The buy out market thread

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

NippySudz
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,460

Re: The buy out market thread 

Post#221 » by NippySudz » Mon Mar 2, 2020 4:05 am

kblo247 wrote:
thebigbird wrote:I hope everyone finds themselves someone who loves them like Landsberger loves Rajon Rondo. Good lord, you stan for him like he's your brother. How much longer are you going to stick your head in the sand and ignore reality? 99% of Lakers fans realize the dude sucks.

To be blunt though I don’t give a **** what rondo does in the season.

I didn’t give a **** what Shaw or Horry did during the season in the 3 peat. I didn’t give a **** what fish did in the year with Kobe/Pau/LO. But in case you weren’t around then, and you weren’t going from your post history, you would know this. Shaw sucked in the season but when it counted he was the guy defending, making plays, and hitting big shots vs Portland. Horry sucked parts of seasons, played his way into shape, but he showed up and hit the shot vs Sacramento and would defend a Wallace or Webber when it mattered and make them work. Fisher couldn’t hit a barn at times but he’s the guy who walked up the court in Orlando and sent it to to overtime and he’s the guy who went into Boston and took a game over. Rondo is one of those types of role players, he’s a different class.

If the switch goes on in the playoffs and he plays like the guy who started vs GS, who torched CP, who beat Curry and KD on Christmas, who hit the game winner vs Boston, who got 5 steals this past Sunday, etc then **** it I’m Team Rondo. He’s going to make his name by the playoffs not before it. Hell he made his name on a team with hall of fame guys in the playoffs and not in the regular season to the point wade tried to break his **** arm.

And it is far more likely that playoff rondo shows up than Caruso shows in the playoffs for the first time or Cook shows up nightly when he was a spot guy with the best cast a role guy could ask for and couldn’t be used past spot duty because he would have defensive lapses.
I

You have to go back as far as pelican rondo the last time he made a playoff impact and pelican rondo was over 2 years ago

but that being said, maybe there is something to playoff rondo, not in terms of individual numbers but the ability to play the same team for a series and the ability to study that opponent, maybe he can be better even if just a tad.

The only issue is that its uncertain, but that's what the team is hoping on.
thebigbird
Head Coach
And1: 19,954

Post#222 » by thebigbird » Mon Mar 2, 2020 4:10 am

kblo247 wrote:
thebigbird wrote:I hope everyone finds themselves someone who loves them like Landsberger loves Rajon Rondo. Good lord, you stan for him like he's your brother. How much longer are you going to stick your head in the sand and ignore reality? 99% of Lakers fans realize the dude sucks.

I didn’t give a **** what Shaw or Horry did during the season in the 3 peat. I didn’t give a **** what fish did in the year with Kobe/Pau/LO. But in case you weren’t around then, and you weren’t going from your post history, you would know this. Shaw sucked in the season but when it counted he was the guy defending, making plays, and hitting big shots vs Portland. Horry sucked parts of seasons, played his way into shape, but he showed up and hit the shot vs Sacramento and would defend a Wallace or Webber when it mattered and make them work. Fisher couldn’t hit a barn at times but he’s the guy who walked up the court in Orlando and sent it to to overtime and he’s the guy who went into Boston and took a game over. Rondo is one of those types of role players, he’s a different class.

If the switch goes on in the playoffs and he plays like the guy who started vs GS, who torched CP, who beat Curry and KD on Christmas, who hit the game winner vs Boston, who got 5 steals this past Sunday, etc then **** it I’m Team Rondo. He’s going to make his name by the playoffs not before it. Hell he made his name on a team with hall of fame guys in the playoffs and not in the regular season to the point wade tried to break his **** arm.

And it is far more likely that playoff rondo shows up than Caruso shows in the playoffs for the first time or Cook shows up nightly when he was a spot guy with the best cast a role guy could ask for and couldn’t be used past spot duty because he would have defensive lapses.
I

Hey if Rondo doesn't suck in the playoffs then great. Makes things easier for the Lakers because we desperately need a backup point guard. I think it's very unlikely that a post-prime guy can play like crap for the vast majority of the regular season and then flip a switch come playoff time, but you never know. I would temper my expectations for "playoff Rondo," though. He has only played in 13 playoff games since 2012, and 2 of them came when he was absolutely dreadful for the Mavs.
NippySudz
Assistant Coach

Post#223 » by NippySudz » Mon Mar 2, 2020 4:16 am

thebigbird wrote:
kblo247 wrote:

I

Hey if Rondo doesn't suck in the playoffs then great. Makes things easier for the Lakers because we desperately need a backup point guard. I think it's very unlikely that a post-prime guy can play like crap for the vast majority of the regular season and then flip a switch come playoff time, but you never know. I would temper my expectations for "playoff Rondo," though. He has only played in 13 playoff games since 2012, and 2 of them came when he was absolutely dreadful for the Mavs.

I don't think its likely either, but its worth doing it and keep giving him tries.

Before laker fans kill me with my take, Yesterday Caruso started. Caruso didn't play the 4th quarter which was a mistake (or maybe it was due to his injury now I think about it, a hamstring which has been bothering him this season. Sat out for it already)

How effective would Caruso be with extended mins? Maybe vogel is thinking like that. When it comes to the clippers, I sometimes think doc overplays Lou and Trezz too much and it kills the momentum of the team. Maybe vogel might use caruso as a spark plug defensively and probably doesn't think caruso being in the game for extended mins will sustain itself due to lack of playmaking and shotmaking.

Enter Rondo. Rondo gives lebron an additional playmaker. In theory anyway and Frank is hoping he can make pivotal plays along side lebron in a series.
kblo247
RealGM
And1: 2,130

Post#224 » by kblo247 » Mon Mar 2, 2020 4:56 am

NippySudz wrote:
kblo247 wrote:

I

You have to go back as far as pelican rondo the last time he made a playoff impact and pelican rondo was over 2 years ago

but that being said, maybe there is something to playoff rondo, not in terms of individual numbers but the ability to play the same team for a series and the ability to study that opponent, maybe he can be better even if just a tad.

I don't expect Rondo to average what he did vs Portland in the playoffs. What I expect from "playoff Rondo" is two had 5-7 minute stretches each night in a playoff game where it becomes about just what you described. He didn't dismantle Lillard and CJ because he was faster than them, stronger, or jumped higher. He got to them because as AD and Jrue Holiday both described he sat in the film room when he knew who they were playing for certain and picked a part every single coverage tje Blazers used on both ends throughout the year and outlined them to the team. AD went as far as to say Rondo was screaming out the Blazer sets to them and when they mentioned a fake play, Rondo said y'all ain't got that.

I think he will be the guy who knows every way that Ja or Zo wants to go. That he will know every series what they use and the holes they have. Then I expect him to exploit them. He's shown in short bursts he still has the speed to exploit holes, just his biggest problem is that anytime he goes full tilt he **** his hand up since Wade slammed his ass years ago. There is an old saying of the game slows down in the playoffs, and it ain't because of tempo. It's because it becomes about knowledge and scouting especially after the first round got extended. I think Rondo will earn his check then.

I doubt we every see Rondo plays 20-25 minutes in the playoffs, but 10-15 seems likely when Bron plays bigger minutes because all those games will be national tv and be filled with commercial timeouts to sell advertising which extends game time. I expect solid from Rondo, maintain leads, on the road break momentum of the other team, and be active on the sidelines screaming at guys so they know coverages and what to do.
tamaraw08
Analyst
And1: 1,289

Post#225 » by tamaraw08 » Mon Mar 2, 2020 4:03 pm

kblo247 wrote:
NippySudz wrote:
kblo247 wrote:To be blunt though I don’t give a **** what rondo does in the season.

I

I don't expect Rondo to average what he did vs Portland in the playoffs. What I expect from "playoff Rondo" is two had 5-7 minute stretches each night in a playoff game where it becomes about just what you described. He didn't dismantle Lillard and CJ because he was faster than them, stronger, or jumped higher. He got to them because as AD and Jrue Holiday both described he sat in the film room when he knew who they were playing for certain and picked a part every single coverage tje Blazers used on both ends throughout the year and outlined them to the team. AD went as far as to say Rondo was screaming out the Blazer sets to them and when they mentioned a fake play, Rondo said y'all ain't got that.

I think he will be the guy who knows every way that Ja or Zo wants to go. That he will know every series what they use and the holes they have. Then I expect him to exploit them. He's shown in short bursts he still has the speed to exploit holes, just his biggest problem is that anytime he goes full tilt he **** his hand up since Wade slammed his ass years ago. There is an old saying of the game slows down in the playoffs, and it ain't because of tempo. It's because it becomes about knowledge and scouting especially after the first round got extended. I think Rondo will earn his check then.

I doubt we every see Rondo plays 20-25 minutes in the playoffs, but 10-15 seems likely when Bron plays bigger minutes because all those games will be national tv and be filled with commercial timeouts to sell advertising which extends game time. I expect solid from Rondo, maintain leads, on the road break momentum of the other team, and be active on the sidelines screaming at guys so they know coverages and what to do.

Good point, he is very smart and would read defenses and exploit mismatches etc but the other side is true too, he will face disciplined teams where he would no longer be able to sneak that underhand layups, he would be dared to take those low % jumpers etc. I see him playing more when the Clips try to smother Green, Bradley, Casuro in the perimeter to force turnovers.
lazybatman
Sixth Man
And1: 876

Post#226 » by lazybatman » Tue Mar 3, 2020 12:07 am

I'm enjoying reading this Rondo discussion. Cheers guys!!
Beethoven
Head Coach
And1: 3,832

Post#227 » by Beethoven » Tue Mar 3, 2020 12:47 am

Love rondo
Kobe Bryant forever
GO LAKERS
8-)
whitelight
Freshman
And1: 10

Post#228 » by whitelight » Tue Mar 3, 2020 5:59 am

kblo247 wrote:
NippySudz wrote:
kblo247 wrote:To be blunt though I don’t give a **** what rondo does in the season.

I

If Rondo is awful in the playoffs then you are going to need to find some new friends here.
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,335

Post#229 » by Dr Aki » Tue Mar 3, 2020 1:10 pm

tamaraw08
Analyst

Post#230 » by tamaraw08 » Tue Mar 3, 2020 4:07 pm

https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2020/3/2/21161495/nba-free-agency-rumors-lakers-dion-waiter-jr-smith-rajon-rondo-alex-caruso-frank-vogel-lebron-james
This is all before you get to the very real questions about how Waiters would handle not playing, something the player he’s replacing (Troy Daniels) took in stride for a chemistry-laden team that hasn’t had anyone grousing about their role.

Waiters started out the year by getting suspended for the Miami Heat’s opening game for “conduct detrimental to the team.” He responded to that suspension by taking shots at the team on Instagram, and was later given a 10-game suspension after having a panic attack following the ingestion of a “THC-infused edible” on the team plane.

Waiters apologized following that suspension, but was soon suspended a third time because he reportedly posted an Instagram photo of himself on a boat after telling Heat officials he could not practice or play because he was sick.

If this is how he acted when he was out of the rotation before, will he necessarily respond better as Laker? Maybe, but it’s no guarantee, and it’s no more of a guarantee that the Lakers would have a consistent role to slot him in to, or that they wouldn’t have to sacrifice things that have worked well for them to find minutes for Waiters.

Even last couple of years, he was suspended for reporting to camp overweight and out of shape too. He failed to fit in with OKC after Cleveland decided he's not needed then shipped him there.
The main reason I think he's getting serious consideration is bec he shares the same agent with Lebron and Pelinka was his former agent.
Miami go out of their way to help players succeed, assigning the best trainers, nutritionists etc resulting to marginal players like Tyler Johnson, James Johnson, Whiteside get much better than before and after.
tamaraw08
Analyst

Post#231 » by tamaraw08 » Tue Mar 3, 2020 4:16 pm

If this guy is available, I would rather have him
[url][/url], then again, he's not a SF/SG oh well.
NippySudz
Assistant Coach

Post#232 » by NippySudz » Tue Mar 3, 2020 8:05 pm

Read on Twitter

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk
kblo247
RealGM

Post#233 » by kblo247 » Tue Mar 3, 2020 10:25 pm

NippySudz wrote:
Read on Twitter

I don’t doubt his skills or his youth. He fits the need of ball handler and iso guy. He checks the youth box too.

What he really doesn’t check solely is the locker room thing. He was a guy who was a bad chemistry guy in Cleveland and got traded within weeks of Bron being around him. He got to Miami and we know he got suspended twice. Then he went to Memphis who said take all your cash and don’t come around.

I think we can say well cousins and Dwight but he isn’t at the reflection stage they are imo. Cousins got hurt multiple times and had to fight back to earn his ability to even play ball. Dwight has failed stops. Waiters makes me wonder if he is there mentally and ready to check himself.
lazybatman
Sixth Man
And1: 876

Post#234 » by lazybatman » Wed Mar 4, 2020 1:05 am

NippySudz wrote:
Read on Twitter

That's very interesting.. I just assumed he was a super net negative on D, and we were only trying to get him for some bench scoring.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,545

Post#235 » by stan francisco » Thu Mar 5, 2020 5:44 am

I hope I don’t get to eat my words but given his rap sheet, Rob probably doesn’t want him here. Too much at stake to risk it for so little.

I agree with not signing Waiters. And, same with JR Smith. I’d rather see THT called up for some burn than either one of those two.

Not signing Jamal on the other hand ... That, I can’t understand. Rob must have missed that one post of mine. :nod:
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
kblo247
RealGM

Post#236 » by kblo247 » Thu Mar 5, 2020 5:54 am

Just sign Cousins back to a pro rated vet min. At this point you give him some pocket change for next year so he takes a lower salary and you get early bird rights. He can then travel and sit on the bench everywhere and it keeps chemistry.
LBC SoCal
Junior
And1: 417

Post#237 » by LBC SoCal » Thu Mar 5, 2020 7:09 am

I would be ok with Jamal Crawford. Could be the offense we need when Lebron is in the bench. As for JR and Dion....I’d rather pass.
11 titles won in LA in the modern era, while y’all living on “success” from 2 generations ago :lol:
kblo247
RealGM

Post#238 » by kblo247 » Thu Mar 5, 2020 7:17 am

LBC SoCal wrote:I would be ok with Jamal Crawford. Could be the offense we need when Lebron is in the bench. As for JR and Dion....I’d rather pass.

Jamal was a playoff scrub and choke job in his prime, he ain’t worth it
LBC SoCal
Junior
And1: 417

Post#239 » by LBC SoCal » Thu Mar 5, 2020 7:19 am

kblo247 wrote:
LBC SoCal wrote:I would be ok with Jamal Crawford. Could be the offense we need when Lebron is in the bench. As for JR and Dion....I’d rather pass.

Jamal was a playoff scrub and choke job in his prime, he ain’t worth it

Probably true, but given the 3 options, I’d still choose him over Waiters or Smith. If Lakers pass on him, then we should just go with what we got.
11 titles won in LA in the modern era, while y’all living on “success” from 2 generations ago :lol:
NippySudz
Assistant Coach

Post#240 » by NippySudz » Thu Mar 5, 2020 7:33 am

stan francisco wrote:I hope I don’t get to eat my words but given his rap sheet, Rob probably doesn’t want him here. Too much at stake to risk it for so little.

I agree with not signing Waiters. And, same with JR Smith. I’d rather see THT called up for some burn than either one of those two.

Not signing Jamal on the other hand ... That, I can’t understand. Rob must have missed that one post of mine. :nod:
Crawford is 39 years old and a chucker. You might as well let kuz do that.

Plus he plays no defense.

Waiters is the better option but that's only assuming he buys in. Scoring and isn't a defensive liability

Return to Los Angeles Lakers