ImageImageImageImageImage

Should AD take 3pt shots? How many?

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

tamaraw08
Analyst
And1: 1,280

Should AD take 3pt shots? How many? 

Post#1 » by tamaraw08 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:25 pm

It was reported that Vogel is encouraging AD to take more shots from beyond 24 feet and yes I am aware there were at least a couple of games when AD actually hit those crucial 3's down the stretch to help this team win but I can't help to wonder if he didn't missed a few before those shots, maybe he wouldn't need to nail those shots in the crucial times.
He is currently shooting under 33% missing 2.3 attempts/game. For the 10 games they lost with him, he is shooting under 29% - 31.5% on the road.
33% overall is not horrible but how did he do against the very good teams?
Against the Clips, 12.5%, 42% FG- took 6 shots Christmas, more than every Clipper not named PG and Kawhi.
Bucks, 0%(6 shots) 42%FG
Boston, 60%, 40.6%FG
Raptors, 40%, 50%FG
Not a few Laker fans are confident that this team would ultimately beat top teams like the Clippers bec nobody is big enough to guard AD inside and yet it seems like AD is not exactly dominating shorter players like Harrell and just like last game vs Boston, the 6-6 Jaylen Brown.
AD made it clear he doesn't want to play center and that is why Pelinka didn't waste time to hire Dwight to replace the injured DMC right before training camp.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Re: Should AD take 3pt shots? How many? 

Post#2 » by Kilroy » Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:32 pm

Maybe the numbers don't support it, but I'm way more comfortable with AD taking 3s than I am with just about anyone else on the team. So while fundamentally, I view 7'ers taking a bunch of 3s as a gimmick offense, I'm cool with AD shooting them. Maybe about 4 a game on average, or more if the D gives them to him.
That's kind of his thing.

I'm not cool with him taking long fall-away 2s though... Either get your ass in the paint or pop out and shoot a 3... He's terrible in mid range.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
Beethoven
Head Coach
And1: 3,828

Post#3 » by Beethoven » Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:12 pm

I like that he is very selective w his 3point shot. He usually makes them when they pass it around and he is left open for a split second or when they converge onto lebron. I wish he was more selective w his fall away two pointers yes i agree. He sometimes looks like he runs out of options and instead of passing out again he just resorts to becoming like Aldridge
Kobe Bryant forever
GO LAKERS
8-)
Liam_Gallagher
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,956

Post#4 » by Liam_Gallagher » Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:04 pm

He should be taking threes. It's a guard-driven league, and the more guard-like Davis can play to go with his elite rebounding and inside presence, the better off we'll be.
tamaraw08
Analyst

Post#5 » by tamaraw08 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:34 pm

Kilroy wrote:Maybe the numbers don't support it, but I'm way more comfortable with AD taking 3s than I am with just about anyone else on the team. So while fundamentally, I view 7'ers taking a bunch of 3s as a gimmick offense, I'm cool with AD shooting them. Maybe about 4 a game on average, or more if the D gives them to him.
That's kind of his thing.

I'm not cool with him taking long fall-away 2s though... Either get your ass in the paint or pop out and shoot a 3... He's terrible in mid range.

Yes, you are right the numbers don't support it and I am betting opposing coaches would be ecstatic with him taking a bunch of them instead of him going going hard and take it to the rim where he shoots 76% as compared for generating 3pts for his 3.4 attempts from the 3pt area. Yes, opposing teams would do everything possible to clog the low block and prevent AD from wreaking havoc inside and it includes daring him to take those shots from beyond 24 feet. IMO, AD should be judicious and decide what is the type of shot that would have the highest % of a successful FG? I disagree that AD should be taking them when it is given to him, Shaq would have been dared to take them too if it meant minimizing his enormous production. I think of Ben Simmons who has a TS% of 60.8% as compared to Embiid's 59% and Joel is a much more talented player than Ben. BTW James has a TS% of 57% and my guess if if Lebron and Embidd take less 3pt shots, that their TS% would be much higher.
SweetTouch
RealGM
And1: 2,956

Post#6 » by SweetTouch » Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:51 pm

With how he’s looking in the paint
3 >2

Take them young blood
Stop being so disrespectful.
bb22
Starter
And1: 984

Post#7 » by bb22 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:37 pm

Agree. He needs to take them and make them for this Lakers to have a successful post-season. Seems like shoots them best on the left baseline. Overall, he's shooting about 36% on catch and shoot 3s when open (>6ft).
Dmagic
Pro Prospect
And1: 297

Post#8 » by Dmagic » Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:51 am

AD is going to be a lot tougher mentally and physically come playoff time.
He has been getting much necessary criticism for his finesse slash at times soft play. I do believe he will man up in the playoffs bc he dont want that smoke for 1. And 2 he is better than that. Yeah I'm cool with him taking 3s as long as he is. I appreciate his make up for offense and aggression and manliness on the defensive end. Vogel had it right. Take 5
Landsberger
General Manager
And1: 1,969

Post#9 » by Landsberger » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:40 am

Bigs who can't score in the paint but can shoot from deep should pursue more shots from 3 IMHO. Guys like Davis, who shoot just about 70% in the paint while drawing fouls should shoot very few. Putting players in foul trouble while scoring at a 70% clip is more valuable than taking a 3 which he may hit at a 35% rate.

You have to think of this in the terms of a team as well. The so called advanced stats are all individual and all discussions of it center on the individual aspect of this. If you have better shooters from 3 on the floor you set them up for a 3 while Davis shoots very well in the paint and draws fouls you set him up there.

Sure a few 3's to loosen the defense but you misuse him when you let him shoot 3 or 4 3's a game. This is just the evaluating his probability of scoring. Having him near or in the paint also results in offensive rebounds for himself or others because teams concentrate on him so much. Also if he's on the block teams shift their entire defense to him usually opening up opportunities for others.
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,298

Post#10 » by Dr Aki » Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:53 am

They're fine, they're within the flow of the offense.

I'd rather he stop taking long fadeaway 2s though. Or at least turn it into a running hook in the paint
dAdo dA dEvil
Sixth Man
And1: 476

Post#11 » by dAdo dA dEvil » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:17 am

It's fine that he take 3s. He could actually hit them and sometimes he gets the And 1. Take it when it's there or if the defense gives it.
NippySudz
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,460

Post#12 » by NippySudz » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:45 am

Read on Twitter
?lang=en

Read on Twitter
?lang=en
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27920544/only-one-game-lakers-really-need-ad-hit-jumpers

He's efficient in the corner 3's iirc. its the shortest shot. I think he should take maybe 3-4 a game. Not force it but work it within the flow of the offense. I think that's the amount gentry wanted him to shoot it before he joined the lakers.

I think if you really want AD to maximize himself in the playoffs, shooting 3s will help, but he has to get DEEP paint touches. He's super lethal in the paint, but against elite teams, which are the most physical teams, he shys away from the contact. Its one reason he doesn't want to play the 5 because its too physical, but he needs to adjust to the physicality.

Some people on laker twitter are comparing him to the 08 gasol where people criticize him for not playing physical enough and shying away from the contact.

Read on Twitter

He's 6'11. Zion is a tank and zion was moving him around. We can excuse zion, he's a genetic freak, he bullies everyone but montrezl harrell shouldn't be able to stop AD from entering the paint. Montrezl is not known as a paint defender. Patrick Patterson 3rd stringer off the bench, shouldn't be able to match up with ad defensively. Tatum/brown shouldn't be able to bother you. The defense wants AD to take jumpers. AD has to find a way to take the physicality and dominant the paint
tamaraw08
Analyst

Post#13 » by tamaraw08 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:07 pm

NippySudz wrote:
Read on Twitter
?lang=en

Read on Twitter
?lang=en
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27920544/only-one-game-lakers-really-need-ad-hit-jumpers

He's efficient in the corner 3's iirc. its the shortest shot. I think he should take maybe 3-4 a game. Not force it but work it within the flow of the offense. I think that's the amount gentry wanted him to shoot it before he joined the lakers.

I think if you really want AD to maximize himself in the playoffs, shooting 3s will help, but he has to get DEEP paint touches. He's super lethal in the paint, but against elite teams, which are the most physical teams, he shys away from the contact. Its one reason he doesn't want to play the 5 because its too physical, but he needs to adjust to the physicality.

Some people on laker twitter are comparing him to the 08 gasol where people criticize him for not playing physical enough and shying away from the contact.

Read on Twitter

He's 6'11. Zion is a tank and zion was moving him around. We can excuse zion, he's a genetic freak, he bullies everyone but montrezl harrell shouldn't be able to stop AD from entering the paint. Montrezl is not known as a paint defender. Patrick Patterson 3rd stringer off the bench, shouldn't be able to match up with ad defensively. Tatum/brown shouldn't be able to bother you. The defense wants AD to take jumpers. AD has to find a way to take the physicality and dominant the paint

There are super tough players who barely gets hurt or injured then there are the brittle ones like Lonzo who will miss games with contacts that normal players usually endure, reminds me of The movie starring Bruce Willis called unbreakable.
Like your take, Lansberger's points were very logical too, I have to believe AD feels that forearm and shoulder checks that defenders usually gives him when he positions himself on the low block. A lot of Lakers fans firmly believe that the Lakers' chance of beating the Clips is that great bec AD would simply dominate the shorter Harrell etc. but I cringe to think this is not the case esp witnessing how the 6-6 Jaylen Brown neutralized AD. The last possession in the Allstars when he dove from the weakside after noticing the shorter Lowry was guarding him made so much sense and yet although AD didn't winced after Kyle attempted to deflect the pass subsequently bumped AD, I can't help but wonder if AD actually is capable of enduring those contacts for like 20 times every game, this is where Vogel needs to find ways to minimize those blows like assigning teammates to provide picks from the weakside to create mismatches etc, but I digress.
For me, ground rules has to be established.
1. If AD wants to take those 3's, find the spots where he is comfortable AND he has to practice them hard and show he makes them at a high %.
2. teammates like Dwight etc has to be well positioned for possible rebounds.
3. Let success be his guide, if he bricks the first couple, he needs to stop.
NippySudz
Assistant Coach

Post#14 » by NippySudz » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:48 pm

tamaraw08 wrote:
NippySudz wrote:
Read on Twitter
?lang=en

Read on Twitter
?lang=en

Read on Twitter

There are super tough players who barely gets hurt or injured then there are the brittle ones like Lonzo who will miss games with contacts that normal players usually endure, reminds me of The movie starring Bruce Willis called unbreakable.
Like your take, Lansberger's points were very logical too, I have to believe AD feels that forearm and shoulder checks that defenders usually gives him when he positions himself on the low block. A lot of Lakers fans firmly believe that the Lakers' chance of beating the Clips is that great bec AD would simply dominate the shorter Harrell etc. but I cringe to think this is not the case esp witnessing how the 6-6 Jaylen Brown neutralized AD. The last possession in the Allstars when he dove from the weakside after noticing the shorter Lowry was guarding him made so much sense and yet although AD didn't winced after Kyle attempted to deflect the pass subsequently bumped AD, I can't help but wonder if AD actually is capable of enduring those contacts for like 20 times every game, this is where Vogel needs to find ways to minimize those blows like assigning teammates to provide picks from the weakside to create mismatches etc, but I digress.
1. If AD wants to take those 3's, find the spots where he is comfortable AND he has to practice them hard and show he makes them at a high %.
I mentioned this in the general board but as much as ad is playing well this year, if Kobe was playing, he'd demand even more from Anthony Davis.

When you have a big guy like that that's 3rd in interior scoring, and he doesn't get shots in the fourth quarter, something's wrong with that. That needs to change in the playoffs and it will but to what effect

If Kobe was playing with him, he's tell him "stop being soft and get deep post positioning so we can toss it to you in the 4th because once you're deep, no one can stop you,
" kinda thing

I don't think LeBron should be the lead scorer in the 4th by a wide margin when you have a big like AD. I know he's a finesse player but they need to find someways of exploiting mismatches and AD cannot allow small guys like trez Harrell or even smaller jaylen brown to stop him from getting deep. Harrell is a little more understandable than jaylen brown but still kinda inexcusable

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk
NippySudz
Assistant Coach

Post#15 » by NippySudz » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:55 pm

Landsberger wrote:Bigs who can't score in the paint but can shoot from deep should pursue more shots from 3 IMHO. Guys like Davis, who shoot just about 70% in the paint while drawing fouls should shoot very few. Putting players in foul trouble while scoring at a 70% clip is more valuable than taking a 3 which he may hit at a 35% rate.

You have to think of this in the terms of a team as well. The so called advanced stats are all individual and all discussions of it center on the individual aspect of this. If you have better shooters from 3 on the floor you set them up for a 3 while Davis shoots very well in the paint and draws fouls you set him up there.

Sure a few 3's to loosen the defense but you misuse him when you let him shoot 3 or 4 3's a game. This is just the evaluating his probability of scoring. Having him near or in the paint also results in offensive rebounds for himself or others because teams concentrate on him so much. Also if he's on the block teams shift their entire defense to him usually opening up opportunities for others.
3-4 a game is not that much. That's one per quarter at most on average. If he takes one per quarter, that's fine.

If you told me a player played 40 mins, but only took 3 threes a game, you'd tell me that's not that much threes.

That's how the playoffs are going to be.

Taking more than 4 would be an issue.

tamaraw08
Analyst

Post#16 » by tamaraw08 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:07 pm

NippySudz wrote:
tamaraw08 wrote:
NippySudz wrote:
Read on Twitter
?lang=en

Read on Twitter
?lang=en

Read on Twitter

I mentioned this in the general board but as much as ad is playing well this year, if Kobe was playing, he'd demand even more from Anthony Davis.

When you have a big guy like that that's 3rd in interior scoring, and he doesn't get shots in the fourth quarter, something's wrong with that. That needs to change in the playoffs and it will but to what effect

If Kobe was playing with him, he's tell him "stop being soft and get deep post positioning so we can toss it to you in the 4th because once you're deep, no one can stop you,
" kinda thing

AD is not stupid, I think he knows the most efficient way is to take those shots inside but again I'm betting he's feeling the hits in his ribs, arms, shoulders etc. He also has the Joel Embiid mentality trying to show to everyone that they are SO MUCH MORE than a stiff center who bangs bodies and dunk, displaying their fancy footwork, handles, that Hakeem spin etc. They also has a lot of pride, Lebron getting on his case about being "soft" might create some friction like when MJ constantly berating Kwame, resulting to him getting therapy so he has to pick his battles. I'm sure Rondo and DMC etc have challenged him including Lebron before, that is why he is playing through the pain, times he would normally walk to the dug out for good if they were not there.
Pat Riley revealed in his book who he sat Kareem privately without any teammates and showed a compilation of clips on how other players beat him for rebounds and let him absorb it without rebuking him and it worked without drama.

I don't think LeBron should be the lead scorer in the 4th by a wide margin when you have a big like AD. I know he's a finesse player but they need to find someways of exploiting mismatches and AD cannot allow small guys like trez Harrell or even smaller jaylen brown to stop him from getting deep. Harrell is a little more understandable than jaylen brown but still kinda inexcusable

3-4 a game is not that much. That's one per quarter at most on average. If he takes one per quarter, that's fine.

If you told me a player played 40 mins, but only took 3 threes a game, you'd tell me that's not that much threes.

That's how the playoffs are going to be.

Taking more than 4 would be an issue.

3 3pt attempts is not much but I noticed AD has been taking them late 3rd and 4th quarters the more crucial times when possessions are more valued :o
The late 4th quarter sets where Lebron at times would hold the ball and take a low % shot is not efficient and I am hoping AND PRAYING Vogel AND his staff have several sets saved for the playoffs where they can get a much higher % shot. It was reported that Pelinka demanded to read the scouting reports prepared by Luke's staff last year and he was disappointed. I'm hoping he would also demand accountability not just from Frank but also Kidd and Hollins to contribute, come up with the best strategies come playoff time, even a simple rub, solid pick from the weakside to free up Davis which results to an easy 5 foot shot etc.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers