ImageImageImageImageImage

will kuzma be an all star for lakers or just a good role player?

Moderators: Danny Darko, TyCobb, Kilroy

stan francisco
Analyst
Posts: 3,354
And1: 873
Joined: Oct 20, 2015
 

Re: will kuzma be an all star for lakers or just a good role player? 

Post#181 » by stan francisco » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:32 am

Kuzma will deliver. Everyone needs to chill. Let’s revisit by ASB. Nobody here will want to trade him.

He’s still a pup. Nine new players. No training camp. New coaches, new system. Not even in full game shape yet.

I’d guess he’ll catch fire sometime before the Christmas game. That’s a big game. Kuz is a big moment player...
2019-20
PG: James16, Caruso20, Bradley4, Rondo4, Norvell4
SG: Green24, Pope10, Bradley8, Daniels4, Cook2
SF: Kuzma22, James16, THT6, Caroline4
PF: Davis32, Kuzma10, Cacok4, Dudley2
C: McGee22, Howard22, Davis2, Antetokounmpo2
NippySudz
Junior
Posts: 332
And1: 121
Joined: Jul 08, 2019

Re: will kuzma be an all star for lakers or just a good role player? 

Post#182 » by NippySudz » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:39 am

stan francisco wrote:Kuzma will deliver. Everyone needs to chill. Let’s revisit by ASB. Nobody here will want to trade him.

He’s still a pup. Nine new players. No training camp. New coaches, new system. Not even in full game shape yet.

I’d guess he’ll catch fire sometime before the Christmas game. That’s a big game. Kuz is a big moment player...
It's about consistency, not about moments. Corey Brewer has caught fire a few times even had a 50 point game before.

I don't say that to say kuzma is trash. I say it to say kuzma is overrated by his fans. He's only overrated because hes a Laker. If he avg 17pts on %45pct shooting on the phx suns, people wouldn't even know who he was.

Wouldn't mean hes trash but he wouldn't get the star label attached to him by some fans or being called to be potentially part of a big three by media members like Jalen rose.

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk
stan francisco
Analyst
Posts: 3,354
And1: 873
Joined: Oct 20, 2015
 

Re: will kuzma be an all star for lakers or just a good role player? 

Post#183 » by stan francisco » Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:09 am

NippySudz wrote:
stan francisco wrote:Kuzma will deliver. Everyone needs to chill. Let’s revisit by ASB. Nobody here will want to trade him.

He’s still a pup. Nine new players. No training camp. New coaches, new system. Not even in full game shape yet.

I’d guess he’ll catch fire sometime before the Christmas game. That’s a big game. Kuz is a big moment player...
It's about consistency, not about moments. Corey Brewer has caught fire a few times even had a 50 point game before.

I don't say that to say kuzma is trash. I say it to say kuzma is overrated by his fans. He's only overrated because hes a Laker. If he avg 17pts on %45pct shooting on the phx suns, people wouldn't even know who he was.

Wouldn't mean hes trash but he wouldn't get the star label attached to him by some fans or being called to be potentially part of a big three by media members like Jalen rose.

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk



Yeah, let’s revisit when it’s ready to revisit, when he fully has his legs under him, is used to the system. Looking forward to when he starts putting all the doubt to rest.
2019-20
PG: James16, Caruso20, Bradley4, Rondo4, Norvell4
SG: Green24, Pope10, Bradley8, Daniels4, Cook2
SF: Kuzma22, James16, THT6, Caroline4
PF: Davis32, Kuzma10, Cacok4, Dudley2
C: McGee22, Howard22, Davis2, Antetokounmpo2
Landsberger
Head Coach
Posts: 7,253
And1: 1,517
Joined: Jul 04, 2016
 

Re: will kuzma be an all star for lakers or just a good role player? 

Post#184 » by Landsberger » Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:19 am

Maybe we should send him to the G League.....
stan francisco
Analyst
Posts: 3,354
And1: 873
Joined: Oct 20, 2015
 

Re: will kuzma be an all star for lakers or just a good role player? 

Post#185 » by stan francisco » Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:04 am

Landsberger wrote:Maybe we should send him to the G League.....


I won’t quote you on that in February because I know it was a joke. :nod:
2019-20
PG: James16, Caruso20, Bradley4, Rondo4, Norvell4
SG: Green24, Pope10, Bradley8, Daniels4, Cook2
SF: Kuzma22, James16, THT6, Caroline4
PF: Davis32, Kuzma10, Cacok4, Dudley2
C: McGee22, Howard22, Davis2, Antetokounmpo2
User avatar
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 13,163
And1: 12,487
Joined: Jul 13, 2014

Re: will kuzma be an all star for lakers or just a good role player? 

Post#186 » by zimpy27 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:03 am

The hard thing with Kuzma is that it's not really his fault. He's a bad fit with AD.

His talent will be wasted on this team and his value not maximized.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
NippySudz
Junior
Posts: 332
And1: 121
Joined: Jul 08, 2019

Re: will kuzma be an all star for lakers or just a good role player? 

Post#187 » by NippySudz » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:09 am

zimpy27 wrote:The hard thing with Kuzma is that it's not really his fault. He's a bad fit with AD.

His talent will be wasted on this team and his value not maximized.
Now we're blaming ad...lol.. Seriously??

A slashers game should always compliment a dominant big

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk
User avatar
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 13,163
And1: 12,487
Joined: Jul 13, 2014

Re: will kuzma be an all star for lakers or just a good role player? 

Post#188 » by zimpy27 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:21 am

NippySudz wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:The hard thing with Kuzma is that it's not really his fault. He's a bad fit with AD.

His talent will be wasted on this team and his value not maximized.
Now we're blaming ad...lol.. Seriously??

A slashers game should always compliment a dominant big

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk


The last 3 years of lineup data will show you that AD is best with a stretch or defensive big and 3 guards.

The best lineup for Kuzma and AD together is with 3 guards but that makes AD the 5, which he wants to avoid.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
danfantastk32
Analyst
Posts: 3,242
And1: 1,076
Joined: Dec 20, 2015
     

Re: will kuzma be an all star for lakers or just a good role player? 

Post#189 » by danfantastk32 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:20 am

Landsberger wrote:Maybe we should send him to the G League.....


But that wasn't what anyone said. The post asks...is he an all-star or a good role player. Nobody's suggesting g-league. And I disagree with the poster above saying he needs time to adjust. While that may be the case, I think the argument of 4-years of college, and this being his 3rd season (averaging 31 minutes and 33 minutes....so REAL time on the floor) is a fair, and strong one. The onus, now, is on Kuzma to prove he's better than a good role player....not the fan-base to give it time.

But I'm not gonna defend whether I think the guy deserves playing time. That wasn't the question, and it's not a point anyone is suggesting / arguing.
karkinos
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,216
And1: 1,464
Joined: Nov 06, 2009

Re: will kuzma be an all star for lakers or just a good role player? 

Post#190 » by karkinos » Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:27 pm

patience
still way early in the season
Landsberger
Head Coach
Posts: 7,253
And1: 1,517
Joined: Jul 04, 2016
 

Re: will kuzma be an all star for lakers or just a good role player? 

Post#191 » by Landsberger » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:13 pm

danfantastk32 wrote:
Landsberger wrote:Maybe we should send him to the G League.....


But that wasn't what anyone said. The post asks...is he an all-star or a good role player. Nobody's suggesting g-league. And I disagree with the poster above saying he needs time to adjust. While that may be the case, I think the argument of 4-years of college, and this being his 3rd season (averaging 31 minutes and 33 minutes....so REAL time on the floor) is a fair, and strong one. The onus, now, is on Kuzma to prove he's better than a good role player....not the fan-base to give it time.

But I'm not gonna defend whether I think the guy deserves playing time. That wasn't the question, and it's not a point anyone is suggesting / arguing.


You need one of these.....

Spoiler:
Image
Landsberger
Head Coach
Posts: 7,253
And1: 1,517
Joined: Jul 04, 2016
 

Re: will kuzma be an all star for lakers or just a good role player? 

Post#192 » by Landsberger » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:18 pm

Kuzma is still finding his way. Last night we saw them actually give him the ball in not just a catch and shoot situation and he got mentally involved in the game. The last 4 or 5 games he's just not involved at all. We concentrate on isolation so much with either AD or Bron that he becomes just another spot up shooter. He can score in a lot of ways and is active off the ball if allowed to be.

The idea that some "historic" stat on teams that have nothing to do with this team is somehow predictive that AD and Kuzma can't play together is truly laughable. Absolutely nothing translates when the variables are unique from a statistical analysis standpoint.... but hey.... don't let that get in your way.
NippySudz
Junior
Posts: 332
And1: 121
Joined: Jul 08, 2019

Re: will kuzma be an all star for lakers or just a good role player? 

Post#193 » by NippySudz » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:22 pm

Landsberger wrote:Kuzma is still finding his way. Last night we saw them actually give him the ball in not just a catch and shoot situation and he got mentally involved in the game. The last 4 or 5 games he's just not involved at all. We concentrate on isolation so much with either AD or Bron that he becomes just another spot up shooter. He can score in a lot of ways and is active off the ball if allowed to be.

The idea that some "historic" stat on teams that have nothing to do with this team is somehow predictive that AD and Kuzma can't play together is truly laughable. Absolutely nothing translates when the variables are unique from a statistical analysis standpoint.... but hey.... don't let that get in your way.
He was catching and shooting last night. Had a couple of shots where he created for himself but mostly he was shooting up. All the threes get shot was setup.

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk
Landsberger
Head Coach
Posts: 7,253
And1: 1,517
Joined: Jul 04, 2016
 

Re: will kuzma be an all star for lakers or just a good role player? 

Post#194 » by Landsberger » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:31 pm

NippySudz wrote:
Landsberger wrote:Kuzma is still finding his way. Last night we saw them actually give him the ball in not just a catch and shoot situation and he got mentally involved in the game. The last 4 or 5 games he's just not involved at all. We concentrate on isolation so much with either AD or Bron that he becomes just another spot up shooter. He can score in a lot of ways and is active off the ball if allowed to be.

The idea that some "historic" stat on teams that have nothing to do with this team is somehow predictive that AD and Kuzma can't play together is truly laughable. Absolutely nothing translates when the variables are unique from a statistical analysis standpoint.... but hey.... don't let that get in your way.
He was catching and shooting last night. Had a couple of shots where he created for himself but mostly he was shooting up. All the threes get shot was setup.

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk


He became very active when the cleared a side for him on 2 consecutive possessions. One was an assist and the other was a good pass to the corner but the jumper was missed. Just that little difference from what they have had him doing got him engaged. I think if they keep giving him the ball in small stretches like that we'll see his offensive effectiveness rise.
NippySudz
Junior
Posts: 332
And1: 121
Joined: Jul 08, 2019

Re: will kuzma be an all star for lakers or just a good role player? 

Post#195 » by NippySudz » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:34 pm

Landsberger wrote:
NippySudz wrote:
Landsberger wrote:Kuzma is still finding his way. Last night we saw them actually give him the ball in not just a catch and shoot situation and he got mentally involved in the game. The last 4 or 5 games he's just not involved at all. We concentrate on isolation so much with either AD or Bron that he becomes just another spot up shooter. He can score in a lot of ways and is active off the ball if allowed to be.

The idea that some "historic" stat on teams that have nothing to do with this team is somehow predictive that AD and Kuzma can't play together is truly laughable. Absolutely nothing translates when the variables are unique from a statistical analysis standpoint.... but hey.... don't let that get in your way.
He was catching and shooting last night. Had a couple of shots where he created for himself but mostly he was shooting up. All the threes get shot was setup.

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk


He became very active when the cleared a side for him on 2 consecutive possessions. One was an assist and the other was a good pass to the corner but the jumper was missed. Just that little difference from what they have had him doing got him engaged. I think if they keep giving him the ball in small stretches like that we'll see his offensive effectiveness rise.
I do agree. I don't think he's trash. I just think he's overrated. There's a difference. I think on any capable night he's capable of giving 30 then the next night, he might give you 10pts. But really I see him around 14-16ppg coming off the bench. That's respectable.

I do think hes tradeable though. Not speaking cap wise. Just from a talent perspective. I'd be shocked if the Lakers resigned this guy to a lucrative contract.

From a cap perspective, it makes no sense to trade him.

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk
Landsberger
Head Coach
Posts: 7,253
And1: 1,517
Joined: Jul 04, 2016
 

Re: will kuzma be an all star for lakers or just a good role player? 

Post#196 » by Landsberger » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:48 pm

NippySudz wrote:
Landsberger wrote:
NippySudz wrote:He was catching and shooting last night. Had a couple of shots where he created for himself but mostly he was shooting up. All the threes get shot was setup.

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk


He became very active when the cleared a side for him on 2 consecutive possessions. One was an assist and the other was a good pass to the corner but the jumper was missed. Just that little difference from what they have had him doing got him engaged. I think if they keep giving him the ball in small stretches like that we'll see his offensive effectiveness rise.
I do agree. I don't think he's trash. I just think he's overrated. There's a difference. I think on any capable night he's capable of giving 30 then the next night, he might give you 10pts. But really I see him around 14-16ppg coming off the bench. That's respectable.

I do think hes tradeable though. Not speaking cap wise. Just from a talent perspective. I'd be shocked if the Lakers resigned this guy to a lucrative contract.

From a cap perspective, it makes no sense to trade him.

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk


From a cap perspective if he can get you 16 off the bench at his age you have to re-sign him. As a capped team we could not get anyone for the MLE who could replace that level of production.

As for his value and ceiling. I see it higher than just a journeyman. I think he can be a very valuable piece on a championship caliber team. One we'd have a hard time finding like value in either a trade or on the "market" with what we'd have to deal with. Actually, the most tradable he'd become is if we re-signed him because we can go above the cap. Then his salary would be in line with other players of his value.
NippySudz
Junior
Posts: 332
And1: 121
Joined: Jul 08, 2019

Re: will kuzma be an all star for lakers or just a good role player? 

Post#197 » by NippySudz » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:58 pm

Landsberger wrote:
NippySudz wrote:
Landsberger wrote:
He became very active when the cleared a side for him on 2 consecutive possessions. One was an assist and the other was a good pass to the corner but the jumper was missed. Just that little difference from what they have had him doing got him engaged. I think if they keep giving him the ball in small stretches like that we'll see his offensive effectiveness rise.
I do agree. I don't think he's trash. I just think he's overrated. There's a difference. I think on any capable night he's capable of giving 30 then the next night, he might give you 10pts. But really I see him around 14-16ppg coming off the bench. That's respectable.

I do think hes tradeable though. Not speaking cap wise. Just from a talent perspective. I'd be shocked if the Lakers resigned this guy to a lucrative contract.

From a cap perspective, it makes no sense to trade him.

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk


From a cap perspective if he can get you 16 off the bench at his age you have to re-sign him. As a capped team we could not get anyone for the MLE who could replace that level of production.

As for his value and ceiling. I see it higher than just a journeyman. I think he can be a very valuable piece on a championship caliber team. One we'd have a hard time finding like value in either a trade or on the "market" with what we'd have to deal with. Actually, the most tradable he'd become is if we re-signed him because we can go above the cap. Then his salary would be in line with other players of his value.
He's 25 years old. He's not exactly a spring chicken


And I said from a talent perspective. Obviously the Lakers are strapped for cash due to the cap. So it makes sense to sign him but if he gets anything higher than 60-80m, he gamed the Lakers.

Hes not a Lou will. He's not montrezl Harrell.

He's a young budding role player. He's not someone you have to keep from a talent perspective. He's not untouchable. It would just have to take the right deal and circumstance down the line and seeing there are none right now, they're keeping him but best to believe if they had a deal for kuzma that made sense they'd do it in a heartbeat.

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk
LAKESHOW
RealGM
Posts: 11,119
And1: 1,342
Joined: Mar 14, 2002
Location: HOME OF THE 16 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!

Re: will kuzma be an all star for lakers or just a good role player? 

Post#198 » by LAKESHOW » Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:22 pm

If he plays the way he played last night, holy crap give him the mvp. Dude was ZONED IN DIALED IN. My goodness he was on fire. And im not one to make a point against a player, and continue that thesis, regardless of the win or loss. If theres a point against kuz, like his lateral defensive mobility, ill make it. But the man deserves his props when he delivers. And he delivered last night. Props to Kuz, who played like an allstar.
Home of the 16 Time World Champions
NippySudz
Junior
Posts: 332
And1: 121
Joined: Jul 08, 2019

Re: will kuzma be an all star for lakers or just a good role player? 

Post#199 » by NippySudz » Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:08 pm

LAKESHOW wrote:If he plays the way he played last night, holy crap give him the mvp. Dude was ZONED IN DIALED IN. My goodness he was on fire. And im not one to make a point against a player, and continue that thesis, regardless of the win or loss. If theres a point against kuz, like his lateral defensive mobility, ill make it. But the man deserves his props when he delivers. And he delivered last night. Props to Kuz, who played like an allstar.


Poe's law but I really hope this is sarcasm but this is the regular type of hyperbole I see on the internet whenever I see people talk about kuzma. 16pts. All star.

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk
LAKESHOW
RealGM
Posts: 11,119
And1: 1,342
Joined: Mar 14, 2002
Location: HOME OF THE 16 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!

Re: will kuzma be an all star for lakers or just a good role player? 

Post#200 » by LAKESHOW » Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:36 pm

Well listen, you clipper fans wanna be recognized, i get it. You want to be noticed. Understood. The man balled out last night, im just giving the man his props. No need to be a Jive turkey on thanksgiving. Happy Thanksgiving.
Home of the 16 Time World Champions

Return to Los Angeles Lakers