Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

NippySudz
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,460

Re: Game 28: Los Angeles Lakers (24-3) @ Indiana Pacers (18-9) - 7:00 PM ET 

Post#181 » by NippySudz » Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:26 pm

Landsberger wrote:
NippySudz wrote:
Landsberger wrote:Come on Ball.... don't you remember? Repeat after me... "Kuzma sucks..... Rondo sucks.... we need shooters"..... Kuzma sucks.... Rondo sucks..... we need shooters".....

Say it a couple hundred times in your head each day and you will become as enlightened as those who grace us with their wisdom...
Listen, you can hate it all you want. You don't have to like it. But the numbers don't lie. Kuzma is a negative on the court all around compare to Dwight and Javale which is why they've been playing those guys more alongside ad. Kuzma was supposed to be the stretch 4.

https://stats.nba.com/team/1610612747/onoffcourt-summary/

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk

...."Kuzma sucks..... Rondo sucks.... we need shooters"..... Kuzma sucks.... Rondo sucks..... we need shooters".....

Alright man. Have a good day.

Ball so hard
Sixth Man
And1: 677

Post#182 » by Ball so hard » Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:40 pm

NippySudz wrote:
The hype generated by Kyle kuzma himself+ his diehard loyalist supporters

It's not ridiculous. It's backed by the numbers. He's a forward that's avg less than five rebounds and less than one ast this season. And the defense? That's primarily why Dwight or javale is playing along side ad because they are a better fit defensively and his offensive production doesn't outweigh his defense to justify playing over Dwight and Javale.

And I already stated it would be hard to trade kuzma for bertans. A) the wizards want to keep him. B ) the contracts do not add up. I'm just pointing out he would fit better with LeBron James because he's a shooter and in a LeBron James system, you need shooters and/or guys that can play defense. No one is helping off bertans. They're going to be glued to him. Which leaves space for ad and LeBron to operate. With kuzma, people are okay giving up the three ball or allowing him to shoot .

I wouldn't trade him for Iggy. I wouldn't trade anyone for Iggy. Too old and too expensive. Iggy is a buyout candidate, not a trade candidate.

I've been here long enough to know those diehard loyalist supporters to which you are referring are far and few between.

That's the problem when people use stats without context. You have to weigh stats with respect to role. Given his current role I'm hardly surprised by his low assist numbers. Kuz is largely a non factor on offense largely due to rotations and game plan. It's kind of pointless to bring up his assist numbers to be honest. Rebounding could be better, but it's hardly terrible... Per 36 of around 5 per game. Your boy Bertans's Per 36 is 5.7. He's a better defender than Bertan's. Kuz is not great on defense, but he's nowhere near a huge liability on that end as you and others here are claiming. Bertans is sieve on defense.

There are a few reasons why Dwight and Javale are playing next to AD and not Kuz. There's no denying that Kuz hasn't been good this year. It's also no secret that AD prefers to play PF. Kuz currently spends 96% of his time at the 4 spot... you see the issue here? AD + McGee are actually a terrible fit, especially on the defensive end... go look up their on/off stats together. Last I checked it was something like 113 DRTG and an eFG% of 57.

The bolded part has more to do with how good AD and Lebron are... Approximately 47% of Kuz's 3PA last season were considered tight to very tight; keep in mind this happened in a season in which he was putrid from distance.
NippySudz
Assistant Coach

Post#183 » by NippySudz » Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:51 pm

Ball so hard wrote:
NippySudz wrote:

It's not ridiculous. It's backed by the numbers. He's a forward that's avg less than five rebounds and less than one ast this season. And the defense? That's primarily why Dwight or javale is playing along side ad because they are a better fit defensively and his offensive production doesn't outweigh his defense to justify playing over Dwight and Javale.

And I already stated it would be hard to trade kuzma for bertans. A) the wizards want to keep him. B ) the contracts do not add up. I'm just pointing out he would fit better with LeBron James because he's a shooter and in a LeBron James system, you need shooters and/or guys that can play defense. No one is helping off bertans. They're going to be glued to him. Which leaves space for ad and LeBron to operate. With kuzma, people are okay giving up the three ball or allowing him to shoot .

I wouldn't trade him for Iggy. I wouldn't trade anyone for Iggy. Too old and too expensive. Iggy is a buyout candidate, not a trade candidate.

I've been here long enough to know those diehard loyalist supporters to which you are referring are far and few between.

That's the problem when people use stats without context. You have to weigh stats with respect to role. Given his current role I'm hardly surprised by his low assist numbers. Kuz is largely a non factor on offense largely due to rotations and game plan. It's kind of pointless to bring up his assist numbers to be honest. Rebounding could be better, but it's hardly terrible... Per 36 of around 5 per game. Your boy Bertans's Per 36 is 5.7. He's a better defender than Bertan's. Kuz is not great on defense, but he's nowhere near a huge liability on that end as you and others here are claiming. Bertans is sieve on defense.

There are a few reasons why Dwight and Javale are playing next to AD and not Kuz. There's no denying that Kuz hasn't been good this year. It's also no secret that AD prefers to play PF. Kuz currently spends 96% of his time at the 4 spot... you see the issue here? AD + McGee are actually a terrible fit, especially on the defensive end... go look up their on/off stats together. Last I checked it was something like 113 DRTG and an eFG% of 57.

The bolded part has more to do with how good AD and Lebron are... Approximately 47% of Kuz's 3PA last season were considered tight to very tight; keep in mind this happened in a season in which he was putrid from distance.

There are plenty of die hard kuzma fans. Kuzma is very marketable. The man has 4m followers on social media. And is the face of puma. He has a lot of fans for someone that's a roleplayer and yet to be an all star. To say it's far and in-between is just not accurate. There's a few of them on this board that believe kuzma will be an all star in the future and will not entertain any discussion that kuzma isn't all that.

Again, I'm giving you fit and roles. Comparing Kyle kuzma to bertans straight up is fool's gold. I'm comparing fit. Bertans goal on the floor isn't to defend, rebound or playmake for others.

Spacing, shooting, keeping defenses honest. His offensive ability for the Lakers would be a much better fit than what kuzma can provide offensively. Kuzma offensive production doesn't outweigh his defensive woes. Who knows. Maybe it will later but not as of now.

And yes I see the issue there. Kuzma was hoping to be that stretch 4 whenever ad had to play the five but given that dwight and Javale have been playing better than kuzma, they don't have to do it as much and it's been much more successful that way.

Read on Twitter

The bolded part you addressed...is my point. They are not going to leave bertans at all. LeBron would find him and he'd make it. Where as teams will live with the result of a Kuzma 3. That's my point. Watch the clippers wizards highlights. Clippers are a pretty good defensive team. Doc is screaming at players for helping off bertans. Bertans had 24 that game. If bertans was on the Lakers, he'd get that level of respect from top teams. He'd keep defenses honest.

Miami heat used zone defense that was pretty effective against the Lakers for three qtrs. Zone defense makes you burp up a lot of bad threes. Well, if you got a sniper that can make a lot of them, zone probably won't give you as many fits.

Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#184 » by Kilroy » Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:01 pm

So yeah... No way the Wizards let that guy go for the pocket lint we have to offer.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
NippySudz
Assistant Coach

Post#185 » by NippySudz » Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:09 pm

Kilroy wrote:So yeah... No way the Wizards let that guy go for the pocket lint we have to offer.
Yeah, I suppose it's a moot point to talk about but fun to speculate.

Ball so hard
Sixth Man
And1: 677

Post#186 » by Ball so hard » Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:30 pm

NippySudz wrote:
Ball so hard wrote:
NippySudz wrote:

There are plenty of die hard kuzma fans. Kuzma is very marketable. The man has 4m followers on social media. And is the face of puma. He has a lot of fans for someone that's a roleplayer and yet to be an all star. To say it's far and in-between is just not accurate. There's a few of them on this board that believe kuzma will be an all star in the future and will not entertain any discussion that kuzma isn't all that.

Again, I'm giving you fit and roles. Comparing Kyle kuzma to bertans straight up is fool's gold. I'm comparing fit. Bertans goal on the floor isn't to defend, rebound or playmake for others.

Spacing, shooting, keeping defenses honest. His offensive ability for the Lakers would be a much better fit than what kuzma can provide offensively. Kuzma offensive production doesn't outweigh his defensive woes. Who knows. Maybe it will later but not as of now.

And yes I see the issue there. Kuzma was hoping to be that stretch 4 whenever ad had to play the five but given that dwight and Javale have been playing better than kuzma, they don't have to do it as much and it's been much more successful that way.

Read on Twitter

The bolded part you addressed...is my point. They are not going to leave bertans at all. LeBron would find him and he'd make it. Where as teams will live with the result of a Kuzma 3. That's my point. Watch the clippers wizards highlights. Clippers are a pretty good defensive team. Doc is screaming at players for helping off bertans. Bertans had 24 that game. If bertans was on the Lakers, he'd get that level of respect from top teams. He'd keep defenses honest.

Miami heat used zone defense that was pretty effective against the Lakers for three qtrs. Zone defense makes you burp up a lot of bad threes. Well, if you got a sniper that can make a lot of them, zone probably won't give you as many fits.

I think you're conflating casual NBA fans and members on this board who are mostly knowledgeable. I was specifically referring to members on this board... I don't do social media so I have no idea how many fans he has. In any event I rest my case on this topic.

I already pushed back on the AD + McGee fit so i'm not sure why you continue make it seems as if they play well together.

What you're saying about Bertans making his shots, getting respect from top teams, etc. is pure conjecture. Like you mentioned... discussing Bertans is kind of pointless.
NippySudz
Assistant Coach

Post#187 » by NippySudz » Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:33 pm

Ball so hard wrote:
NippySudz wrote:
Ball so hard wrote:

Read on Twitter

I think you're conflating casual NBA fans and members on this board who are mostly knowledgeable. I was specifically referring to members on this board... I don't do social media so I have no idea how many fans he has. In any event I rest my case on this topic.

I already pushed back on the AD + McGee fit so i'm not sure why you continue make it seems as if they play well together.

What you're saying about Bertans making his shots, getting respect from top teams, etc. is pure conjecture. Like you mentioned... discussing Bertans is kind of pointless.

No sir, I'm not. There are a few kuzma apologists on this board and they know who they are.

I said they're better than the combo of ad and kuz. Onto the shooters, It's not conjecture. Its based on following lebron and his playstyle with shooters going all the way back to miami. There's 8-9 years of data on this. but we'll agree to disagree. It is pointless. :lol:
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,545

Post#188 » by stan francisco » Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:17 am

Kuzma stays because of his contract. I’m happy about that, yes. He’s about to start strutting his stuff from this summer’s hard work. He was six weeks late starting the season, should soon get up to game pace NBA elite conditioning and start making his shots like everyone else started doing about five weeks ago.

So, the only tradable piece of actual $ value we have right now is KCP. NTC KCP, I know. Iggy and FVV will be available after TD. Iggy for nothing.

How do we get FVV, even if just borrowed for the rest of season?
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers