ImageImageImageImageImage

should players dictate where they want to play for?

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

lalalaker
Sophomore
And1: 19

should players dictate where they want to play for? 

Post#1 » by lalalaker » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:02 am

Do fans prefer if nba allowed players to freely choose where they want to play after certain yrs in their contract?
I have in mind 2 groups of player this should apply for:
1.players after their 1st rookie contract expires and
2.players who are at the end of their career

Basically rookie contracts hold player to the team they are drafted by for a longtime because their contract is restricted after their
1st contract is up.teams can match the offer sheet to keep the player they drafted so basically its a team option unless they take one year of qualifying offer to become unrestricted FA and may endure a yr of boos by the fans for possibly leaving. This rule basically for nba to maintain power balance and not allow stars to gather in one team.

Then there are players like igoudala who maybe be in his last year was traded to memphis and while we dont know how exactly he feels right now is being denied by them from discussing a buy out. should players near their end of career have a choice of where they want to play last whether its to accept a role in developing the young player, or playing for their home team here he grew up idolizing, or make a last run at another championship, or have a little fairwell tour playing for team that drafted you.

this goes two ways for fans bc 1 would say player X wants to play for a certain team and they rejoice if they actually do sign with them and the other would think no way would we want our player going elsewhere especially the rival teams.

If i am fan of certain player and they got drafted by some bad team i would kinda hope that player goes to a better team sooner than later i think this is sorta like when shaq joined the lakers early in his career.would lot of fans be more happy for the player that gets to play for team they wanted to play for to begin with or be mad that they are leaving quick.

But i do want to make one thing clear. I certainly dont approve wat PG did after appealing to okc fans that he is staying and then after 1 year he demands a trade. That announcement was loyalty to fans while i didnt like the fact that he didnt even have a meeting with the lakers i respected his decision bc I thought he really felt like okc was where he should be and play for. Then out of nowhere he decides to demand a trade to LA simply because all of the sudden grass was greener than other side and now okc is stuck with rebuilding mode.To me that was some serious backstabbing by george. this kind a dictating is certainly not what should be allowed and in all seriousness i am glad im not an okc fan.
Landsberger
General Manager
And1: 1,969

Re: should players dictate where they want to play for? 

Post#2 » by Landsberger » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:46 pm

You wouldn't have a league if players could move freely after a couple years. Some small market teams would never be any good.....regardless of where they drafted.

As a Laker fan it would be great but we'd quickly become MLB which is unwatchable in large part because of the lack of a salary cap. The same 6 teams vie for the championship every year and the rest of the league is essentially AAAA....
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,679

Post#3 » by dockingsched » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:24 pm

As long as they aren’t refusing to play, I don’t see the problem in players trying to maneuver their way off of and onto the team of their choice.

Freely choose, makes no sense.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#4 » by Kilroy » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:46 am

I don't mind them saying where they want to play, but I am getting tired of constantly hearing what they think about their situation.

I miss the days when a crazy owner with a vision and willingness to pay to make it happen, could rule his or her sport for a while.

I'm tired of hearing people who get paid 10s of millions of dollars a year, talking about how "Their family has to eat.." or worse, that they deserve more, because slave-owners... As they show up to camp after their yearly hold-out, in their gold plated bugattis...

If I'm honest, professional sports has gotten a little grotesque, and Players dictating where they're going to play is a big part of it.

I just can't really fault the players for doing it once the precedent has been set.

I wish the bottom would fall out of the sports market.
I wish people would be outraged at the thought of paying more than $40 for a sports jersey, I wish the thought of paying more than $1000 for any individual sporting event, would be considered asinine, unless your favorite sports star delivered you beer during the game... while his girlfriend blew you.
I wish people would simply not pay for subscription streaming services unless their favorite team was included in the price... home AND away.

Basically, it's our own fault... We're idiots... who beg professional, and college sports, to rob us blind, and **** on us while they do it...
So whatever... Let AD, KD and Kawhi, do their thing.... But just stop talking like Antonio Brown is the devil, while we line up to buy KD's latest jersey.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
Landsberger
General Manager

Post#5 » by Landsberger » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:00 pm

Kilroy wrote:I don't mind them saying where they want to play, but I am getting tired of constantly hearing what they think about their situation.

I miss the days when a crazy owner with a vision and willingness to pay to make it happen, could rule his or her sport for a while.

I'm tired of hearing people who get paid 10s of millions of dollars a year, talking about how "Their family has to eat.." or worse, that they deserve more, because slave-owners... As they show up to camp after their yearly hold-out, in their gold plated bugattis...

If I'm honest, professional sports has gotten a little grotesque, and Players dictating where they're going to play is a big part of it.

I just can't really fault the players for doing it once the precedent has been set.

I wish people would be outraged at the thought of paying more than $40 for a sports jersey, I wish the thought of paying more than $1000 for any individual sporting event, would be considered asinine, unless your favorite sports star delivered you beer during the game... while his girlfriend blew you.
I wish people would simply not pay for subscription streaming services unless their favorite team was included in the price... home AND away.

Basically, it's our own fault... We're idiots... who beg professional, and college sports, to rob us blind, and **** on us while they do it...
So whatever... Let AD, KD and Kawhi, do their thing.... But just stop talking like Antonio Brown is the devil, while we line up to buy KD's latest jersey.

So.....get off my lawn? :lol:

Actually..... yeah....spot on.
tamaraw08
Analyst
And1: 1,289

Post#6 » by tamaraw08 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:54 pm

Kilroy wrote:I don't mind them saying where they want to play, but I am getting tired of constantly hearing what they think about their situation.

Great post overall but the treatment with a crazy spoiled guy and a player who never broke the law and who waited for free agency to choose where he wants to play should be different.
I hated KD for abandoning OKC and joining a 73 win team but at least he or his agent didn't pressure his present team to trade him.
What George did was way overboard esp after just signiing a 4 year contract.
I felt AD waited too long to finally make the request but his agent going public was wrong. Yes, Orleans would rather have 1-4 players in return instead of simply waiting for his actual free agency to bolt out but doing it in public puts his team in great pressure to accept a lower offer from other teams.
It is my opinion that no guy over 20 should be buying and wearing anybody's jersey or endorsed shoes.
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,637

Post#7 » by danfantastk32 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:17 am

Kilroy wrote:I wish the bottom would fall out of the sports market. I wish people would be outraged at the thought of paying more than $40 for a sports jersey, I wish the thought of paying more than $1000 for any individual sporting event, would be considered asinine, unless your favorite sports star delivered you beer during the game... while his girlfriend blew you.

Yep...$300 bucks for a couple laker tickets (hardly great ones, btw)...but that's just the start. You got your $30 parking. Your $12 beers your $90 jerseys. Never mind clothing or any of that.....your down almost $500 bucks after you and a buddy catch a game with a few beers, and some nachos.

Only to have the star player 'rest'.

I too am ready to see the bottom fall out. I wish fans would stand up and tell these leagues to stick it. It'd literally take like 3 games to get these franchises to completely cave. Just nobody go to a basketball game until prices drop to a 3rd of the cost.

I say that....but truth is, people buy the tickets and resell them at a crazy profit, cause people want them. So like you said....we do this to ourselves.
Landsberger
General Manager

Post#8 » by Landsberger » Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:13 pm

Keep and eye on the NFL. Right now they are not showing the stadiums from camera angles that can show how many seats are empty. For a lot of teams they are playing in front of crowds less than 2/3's full.... some less than that. That league has poor leadership and has managed to alienate a large portion of its fan base with both the cost of fandom as well as the ever creeping connection to the political mess we have in this country. The NBA is not there yet but trending. The costs are crazy if you take into account the number of games as well. I'm over here in PHX and the team sucks..... gets no attendance but still costs $160 for a decent seat if the Lakers are in town..... and they haven't been that good either.

Our society seems preoccupied when a CEO gets $25M but looks the other way when it's a sports star or a movie star. At least the CEO makes decisions the can employ and enrich the lives of people.... Sports stars and Movie stars keep spas, high end clothing stores and exotic car dealers in business I guess.....
tamaraw08
Analyst
And1: 1,289

Post#9 » by tamaraw08 » Fri Oct 4, 2019 6:01 pm

Landsberger wrote:Keep and eye on the NFL. Right now they are not showing the stadiums from camera angles that can show how many seats are empty. For a lot of teams they are playing in front of crowds less than 2/3's full.... some less than that. That league has poor leadership and has managed to alienate a large portion of its fan base with both the cost of fandom as well as the ever creeping connection to the political mess we have in this country. The NBA is not there yet but trending. The costs are crazy if you take into account the number of games as well. I'm over here in PHX and the team sucks..... gets no attendance but still costs $160 for a decent seat if the Lakers are in town..... and they haven't been that good either.

Our society seems preoccupied when a CEO gets $25M but looks the other way when it's a sports star or a movie star. At least the CEO makes decisions the can employ and enrich the lives of people.... Sports stars and Movie stars keep spas, high end clothing stores and exotic car dealers in business I guess.....

I find it shocking that a Clipper sales rep has been calling me, leaving messages almost everyday if I want to buy tickets for their games. :o With Kawhi, PG etc and they are asking if I want tickets, this will never happen with the Lakers unless of course if there are not stars left.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,749

Post#10 » by madmaxmedia » Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:38 pm

tamaraw08 wrote:

Great post overall but the treatment with a crazy spoiled guy and a player who never broke the law and who waited for free agency to choose where he wants to play should be different.
I hated KD for abandoning OKC and joining a 73 win team but at least he or his agent didn't pressure his present team to trade him.
What George did was way overboard esp after just signiing a 4 year contract.
I felt AD waited too long to finally make the request but his agent going public was wrong. Yes, Orleans would rather have 1-4 players in return instead of simply waiting for his actual free agency to bolt out but doing it in public puts his team in great pressure to accept a lower offer from other teams.
It is my opinion that no guy over 20 should be buying and wearing anybody's jersey or endorsed shoes.

KD was a bad example, he literally did nothing wrong except fake burner Twitter accounts.

I don't think AD did anything wrong either in that he publicly made it clear he still wanted to play for NO while he was under contract. But he's a better example than KD who merely signed with a different team in free agency.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers