ImageImageImageImageImage

will kuzma be an all star for lakers or just a good role player?

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,679

Re: will kuzma be an all star for lakers or just a good role player? 

Post#261 » by dockingsched » Mon Dec 9, 2019 9:55 pm

I don’t know why people think a 3rd man off the bench who has declined yet again to start his career has any trade value.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,545

Post#262 » by stan francisco » Mon Dec 9, 2019 11:32 pm

Why people talk about trading him or not, I don’t understand.

He makes $1.9M.

Because of that fact he is not being traded. Not even if he misses every shot until March. His upside is still worth $1.9M.

Side note: I’m a tolerant Kuz-bus driver but even I am starting to expect him to get it in gear soon.

It should mentioned that it’s first in the last couple of weeks that the other role players have started to look comfortable in Vogel’s system. Kuzma started some 6 weeks late? He should soon start shooting sharp.

I call that he’ll put up a 40 point game before January 15.
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 40,980

Post#263 » by Sedale Threatt » Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:18 am

dockingsched wrote:I don’t know why people think a 3rd man off the bench who has declined yet again to start his career has any trade value.

That's the thing. If we could get a proven plus player I would move him in a heartbeat, almost irrespective of position besides center. Besides raw points, he's just not giving us much. But between his mediocrity and tiny salary, the whole point is moot. The only way he'd net anything is as a throw-in with better assets, and we just don't have anything on that front. So our only real option is to hope he figures out a way to pull himself out of the toilet.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#264 » by Kilroy » Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:24 am

I think Kuzma still has enough presumed upside to be considered an asset in the right system. He might not have a wide open trade market, but I'm sure there's teams out there that would give up something for him or take him as part of a bigger deal.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
bb22
Starter
And1: 985

Post#265 » by bb22 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:11 am

Kuz is not going anywhere. I think he will have more than a few (relatively) big games this season where his scoring makes the difference. I think he will be hard to play in the playoffs, but it won't matter anyway considering it will all come down to Bron + AD and the vet role players producing.
NippySudz
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,460

Post#266 » by NippySudz » Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:32 am

Ball so hard wrote:Trading Kuz for Bertans makes no sense lol. I can't believe people are even entertaining it. About the only thing Bertans is better at is shooting. Another PF is far from a need. If you have to trade Kuz, you trade him for a ball handling creator. Some people are simply trade-happy.

I agree, people are trade happy but right now kuz isn't doing anything so its a worthy upgrade. That being said, the trade makes no sense because it doesn't fit money wise I don't believe and no one is stupid enough to gift bertans to the lakers.

Lebron would get bertans so many open looks though. My god.
NippySudz
Assistant Coach

Post#267 » by NippySudz » Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:34 am

Kilroy wrote:I think Kuzma still has enough presumed upside to be considered an asset in the right system. He might not have a wide open trade market, but I'm sure there's teams out there that would give up something for him or take him as part of a bigger deal.

I don't know what that says for Kuzma's competitve spirit. Kyle kuzma would rather stink it up on the lakers than go be an intergral piece on a rebuilding team. I think if it was traded, it can only go two ways. Him working on his game or him sinking that he's not playing on the lakers with the best player in the league.

stan francisco wrote:Why people talk about trading him or not, I don’t understand.

He makes $1.9M.

Because of that fact he is not being traded. Not even if he misses every shot until March. His upside is still worth $1.9M.

Side note: I’m a tolerant Kuz-bus driver but even I am starting to expect him to get it in gear soon.

It should mentioned that it’s first in the last couple of weeks that the other role players have started to look comfortable in Vogel’s system. Kuzma started some 6 weeks late? He should soon start shooting sharp.

a 40pt game doesn't mean anything. It's about consistency.
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,637

Post#268 » by danfantastk32 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:40 am

Kilroy wrote:I think Kuzma still has enough presumed upside to be considered an asset in the right system. He might not have a wide open trade market, but I'm sure there's teams out there that would give up something for him or take him as part of a bigger deal.

I'd agree with this. Young player with enough "flashes" in his career so far to still entice the right team. We're not getting top-10 picks for him, or an all-star caliber player....but you could get something.

I would say I'm in the 'keep him' camp, as I don't think we'd be getting an appreciably better player for him. But that decision really has to come from the FO who has to decide if they want to pay him. If not.....then perhaps they aughta start shopping him.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#269 » by stan francisco » Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:59 am

NippySudz wrote:

I don't know what that says for Kuzma's competitve spirit. Kyle kuzma would rather stink it up on the lakers than go be an intergral piece on a rebuilding team. I think if it was traded, it can only go two ways. Him working on his game or him sinking that he's not playing on the lakers with the best player in the league.

stan francisco wrote:Why people talk about trading him or not, I don’t understand.

He makes $1.9M.

I wasn’t saying it’s the right barometer, more that I look forward to the Debbie Downers being quiet for a day. It took until now for Danny Green to look consistently comfortable.

How many weeks did Kuz miss beginning of season?
NippySudz
Assistant Coach

Post#270 » by NippySudz » Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:06 am

stan francisco wrote:
NippySudz wrote:

He makes $1.9M.

I wasn’t saying it’s the right barometer, more that I look forward to the Debbie Downers being quiet for a day. It took until now for Danny Green to look consistently comfortable.

How many weeks did Kuz miss beginning of season?

Kyle Kuzma has missed 2 weeks. He's played 20 out of the 24 games played. Left 1 early for the eye injury. So kyle kuzma has played about 19.5 half games out of the 24.

That's who danny green is. Anyone that followed danny green knows he's a streaky 3pt shooter. There's a reason Danny Green avg 9 points for his career. He's not hyped to be the 3rd scorer on this team. Kuz is and almost everyone who plays is excelling over him in their respective roles.

danfantastk32 wrote:

I'd agree with this. Young player with enough "flashes" in his career so far to still entice the right team. We're not getting top-10 picks for him, or an all-star caliber player....but you could get something.

I would say I'm in the 'keep him' camp, as I don't think we'd be getting an appreciably better player for him. But that decision really has to come from the FO who has to decide if they want to pay him. If not.....then perhaps they aughta start shopping him.

That's the only reason he's in la. his contract is cheap. I'm reptty sure if the lakers could get a better player for kuz's contact, most lakers fans would sign off and not blink twice. Even kuz's most staunchest supporters. But the lakers cant' so they have to make do and hope he can get it together. However, If the lakers go and extend this guy, I have to ask what are they doing? the only real reason would be he would use him as a trade asset later in his career.
Landsberger
General Manager
And1: 1,969

Post#271 » by Landsberger » Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:28 am

So... Kuzma sucks. We get it.

The reality is that a group believes that somehow we will get a guy who can get us a consistent 15 off the bench for him.... or a combination of guys. The true reality is that the way we are playing no one can get us a consistent 15 when we center every play and every set around Davis or Bron. The truth is that we're very successful doing it and I really don't know why Kuzma's performance in a system that has produced the best start in franchise history has proved to be such a focus. It seems the detractors have to have a "I'm smarter than everyone and anyone connected to the team" moment to justify their existence.

Kuzma is struggling in this system.... period. His talent level is capable of what we've seen in the past... it isn't like he's regressed or is somehow getting worst as a player. He doesn't fit the system. Anyone can see it. Now we'll see if the system accepts that he needs some different looks or if leadership will look in a different direction.

In the end the results of what we're doing haven't been either enhanced nor have they been put in jeopardy by Kuzma's play. He had a couple good scoring stretched that changed the completion of a couple games for us but he's been largely inconsequential on a consistent basis...... just like everyone else not named Davis or LeBron.
NippySudz
Assistant Coach

Post#272 » by NippySudz » Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:47 am

Landsberger wrote:So... Kuzma sucks. We get it.

The reality is that a group believes that somehow we will get a guy who can get us a consistent 15 off the bench for him.... or a combination of guys. The true reality is that the way we are playing no one can get us a consistent 15 when we center every play and every set around Davis or Bron. The truth is that we're very successful doing it and I really don't know why Kuzma's performance in a system that has produced the best start in franchise history has proved to be such a focus. It seems the detractors have to have a "I'm smarter than everyone and anyone connected to the team" moment to justify their existence.

Kuzma is struggling in this system.... period. His talent level is capable of what we've seen in the past... it isn't like he's regressed or is somehow getting worst as a player. He doesn't fit the system. Anyone can see it. Now we'll see if the system accepts that he needs some different looks or if leadership will look in a different direction.

In the end the results of what we're doing haven't been either enhanced nor have they been put in jeopardy by Kuzma's play. He had a couple good scoring stretched that changed the completion of a couple games for us but he's been largely inconsequential on a consistent basis...... just like everyone else not named Davis or LeBron.

The first answer to your question. It's the los angeles lakers and the media along with fans have pegged kuzma as the third star. He plays for the biggest brand in basketball and one of the biggest brands in sports, period. Of course there would be a spotlight focused on him. There was a spotlight focused on KCP when he was playing terribly. Kuz is no exception. Other spotlights that are positives that have happened has been caruso, dwight, and javale. If they were not on the lakers, no would care. Because they are, they are getting the credit for playing well and rightly SO. If and When Kuz plays well, laker nation will shower him with attention just as they did when he played well in the past.

Secondly, Yes he's getting used to the system or he could have been a player that put up good stats on a bad team. A lot of people, including myself have said he's a 6'9 jordan clarkson and pegged that to be his ceiling and it could very well be that. Then again, if he was in another system and had a lot of playing time, maybe he'd be better. I don't think he'd be all star, but not 10ppg.

Time will tell. These fantasy trades are ridiculous. There's no one that lakers can trade for.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,987

Post#273 » by zimpy27 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:14 am

He makes $1.9M.

He doesn't have to be traded yet but realistically the playoff guard rotation will be Rondo/Cook/Caruso/Bradley/KCP and the playoff rotation of the SF/PF/C will be:
20 mins: Green/LeBron/AD
16 mins: LeBron/AD/Howard
6 mins: Green/AD/Howard
6 mins: Green/LeBron/Howard

The 3 best players on the team are covering his SF/PF role.
His only chance of minutes at SF/PF is as a role player to provide some scoring in spot minutes.

The Lakers need to work on the playmaking that happens when LeBron sits. Kuzma is the best asset to use to get another playmaker.

I'd go for Derrick Rose. A Rose/Caruso backcourt would be dynamite.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
dAdo dA dEvil
Sixth Man
And1: 476

Post#274 » by dAdo dA dEvil » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:15 am

I don't know who could we get for Kuzma given that his salary is low. It would be hard to match salaries and I'm not sure if there is any other player in the league right now that's making under 2M that we would want. It would be hard to make a trade package when you have like 3 players in your team with a NTC. I don't see us netting a 3rd option with Kuzma / Daniels / Cook /THT / Dudley.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#275 » by stan francisco » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:03 pm

His injury was only two weeks? I thought he missed all of training camp. Two weeks. Okay. He missed two weeks.

In two weeks he will turn it on. We all saw what he can do next to Bron last season. Chill and watch.

Is this some crusade? He’s in his third year. We’re 21-3. He gets paid $1.9M. Good opportunity to give him some time. Worst timing ever to trade him now. Over his entire career, this will be the worst value he has in a trade. Right now.
Ball so hard
Sixth Man
And1: 677

Post#276 » by Ball so hard » Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:28 pm

dockingsched wrote:I don’t know why people think a 3rd man off the bench who has declined yet again to start his career has any trade value.

I don't think he's declined. I'd agree that he doesn't seem to have improved. He's been virtually non existent in much of the games I've watched. However, he's playing 10 less minutes and taking 6 less shots than last year on offense. I'm not sure it's realistic to expect improvement from a volume scorer who's minutes, shots and touches have been significantly reduced.
Landsberger
General Manager

Post#277 » by Landsberger » Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:03 pm

NippySudz wrote:
Landsberger wrote:So... Kuzma sucks. We get it.

The first answer to your question. It's the los angeles lakers and the media along with fans have pegged kuzma as the third star. He plays for the biggest brand in basketball and one of the biggest brands in sports, period. Of course there would be a spotlight focused on him. There was a spotlight focused on KCP when he was playing terribly. Kuz is no exception. Other spotlights that are positives that have happened has been caruso, dwight, and javale. If they were not on the lakers, no would care. Because they are, they are getting the credit for playing well and rightly SO. If and When Kuz plays well, laker nation will shower him with attention just as they did when he played well in the past.

Secondly, Yes he's getting used to the system or he could have been a player that put up good stats on a bad team. A lot of people, including myself have said he's a 6'9 jordan clarkson and pegged that to be his ceiling and it could very well be that. Then again, if he was in another system and had a lot of playing time, maybe he'd be better. I don't think he'd be all star, but not 10ppg.

Time will tell. These fantasy trades are ridiculous. There's no one that lakers can trade for.

My "questions" were rhetorical. You answered way before I posted.
iamworthy
RealGM
And1: 8,909

Post#278 » by iamworthy » Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:05 pm

Can we change the title to, “ Will kuz be on the lakers after the trade deadline?”
Landsberger
General Manager

Post#279 » by Landsberger » Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:13 pm

Ball so hard wrote:

I don't think he's declined. I'd agree that he doesn't seem to have improved. He's been virtually non existent in much of the games I've watched. However, he's playing 10 less minutes and taking 6 less shots than last year on offense. I'm not sure it's realistic to expect improvement from a volume scorer who's minutes, shots and touches have been significantly reduced.

We're not truly playing a "second unit". Vogel has one of LeBron or Davis on the floor at all times. In that scenario they are the entire focus of the offense.... and I mean entire focus. The rest of our team is sitting around the 3 point line waiting for a pass. That may seem like an oversimplification but It's what's going on just about every possession. It's working for us to the tune of a historic start so no one is complaining. A guy like Kuzma excels in the broken court and cutting off the ball. Neither are things this team is doing at present. I'm not surprised by his lack of opportunity. We'll see if Vogel and/or the big 2 change what they are doing to integrate him better. My guess is no based on results we've seen but we'll see. That said he's giving good effort playing defense and has progressed there IMHO. I've seen him have some very good games within the system. Does he slip up? Sure.... everyone does. The difference with him is that people start threads when he does while completely ignoring others for the same thing. He's somehow fostered a level of hate for what I'm not sure. I guess it's that he's still here when someone's favorite young guy isn't.
tamaraw08
Analyst
And1: 1,289

Post#280 » by tamaraw08 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:14 pm

Ball so hard wrote:

You made very valid points along with most posters here. I think the one of the biggest problems here is Vogel's over reliance on James and AD who plays 34.4 mins per game, taking a combined 40 shots/game with one of them missing one game so far.
It's not like when Lebron sits, Kuzma becomes the focal point bec AD is still there taking the bulk of the shots.
Yes, I would sound like a big whiner here bec they are 21-3, top 5 in both DRTG AND ORTG etc etc but again this team is relying way too much on the 35 yrs old vet and another superstar who has a history of injuries. there's 58 games to play in the next 3.5 months and yet Vogel and his staff have not created a better plan to create a better system where Kuzma and the rest can really contribute so AD and James can save their energy by March, April, May and June.
The Rondo injury is huge IMO, bec he could have set Kuzma better than anybody else. Lebron is great too but his focus is to feed AD the ball most of the time.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers