ImageImageImageImageImage

How Can The Lakers Improve For 2021

Moderators: TyCobb, Kilroy, Danny Darko

thomas1897
Junior
Posts: 266
And1: 61
Joined: Jul 31, 2012

How Can The Lakers Improve For 2021 

Post#1 » by thomas1897 » Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:00 am

The Lakers have to improve their current roster or there is a remote possibility of not repeating for a second consecutive championship. So does anyone in Lakerland have any ideas. I welcome the opportunity to entertain your ideas and opinions. Thanks
IAMRANDYMARSH
Starter
Posts: 2,204
And1: 358
Joined: Jan 02, 2015
       

Re: How Can The Lakers Improve For 2021 

Post#2 » by IAMRANDYMARSH » Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:22 am

There's a few threads for this, but still fun to discuss.

The season starts in just two months so continuity is going to be key. IMO we should just roll most of it back if we can.
Rondo needs to be brought back, or replaced. We need one of McGee and Dwight to come back. Or find a replacement. Then we need to re-sign KCP.
Other than that, we could use an extra wing defender. And we could use a couple of guys that could give us a different look offensively - a stretch-big, a shooter that can come off screens, an attack guard etc.
User avatar
chefy
Head Coach
Posts: 6,696
And1: 476
Joined: Aug 14, 2006

Re: How Can The Lakers Improve For 2021 

Post#3 » by chefy » Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:15 pm

Keep the core and get the best available talent in the free agency and worry about fit later.
User avatar
Beethoven
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,136
And1: 1,815
Joined: May 03, 2012
Location: Utopian Dystopia
 

Re: How Can The Lakers Improve For 2021 

Post#4 » by Beethoven » Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:12 pm

I'd say the whole of rondo kcp Mcgee/Dwight (w CHAMPIONSHIP experience) is by far greater than any 3rd "star" management may be tinkering to bring in(beal Paul et al) in a sign and trades or whatever.

The by-committee 3rd star power of this group we have is important to our team's structure/function, chemistry, etc everything.

We have to get them what they are worth now what they may be asking for in pay. Management has to make this priority over anything else right now.
Stay humble
Don't assume anything
Play hard
Win the championship

Kobe Bryant forever
Image
LakersSoul
Head Coach
Posts: 6,055
And1: 4,136
Joined: Jul 03, 2016

Re: How Can The Lakers Improve For 2021 

Post#5 » by LakersSoul » Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:10 am

Bigs:
Return Dwight.
McGee could go but I think he opts-in.

If one member is gone or possibly let go of Dudley (even as a bench glue guy) and bring in a stretch 5 like Olynyk or Leonard. If not a stretch 5, I would love a defensive 5 like Whiteside.

We have AD and Bron but Green is getting older and Kuzma is improving but still not the defensive or knock-down shooting wing that we need. Would love to add Harkless or Bertans or better yet a 3&D draft (Reed, Bey, Nwora or McDaniels or Diane). We needs to add 1-2 wings and add youth.

As for our guards, I like it. We missed ABradley but that still didn’t pose a problem with Playoff Rondo. Hopefully we have Rondo and AB back but I think we are solid with THT giving us depth. We could let Cook, JR go. Waiters could be an interesting option for us.

"LeBron + AD to rule the West.
Return of the King, the Lakers."
stan francisco
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,113
And1: 1,122
Joined: Oct 20, 2015
 

Re: How Can The Lakers Improve For 2021 

Post#6 » by stan francisco » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:42 am

Defense is a hard one to improve. I don’t think I’ve ever seen better defense than we played in game 6 of the finals. Don’t see how we can improve it much.

Rest of team is our third star, indeed. We don’t need to gut and pay heavy for a third name. Re-sign everyone if at all possible, which it won’t be unless ring chasers knock on our door.

There will be roster changes.

No CP3, please. No Oladipo. Quality role players is all we need.
2020-2021 rotations, regular season
PG: Caruso 20 | Schroeder 24 | THT 4
SG: Pope 20 | THT 16 | Matthews 12
SF: James 30 | Kuzma 16 | Dudley 2
PF: AD 28 | Harrell 12 | Kuzma 6 | Morrris 2
C: Drummond 24 | Gasol 12 | Harrell 10 | Kostas 2
IAMRANDYMARSH
Starter
Posts: 2,204
And1: 358
Joined: Jan 02, 2015
       

Re: How Can The Lakers Improve For 2021 

Post#7 » by IAMRANDYMARSH » Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:49 am

Beethoven wrote:I'd say the whole of rondo kcp Mcgee/Dwight (w CHAMPIONSHIP experience) is by far greater than any 3rd "star" management may be tinkering to bring in(beal Paul et al) in a sign and trades or whatever.

The by-committee 3rd star power of this group we have is important to our team's structure/function, chemistry, etc everything.

We have to get them what they are worth now what they may be asking for in pay. Management has to make this priority over anything else right now.


This is spot on. With the season starting as early as late december i think continuity is going to be important so we should just roll it back if we can and then adress specific needs.

The question is whether that is possible and if it's possible to actually roll things back witout giving up flexibility in 2021.
stan francisco
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,113
And1: 1,122
Joined: Oct 20, 2015
 

Re: How Can The Lakers Improve For 2021 

Post#8 » by stan francisco » Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:54 pm

Beethoven wrote:I'd say the whole of rondo kcp Mcgee/Dwight (w CHAMPIONSHIP experience) is by far greater than any 3rd "star" management may be tinkering to bring in(beal Paul et al) in a sign and trades or whatever.

The by-committee 3rd star power of this group we have is important to our team's structure/function, chemistry, etc everything.

We have to get them what they are worth now what they may be asking for in pay. Management has to make this priority over anything else right now.


Agreed 100%.

I’d try to acquire Josh Jackson on the cheap for his developing defense(!) and running the flanks. He can finish around the rim.

I’d also look into Bertans who has the best shot form in the NBA since Pistol Pete. Defense or not, he’ll open up our offense to where you basically can’t defend us anymore. If it takes giving up Green and filler like Waiters or Quinn Cook or more to get him, I’d do it.

I’m willing to part ways with Waiters, JR Smith, Quinn Cook, Dudley, JMG.

Kostas can soon do all that JMG does, and more. Beast in the making. He’ll start emergingvthis year. THT is ready to take the minutes Waiters, Smith, Cook used to get.

Don’t part with:
LBJ
AD
Kostas
THT
Rondo
Howard
Bradley

All else, I’m listening.

Green, Kuzma, Bradley, KCP, JMG will be coveted by other teams in trade.Fillers: Cook, Smith, Waiters. I’d expect to see movement within that group.

Can’t wait to see what nugget we steal in the draft this year.
2020-2021 rotations, regular season
PG: Caruso 20 | Schroeder 24 | THT 4
SG: Pope 20 | THT 16 | Matthews 12
SF: James 30 | Kuzma 16 | Dudley 2
PF: AD 28 | Harrell 12 | Kuzma 6 | Morrris 2
C: Drummond 24 | Gasol 12 | Harrell 10 | Kostas 2
LAKESHOW
RealGM
Posts: 14,545
And1: 3,067
Joined: Mar 14, 2002
Location: HOME OF THE 17 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!

Re: How Can The Lakers Improve For 2021 

Post#9 » by LAKESHOW » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:34 pm

I think Dwight will return. His girlfriend or fiance plays for LA. Thats all I got so far
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
stan francisco
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,113
And1: 1,122
Joined: Oct 20, 2015
 

Re: How Can The Lakers Improve For 2021 

Post#10 » by stan francisco » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:54 pm

LAKESHOW wrote:I think Dwight will return. His girlfriend or fiance plays for LA. Thats all I got so far


That’s good! I hope Rondo comes back next. I’d hate to have to face him with another team.

I’m hoping that AD puts pressure on Rob to keep DMC and Rondo here. I think he will.
2020-2021 rotations, regular season
PG: Caruso 20 | Schroeder 24 | THT 4
SG: Pope 20 | THT 16 | Matthews 12
SF: James 30 | Kuzma 16 | Dudley 2
PF: AD 28 | Harrell 12 | Kuzma 6 | Morrris 2
C: Drummond 24 | Gasol 12 | Harrell 10 | Kostas 2
lazybatman
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,644
And1: 795
Joined: Jun 28, 2019
   

Re: How Can The Lakers Improve For 2021 

Post#11 » by lazybatman » Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:39 pm

stan francisco wrote:
LAKESHOW wrote:I think Dwight will return. His girlfriend or fiance plays for LA. Thats all I got so far


That’s good! I hope Rondo comes back next. I’d hate to have to face him with another team.

I’m hoping that AD puts pressure on Rob to keep DMC and Rondo here. I think he will.

Yeah.. counting on it.

Really hoping Boogie has healed well this tile around with the prolonged rest. He's gonna add such a massive dimension to our offense. Lebron's offense gets to another dimension with a genuine stretch 5. And Boogie can do a lot more than just stretch 5 on his own.

Hope we can bring in a couple of A-level 3D wings like Bertans / Gallo, etc for Green and pieces. And a couple of vet minumums like Korver.
User avatar
Dr Aki
RealGM
Posts: 30,073
And1: 19,765
Joined: Mar 03, 2008
Location: Sydney, Australia
   

Re: How Can The Lakers Improve For 2021 

Post#12 » by Dr Aki » Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:58 pm

More 3 and D wings.

Not less, not trading DG or Kuz for better ones. Not 3 and no D wings, not D and no 3 wings.

More 3 AND D wings.

More! Extra! Additional! Maybe just 1 more is enough
Image
IAMRANDYMARSH
Starter
Posts: 2,204
And1: 358
Joined: Jan 02, 2015
       

Re: How Can The Lakers Improve For 2021 

Post#13 » by IAMRANDYMARSH » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:42 am

Josh Jackson is a good fit for what we need, although he is more of a no-3, good-D wing. What he's done the first 3 seasons is actually quite similar to Ron Artest's first three seasons. Josh jackson is also super competitive and a bit crazy, much like Ron Artest.

His defense is great and while his shooting isn't good it might still be on par with Kuzma's shooting. Overall he's not a negative on offense and would be great running the break. To me he's the type of player to take a chance on and he would be in an ideal position to make the most out of his talents.

Say we signed him on a 3-4M- deal we would have enough to spend on a streth-5 such as Ibaka or Aron Baynes, which would give us a very different look offensively.

Depending on what happens with Bradley, McGee, Dwight, Rondo and KCP we can then see what possible on the trade market with Kuz and 28th.
stan francisco
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,113
And1: 1,122
Joined: Oct 20, 2015
 

Re: How Can The Lakers Improve For 2021 

Post#14 » by stan francisco » Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:27 pm

IAMRANDYMARSH wrote:Josh Jackson is a good fit for what we need, although he is more of a no-3, good-D wing. What he's done the first 3 seasons is actually quite similar to Ron Artest's first three seasons. Josh jackson is also super competitive and a bit crazy, much like Ron Artest.

His defense is great and while his shooting isn't good it might still be on par with Kuzma's shooting. Overall he's not a negative on offense and would be great running the break. To me he's the type of player to take a chance on and he would be in an ideal position to make the most out of his talents.

Say we signed him on a 3-4M- deal we would have enough to spend on a streth-5 such as Ibaka or Aron Baynes, which would give us a very different look offensively.

Depending on what happens with Bradley, McGee, Dwight, Rondo and KCP we can then see what possible on the trade market with Kuz and 28th.


I’m all for Josh Jackson. He has the right intensity. Defense and running the flanks on the break is more important than 3PT %. Defense!
2020-2021 rotations, regular season
PG: Caruso 20 | Schroeder 24 | THT 4
SG: Pope 20 | THT 16 | Matthews 12
SF: James 30 | Kuzma 16 | Dudley 2
PF: AD 28 | Harrell 12 | Kuzma 6 | Morrris 2
C: Drummond 24 | Gasol 12 | Harrell 10 | Kostas 2
User avatar
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 18,701
And1: 19,691
Joined: Jul 13, 2014

Re: How Can The Lakers Improve For 2021 

Post#15 » by zimpy27 » Thu Apr 1, 2021 8:41 am

I wonder if Lakers really did have to improve their roster? Instead of running it back and picking up buyouts.

They could have given Rondo $7m, kept Howard on a minimum deal and kept McGee at $4m. Picking up Gasol would have been easy, adding Matthews still likely happens. Bradley wouldn't have been kept as he wanted money Lakers wouldn't have had. Pick 28 gets signed.

LeBron, KCP, Green, Davis, Gasol
Rondo, Caruso, Matthews, Kuzma, Howard
THT, Dudley, Jaden McDaniels, McGee

They still likely trade McGee at some point, probably moved for a guard. Drummond still probably gets picked up.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
SlimShady83
Head Coach
Posts: 6,595
And1: 784
Joined: Jun 19, 2012

Re: How Can The Lakers Improve For 2021 

Post#16 » by SlimShady83 » Thu Apr 1, 2021 12:40 pm

LeGM will get Drummond to sign Longterm ... AD and AD 5year deal gonna be a thing
LAKESHOW
RealGM
Posts: 14,545
And1: 3,067
Joined: Mar 14, 2002
Location: HOME OF THE 17 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!

Re: How Can The Lakers Improve For 2021 

Post#17 » by LAKESHOW » Thu Apr 1, 2021 2:28 pm

zimpy27 wrote:I wonder if Lakers really did have to improve their roster? Instead of running it back and picking up buyouts.

They could have given Rondo $7m, kept Howard on a minimum deal and kept McGee at $4m. Picking up Gasol would have been easy, adding Matthews still likely happens. Bradley wouldn't have been kept as he wanted money Lakers wouldn't have had. Pick 28 gets signed.

LeBron, KCP, Green, Davis, Gasol
Rondo, Caruso, Matthews, Kuzma, Howard
THT, Dudley, Jaden McDaniels, McGee

They still likely trade McGee at some point, probably moved for a guard. Drummond still probably gets picked up.

I've been saying this all along. The Less, the better. Unnecessary to drop dwight and Mcgee, as they protect AD.
Home of the 17 Time World Champions

Return to Los Angeles Lakers