a 7 game series.

But with Iggy I think the chances go up alot.
NippySudz
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,460

Post#165 » by NippySudz » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:16 pm

NBAWestFan wrote:The Laker are good enough to beat some pretty good teams.

I like the clippers as the favorite but that being said clippers still have a lot to figure out offensively. Lakers seem like they are clicking on all cylinders with ad and LeBron. Kuz is coming along. He's not at potent as Lou will but still.

Right now, the Lakers looking like the better team but the clippers are a work in progress offensively.

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,191

Post#166 » by LAKESHOW » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:13 pm

As ive mentioned before, the clippers defense will be the strongest we will face. Which is why we must diversify our attack. And Kuz and others must knock down shots. During the First game of the year, our shooters were not ready.
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
nzahir
RealGM
And1: 4,658

Post#167 » by nzahir » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:33 pm

LAKESHOW wrote:As ive mentioned before, the clippers defense will be the strongest we will face. Which is why we must diversify our attack. And Kuz and others must knock down shots. During the First game of the year, our shooters were not ready.

Green was ready, but thats it

Too much iso posting on AD, we should do it at times but not overkill. Not enough Lebron taking over and pick and roll with AD

Nor were Dwight or Mcgee ready

I still do worry a lot when Lebron sits, I don't think Rondo is the answer
LAKESHOW
RealGM

Post#168 » by LAKESHOW » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:51 pm

Which is why i believe we should go out and get Iggy. Then we matchup defenses vs defenses. Late in last nights game, i seen Doc move beverley around, and makes defensive personnel switches often. Taking out the celtics hot shooter. But with Iggy, Doc cant make defensive personnel switches, moving from bron, iggy, Kuz, Davis, etc...we will have too many variations of our offensive attack. Along with the defensive length iggy brings, my vote would be to make a move to Aquire him.
NippySudz
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,460

Post#169 » by NippySudz » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:54 pm

LAKESHOW wrote:Which is why i believe we should go out and get Iggy. Then we matchup defenses vs defenses. Late in last nights game, i seen Doc move beverley around, and makes defensive personnel switches often. Taking out the celtics hot shooter. But with Iggy, Doc cant make defensive personnel switches, moving from bron, iggy, Kuz, Davis, etc...we will have too many variations of our offensive attack. Along with the defensive length iggy brings, my vote would be to make a move to Aquire him.
I'm a casual NBA fan. I don't know x's and O's too well but what I'm seeing is whenever LeBron is out, the offense doesn't run as smoothly. If the clips can neutralize LeBron(and that's a tough task) then they've won half the battle

That being said it's still very early. Trades can be made, guys can start to feel more comfortable in their roles, etc

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk
Landsberger
General Manager
And1: 1,969

Post#170 » by Landsberger » Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:12 am

Guys the legend of Iggy is much different than the Iggy these days. He's not the answer to our "problems".... And I mean problems in that we have the best record in the NBA and the best point differential.
LAKESHOW
RealGM

Post#171 » by LAKESHOW » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:01 am

Well... Iggy 1st day would be our best back court defender.
snaquille oatmeal
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,763

Post#172 » by snaquille oatmeal » Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:17 pm

NBAWestFan wrote:The Laker are good enough to beat some pretty good teams.

How can we focus on Iggy when we don’t know where he is. Is he in Memphis? The Bay Area? LA? Where does he live? Maybe we should try social media.
Forum permissions