ImageImageImageImageImage

Pelinka promoted to VP of B-ball Ops, contract extended

Moderators: TyCobb, Kilroy, Danny Darko

User avatar
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 52,112
And1: 11,563
Joined: Aug 02, 2005
     

Pelinka promoted to VP of B-ball Ops, contract extended 

Post#1 » by dockingsched » Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:14 am

Read on Twitter
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
User avatar
myersia
Analyst
Posts: 3,411
And1: 762
Joined: Feb 08, 2011
     

Re: Pelinka promoted to VP of B-ball Ops, contract extended 

Post#2 » by myersia » Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:17 am

Well deserved. Good job Rob!
User avatar
ScHoolBoy B
General Manager
Posts: 8,385
And1: 1,677
Joined: Aug 06, 2010
     

Re: Pelinka promoted to VP of B-ball Ops, contract extended 

Post#3 » by ScHoolBoy B » Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:19 am

Congrats Rob! Doing a helluva job!
Image

Long Live The Black Mamba. Kobe Bean Bryant Laker For Life. 8/24
User avatar
iamworthy
RealGM
Posts: 17,345
And1: 4,197
Joined: Jul 20, 2007
Location: Ring City!!!
   

Re: Pelinka promoted to VP of B-ball Ops, contract extended 

Post#4 » by iamworthy » Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:50 am

So magic was right?
Ballerhogger
RealGM
Posts: 24,034
And1: 5,755
Joined: Jul 06, 2014
       

Re: Pelinka promoted to VP of B-ball Ops, contract extended 

Post#5 » by Ballerhogger » Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:55 am

Would of waited until deadline was over but he’s done good so far
Kobe for President of Operations
RamonSessions7
General Manager
Posts: 9,750
And1: 2,164
Joined: Feb 21, 2009
   

Re: Pelinka promoted to VP of B-ball Ops, contract extended 

Post#6 » by RamonSessions7 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:58 am

Meh
Image
User avatar
chefy
Head Coach
Posts: 6,528
And1: 369
Joined: Aug 14, 2006

Re: Pelinka promoted to VP of B-ball Ops, contract extended 

Post#7 » by chefy » Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:07 am

Still think he sucks but kewl
User avatar
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 52,112
And1: 11,563
Joined: Aug 02, 2005
     

Re: Pelinka promoted to VP of B-ball Ops, contract extended 

Post#8 » by dockingsched » Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:13 am

Ballerhogger wrote:Would of waited until deadline was over but he’s done good so far

No reason to wait, all it costs is money out of the owner’s pockets if they decide to fire him. With the “promotion” and extension, other teams know Rob isn’t going to be bullied into a shortsighted move, he has the luxury of patience. Nothing but positives from this since we shouldn’t care about the owner’s pockets.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
Ballerhogger
RealGM
Posts: 24,034
And1: 5,755
Joined: Jul 06, 2014
       

Re: Pelinka promoted to VP of B-ball Ops, contract extended 

Post#9 » by Ballerhogger » Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:24 am

dockingsched wrote:
Ballerhogger wrote:Would of waited until deadline was over but he’s done good so far

No reason to wait, all it costs is money out of the owner’s pockets if they decide to fire him. With the “promotion” and extension, other teams know Rob isn’t going to be bullied into a shortsighted move, he has the luxury of patience. Nothing but positives from this since we shouldn’t care about the owner’s pockets.

Ok that makes sense
Kobe for President of Operations
User avatar
Beethoven
Starter
Posts: 2,324
And1: 762
Joined: May 03, 2012
Location: Utopian Dystopia
 

Re: Pelinka promoted to VP of B-ball Ops, contract extended 

Post#10 » by Beethoven » Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:36 am

Nice!! Congrats keep up the awesome work Rob we counting on you. It only gets tougher from here. Work harder and stronger.
Kobe Bryant forever
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
Posts: 17,697
And1: 7,916
Joined: Jul 10, 2006
Location: The Motel 9 in Vegas
       

Re: Pelinka promoted to VP of B-ball Ops, contract extended 

Post#11 » by Kilroy » Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:59 am

So I assume Rich Paul got promoted too... PobO?
More fun than a man with a mustache eating tostadas...
Spanish_Laker
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,035
And1: 1,388
Joined: Jan 27, 2007
Location: Huelva, Spain
     

Re: Pelinka promoted to VP of B-ball Ops, contract extended 

Post#12 » by Spanish_Laker » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:37 am

Let's wait until the offseason for grades.
Arguably the greatest franchise ever
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 58,058
And1: 29,354
Joined: Oct 15, 2006
Location: København
     

Re: Pelinka promoted to VP of B-ball Ops, contract extended 

Post#13 » by Slava » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:08 am

If he hasn't been saddled with magic, the sailing might have been smoother and the team would have been better. Anyways can't complain, congrats to Pelinka he took too much ****, especially courtesy of Magic Johnson.
:king:
bb22
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,658
And1: 589
Joined: Oct 08, 2012

Re: Pelinka promoted to VP of B-ball Ops, contract extended 

Post#14 » by bb22 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:05 pm

dockingsched wrote:
Ballerhogger wrote:Would of waited until deadline was over but he’s done good so far

No reason to wait, all it costs is money out of the owner’s pockets if they decide to fire him. With the “promotion” and extension, other teams know Rob isn’t going to be bullied into a shortsighted move, he has the luxury of patience. Nothing but positives from this since we shouldn’t care about the owner’s pockets.


Good take.
Ballerhogger
RealGM
Posts: 24,034
And1: 5,755
Joined: Jul 06, 2014
       

Re: Pelinka promoted to VP of B-ball Ops, contract extended 

Post#15 » by Ballerhogger » Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:06 pm

Slava wrote:If he hasn't been saddled with magic, the sailing might have been smoother and the team would have been better. Anyways can't complain, congrats to Pelinka he took too much ****, especially courtesy of Magic Johnson.

Yup giving away lou willams for nothing still hurts ..
Kobe for President of Operations
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 58,058
And1: 29,354
Joined: Oct 15, 2006
Location: København
     

Re: Pelinka promoted to VP of B-ball Ops, contract extended 

Post#16 » by Slava » Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:15 pm

Ballerhogger wrote:
Slava wrote:If he hasn't been saddled with magic, the sailing might have been smoother and the team would have been better. Anyways can't complain, congrats to Pelinka he took too much ****, especially courtesy of Magic Johnson.

Yup giving away lou willams for nothing still hurts ..


Didn't give him up for nothing, the pick turned into Larry Nance Jr, who in turn was used to dump Clarkson to open up a max contract for LeBron James.
:king:
RamonSessions7
General Manager
Posts: 9,750
And1: 2,164
Joined: Feb 21, 2009
   

Re: Pelinka promoted to VP of B-ball Ops, contract extended 

Post#17 » by RamonSessions7 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:41 pm

Slava wrote:
Ballerhogger wrote:
Slava wrote:If he hasn't been saddled with magic, the sailing might have been smoother and the team would have been better. Anyways can't complain, congrats to Pelinka he took too much ****, especially courtesy of Magic Johnson.

Yup giving away lou willams for nothing still hurts ..


Didn't give him up for nothing, the pick turned into Larry Nance Jr, who in turn was used to dump Clarkson to open up a max contract for LeBron James.

The Rockets pick became Hart actually. So even more. Plus he was always getting booted so we could tank harder. Was a solid trade at the time and mostly a no brainer of acquiring an asset for a player who was not of as much use to us as a tanking team.
Image
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
Posts: 17,697
And1: 7,916
Joined: Jul 10, 2006
Location: The Motel 9 in Vegas
       

Re: Pelinka promoted to VP of B-ball Ops, contract extended 

Post#18 » by Kilroy » Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:22 pm

Pelinka will always be stained by the whole Magic fiasco IMO... First he was a total Magic Toady, then he was passive-aggressively talking **** about him behind his back and trying to get him fired...
No fan of the Magic hire in the first place, but Pelinka was at least, a major part of that whole embarrassing episode.

And I can't give him a whole lot of credit about where we are today, because we've clearly turned into a Klutch sports franchise. I'm happy about where we are as a team, but I just don't think Pelinka had a whole lot to do with it...

All that, and I just don't like the optics of his relationship with Jeannie and the Rambis'...
More fun than a man with a mustache eating tostadas...
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 58,058
And1: 29,354
Joined: Oct 15, 2006
Location: København
     

Re: Pelinka promoted to VP of B-ball Ops, contract extended 

Post#19 » by Slava » Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:59 pm

I mean none of what was said behind Magic's back was untrue. He was an absentee president of basketball ops who shat on people the few times he made it to work. The franchise as a whole is in a better place for whatever transpired that put Magic back in retirement.
:king:
RamonSessions7
General Manager
Posts: 9,750
And1: 2,164
Joined: Feb 21, 2009
   

Re: Pelinka promoted to VP of B-ball Ops, contract extended 

Post#20 » by RamonSessions7 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:30 am

^yeah glad somebody threw him under the bus because letting him continue to Magic our FO would’ve been the most incompetent
Image

Return to Los Angeles Lakers