Thoughts on Rondo so far?

Moderators: Danny Darko, Kilroy, TyCobb

Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,677

Re: Thoughts on Rondo so far? 

Post#61 » by Dupp » Thu Dec 5, 2019 3:37 pm

snaquille oatmeal wrote:
Dupp wrote:He’s still been real bad all season. Borderline worst defender in the nba.

Also for a “playmaker” he’s really slow at decision making a lot of the time.

He’s had a couple of good games but he’s still not good.

I guess from a Clippers fan pout of view we should permanently load manage him.

Not a clippers fan sorry but yeah thatd make lakers better most likely.

Any of rondos minutes that overlap with brons should go to Caruso
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#62 » by Kilroy » Thu Dec 5, 2019 10:33 pm

The only real thing that's been an low-key positive for him this season, outside of the last game, has been his shooting from 3.

Other than that... See the responses from before last night.

Need to see a few more games like last night before I call Rondo anything more than a deep bench option.

That said, on our team, he's 2nd or or 3rd PG... Because it's either him or Cook/daniels...
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
kblo247
RealGM
And1: 2,130

Post#63 » by kblo247 » Fri Dec 6, 2019 7:12 am

Kilroy wrote:The only real thing that's been an low-key positive for him this season, outside of the last game, has been his shooting from 3.

Need to see a few more games like last night before I call Rondo anything more than a deep bench option.

That said, on our team, he's 2nd or or 3rd PG... Because it's either him or Cook/daniels...

Last year .... This year = Defensive efficiencies year to date. To say he is not playing D is a bit of stretch by far. He's improved. Hell most the team has.

102.4 - 95.5 caruso
107.6 - 101.7 lebron
109.9 - 100.5 kuzma
110.1 - 102.9 davis
110.1 - 104.4 kcp
111.1 - 104.7 javale
112.3 - 100.9 rondo

And lets take it a step farther:

Lakers are a +9.3 w/Rondo on the floor this season.

The defense slips just slightly 104.9 vs 104.4. But the offense takes a jump to 114.1 from 112.5 (per 100 possessions).

Rondo w/LeBron this season: +17.7 versus Last season: -4.8

PRE-determined Narrative says what? MAybe just maybe Rondo is playing better, Bron is engaged, and Vogle having a guy like Kidd on his team to help them as opposed to Walton having no one to help direct the two of them helps

Icing on Cake: Rondo is shooting a career-high effective field goal percentage of 55.9% and draining his 3-point attempts at 50% clip (34 total attempts). Per Synergy, Rondo is in the 100th percentile in unguarded catch-and-shoot 3-point efficiency with 2.5 points per 100 possessions.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,538

Post#64 » by stan francisco » Fri Dec 6, 2019 2:53 pm

Maybe last year’s stats were rendered useless/inconsequential post Christmas game? Don’t know, just sayin’...

Eye test told me that Rondo played great leading up to that Xmas day game against GSW that we won by 28. I was thrilled with him, actually. On both ends. He was the architect of the GSW kryptonite in that game. Then injuries to all important players and a fractured locker room due to Klutch. Garbage time in March isn’t worth sacrificing your knees for at his age, I agree with him. He jogged home last season.

Trying to draw conclusions from stats without all its relevant context considered first, is a total waste of time.

Come playoffs time, the haters will sing his praise.

Edit: like everyone else, I can’t #%^* stand watching him idle on defense while the opponent scores... But with him, it’s more about knees than ability or smarts. He will come through in every big game.
tamaraw08
Analyst
And1: 1,235

Post#65 » by tamaraw08 » Fri Dec 6, 2019 4:05 pm

kblo247 wrote:
Kilroy wrote:The only real thing that's been an low-key positive for him this season, outside of the last game, has been his shooting from 3.

Last year .... This year = Defensive efficiencies year to date. To say he is not playing D is a bit of stretch by far. He's improved. Hell most the team has.

102.4 - 95.5 caruso
107.6 - 101.7 lebron
109.9 - 100.5 kuzma
110.1 - 102.9 davis
110.1 - 104.4 kcp
111.1 - 104.7 javale
112.3 - 100.9 rondo

And lets take it a step farther:

Lakers are a +9.3 w/Rondo on the floor this season.

The defense slips just slightly 104.9 vs 104.4. But the offense takes a jump to 114.1 from 112.5 (per 100 possessions).

Rondo w/LeBron this season: +17.7 versus Last season: -4.8

PRE-determined Narrative says what? MAybe just maybe Rondo is playing better, Bron is engaged, and Vogle having a guy like Kidd on his team to help them as opposed to Walton having no one to help direct the two of them helps

Icing on Cake: Rondo is shooting a career-high effective field goal percentage of 55.9% and draining his 3-point attempts at 50% clip (34 total attempts). Per Synergy, Rondo is in the 100th percentile in unguarded catch-and-shoot 3-point efficiency with 2.5 points per 100 possessions.

Thanks for the info. I'm sure some here have doubts about the validity/accuracy of defensive stats etc but I keep watching the past games and REALLY see if he gets torch by the player he is guarding and somehow I have trouble spotting them. It really gets complicated bec of a ton of picks being set from the perimeter etc too....
I again find it silly when some fans here try to make it as a Caruso vs Rondo debate when it's clear that they all have specific roles for the team. There are things that AC can provide esp the ability to switch and guard 3 positions including 6-8 SFs but he can't really facilitate like Rondo does.
Even tho Rondo plays great with Lebron now, I still think he is most needed to facilitate and set up the offense when James is resting. Kuzma has been up and down, mostly down but I really think after 10+ games with Rondo, Howard, AC and Green, this 5, would be good enough to hold the fort while Lebron and AD are resting.
The 4 man combo of Rondo, AC, Kuzma and Howard currently has a +17.6 net rating https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/r/rondora01/lineups/2020, Vogel has been trying to put Daniels with them but I feel Green is more consistent plus he plays much better defense.
Hopefully Rondo can sustain his shooting accuracy and he can indeed play good defense.
tamaraw08
Analyst
And1: 1,235

Post#66 » by tamaraw08 » Fri Dec 6, 2019 10:12 pm

From ESPN's Zach Lowe's 10 things I like and don't like....
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28229609/ten-nba-things-like-including-rondo-lebron-combo
9. Rajon Rondo, fitting in
The Lakers took deserved heat for paying Rondo $9 million to do whatever it is he did for last season's mishmash of a team, but Rondo -- now on a two-year, $5.2 million deal -- has fit in surprisingly well for this new version.

The Lakers have walloped opponents by 16 points per 100 possessions with Rondo and LeBron on the floor, per NBA.com. That might not sustain once Rondo cools from deep. (He's shooting 50% on 3s.) There is inherent tension pairing LeBron with a shaky-shooting ball handler. Toss in a non-shooting center -- JaVale McGee or Dwight Howard -- and you are asking for droughts.

But Rondo's playmaking has helped those lineups flow. Rondo's genius has always shone most brightly when the game breaks from script -- when the initial set hasn't yielded anything, and the floor is jumbled. In moments of chaos, Rondo sees things -- passes, cuts, rebounding opportunities -- that elude most players.
Rondo is dishing 10.2 dimes per 36 minutes, on par with his All-Star peak.

It helps on this roster that Rondo is a daring and accurate post entry passer. He is not afraid to lob over fronting defenders to LeBron or Anthony Davis. Rondo is a willing screener for LeBron, and if defenders switch, LeBron shifts into bully-ball mode knowing Rondo will feed him.

Frank Vogel has experimented playing LeBron alongside both Rondo and Alex Caruso, and with so much ballhandling around him, LeBron occasionally morphs into the league's most devastating off-ball cutter.

The Lakers might experience some hiccups on offense as their schedule stiffens. Lineups with Rondo and Davis -- but no LeBron -- are dead even for the season. Rondo's defense remains uneven. But Rondo has been a helpful presence, and it has been a while since we've gotten to say that.
Rosque
Analyst
And1: 2,010

Post#67 » by Rosque » Fri Dec 6, 2019 10:19 pm

But when I say he's been the best since 2012 I'm an idiot. When Lowe says it it's the truth. Keyboard GM's.

@my signature.
"All these guys who run these organizations who talk about analytics, they have one thing in common: They're a bunch of guys who ain't never played the game, they never got the girls in high school, and they just want to get in the game."
Landsberger
General Manager
And1: 1,969

Post#68 » by Landsberger » Fri Dec 6, 2019 10:28 pm

Lowe pushes stats as predictive and is forced to now use the word "surprising" when it isn't really predictive..... :lol:
Spanish_Laker
Lead Assistant

Post#69 » by Spanish_Laker » Sat Dec 7, 2019 10:24 am

Any update on his injury? He was playing the best basketball of his career. Tough break.
Banned after 15 years in this forum for no reason. Farewell RealGM users
ILC
Starter
And1: 1,899

Post#70 » by ILC » Sat Dec 7, 2019 1:51 pm

Relax people, he played even better on a bigger sample with NOLA.
LarryBirdsFingr wrote:Redemption. Water into wine....rondo is Jesus
Rosque
Analyst

Post#71 » by Rosque » Sat Dec 7, 2019 4:36 pm

No he did not. He has better ws/48, better TS%, better oncourt +/- per 100, better on/off +/- per 100, better trb%, slightly lower ast%, better stl%, lower tov%, better OBPM, DBPM and overall BPM. And you can see all that statistical bs on court.
"All these guys who run these organizations who talk about analytics, they have one thing in common: They're a bunch of guys who ain't never played the game, they never got the girls in high school, and they just want to get in the game."
ILC
Starter
And1: 1,899

Post#72 » by ILC » Sat Dec 7, 2019 5:10 pm

Those numbers have soared past 3 games.

I watched every Nola game that year. They were incredible with Rondo as their leader, especially post ASB. If he keeps this going all year then we can talk.
LarryBirdsFingr wrote:Redemption. Water into wine....rondo is Jesus
kblo247
RealGM
And1: 2,130

Post#73 » by kblo247 » Sun Dec 8, 2019 3:15 am

stan francisco wrote:Maybe last year’s stats were rendered useless/inconsequential post Christmas game? Don’t know, just sayin’...

Eye test told me that Rondo played great leading up to that Xmas day game against GSW that we won by 28. I was thrilled with him, actually. On both ends. He was the architect of the GSW kryptonite in that game. Then injuries to all important players and a fractured locker room due to Klutch. Garbage time in March isn’t worth sacrificing your knees for at his age, I agree with him. He jogged home last season.

Trying to draw conclusions from stats without all its relevant context considered first, is a total waste of time.

Come playoffs time, the haters will sing his praise.

Edit: like everyone else, I can’t #%^* stand watching him idle on defense while the opponent scores... But with him, it’s more about knees than ability or smarts. He will come through in every big game.

Rondo hurt his hand and came back early with a wrapping on his hand and said himself he could never grip the ball right last year. Pre Christmas Rondo was the guy who ate up Portland, took over versus the Warriors, and outplayed Zo to be honest
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 40,835

Post#74 » by Sedale Threatt » Sun Dec 8, 2019 3:42 am

There's zero chance he keeps shooting this well, which is an enormous part of his value so far. But he's had some really solid performances since he came back, so credit where credit is due. I think back to when we had stiffs like Larry Drew as our backup PG, and he's certainly a big step up from that. Hope he continues.
Desiderium
Veteran
And1: 644

Post#75 » by Desiderium » Sun Dec 8, 2019 6:35 am

I think you guys are a little too hard on him. hes not as bad as we thought he'd be and is actually playing decent.
LeCalinou
Junior
And1: 121

Post#76 » by LeCalinou » Mon Dec 9, 2019 8:47 pm

LALifer49 wrote:I’m a bit divided on the guy at the moment, though I think trending positive overall. He’s putting up solid stats, seems to fairly consistently hit the offensive boards, and definitely fills a need. The biggest plus for him is he is hitting the 3 damn well. That said his holding the ball while doing nothing for long stretches is pretty annoying, especially when Davis and lbj are in, and I feel like he minimizes Kuzma at this point though I think Kuzma needs to define his role with the team more in general. I know there were a lot of reservations about rondo coming into the season and also a recognition we needed his skill set. So, thoughts?

I've always bot liked, and disliked him.
He makes the best of the situation, most of the time, playing within himself. I think he's grown to the point that his impact in the locker room is always positive, through behind-the-scenes interactions, so just take him for what he is.
A net positive when he's surrounded by players that have defined roles, not so much when younger players are not focused.
Beethoven
Head Coach
And1: 3,805

Post#77 » by Beethoven » Mon Dec 9, 2019 8:49 pm

He's going to be the first player to have won the championship both as a Laker and a Celtic.
Kobe Bryant forever
GO LAKERS
8-)
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,538

Post#78 » by stan francisco » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:08 pm

Everybody bags on his 3PT% even when it’s good. It’s been decent the last three years. Shot selection.
PG: D Lo / Reaves / Vincent(IL) / JHS
SG: Christie / Dinwiddie / Lewis / Mays
SF: LBJ / Prince / Reddish / Windler
PF: Rui / Vando(IL) / LBJ
CTR: AD / Hayes / Wood

Modern era NBA titles:
LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4
thomas1897
Junior
And1: 86

Post#79 » by thomas1897 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:23 pm

Does Rondo still have game and can he adjust to Lebron with the ball most of the time. If Rondo does have game and can make the adjustment required; he needs to come up with an accurate jump shot immediately.
evilpimp972
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,755

Post#80 » by evilpimp972 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:12 pm

stan francisco wrote:Everybody bags on his 3PT% even when it’s good. It’s been decent the last three years. Shot selection.

He also has the most wide open threes in the league. So yes it should be gone.

Anyway the honeymoon is over.
Tinseltown wrote:
True Story wrote:KD is the best player in the NBA.

Kevin Durant is a better scorer than Jordan

MJ was never this efficient

Return to Los Angeles Lakers