ImageImageImageImageImage

We got Harrell!!

Moderators: Danny Darko, Kilroy, TyCobb

Hank7
Junior
And1: 68

Re: We got Harrell!! 

Post#61 » by Hank7 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:28 pm

As good a signing as this is for the Lakers ... it's even more devastating to the Clippers because Harrell was not only a playmaker but an emotional leader on that team.
Hank7
Junior

Post#62 » by Hank7 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:31 pm

leeprettyp wrote:I like it. Real good value as well. Going to love that P&R game with LBJ & Trez

He should play really well with Schroeder as well, as he did with Lou Williams.
Spanish_Laker
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,010

Post#63 » by Spanish_Laker » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:53 pm

I'd rather have kept Dwight. He was a beast and was totally focused. However, Harrell is a baller and I think it's a very positive addition to bolster our bench.
Banned after 15 years in this forum for no reason. Farewell RealGM users
Beethoven
Head Coach
And1: 3,805

Post#64 » by Beethoven » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:23 pm

Schroder and trez will go off in 2nd and 3rd quarters they'll be making LeBron and AD take naps on the bench
Kobe Bryant forever
GO LAKERS
8-)
lautreamont
Junior
And1: 248

Post#65 » by lautreamont » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:27 pm

Spanish_Laker wrote:I'd rather have kept Dwight. He was a beast and was totally focused. However, Harrell is a baller and I think it's a very positive addition to bolster our bench.

I would have liked to see them sign Harrell and keep Dwight but if you have to choose it's not close, Harrell will easily has a bigger impact.
heezyo2o
Starter
And1: 1,243

Post#66 » by heezyo2o » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:17 am

This Harrell deal doesn't seem like such a steal after Ibaka signs for the same money. I definitely would have rather have Ibaka over Harrell
Doug_12
Senior
And1: 440

Post#67 » by Doug_12 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:19 am

I don't really like this signing. I mean, ok, he is a great roll guy, enthusiast as hell, but provides no spacing whatsoever and is a subpar defender. He was clearly misused against Jokic, so I think he should be looking better on D here (w/ guarding forwards more), but I don't expect him to be a positive defender. If he manages not to be a liability, then I'd be happy.

His qualities also make Kuzma being a bit useless (but at least he was able to hit an open 3), so I'd say right now we'd need to trade Kuzma and get either decent 3+D player or a big, defensive C for him.

Maybe a Kuzma+McGee for Noel s'n't + Diallo + future 1st would be the best. Then sign Batum to be the other backup SF and Gasol & Cousins for Cs and call it a day.

EDIT: Well, as Noel is gone, maybe a Kuzma for Gary Trent Jr + Hezonja would make Harrell usable - if the Blazers are willing to do it. Trent was great last year and I can really imagine a Schröder-Caruso-Trent-Harrell-Davis lineup when Lebron is sitting w/ KCP, Matthews and McGee. (Gasol or Cousins would still be needed though if we would like to go big)
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,537

Post#68 » by stan francisco » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:01 pm

Doug_12 wrote:I don't really like this signing. I mean, ok, he is a great roll guy, enthusiast as hell, but provides no spacing whatsoever and is a subpar defender. He was clearly misused against Jokic, so I think he should be looking better on D here (w/ guarding forwards more), but I don't expect him to be a positive defender. If he manages not to be a liability, then I'd be happy.

His qualities also make Kuzma being a bit useless (but at least he was able to hit an open 3), so I'd say right now we'd need to trade Kuzma and get either decent 3+D player or a big, defensive C for him.

Maybe a Kuzma+McGee for Noel s'n't + Diallo + future 1st would be the best. Then sign Batum to be the other backup SF and Gasol & Cousins for Cs and call it a day.

EDIT: Well, as Noel is gone, maybe a Kuzma for Gary Trent Jr + Hezonja would make Harrell usable - if the Blazers are willing to do it. Trent was great last year and I can really imagine a Schröder-Caruso-Trent-Harrell-Davis lineup when Lebron is sitting w/ KCP, Matthews and McGee. (Gasol or Cousins would still be needed though if we would like to go big)

I’m with you on the reasoning. Defense first. Batum? I thought he was under a $4B contract? Did they waive him? If so, get him! And then package McGee and Kuz and cash for a defensive center trade. If we can land Adams, high score. Did he go to the Pelicans yet? I read they offered picks?

EDIT: looked it up. They ‘Denged’ Batum? Holy smokes. Why isn’t he signed to the Lakers already? Is he injured or what? He’s perfect for playing next to LBJ, AD, Schroeder, Caruso, Harrell! He fits right in. I haven’t seen him play much over the last two years, but if he’s depressed over making bank over being on a losing team, let’s cheer him up with the inverse; ring chase for less pay.

Rob, do it!!!
PG: D Lo / Reaves / Vincent(IL) / JHS
SG: Christie / Dinwiddie / Lewis / Mays
SF: LBJ / Prince / Reddish / Windler
PF: Rui / Vando(IL) / LBJ
CTR: AD / Hayes / Wood

Modern era NBA titles:
LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4
lazybatman
Sixth Man
And1: 876

Post#69 » by lazybatman » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:05 pm

Just looked it up. Gasol's played 53, 26 & 44 games over the last 3 seasons.. :(
Doug_12
Senior
And1: 440

Post#70 » by Doug_12 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:54 pm

stan francisco wrote:
Doug_12 wrote:I don't really like this signing. I mean, ok, he is a great roll guy, enthusiast as hell, but provides no spacing whatsoever and is a subpar defender. He was clearly misused against Jokic, so I think he should be looking better on D here (w/ guarding forwards more), but I don't expect him to be a positive defender. If he manages not to be a liability, then I'd be happy.

I’m with you on the reasoning. Defense first. Batum? I thought he was under a $4B contract? Did they waive him? If so, get him! And then package McGee and Kuz and cash for a defensive center trade. If we can land Adams, high score. Did he go to the Pelicans yet? I read they offered picks?

EDIT: looked it up. They ‘Denged’ Batum? Holy smokes. Why isn’t he signed to the Lakers already? Is he injured or what? He’s perfect for playing next to LBJ, AD, Schroeder, Caruso, Harrell! He fits right in. I haven’t seen him play much over the last two years, but if he’s depressed over making bank over being on a losing team, let’s cheer him up with the inverse; ring chase for less pay.

Rob, do it!!!

He had injury problems last year, but he is not the same player as he was in Portland or in his first 1-2 seasons w the Hornets. He consistently decreased year by year in defense and neither did his offense improve (which was never really efficient). Right now he is that type of a 3&D player who doesn't shoot very well, but neither is a plus defender. At least he is not a liability in any of these aspects. For vet. min however I think he is a good addition.
Vae Victus
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,831

Post#71 » by Vae Victus » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:31 pm

Batum is washed

Harrell is far from an optimal player for the Lakers MLE, given a choice i'd waaaay much rather have Serge on the same deal. However i understand the Lakers prolly did it to hurt the Clips too, but with Serge replacing Harrell, the damage isnt as full.

I really hope Harrell doesnt have another bubble playoff implosion in him, his was just dreadful in the bubble due to lack of focus and fitness. Lebron needs to beat his ass into shape and focus.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#72 » by stan francisco » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:25 am

Doug_12 wrote:
stan francisco wrote:

Rob, do it!!!

He had injury problems last year, but he is not the same player as he was in Portland or in his first 1-2 seasons w the Hornets. He consistently decreased year by year in defense and neither did his offense improve (which was never really efficient). Right now he is that type of a 3&D player who doesn't shoot very well, but neither is a plus defender. At least he is not a liability in any of these aspects. For vet. min however I think he is a good addition.

I’ll be damned. Weird. The Batum I remember from when he played for Portland would’ve been a great addition. Some peak early.

Modern era NBA titles:
iamworthy
RealGM
And1: 8,909

Post#73 » by iamworthy » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:46 am

Harrell playing next to LeBron and AD while being coached by Vogel is different. Some people have to see it to believe it.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#74 » by stan francisco » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:40 am

iamworthy wrote:Harrell playing next to LeBron and AD while being coached by Vogel is different. Some people have to see it to believe it.

Exactly.

Watch Wes Matthews’ 3PT % creep up to 40% for the same reason. He’s 38% career, 36.3% last year. Next to AD, LBJ, Gasol, he’ll improve.

Modern era NBA titles:
Hank7
Junior

Post#75 » by Hank7 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:43 am

iamworthy wrote:Harrell playing next to LeBron and AD while being coached by Vogel is different. Some people have to see it to believe it.

Dam right!
DanishLakerFan
Veteran
And1: 569

Post#76 » by DanishLakerFan » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:59 am

I get that Ibaka on paper would have been a better signing given his ability to stretch the floor and play defense. But Harrell is still going to be awesome for the Lakers - especially during the regular season. I'm sure Harrell and Schroeder are going to destroy 2nd units all season.

Come playoffs i'm sure Vogel is the ideal coach in terms of finding a defensive role that fits Harrell.
Beethoven
Head Coach
And1: 3,805

Post#77 » by Beethoven » Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:49 am

It is like an amateur garage guy selling his top-of-the-line made in Germany specific tool to a professional garage guy.
"You can have it for half what I paid. It don't work. It sucks. "
Professional guy thinking " lol I just got a great tool ..he doesn't even know how to use it properly. "

(The analogy I have for what hobo fans are saying about montrezl. They are that fiercely emotionally charged "good riddance! He suck ass! Good luck fakers when you face jokic!"

Lmao. Vogel is the pro tool guy. Why will he use a power drill to hammer in a nail? We have M.gasol for that.
Kobe Bryant forever
GO LAKERS
8-)

Return to Los Angeles Lakers