ImageImageImageImageImage

2019-2020 Trade Ideas Thread

Moderators: Danny Darko, TyCobb, Kilroy

ROballer
Head Coach
Posts: 6,997
And1: 1,248
Joined: Sep 06, 2009
Location: Romania
   

Re: 2019-2020 Trade Ideas Thread 

Post#41 » by ROballer » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:13 pm

He got greedy thinking he would get more after the first one year deal, but he got a massive reality check. Severely overestimated his play and skills.
Basically every dime he got after that first year check was because of his agent and the plan we had in play with Lebron/Davis. After we secure the long-term Davis deal he'll be thrown away as a used diaper.
Steve Nash injures his back while carrying bags

Slava wrote:I pulled a hammy while fapping. I won't make fun of Nash.
Landsberger
Head Coach
Posts: 7,253
And1: 1,517
Joined: Jul 04, 2016
 

Re: 2019-2020 Trade Ideas Thread 

Post#42 » by Landsberger » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:15 pm

ROballer wrote:At 26 you think he's playing for vet mins and championships? Because as a benchwarmer that's what's he's getting.

And he played for Detroit, started there for 3 straight years and he played 34 mpg, while getting around 14 ppg. Get your damn facts straight. He got paid because he had a role(people actually saw him play), was relatively young(still having upside)and he had connections with Rich Paul which we needed.
As soon as Davis is on board we don't need this bum ass anymore.

"You play the game to win". :lol: :lol: :lol: I know you're kinda old based on your stories here, but you need to get out of the 80's.
No player in their 20's will willingly sacrifice their guaranteed dollars for wins. When they don't have a choice sure. KCP does though.


Ageist crap aside.... You say NBA minimum... . he's making $8M today and $8.4M next year. Being part of a playoff team earns bonuses... winning a championship earns bonuses. He has the CHOICE to stay here and do that. Right now he's part of the rotation and looks like he will be part of the rotation going forward. Why does he leave that? On top of that he and Bron are close... so close in fact that he's been widely overpaid just to be here. I'd think that whatever force got him $17M for a year and another $17 for 2 more would also be in force after this contract is up. My guess is that he'd do anything NOT to leave this situation and the proof is irrefutable that he's been paid more here than he'd have gotten anywhere else.
ROballer
Head Coach
Posts: 6,997
And1: 1,248
Joined: Sep 06, 2009
Location: Romania
   

Re: 2019-2020 Trade Ideas Thread 

Post#43 » by ROballer » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:28 pm

He got paid because of Rich Paul, not because of his skills. And yes, he got paid better than he would have been somewhere else, we can agree on that.


He's part of the rotation because we have/had injuries on our team. When we will be at full strength he WILL NOT be a part of the rotation, judging by the games in which we had close to the full roster and he barely played.

Not to mention we will still be buyers on the buyout market, and the fact that come playoff time the rotation is severely shortened.
Point, blank, period. Easily.
If he "wants to win" he'll be a Patrick McCaw at best for this team.

He has a PO for next year, which he can exercise on every team he's a part of. That 8.4 mil is the only guarantee he's got.
But if he isn't playing this year(and the signs were already there), what would make him(or you for that matter) think he will play meaningful minutes next year(contract year if he doesn't opt out)? You think winning a championship(potentially), while warming the bench is satisfying enough for a guy in his mid 20's? A guy who was paid 18-12-8 million a year in his last 3?
You think he'll give that up to be a Patrick McCaw? I don't think so...
Steve Nash injures his back while carrying bags

Slava wrote:I pulled a hammy while fapping. I won't make fun of Nash.
ROballer
Head Coach
Posts: 6,997
And1: 1,248
Joined: Sep 06, 2009
Location: Romania
   

Re: 2019-2020 Trade Ideas Thread 

Post#44 » by ROballer » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:43 pm

And we left out the most important part..

If a player finds out he's no longer wanted(traded), you think he's exercising a NT clause? :lol: :lol: When did that ever happened with a player at his caliber? Because there were plenty of guys having similar contract situations. I don't recall any..
I mean if he's a star, has a multi-year contract guaranteed then maybe. If not, out of sheer pride alone he'll let the damn thing follow through.

Even out of pure fear alone if not pride. We have the option to be bullies here. Oh, you wanna go the NT route? Fine, you stay but you won't sniff the court ever again.
Steve Nash injures his back while carrying bags

Slava wrote:I pulled a hammy while fapping. I won't make fun of Nash.
Landsberger
Head Coach
Posts: 7,253
And1: 1,517
Joined: Jul 04, 2016
 

Re: 2019-2020 Trade Ideas Thread 

Post#45 » by Landsberger » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:48 pm

ROballer wrote:And we left out the most important part..

If a player finds out he's no longer wanted(traded), you think he's exercising a NT clause? :lol: :lol: When did that ever happened with a player at his caliber? Because there were plenty of guys having similar contract situations. I don't recall any..
I mean if he's a star, has a multi-year contract guaranteed then maybe. If not, out of sheer pride alone he'll let the damn thing follow through.

Even out of pure fear alone if not pride. We have the option to be bullies here. Oh, you wanna go the NT route? Fine, you stay but you won't sniff the court ever again.


Believe me I want to trade him as much as you do. I just don't think a team that goes around telling players you agree to a trade or we'll never play you again (aside from violating the collective bargaining agreement and a lot of labor laws) is conducive to keeping a team together.

As for not wanted.... How do you know he's not wanted by the people who actually count. He got $17M 5 months ago from them for 2 years. Seems pretty wanted to me. I want to be not wanted that much.
ROballer
Head Coach
Posts: 6,997
And1: 1,248
Joined: Sep 06, 2009
Location: Romania
   

Re: 2019-2020 Trade Ideas Thread 

Post#46 » by ROballer » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:56 pm

If you make him a part of a trade that means you're not wanted, no?

Well not really, in this scenario we would need his salary more but to a guy I think that's what will feel like, when you tell him he's traded...that he's not wanted anymore.
The threatening part would not be directly of course, but considering you already had situations in which you didn't play much, goes without telling a NT call by you(especially in a proposed deal like mine, which will land a Paul caliber player) will pretty much bury you on this team.
You are not obligated to play any player, and no CBA can force you to do that. You think the certain player has no particular value and doesn't deserve to play and that's it, end of story.

The money he got, again, were largely due to the Lebron/Davis/Rich Paul triangle. Not by his play.
Under no other circumstances he would have gotten close to the same deal.
Steve Nash injures his back while carrying bags

Slava wrote:I pulled a hammy while fapping. I won't make fun of Nash.
nzahir
Veteran
Posts: 2,920
And1: 1,189
Joined: Nov 04, 2017

Re: 2019-2020 Trade Ideas Thread 

Post#47 » by nzahir » Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:02 am

I would think on REALGM that some of you would know the basics of salary matching, but I guess not

Please at least attempt to try or google something before making a dumb trade idea that isn't mathematically possible.
User avatar
snaquille oatmeal
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 15,218
And1: 2,781
Joined: Nov 15, 2005
Location: San Diego
   

Re: 2019-2020 Trade Ideas Thread 

Post#48 » by snaquille oatmeal » Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:40 am

nzahir wrote:I would think on REALGM that some of you would know the basics of salary matching, but I guess not

Please at least attempt to try or google something before making a dumb trade idea that isn't mathematically possible.

Yeah, the realgm trade checker is a useful tool.
Forum permissions
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot trade for basketball reasons in this forum
You cannot but I can...five rings!
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 57,880
And1: 29,109
Joined: Oct 15, 2006
Location: KĂžbenhavn
     

Re: 2019-2020 Trade Ideas Thread 

Post#49 » by Slava » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:32 pm

The lack of matching salaries is a real problem. Kuz for Dragic as the main parts of a trade could be very appealing, unfortunately Lakers cannot cobble together a package without bundling 3-4 players who are essential in the rotation.
:king:
Dmagic
Sophomore
Posts: 200
And1: 57
Joined: Apr 12, 2019
     

Re: 2019-2020 Trade Ideas Thread 

Post#50 » by Dmagic » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:22 pm

the upside of a kcp and kuzma package should be able to buy us some instant talent. but--patience is key.. ive talked myself into believing in them.

we have every ingredient to be a great team.
the problem is the pressure lebron brings when every bucket is ultra important down the stretch. our flow is what we need to work on

and trust .

BUT the clippers are scary offensively the new warriors
Showtime:Part2
General Manager
Posts: 8,168
And1: 400
Joined: Jul 12, 2003

Re: 2019-2020 Trade Ideas Thread 

Post#51 » by Showtime:Part2 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:04 am

how is the buyout market so pathetic this year. nobody gettin bot out.
Warspite:

Prince + filler for Kobe Bryant
To be honest the way Prince has played and with Kobes injury/age/mileage Im not sure I would do that deal either. Still Prince is more important and he wins the head to head battles with Kobe.
nzahir
Veteran
Posts: 2,920
And1: 1,189
Joined: Nov 04, 2017

Re: 2019-2020 Trade Ideas Thread 

Post#52 » by nzahir » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:33 am

Slava wrote:The lack of matching salaries is a real problem. Kuz for Dragic as the main parts of a trade could be very appealing, unfortunately Lakers cannot cobble together a package without bundling 3-4 players who are essential in the rotation.

Unfortunate how this worked out. And we shouldn't move Danny Green I think. Maybe if we had Iggy as a buyout. But even then, elite 3 pt shooter who plays very good team d and almost very good individual d on the right personal (cant guard those quicker guards too well I think).

Kuzma for FVV or Bogdan is the only thing I really see rn that makes sense.

Helps shooting and adds the 3rd shot creator we really need.

Kuzma is close to being 3rd shot creator, but he is better off the ball and at times can be that guy.

But we need that consistent guy who can also shoot it.

Screw future cap space. Someone get this out to Rob and Jeanie please
User avatar
Dr Aki
RealGM
Posts: 26,577
And1: 12,111
Joined: Mar 03, 2008
Location: Sydney, Australia
   

Re: 2019-2020 Trade Ideas Thread 

Post#53 » by Dr Aki » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:19 am

Spurs trade:
Patty Mills (12.4 mil, 13.3 mil) for

Lakers trade:
Quinn Cook (3.0 mil, 1.0 mil guaranteed for 2020/21)
Demarcus Cousins (3.5 mil exp, straight waive)
Troy Daniels (1.6 mil exp - waive or routed to a third team most likely)
Cash considerations for waives

Why for Spurs
Spurs trade Mills because Mills is the 4th best paid player on the Spurs, but only plays the 7th most minutes on the team. Spurs instead get a career >40% 3pt shooter and get a good look at him and can simply waive him as his 2020/21 contract is only guaranteed for 1.0 mil.

Overall, the Spurs save roughly 4.0 mil this season (more if a third team takes on Daniels), roughly 10.3 to 12.3 mil next season depending on if they want to keep Cook, open up playing time for their future guard rotation of Murray, Forbes, White, Walker (<5.0 mpg) and even Keldon Johnson (who's only played 2 minutes, but looks like an interesting athletic 3&D player)

Why for Lakers
Lakers move Quinn Cook and Troy Daniels, both are 40% 3pt career shooters that are struggling to break into the Lakers guard rotation of Bradley/Rondo/Caruso and Green/KCP.

This gives them a guard that isn't afraid to launch threes off the dribble. Mills offer a lot more than Cook does as he can also handle the ball. Mills also has plenty of playoff experience, can't ever not have enough of that. Patty Mills' contract also runs until the end of 2020/21 and thus, will not jeopardise the 2021 FA game plan.

Cousins and Daniels are basically salary filler to create a legal trade. Trading 3 for 1 also allows the Lakers to keep extra slots open for when coveted vets come onto the market.
Image
SweetTouch
RealGM
Posts: 19,328
And1: 2,326
Joined: Mar 29, 2010
Location: Fl

Re: 2019-2020 Trade Ideas Thread 

Post#54 » by SweetTouch » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:46 am

Operation get someone that can run LBJ plays as in handling the rock and is not a liability on the offensive end

We need a play maker
Stop being so disrespectful.
Dmagic
Sophomore
Posts: 200
And1: 57
Joined: Apr 12, 2019
     

Re: 2019-2020 Trade Ideas Thread 

Post#55 » by Dmagic » Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:35 pm

I dont agree that we need a third playmaker bc we do have them--it could be kcp--danny green- ab- caruso- kuzma on any given night.
Just bc someone is doing good on another team doesnt mean that they will once they arrive in la.
User avatar
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 13,162
And1: 12,484
Joined: Jul 13, 2014

Re: 2019-2020 Trade Ideas Thread 

Post#56 » by zimpy27 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:26 pm

Ideally they need Kuzma to be a 6th man that runs the offense. He isn't that and I don't know where they find that.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
User avatar
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 13,162
And1: 12,484
Joined: Jul 13, 2014

Re: 2019-2020 Trade Ideas Thread 

Post#57 » by zimpy27 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:08 pm

Dr Aki wrote:Spurs trade:
Patty Mills (12.4 mil, 13.3 mil) for

Lakers trade:
Quinn Cook (3.0 mil, 1.0 mil guaranteed for 2020/21)
Demarcus Cousins (3.5 mil exp, straight waive)
Troy Daniels (1.6 mil exp - waive or routed to a third team most likely)
Cash considerations for waives

Why for Spurs
Spurs trade Mills because Mills is the 4th best paid player on the Spurs, but only plays the 7th most minutes on the team. Spurs instead get a career >40% 3pt shooter and get a good look at him and can simply waive him as his 2020/21 contract is only guaranteed for 1.0 mil.

Overall, the Spurs save roughly 4.0 mil this season (more if a third team takes on Daniels), roughly 10.3 to 12.3 mil next season depending on if they want to keep Cook, open up playing time for their future guard rotation of Murray, Forbes, White, Walker (<5.0 mpg) and even Keldon Johnson (who's only played 2 minutes, but looks like an interesting athletic 3&D player)

Why for Lakers
Lakers move Quinn Cook and Troy Daniels, both are 40% 3pt career shooters that are struggling to break into the Lakers guard rotation of Bradley/Rondo/Caruso and Green/KCP.

This gives them a guard that isn't afraid to launch threes off the dribble. Mills offer a lot more than Cook does as he can also handle the ball. Mills also has plenty of playoff experience, can't ever not have enough of that. Patty Mills' contract also runs until the end of 2020/21 and thus, will not jeopardise the 2021 FA game plan.

Cousins and Daniels are basically salary filler to create a legal trade. Trading 3 for 1 also allows the Lakers to keep extra slots open for when coveted vets come onto the market.


I agree with moving one from Daniels, Dudley and Cousins but Cook has been apart of some great lineups for the Lakers. He leads the team +/- per 100. He hasn't shot well but his movement has been useful and his defense isn't as bad as originally thought.
Image
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
User avatar
Dr Aki
RealGM
Posts: 26,577
And1: 12,111
Joined: Mar 03, 2008
Location: Sydney, Australia
   

Re: 2019-2020 Trade Ideas Thread 

Post#58 » by Dr Aki » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:40 pm

zimpy27 wrote:
Dr Aki wrote:Spurs trade:
Patty Mills (12.4 mil, 13.3 mil) for

Lakers trade:
Quinn Cook (3.0 mil, 1.0 mil guaranteed for 2020/21)
Demarcus Cousins (3.5 mil exp, straight waive)
Troy Daniels (1.6 mil exp - waive or routed to a third team most likely)
Cash considerations for waives

Why for Spurs
Spurs trade Mills because Mills is the 4th best paid player on the Spurs, but only plays the 7th most minutes on the team. Spurs instead get a career >40% 3pt shooter and get a good look at him and can simply waive him as his 2020/21 contract is only guaranteed for 1.0 mil.

Overall, the Spurs save roughly 4.0 mil this season (more if a third team takes on Daniels), roughly 10.3 to 12.3 mil next season depending on if they want to keep Cook, open up playing time for their future guard rotation of Murray, Forbes, White, Walker (<5.0 mpg) and even Keldon Johnson (who's only played 2 minutes, but looks like an interesting athletic 3&D player)

Why for Lakers
Lakers move Quinn Cook and Troy Daniels, both are 40% 3pt career shooters that are struggling to break into the Lakers guard rotation of Bradley/Rondo/Caruso and Green/KCP.

This gives them a guard that isn't afraid to launch threes off the dribble. Mills offer a lot more than Cook does as he can also handle the ball. Mills also has plenty of playoff experience, can't ever not have enough of that. Patty Mills' contract also runs until the end of 2020/21 and thus, will not jeopardise the 2021 FA game plan.

Cousins and Daniels are basically salary filler to create a legal trade. Trading 3 for 1 also allows the Lakers to keep extra slots open for when coveted vets come onto the market.


I agree with moving one from Daniels, Dudley and Cousins but Cook has been apart of some great lineups for the Lakers. He leads the team +/- per 100. He hasn't shot well but his movement has been useful and his defense isn't as bad as originally thought.
Image


The minimum outgoing salary to trade for Mills is 7.43 million dollars.

That's why Cook is in the deal. Unless you'd prefer to trade Bradley or Caruso instead.

I'm always hesitant to trade KCP and any other guard/wing defenders because we need as many 3&D guys in the playoffs.
Image
User avatar
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 13,162
And1: 12,484
Joined: Jul 13, 2014

Re: 2019-2020 Trade Ideas Thread 

Post#59 » by zimpy27 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:25 pm

Dr Aki wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:
Dr Aki wrote:Spurs trade:
Patty Mills (12.4 mil, 13.3 mil) for

Lakers trade:
Quinn Cook (3.0 mil, 1.0 mil guaranteed for 2020/21)
Demarcus Cousins (3.5 mil exp, straight waive)
Troy Daniels (1.6 mil exp - waive or routed to a third team most likely)
Cash considerations for waives

Why for Spurs
Spurs trade Mills because Mills is the 4th best paid player on the Spurs, but only plays the 7th most minutes on the team. Spurs instead get a career >40% 3pt shooter and get a good look at him and can simply waive him as his 2020/21 contract is only guaranteed for 1.0 mil.

Overall, the Spurs save roughly 4.0 mil this season (more if a third team takes on Daniels), roughly 10.3 to 12.3 mil next season depending on if they want to keep Cook, open up playing time for their future guard rotation of Murray, Forbes, White, Walker (<5.0 mpg) and even Keldon Johnson (who's only played 2 minutes, but looks like an interesting athletic 3&D player)

Why for Lakers
Lakers move Quinn Cook and Troy Daniels, both are 40% 3pt career shooters that are struggling to break into the Lakers guard rotation of Bradley/Rondo/Caruso and Green/KCP.

This gives them a guard that isn't afraid to launch threes off the dribble. Mills offer a lot more than Cook does as he can also handle the ball. Mills also has plenty of playoff experience, can't ever not have enough of that. Patty Mills' contract also runs until the end of 2020/21 and thus, will not jeopardise the 2021 FA game plan.

Cousins and Daniels are basically salary filler to create a legal trade. Trading 3 for 1 also allows the Lakers to keep extra slots open for when coveted vets come onto the market.


I agree with moving one from Daniels, Dudley and Cousins but Cook has been apart of some great lineups for the Lakers. He leads the team +/- per 100. He hasn't shot well but his movement has been useful and his defense isn't as bad as originally thought.
Image


The minimum outgoing salary to trade for Mills is 7.43 million dollars.

That's why Cook is in the deal. Unless you'd prefer to trade Bradley or Caruso instead.

I'm always hesitant to trade KCP and any other guard/wing defenders because we need as many 3&D guys in the playoffs.


I wouldn't trade KCP either.

Right now I'd trade Dudley, Daniels, Cousins, Rondo and Kuzma.

I'd want a bench leader coming back for all that.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
User avatar
Dr Aki
RealGM
Posts: 26,577
And1: 12,111
Joined: Mar 03, 2008
Location: Sydney, Australia
   

Re: 2019-2020 Trade Ideas Thread 

Post#60 » by Dr Aki » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:33 pm

zimpy27 wrote:
Dr Aki wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:
I agree with moving one from Daniels, Dudley and Cousins but Cook has been apart of some great lineups for the Lakers. He leads the team +/- per 100. He hasn't shot well but his movement has been useful and his defense isn't as bad as originally thought.
Image


The minimum outgoing salary to trade for Mills is 7.43 million dollars.

That's why Cook is in the deal. Unless you'd prefer to trade Bradley or Caruso instead.

I'm always hesitant to trade KCP and any other guard/wing defenders because we need as many 3&D guys in the playoffs.


I wouldn't trade KCP either.

Right now I'd trade Dudley, Daniels, Cousins, Rondo and Kuzma.

I'd want a bench leader coming back for all that.


Rondo has to waive his de facto NTC. I doubt that happens.

Kuz I wouldn't give up, not for Mills. THT maybe.

Throwing too many players the Spurs' way also complicates things because they don't have any open spots either and then a third team definitely has to become involved.

Plus, I doubt the sort of bench leader we'd be truly happy with would be available for that package
Image

Return to Los Angeles Lakers