ImageImageImageImageImage

Roster similarities: 2010 Kobe/Pau vs 2020 LBJ/AD Teams

Moderators: Danny Darko, TyCobb, Kilroy

Which Lakers team wins in a 7 Game series?

Poll ended at Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:11 am

2010 Lakers:
6
43%
Kobe, Pau, MWP, Fish, Bynum
4
29%
6th man: Lamar
1
7%
2020 Lakers:
2
14%
LBJ, AD, Green, Bradley, Dwight,
1
7%
6th man: Kuz
0
No votes
 
Total votes: 14

User avatar
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 51,945
And1: 11,253
Joined: Aug 02, 2005
     

Re: Roster similarities: 2010 Kobe/Pau vs 2020 LBJ/AD Teams 

Post#21 » by dockingsched » Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:17 pm

XXBKXX wrote:Talking with my buddies we all noticed how eerily similar this roster construction is vs the 2010 Lakers.

2010 vs 2020 Lakers:

Kobe vs LBJ
Pau vs AD
MWP vs DGreen
Fisher vs Avery Bradley
Bynum vs Dwight

6th man:
Lamar vs Kuz

Both teams have solid defense and can take the twin towers approach. Then they can also go "small" with AD and Pau at 5 with Kuz and LO at the 4. As the 6th man, both Kuz and LO bring fire from the bench. LBJ and Kobe are also both older in their careers (respectively) but still killing it.





Sent from my SM-N950U using RealGM mobile app


I think this is a really good comparison as to the construction of both teams, something I had also noticed at the start of the season.

Both are relying heavily on being led by a star wing and big while surrounding them with similar style role players and similarly versatile X factors.

I think the biggest difference is Lamar Odom. While some would probably want to think of Kuzma as filling that role, that really underestimates how important Lamar was and how his ball handling, rebounding and defensive excellence was a key to the Lakers winning.

It’ll be really fun to see if they can replicate the same level of success.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
Posts: 35,971
And1: 18,656
Joined: Feb 06, 2007
Location: Clearing space in the trophy case.

Re: Roster similarities: 2010 Kobe/Pau vs 2020 LBJ/AD Teams 

Post#22 » by Sedale Threatt » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:31 pm

dockingsched wrote:
XXBKXX wrote:Talking with my buddies we all noticed how eerily similar this roster construction is vs the 2010 Lakers.

2010 vs 2020 Lakers:

Kobe vs LBJ
Pau vs AD
MWP vs DGreen
Fisher vs Avery Bradley
Bynum vs Dwight

6th man:
Lamar vs Kuz

Both teams have solid defense and can take the twin towers approach. Then they can also go "small" with AD and Pau at 5 with Kuz and LO at the 4. As the 6th man, both Kuz and LO bring fire from the bench. LBJ and Kobe are also both older in their careers (respectively) but still killing it.





Sent from my SM-N950U using RealGM mobile app


I think this is a really good comparison as to the construction of both teams, something I had also noticed at the start of the season.

Both are relying heavily on being led by a star wing and big while surrounding them with similar style role players and similarly versatile X factors.

I think the biggest difference is Lamar Odom. While some would probably want to think of Kuzma as filling that role, that really underestimates how important Lamar was and how his ball handling, rebounding and defensive excellence was a key to the Lakers winning.

It’ll be really fun to see if they can replicate the same level of success.


Once you accepted who Lamar was instead of wishing what he could be with a more assertive personality, he really was a quality player. Other than maybe Coop, the best 6th man we've ever had.

One thing about that 09-10 team, I'm always surprised looking back that we won 65 games. For all the success we've had over the years, we've only ever gotten to that threshold four times, and looking at that roster on paper, it doesn't feel like that would be one of them. (Indeed, B-R has them overachieving by four games.) But the main pieces really complemented each other, we had a ton of experience and great leadership and were outstanding on both ends. A case example of great chemistry and cohesion.
"Is Donald Trump an intellectual? Trust me. I’m, like, a smart person" - Donald Trump

"Suck it, and keep on sucking" - Diego Maradona

"Don't ask me for my autograph. Ask me about the rage that's inside of me" - Dennis Scott
Landsberger
Head Coach
Posts: 7,253
And1: 1,517
Joined: Jul 04, 2016
 

Re: Roster similarities: 2010 Kobe/Pau vs 2020 LBJ/AD Teams 

Post#23 » by Landsberger » Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:17 am

No other players in Laker's history frustrated me as much as Lamar and Horry. While they were key to our wins they also wasted immense talent. Kuzma's dedication to basketball is above both of them.... the results and talent maybe not but this is his first shot to be part of a legit team. For me the jury is still out on him.
User avatar
jigga_man
Analyst
Posts: 3,688
And1: 1,598
Joined: Jul 02, 2004
Location: ...breakfast table in an otherwise empty room
 

Re: Roster similarities: 2010 Kobe/Pau vs 2020 LBJ/AD Teams 

Post#24 » by jigga_man » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:52 am

09 Lakers rule all 8-)
User avatar
dAdo dA dEvil
Rookie
Posts: 1,212
And1: 351
Joined: Jun 27, 2013
 

Re: Roster similarities: 2010 Kobe/Pau vs 2020 LBJ/AD Teams 

Post#25 » by dAdo dA dEvil » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:29 pm

Landsberger wrote:No other players in Laker's history frustrated me as much as Lamar and Horry. While they were key to our wins they also wasted immense talent. Kuzma's dedication to basketball is above both of them.... the results and talent maybe not but this is his first shot to be part of a legit team. For me the jury is still out on him.


No disrespect ... but, Let's say that Kuz's dedication to basketball is above both of them, still, I can't place Lamar and Horry with Kuz in the same sentence with it comes to basketball at this point. Lamar and Horry found what they meant to be in basketball . One as a versatile sixth man while the other one is a lucky clutch player. Kuz is not proven at this point. If he comes the same level or exceeds them both them I would be happy.
Landsberger
Head Coach
Posts: 7,253
And1: 1,517
Joined: Jul 04, 2016
 

Re: Roster similarities: 2010 Kobe/Pau vs 2020 LBJ/AD Teams 

Post#26 » by Landsberger » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:49 pm

dAdo dA dEvil wrote:
Landsberger wrote:No other players in Laker's history frustrated me as much as Lamar and Horry. While they were key to our wins they also wasted immense talent. Kuzma's dedication to basketball is above both of them.... the results and talent maybe not but this is his first shot to be part of a legit team. For me the jury is still out on him.


No disrespect ... but, Let's say that Kuz's dedication to basketball is above both of them, still, I can't place Lamar and Horry with Kuz in the same sentence with it comes to basketball at this point. Lamar and Horry found what they meant to be in basketball . One as a versatile sixth man while the other one is a lucky clutch player. Kuz is not proven at this point. If he comes the same level or exceeds them both them I would be happy.


Hmmm ... Doesn't seem like anyone can put put two players in the same idea and not have someone completely misunderstand the statement and think I was comparing them.

I shouldn't have to do this but: My point about Horry and Lamar was that they had a ton more talent than Kuz has shown but less dedication to practicing their craft (at least from what I know). Neither Horry or Lamar did anything without at least one other super star on their team.... or in their cases 2. Lamar would have been a draft failure if he was forced to be a primary player on a team. Horry has a similar path. They played well in their rolls when they got to big games but neither led a team to big games.

Who knows where Kuz will end up but my guess is that if he keeps trying he can win a couple chips here and maybe make a few big shots like Horry and maybe be a reliable presence off the bench to boot. Not sure why this is controversial.

I thought it was pretty obvious that looking back on Lamar and Horry's career vs looking at Kuz at year 2.1 was not trying to compare them but I guess not.

As for "disrespect".... when you start off with that you really mean it.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
Posts: 17,186
And1: 7,559
Joined: Jul 10, 2006
Location: The Motel 9 in Vegas
       

Re: Roster similarities: 2010 Kobe/Pau vs 2020 LBJ/AD Teams 

Post#27 » by Kilroy » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:39 pm

I always thought LO was over-rated by Lakers fans... I actually see the comparison to Kuz although I do think Lamar was more talented and versatile... The similarity for me has to do with impact... I just remember getting super frustrated with Odom, because in the games we really needed him to step up, he always seemed to disappear. He'd always contribute, but I always felt like it wasn't when we really needed it...
Kuz has been kind of the same... Although he seems to be getting more consistent now.

Horry was Ok on D, but pretty much useless on offense, until it was time for a cold-blooded 3... That's not Kuz. He's never shown that spark for being klutch at this point. And I'll take a guy who doesn't do a whole lot all game but wins it for us in the last seconds, every time.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers