who should our starting PG be?

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

what would jack bauer do?
Veteran
And1: 295

Re: who should our starting PG be? 

Post#41 » by what would jack bauer do? » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:34 pm

Landsberger wrote:
what would jack bauer do? wrote:Current roster, it should be without a doubt Caruso. He's primed to be a Pat Beverly level defender (without all the antics) and he's got a ton of potential on offense.

This is a pretty bold statement. For me Caruso has shown some promise playing on the second unit on very poor teams at the end of very poor seasons against teams coasting to the end of the season. I don't see how that translates to the pressure of being expected to win every night against starters for 35-40 mins a game.

Let's revisit this after 30 games.

Nah, I dont think he's capable of being a 35-40 minute guy Beverly can't even do that. More of a 25mpg over 80 games guy with that beverly/Derek Fisher kind of role but with a bit more pop and instinct on offense.
One Love
Starter
And1: 290

Post#42 » by One Love » Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:33 am

Nobody excited about Cook... Don’t sleep on Avery... Dude can play... Rondo got a vet min to play with 2nd unit... Avery & Caruso are the ONLY 2 candidates that got two year deals... Avery getting $5.0 per & Caruso got $2.75 per...

I am very high on Caruso & he may earn the spot during the season but Avery has a legit shot at starting this season... Stats are great but come on, Boston signs Irving & you are surprised Avery moves to SG... It sounds like the coach wanted defense on the court... We are looking for a combo guard boys...

Lakeshow Baby...
AdonisDeMarion
Bench Warmer
And1: 121

Post#43 » by AdonisDeMarion » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:41 am

With James on the floor the back court should be Bradley and Green....
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,545

Post#44 » by stan francisco » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:17 pm

AdonisDeMarion wrote:With James on the floor the back court should be Bradley and Green....

Unless when LeBron starts at PG, which I think he should.
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,679

Post#45 » by dockingsched » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:42 pm

stan francisco wrote:
AdonisDeMarion wrote:With James on the floor the back court should be Bradley and Green....

What exactly do you think lebron starting at PG looks like? Aside from Vogel already publicly stating that he has no idea how this rumor even started and that he expects lebron to do what he’s always done, do you actually expect Lebron to go out there and guard opposing small guards?

If lebron isn’t out there guarding opposing PG’s, then the Lakers still need someone who will which makes this whole “lebron playing pg” label kind of meaningless.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#46 » by stan francisco » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:06 pm

dockingsched wrote:
stan francisco wrote:

What exactly do you think lebron starting at PG looks like? Aside from Vogel already publicly stating that he has no idea how this rumor even started and that he expects lebron to do what he’s always done, do you actually expect Lebron to go out there and guard opposing small guards?

If lebron isn’t out there guarding opposing PG’s, then the Lakers still need someone who will which makes this whole “lebron playing pg” label kind of meaningless.

See sig, to answer your question. That’s not what I think will be but rather what I would like to see. Going huge makes us the aggressor. See Warriors going small. No, LeBron wouldn’t chase Curry. The SG (Green/Pope/Bradley) would of course switch to the PG on defense.

But hey let’s go the more expected route, where we don’t start our third best player, Kuzma... :

PG: Bradley
SG: Green
SF: James
PF: Davis
C: Howard

Meh... I’d rather see something the opponent has to react to. Something like:

Point forward: James
Shooting guard: Green
Small forward: Kuzma
Power point forward: Davis
Center: McGee

Or

PG: Bradley/Caruso
SG: James
SF: Kuzma
PF: Davis
C: Howard
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#47 » by dockingsched » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:46 am

So you expect Green to guard PGs, Lebron to guard SGs, and Kuzma to guard SFs? That makes sense to you?

Anyway, if Lebron isn’t guarding opposing small guards, is playing the same offensive role he always plays, why even bother calling him a PG?

Edit: Kyle Kuzma is not the Lakers third best player, he has no argument over players like Danny Green. Kuzma can one day be that good, but first he needs to simply become just a positive impact player. Assuming one day he becomes good enough to be the third best player, even then coming off the bench is perfectly fine.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#48 » by dockingsched » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:18 am

Im also confused with the idea that going big makes the Lakers the aggressor. They immediately become a slower less effective defensive unit, spacing gets a lot worse cause Kuzma isn’t a good shooter yet, and they don’t get any advantage cause Green and Kuzma aren’t going to be given the ball to go at their smaller defender. they aren’t good enough iso players and cause you don’t do that when it’s way better to go through Lebron and Davis.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,978

Post#49 » by zimpy27 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:13 pm

dockingsched wrote:Im also confused with the idea that going big makes the Lakers the aggressor. They immediately become a slower less effective defensive unit, spacing gets a lot worse cause Kuzma isn’t a good shooter yet, and they don’t get any advantage cause Green and Kuzma aren’t going to be given the ball to go at their smaller defender. they aren’t good enough iso players and cause you don’t do that when it’s way better to go through Lebron and Davis.

Agreed.

KCP will start if he can shoot 40%+ on spot ups.
If not then they probably look at Cook to start if he can defend aggressively with AD and Howard at his back.
If neither her of those happen then they probably take Caruso.
I personally think Caruso is the best player but they likely need him to play the 12 minutes that LeBron sits. If they are prepared to play him nearly 30 a game then that's enough to start, end and.cover LeBron.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
One Love
Starter
And1: 290

Post#50 » by One Love » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:26 pm

Avery or Caruso will start at PG & Kuzz will come off the bench... I don’t necessarily think Green is better than Kuzz right now but he is definitely more polished & has a defined roll in the league...

Kuzz will be on the floor in the 4th quarter with LBJ, AD & Green closing games out, which is ALL that should matter... I can’t wait for the season to start boys...

Lakeshow Baby...
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#51 » by Kilroy » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:14 pm

All that should matter is that we win games... Kuz's role in those wins is a ancillary plot-line, not a significant concern. He will most certainly play... How that looks shouldn't really matter a whole lot as long as we win.

In the same vein, I don't honestly care if KCP, or Bradley, or Caruso, or Cook, or whoever else starts at the 1... That's another relatively unimportant plot-line... But I figure it will be one of those guys, and it won't be Lebron, or Kuz...
LeBron will be the primary ball handler in the half court like he always is... But he won't defend (anyone?) 1s or many 2s... That will be left to one of the guys previously mentioned.

I'm still betting on Bradley... I think he has the right combination of shooting and defense and toughness... But it absolutely could be KCP too... I'd like that better actually, because I think KCP has been looking for the right role to allow him to shine, and he's got a lot more to show than what he's shown so far... Maybe this could be that role...

I also wouldn't be a bit shocked if to start the season, we see Rondo start at PG... Playing him limited minutes at starter and closer could be the best utilization for him... Who knows...

You have to figure, to open and close games, AD and LeBron are going to get almost all the shot opportunities with a little Green sprinkled in... So we won't really need a shooting 1 in those situations.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
tamaraw08
Analyst
And1: 1,289

Post#52 » by tamaraw08 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:01 pm

zimpy27 wrote:
dockingsched wrote:Im also confused with the idea that going big makes the Lakers the aggressor. They immediately become a slower less effective defensive unit, spacing gets a lot worse cause Kuzma isn’t a good shooter yet, and they don’t get any advantage cause Green and Kuzma aren’t going to be given the ball to go at their smaller defender. they aren’t good enough iso players and cause you don’t do that when it’s way better to go through Lebron and Davis.

Agreed.

KCP will start if he can shoot 40%+ on spot ups.
If not then they probably look at Cook to start if he can defend aggressively with AD and Howard at his back.
If neither her of those happen then they probably take Caruso.
I personally think Caruso is the best player but they likely need him to play the 12 minutes that LeBron sits. If they are prepared to play him nearly 30 a game then that's enough to start, end and.cover LeBron.

Stan has been loudly advocating a big lineup to try to punish teams by isolating the opposing team's smallest guy down low. I said I have never seen a guy like Danny Green post up or shoot over shorter defenders. He shared a link video where I felt Danny was like 70% left open and guys like Lebron and Wade had token effort to hustle back and somewhat try distract those shots... oh well.
I sure hope KCP can shoot 40% on spot ups, Cook had pretty good % hitting those shots but is a noted soft defender.
But I disagree with Caruso being the best player when Lebron sits. IMO, Alex need that playmaker to be effective and that Rondo is better in initiating the offense when Lebron sits, reading the defense,setting up shooters and even getting some screen rolls and alley oops.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#53 » by stan francisco » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:02 am

We have four very good playmaking ballhandlers:
LBJ, AC, RR, AD

We have four good defenders at PG:
AC, KCP, AB, RR

If not LBJ starting at point, start Caruso.

Why? Size, and all else. But, size. What did Phil Jackson say about having a size advantage at every position again... ?

What exactly are the Warriors gonna do when they have to defend:
PG: Caruso 6’5”
SG: LBJ 6’8”
SF: Kuzma 6’9”
PF: AD 6’11”
C: JMG 7’0”

Good luck on the post up every possession, Curry.

If you have a size advantage at every position you have an advantage at every position.
BEazy
RealGM
And1: 2,483

Post#54 » by BEazy » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:44 am

I think Caruso has proven himself enough to get significant minutes. Rondo will fare better with Dwight and Kuz off the bench.

Long Live The Black Mamba. Kobe Bean Bryant Laker For Life. 8/24
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#55 » by dockingsched » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:53 am

stan francisco wrote:We have four very good playmaking ballhandlers:
LBJ, AC, RR, AD

AC, KCP, AB, RR

Why? Size, and all else. But, size. What did Phil Jackson say about having a size advantage at every position again... ?

If you have a size advantage at every position you have an advantage at every position.

With AD and Lebron on the floor, you think the Lakers are going to run their offense through Caruso in the post?

You think any team in that scenario would guard Lebron with their SG rather than their SF? Wouldn’t they just put their SG on Kuzma and pray the Lakers run their offense through Kuzma in the post? Which again, makes labeling Lebron a SG totally meaningless.
iamworthy
RealGM
And1: 8,909

Post#56 » by iamworthy » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:50 pm

Honestly I don't care who starts at point but I would like to see rondo and kuz on the second unit. Maybe kuz can be the microwave off the bench.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#57 » by zimpy27 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:49 pm

KCP should be the starting PG as the season begins.

Caruso/Bradley should form a bench tandem. I think they'd work well together.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#58 » by stan francisco » Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:25 pm

dockingsched wrote:
stan francisco wrote:We have four very good playmaking ballhandlers:
LBJ, AC, RR, AD

AC, KCP, AB, RR

With AD and Lebron on the floor, you think the Lakers are going to run their offense through Caruso in the post?

No. I don’t. Never said that they will, but I don’t see why not.

dockingsched wrote:You think any team in that scenario would guard Lebron with their SG rather than their SF?

Clippers. But I never said that either.

dockingsched wrote:Wouldn’t they just put their SG on Kuzma and pray the Lakers run their offense through Kuzma in the post? Which again, makes labeling Lebron a SG totally meaningless.

Agreed. Labels are meaningless.

Simple logic. The three best players start. LBJ, AD and Kuzma is enough scoring and playmaking. If LBJ doesn’t start at PG (which I don’t think he will), the point guard to go with them needs to be defensive minded and knock down open shots be able to make plays for our big three. Caruso best fits that bill. Center needs to rebound, play defense and get cheap points off of putback’s and lobs. Either DH or JMG works.
iamworthy
RealGM
And1: 8,909

Post#59 » by iamworthy » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:36 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Welp, rondo is the starting point guard... :lol:
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#60 » by zimpy27 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:26 pm

iamworthy wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

Welp, rondo is the starting point guard... :lol:

SMH, Davis had better +/- with everyone else on his team except Okafor.

AD was better with Holiday, Ian Clark, Moore, and Jameer Nelson.

I hope this is just Davis giving a shout out because he's been told management won't play Rondo.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers