Upcoming Lakers offseason

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,930

Upcoming Lakers offseason 

Post#1 » by zimpy27 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:53 pm

The team is currently locked in (with the possible addition of a buyout) for the playoffs this year.

They have been hamstrung for trades this season but in the offseason a lot of their "NTCs" come off when they agree or disagree to their player options.

Players I think the Lakers likely stick with:
LeBron
Davis
Cousins (can offer up to 4m a year)
Howard (can offer BAE at about 4m a year)
Caruso
Rondo
Cook (because he's non-guaranteed next season and only worth $1m in trade)

Players likely available for trade if the Lakers don't win a championship:
Green $15.4m
KCP $9.5m
Bradley $5m
McGee $4.2m
Kuzma $3.6m
All contracts end in 2021 offseason, could be valuable expirings.

Lakers have a 9.9m Full MLE to use as well.

Given that the PF/C rotation is likely covered (LeBron, Davis, Howard, Cousins) and Caruso as a guard it is like the Lakers need a starting quality PG, SG, SF (one of which that can act as a 6th man).

Who would be a good option?
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
TKainZero
Head Coach
And1: 3,275

Re: Upcoming Lakers offseason 

Post#2 » by TKainZero » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:00 pm

This seems a few months premature

We really need to see what happens this year first.
USA Celtics in full effect. Amazing chemistry building experience right there for the main core of the team

Proceeds to finish 7th and shames the entire nation!
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#3 » by Kilroy » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:35 pm

I would be real cautious giving Howard another contract. Maybe 1+1 with a TO on the second. I don't have any faith he can sustain this past this season and is likely to fall off a cliff next season, especially if we win.
I also think Howard is a bit redundant if you think Cousins can come back and play at a decent level.
I can see us keeping Cousins and Rondo for AD... I think we may keep KCP for LeBron/RichPaul.
It's probably time to start the Giannis watch too... Because if it becomes clear they can't keep him, I don't think the Bucks will hesitate to ship him out, especially if they win it all this year. It's the Kawhi thing all over again.
SO keeping Kostas at all costs, is now a thing...
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,298

Post#4 » by Dr Aki » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:48 pm

Do we know whether KCP, Rondo and McGee keep their de facto NTCs next season?
Beethoven
Head Coach
And1: 3,828

Post#5 » by Beethoven » Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:04 am

Let's just win the dam championship in June and then see where the chips fall after the dust settles.

too much headache thinking of this kind of stuff now no?
Kobe Bryant forever
GO LAKERS
8-)
Landsberger
General Manager
And1: 1,969

Post#6 » by Landsberger » Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:30 am

zimpy27 wrote:The team is currently locked in (with the possible addition of a buyout) for the playoffs this year.

They have been hamstrung for trades this season but in the offseason a lot of their "NTCs" come off when they agree or disagree to their player options.

LeBron
Davis
Caruso
Rondo

Green $15.4m
KCP $9.5m
Bradley $5m
McGee $4.2m
Kuzma $3.6m

Given that the PF/C rotation is likely covered (LeBron, Davis, Howard, Cousins) and Caruso as a guard it is like the Lakers need a starting quality PG, SG, SF (one of which that can act as a 6th man).

It will be interesting for sure. We want in the 2021 offseason sweepstakes is my guess so anyone we trade or let go will be replaced with 1+1's or one year deals IMHO. Davis isn't a guy who's leading a team without another superstar so if Bron gets hurt or declines rapidly we could drop quick. I think all moves from here on out are for another superstar in the next 1.5 years.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#7 » by zimpy27 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:45 am

Dr Aki wrote:Do we know whether KCP, Rondo and McGee keep their de facto NTCs next season?

They either opt out and therefore become FAs or they opt in and can be traded.

None have official NTCs.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#8 » by zimpy27 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:47 am

Beethoven wrote:Let's just win the dam championship in June and then see where the chips fall after the dust settles.

too much headache thinking of this kind of stuff now no?

Well, Rob should be thinking about it now, it's good to plan ahead regardless of outcome.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#9 » by zimpy27 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:53 am

Landsberger wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:The team is currently locked in (with the possible addition of a buyout) for the playoffs this year.

LeBron
Davis
Caruso
Rondo

Green $15.4m
KCP $9.5m
Bradley $5m
McGee $4.2m
Kuzma $3.6m

It will be interesting for sure. We want in the 2021 offseason sweepstakes is my guess so anyone we trade or let go will be replaced with 1+1's or one year deals IMHO. Davis isn't a guy who's leading a team without another superstar so if Bron gets hurt or declines rapidly we could drop quick. I think all moves from here on out are for another superstar in the next 1.5 years.

What's the 2021 sweepstakes? Who are the targets?
Landsberger
General Manager

Post#10 » by Landsberger » Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:57 am

zimpy27 wrote:
Landsberger wrote:

LeBron
Davis
Caruso
Rondo

Green $15.4m
KCP $9.5m
Bradley $5m
McGee $4.2m
Kuzma $3.6m

I would assume anyone on this list.... I don't think the FO is choosy quite frankly.

https://www.nba.com/free-agents-2021
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,298

Post#11 » by Dr Aki » Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:10 am

zimpy27 wrote:
Dr Aki wrote:Do we know whether KCP, Rondo and McGee keep their de facto NTCs next season?

None have official NTCs.

The rule that gave them de facto NTCs due to the fact they lose their early Bird/full Bird status doesn't apply if they opt in?
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#12 » by zimpy27 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:19 am

Dr Aki wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:

None have official NTCs.

The rule that gave them de facto NTCs due to the fact they lose their early Bird/full Bird status doesn't apply if they opt in?

Yes I believe so. They have the NTC until they opt in. It becomes like any final year opt in.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#13 » by zimpy27 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:22 am

Landsberger wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:
Landsberger wrote:

I would assume anyone on this list.... I don't think the FO is choosy quite frankly.

So Giannis only.

Lakers will resign Davis, McCollum and Beal signed extensions, the restricted will be picked up by their teams, and the player options will be LeBron, Kawhi and PG13 re-signing with their teams, CP3 and Blake will not opt out of their option.
Landsberger
General Manager

Post#14 » by Landsberger » Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:24 am

zimpy27 wrote:
Landsberger wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:

So Giannis only.

Lakers will resign Davis, McCollum and Beal signed extensions, the restricted will be picked up by their teams, and the player options will be LeBron, Kawhi and PG13 re-signing with their teams, CP3 and Blake will not opt out of their option.

That's a lot of assumptions.

Let's say you're right on all accounts.... then the Lakers will just kick the can down the road with short contracts for vet hangers on IMHO until such time that they get a more favorable group to try and replace Bron. I don't see the team signing mid level guys for 4 or 5 years.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#15 » by zimpy27 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:27 am

Landsberger wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:
Landsberger wrote:

So Giannis only.

It's not really. The only assumption is that Kawhi and PG13 re-sign with Clippers. The rest are 90%+ certain.

Is it worth punting offseason for the chance it happens? I doubt it. Unless Giannis is a very real possibility. I thought Lakers may have had a gut full after not taking other options while waiting for Kawhi to make a decision.
Landsberger
General Manager

Post#16 » by Landsberger » Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:28 am

zimpy27 wrote:
Landsberger wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:
So Giannis only.

It's not really. The only assumption is that Kawhi and PG13 re-sign with Clippers. The rest are 90%+ certain

Durant has moved from 2 teams most thought the same way about.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,651

Post#17 » by dockingsched » Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:09 am

zimpy27 wrote:
Dr Aki wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:

None have official NTCs.

Yes I believe so. They have the NTC until they opt in. It becomes like any final year opt in.

The NTC rule applies when a FA signs a one year deal and will have early or regular bird rights at the end of the contract. Any contract that has an option after the first year falls under this clause since it can in effect be a one year deal if the option is exercised. If they opt in to their deal they won’t have NTC’s since they wouldn’t have been FAs that just signed a one year deal.

If anyone is curious, point of the rule is to prevent teams from circumventing the sign n trade rules by being able to sign a player to a one year deal then dealing him a few months later where the receiving team can then use his bird rights to give him his extension. It’s why the player loses his bird rights if he agrees to be traded.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#18 » by Spens1 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:54 am

Rondo can become an assistant to be honest. Don't really want him anywhere near this lineup again and would rather spend the MLE on an actual P.G.

I'd offer Kuzma like at most, a 9-11 mill per year extension given how bad he has been this year (he's gone backwards instead of forwards, so much so that i almost wished we had kept a pick and traded him in the A.D package as well).

Return to Los Angeles Lakers