ImageImageImageImageImage

Portland series, adjustments for GM 2

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

BEazy
RealGM
And1: 2,483

Re: Portland series, adjustments for GM 2 

Post#21 » by BEazy » Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:29 pm

Keep the ball out of Lillard's hands as much as possible. That's the key to the whole series. I know easier said than done, but we really need to keep Lillard's scoring to a minimum especially the 4th quarter.

Long Live The Black Mamba. Kobe Bean Bryant Laker For Life. 8/24
kblo247
RealGM
And1: 2,130

Post#22 » by kblo247 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:52 pm

Kilroy wrote:I wouldn't say this all season but I'd be inclined to start Kuz over Green at this point. I don't see anything Green is bringing to the table that Kuz isn't right now. Give him a really short leash if it looks like the smaller/quicker guards start to exploit him, but as long as he's effective on D, let Kuz keep playing.
Basically Kuz and Green are most effective against the same type of player on D right now... They're good at guarding small slow forwards... But Kuz is a little more flexible so far in the bubble.
I'd start Waiters, Caruso, Kuz, AD, McGee... Only because you can't play Dwight all game and McGee is best for his limited minutes to start or after HT...
If Rondo's ready, I'd start him over Waiters, for the same reason as McGee.
I'd have a hair trigger getting Green and Dwight in the game though if Kuz gets exploited, and I feel like Morris is a nice body to throw at Whiteside.

But all things considered, I feel like no matter who we start, it still comes down to how aggressive LeBron is. The rest of the team is going to feed off him if he goes into beast mode... So just unleash it and the rest will fall into place.

You benching Lebron in your scenario?
lazybatman
Sixth Man
And1: 876

Post#23 » by lazybatman » Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:20 pm

Ball so hard wrote:
lazybatman wrote:
slifersd wrote:Start Caruso, bench Green or KCP. Neither Green nor KCP earned the right for any minute and in all honesty shouldn't play at all if JR or Dion can contribute at all;

Bench McGee for Howard. McGee, even at his best, was not a good post defender and can't really box out bigger centers like Nurk and Whtieside. His current form basically makes him useless so off the bench he goes to shoot his vlog;

Give Rondo all the minutes his body can handle. I know it's unpopular but Rondo is our only other playmaker other than lebron. We already struggle with shooting and need Rondo's ability to set up the offense correctly and give guys their open shots. I might even play Rondo with LBJ at this point so LBJ can focus more on scoring. Spacing would be bad but it's not like it's good right now;

Increase Kuz's minutes at the expense of Green or even AD if he can't get it going. Kuz has been good in the bubble and we are short on guys who are in form right now. We need to utilize the hot hand not bench him because Green has "playoff pedigree". If Davis insists on being Dirk Jr, then he can go sit down too since his **** jumpers were a problem for us on offense;

I would give Dion a few more minutes in this game just to see what he can do. I mean, I hate that we are still experiementing with lineups in the playoffs but well, Vogel didn't do crap during the bubble games so it is what it is at this point. Again, KCP and Green have done nothing in Orlando, so let's not keep banging our heads against the same wall and expect a different result.

I like that. Dion is hungry and can be advantageous given the funk our shooters are in.

I'm okay with Green scoring 5-10 every night over 30 mins, cos of his savvy defense. So, essentially, I'd start Caruso+Green against Dame+CJ and perhaps the rest of the playoffs. Let KCP, Dion, JR, Cook, Dud and THT earn their minutes based on whose hot(or less cold :lol: :lol: ) that day.

Also more Morris/AD at Center minutes to torch Whiteside as soon as we see him.

I'm ok with keeping Green in the starting lineup also. It is quite clear that we can't start KCP + Green in the same backcourt. I'm a bit hesitant to put Caruso in the starting lineup due to his inept offense. With regard to who's worse on offense right now, It's probably a toss up between he and KCP. We're not going to stop Dame or CJ; at the very least we should have someone who can have either of those 2 exert some energy on defense. This is one of the reasons why i'm in favor or starting Waiters. Another reason is Waiters' ball handling ability. Neither Danny nor KCP can dribble... both these guys are almost solely spot up shooters on offense.

True true.. Waiters does bring the playmaking we're badly missing without Rondo. And outside of one game, he's been pretty steady offensively through the warm up games. Maybe spread his minutes out more though to cover the Lebron bench minutes.

I feel the lack of depth in Caruso's game too, but him and Green are the best switch wing defenders on Dame+CJ, so I chose him to start. But if Dion, KCP, Cook, JR are hot on the night and can cancel off their production, by all means ride the hot hand, which Vogel and Kidd just can't seem to do.
lazybatman
Sixth Man

Post#24 » by lazybatman » Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:26 pm

ScHoolBoy B wrote:Keep the ball out of Lillard's hands as much as possible. That's the key to the whole series. I know easier said than done, but we really need to keep Lillard's scoring to a minimum especially the 4th quarter.

That's impossible man.. dude's got the the total package. Bradley could've restricted him to lesser points / efficiency. But, we got no one with that kinda technique, footwork, agility and defensive awareness anymore to do that. Lillard's as hot as a player can possibly get right now. I can't figure how we can stop him.

I was happy he only scored 34 last game, after sitting on a quiet no sweat 23 at half time.
chefy
Head Coach
And1: 650

Post#25 » by chefy » Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:32 pm

Please win.
lazybatman
Sixth Man

Post#26 » by lazybatman » Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:49 pm

Kilroy wrote:I wouldn't say this all season but I'd be inclined to start Kuz over Green at this point. I don't see anything Green is bringing to the table that Kuz isn't right now. Give him a really short leash if it looks like the smaller/quicker guards start to exploit him, but as long as he's effective on D, let Kuz keep playing.
Basically Kuz and Green are most effective against the same type of player on D right now... They're good at guarding small slow forwards... But Kuz is a little more flexible so far in the bubble.
I'd start Waiters, Caruso, Kuz, AD, McGee... Only because you can't play Dwight all game and McGee is best for his limited minutes to start or after HT...
If Rondo's ready, I'd start him over Waiters, for the same reason as McGee.
I'd have a hair trigger getting Green and Dwight in the game though if Kuz gets exploited, and I feel like Morris is a nice body to throw at Whiteside.

But all things considered, I feel like no matter who we start, it still comes down to how aggressive LeBron is. The rest of the team is going to feed off him if he goes into beast mode... So just unleash it and the rest will fall into place.

Kuz was(bubble game against Lowry in the final minutes) and will get scorched by the likes of CJ / Dame. He has extremely poor defensive technique and footwork. Credit where it's due, he has picked up his defense substantially since last year on help coverage, recovering on drivebys and 50-50 plays, but I couldn't see him hanging with the quicker guards at all.

I'd start Dwight against Nurk just to build on our advantage in the last game and keep him and McGee out for AD/Morris/Kuz as soon as Whiteside enters as a counter.

Yeah, more bench minutes for Waiters, till Rondo's back to productive minutes, then stagger him.. Remember, he takes his own time to get going too, just like KCP.

I'll go with Caruso+Green starting wings cos of superior defense, cos the offensive difference between all our wings doesn't justify anyone else for me.

Caruso Green
Bron AD Dwight
Beethoven
Head Coach
And1: 3,834

Post#27 » by Beethoven » Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:49 am

Also add another adjustment. ...have blazers go stone cold brick.
Kobe Bryant forever
GO LAKERS
8-)
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,191

Post#28 » by LAKESHOW » Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:12 am

Im seeing some things that just might turn things around. and i dont mean for the 1st round. But something we can utilize throughout the playoffs to our advantage. LEBRON in the post.
Home of the 17 Time World Champions

Return to Los Angeles Lakers