ImageImageImageImageImage

Can we talk about why Vogel hates Markieff Morris ?

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

Kingdibs19
Starter
And1: 3,614

Can we talk about why Vogel hates Markieff Morris ? 

Post#1 » by Kingdibs19 » Thu Aug 6, 2020 1:15 am

Markieff signed here hoping to be a contributor on a contender. He’s not even getting garbage minutes over Giannis’ brother. Why’s he in Vogel’s doghouse ?
Beethoven
Head Coach
And1: 3,832

Re: Can we talk about why Vogel hates Markieff Morris ? 

Post#2 » by Beethoven » Thu Aug 6, 2020 1:39 am

Hate? Who's hating? Vogel has his reasons im sure.
Kobe Bryant forever
GO LAKERS
8-)
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,335

Post#3 » by Dr Aki » Thu Aug 6, 2020 2:12 am

Morris was signed to be a good defensive matchup to the bigger wings in the league i.e. Kawhi, PG.

He's also had less of a training camp so maybe he's allowed to work himself into game shape slowly
tamaraw08
Analyst
And1: 1,288

Post#4 » by tamaraw08 » Thu Aug 6, 2020 7:48 pm

Dr Aki wrote:Morris was signed to be a good defensive matchup to the bigger wings in the league i.e. Kawhi, PG.

He's also had less of a training camp so maybe he's allowed to work himself into game shape slowly

You have legit points but doesn't playing him more minutes help him more to get into shape by burning those calories instead of languishing in the bench? I felt Phil played Shaq extensive minutes for the same reason before.
Also, it's a bit confusing on why Vogel would rather play the slower and fatter Dudley and the super raw Giannis' brother instead of him. If we can't gather info before, now it's even worst with them located in Orlando but Frank must have a combo of reasons why this is happening.
1. Not sharp during practices, making same mistakes and slow on rotations.
2. Disengage and/or late during team meetings and film sessions.
3. Not connecting well with teammates and coaching staff.
PKABOOICU
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,128

Post#5 » by PKABOOICU » Thu Aug 6, 2020 8:47 pm

I want to see more of Morris. At this point, I feel like he was just a response to the Clippers getting his brother. I also want to see JR Smith shooting more 3s. Plays designed for him as well as Danny Green.
tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,926

Post#6 » by tugs » Fri Aug 7, 2020 3:18 am

Getting some burn now
Greyhound
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,722

Post#7 » by Greyhound » Sat Aug 8, 2020 1:13 am

Dr Aki wrote:Morris was signed to be a good defensive matchup to the bigger wings in the league i.e. Kawhi, PG.

Morris is not a wing, he is a stretch PF with the ability to switch out on smaller players.

He is more likely to be utilized as a small ball five then a wing.

His brother Marcus fits your description better. Marcus is a PF/SF type while Markieff is more of a PF/C.
Don't believe the hype...
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,335

Post#8 » by Dr Aki » Sat Aug 8, 2020 1:19 am

Greyhound wrote:

Morris is not a wing, he is a stretch PF with the ability to switch out on smaller players.

His brother Marcus fits your description better. Marcus is a PF/SF type while Markieff is more of a PF/C.

At the stage of the season we got him, he was basically all we could get
Greyhound
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,722

Post#9 » by Greyhound » Sat Aug 8, 2020 3:58 am

Dr Aki wrote:
Greyhound wrote:

At the stage of the season we got him, he was basically all we could get

What he offers is good in itself. He allows the team a capable stretch PF (with toughness and experience) to utilize alongside Davis at Center. He and Kuzma give the Lakers great flexibility on that front. They can also give defensive minutes against big wings when switched.

Davis at center, as much as possible, will be the Lakers end game. Markieff Morris helps facilitate that.
Don't believe the hype...
Beethoven
Head Coach
And1: 3,832

Post#10 » by Beethoven » Sat Aug 8, 2020 6:51 pm

Markieff reminds me of Alonzo in Training Day
Kobe Bryant forever
GO LAKERS
8-)
Speedlot
Lead Assistant
And1: 697

Post#11 » by Speedlot » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:17 pm

I trust Vogel
slifersd
Analyst
And1: 210

Post#12 » by slifersd » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:27 pm

He is a good fit in specific matchups but maybe not in our base lineup. To be frank, McGee has basically been useless since the restart, who's to say Dwight doesn't move into the starting lineup and leave all the backup 4 and 5 min to Markieff in the playoffs?
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,545

Post#13 » by stan francisco » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:19 am

McGee is a rhythm player, needs his windup minutes to kick it into high gear. He’ll get there soon.

Morris needs to move his feet a bit more on defense to get some more burn.
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,190

Post#14 » by LAKESHOW » Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:38 am

just get us to the final 4
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
Vae Victus
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,838

Post#15 » by Vae Victus » Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:31 pm

slifersd wrote:He is a good fit in specific matchups but maybe not in our base lineup. To be frank, McGee has basically been useless since the restart, who's to say Dwight doesn't move into the starting lineup and leave all the backup 4 and 5 min to Markieff in the playoffs?

This sounds like a good idea. Players who are sucking shoudl be cut out of the rotation and the Lakers can easily go with a DHo/AD C rotation, as we go into the playoffs. Kuzma has been playing his best ball of the season in the bubble, so i want him to get more mins. Kieff needs to produce if he does get thrown in there, he's less skilled than his twin Marcus, but according to advanced stats he does the little things on the inside way better, so he needs to do all the lunch pail stuff when AD is at the 5.

It is concerning that Kieff isnt even getting garbage mins and we're seeing Dudley getting any sort of burn.
kblo247
RealGM
And1: 2,130

Post#16 » by kblo247 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:55 am

Vae Victus wrote:
slifersd wrote:He is a good fit in specific matchups but maybe not in our base lineup. To be frank, McGee has basically been useless since the restart, who's to say Dwight doesn't move into the starting lineup and leave all the backup 4 and 5 min to Markieff in the playoffs?

This sounds like a good idea. Players who are sucking shoudl be cut out of the rotation and the Lakers can easily go with a DHo/AD C rotation, as we go into the playoffs. Kuzma has been playing his best ball of the season in the bubble, so i want him to get more mins. Kieff needs to produce if he does get thrown in there, he's less skilled than his twin Marcus, but according to advanced stats he does the little things on the inside way better, so he needs to do all the lunch pail stuff when AD is at the 5.

It is concerning that Kieff isnt even getting garbage mins and we're seeing Dudley getting any sort of burn.

You got to remember that Kieff has had multiple neck problems so easing his body into things is probably smart

Return to Los Angeles Lakers