ImageImageImageImageImage

How does Kuzma fit in the lineup with Harrell?

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

heezyo2o
Starter
And1: 1,257

How does Kuzma fit in the lineup with Harrell? 

Post#1 » by heezyo2o » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:41 pm

Say Harrell plays 25-30 mpg, those minutes will probably come from Kuzma. Pelinka says Kuzma can take DG's place in terms of defense, but I don't think Kuzma can guard 2s and 3s consistently. Unless Kuzma is really solid from 3 and can play the role that Morris had, I can see his minutes and shot attempts going down.
iamworthy
RealGM
And1: 8,909

Re: How does Kuzma fit in the lineup with Harrell? 

Post#2 » by iamworthy » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:50 pm

They play two different positions. I assume Harrell will be the starting center.
heezyo2o
Starter

Post#3 » by heezyo2o » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:56 pm

iamworthy wrote:I assume Harrell will be the starting center.

I think Gasol starts and plays 15-20 min. Basically Dwights or Javales minutes from last season
iamworthy
RealGM

Post#4 » by iamworthy » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:02 pm

heezyo2o wrote:

I think Gasol starts and plays 15-20 min. Basically Dwights or Javales minutes from last season

definately possible. I just wonder if part of the agreement between rich Paul and Rob was a chance for Trez to get a starting job.
ROballer
General Manager
And1: 2,752

Post#5 » by ROballer » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:23 pm

It's the Clippers scenario again. Zubac is replaced by Gasol.

Gasol starts and sees 15-20 mins, the rest go to Harrell. Davis will not play much C in the RS at least, if at all.

The starting lineup will probably be KCP/Matthews/Lebron/Davis/Gasol. But 2 guys(Matthews and Gasol) are default starters and will probably see less minutes overall than 3 bench guys(Schroder, Caruso and Harrell).

I think Schroder/Caruso/Kuzma/Harrell are locks to see major minutes together, and Vogel will probably stagger Lebrons and Davis' minutes together so one of them can be on the floor with the afromentioned 4-some for most of the game.
Steve Nash injures his back while carrying bags

Slava wrote:I pulled a hammy while fapping. I won't make fun of Nash.
lazybatman
Sixth Man
And1: 876

Post#6 » by lazybatman » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:25 pm

iamworthy wrote:
heezyo2o wrote:

definately possible. I just wonder if part of the agreement between rich Paul and Rob was a chance for Trez to get a starting job.

I think we will go with a fluid core 5 rotation depending upon the opposition.
- I'd usually start with Trez against the skinny / undersized bigs that most teams have now a days
- Need Gasol in for elite bigs like Joker & Embiid. His fitness is a big question though after the last 3 seasons he's had.

OP -
I don't think Kuz and Trez's positions overlap either. In fact, at this point we're kinda thin on the SG, SF and small ball PF positions, so Kuz should have his usual minutes.

However, if he doesn't improve his shooting radically soon, I can see his minutes and usage declining pretty fast with better GoTo options like KCP, Trez, Schroeder, Gasol on the team.
heezyo2o
Starter

Post#7 » by heezyo2o » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:29 pm

ROballer wrote:I think Schroder/Caruso/Kuzma/Harrell are locks to see major minutes together, and Vogel will probably stagger Lebrons and Davis' minutes together so one of them can be on the floor with the afromentioned 4-some for most of the game.

How many minutes do you see Kuzma getting. If Harrell plays big minutes, those minutes have to come from somewhere. You're not taking AD or Lebron's minutes, so by default it comes from Kuzma
iamworthy
RealGM

Post#8 » by iamworthy » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:34 pm

ROballer wrote:It's the Clippers scenario again. Zubac is replaced by Gasol.

Gasol starts and sees 15-20 mins, the rest go to Harrell. Davis will not play much C in the RS at least, if at all.

The starting lineup will probably be KCP/Matthews/Lebron/Davis/Gasol. But 2 guys(Matthews and Gasol) are default starters and will probably see less minutes overall than 3 bench guys(Schroder, Caruso and Harrell).

I think Schroder/Caruso/Kuzma/Harrell are locks to see major minutes together, and Vogel will probably stagger Lebrons and Davis' minutes together so one of them can be on the floor with the afromentioned 4-some for most of the game.

THT is also rumored to get rotation minutes this year.
iamworthy
RealGM

Post#9 » by iamworthy » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:50 pm

heezyo2o wrote:
ROballer wrote:I think Schroder/Caruso/Kuzma/Harrell are locks to see major minutes together, and Vogel will probably stagger Lebrons and Davis' minutes together so one of them can be on the floor with the afromentioned 4-some for most of the game.

How many minutes do you see Kuzma getting. If Harrell plays big minutes, those minutes have to come from somewhere. You're not taking AD or Lebron's minutes, so by default it comes from Kuzma

-88% of Kyle Kuzma's minutes are played at PF
-100% of Trez minutes are played at C
- They will not take minutes from each other because they play two different positions
- Kuz will probably get 22-26 minutes per game
heezyo2o
Starter

Post#10 » by heezyo2o » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:58 pm

iamworthy wrote:-88% of Kyle Kuzma's minutes are played at PF
- They will not take minutes from each other because they play two different positions

Not disagreeing with the percentages, but just looking at the minutes.

Lebron and ADs minutes stay the same.
Gasol gets ~20 min, or basically the same time that Dwight had last season.

Javale got 16mpg last season, where as Harrell could get 30mpg. Where are those extra 14 minutes of floor time going to come from?

Last season when they signed Morris, he didn't play center, but that caused Dwight's playing time to go down. Unless Kuzma is able to guard smaller guys, I don't see how his minutes won't decrease
iamworthy
RealGM

Post#11 » by iamworthy » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:21 pm

heezyo2o wrote:
iamworthy wrote:-88% of Kyle Kuzma's minutes are played at PF

Not disagreeing with the percentages, but just looking at the minutes.

Lebron and ADs minutes stay the same.
Gasol gets ~20 min, or basically the same time that Dwight had last season.

Javale got 16mpg last season, where as Harrell could get 30mpg. Where are those extra 14 minutes of floor time going to come from?

Last season when they signed Morris, he didn't play center, but that caused Dwight's playing time to go down. Unless Kuzma is able to guard smaller guys, I don't see how his minutes won't decrease

I think Gasol sees less than 20 minutes per game during the regular season but sees an increase as we push towards the playoffs. I also think AD sees less minutes at center and more at PF during the regular season meaning less minutes at PF for kuz but he'll be able to pick up minutes at SF. Kuz saw a reduction in minutes during the playoffs, competition for minutes will be high. I also think LeBron sees a reduction in minutes because it mashes no sense for him to rack up mileage during a meaningless regular season. AD can also see a reduction. That being said kuz will get his 22-26 minutes unless he sucks. And Harrell will see 24-28 minutes at C.
ROballer
General Manager
And1: 2,752

Post#12 » by ROballer » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:27 pm

How many minutes Kuzma gets is the least of my problems.

I always stated he won't get paid from the FO and I maintain my point of view.

You play your best guys, that's how it is. If he gets 15 mins a game solely backing up Davis, because you have other guys who are better on other positions then so be it.
But he'll probably get some scraps from Lebron as well.

If I were a betting guy I'd see as following

Davis 34 mpg
Lebron 34 mpg
Schroder 30 mpg
KCP 28 mpg
Harrell 28 mpg
Caruso 25 mpg
Kuzma 22 mpg
Matthews 20 mpg
Gasol 18 mpg
THT 15 mpg
Steve Nash injures his back while carrying bags

Slava wrote:I pulled a hammy while fapping. I won't make fun of Nash.
EArl
RealGM
And1: 13,230

Post#13 » by EArl » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:07 pm

ROballer wrote:How many minutes Kuzma gets is the least of my problems.

I always stated he won't get paid from the FO and I maintain my point of view.

You play your best guys, that's how it is. If he gets 15 mins a game solely backing up Davis, because you have other guys who are better on other positions then so be it.
But he'll probably get some scraps from Lebron as well.

If I were a betting guy I'd see as following

Davis 34 mpg
Lebron 34 mpg
Schroder 30 mpg
KCP 28 mpg
Harrell 28 mpg
Caruso 25 mpg
Kuzma 22 mpg
Matthews 20 mpg
Gasol 18 mpg
THT 15 mpg

That sounds about right. I would even drop Davis and Lebron's number to like 30 for the first half of the season. They gotta be tired with the short offseason they're going to have.
Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing, Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before;
tamaraw08
Analyst
And1: 1,287

Post#14 » by tamaraw08 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:05 pm

ROballer wrote:It's the Clippers scenario again. Zubac is replaced by Gasol.

I anticipate these scenarios to be happening too esp Gasol. I imagine Vogel and staff would put Gasol in a bubble wrap about 3 weeks before the playoffs to make sure he's fresh and not injured. He'll be vital in guarding bigs like Nurkic and Jokic.
I sure hope Harrell and Schroeder can replicate that Lou-Trez screen/roll and produce about 30 pts esp when James and/or Davis are resting. I'm still not fully convinced that Dennis will shoot that great from the 3pt area and I sure hope and pray that he'll prove me wrong.
BTW, I can almost see Laker and Lebron haters banging their heads about learning that they got Marc, Tresz, Matthews and Schroeder :banghead: bec, I felt the same way several years ago, learning Cleveland got Love, Shumpert etc while retaining TT.
kblo247
RealGM
And1: 2,130

Post#15 » by kblo247 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:11 pm

It’s simple. He will guard the best wing player off the bench like he did last year after the all star break. He will play 23 ins like he did last year. He will get you double digits like he did last year and in the playoffs.

And just like last year when AD or Bron sit out a game welcome to the starting lineup Kuzma. It’s so nice to have you 21ppg starting and the team to have a high win percentage of over 60 plus percent.

People act like he failed. He failed to start full time, but he didn’t fail at being a double digit scorer. He didn’t fail defensively. Even when people bring up MPJ the actual one on one numbers if you check the stats cube Alfred says Kuz outscored MPJ one on one in their matchup and held him to a lower percentage. The numbers say Kuzma had better defensive numbers than even the mighty AD and Bron, second to only Caruso vs Portland. He was a positive plus double digits vs Houston. And his defensive numbers was the best on the whole team vs Jimmy Butler in the finals. Yes he was uncomfortable losing & minutes a night and 5 shots, yes he was uncomfortable missing all of camp with his first real injury, and yes he rather start and be guaranteed to finish game but who wouldn’t. That said it’s silly to act like he didn’t do his role and help the team win all year.

Now as far as scheme goes. Bron, Kuz, Kief, Trez can switch damn near any and everything while AD rests
DanishLakerFan
Veteran
And1: 569

Post#16 » by DanishLakerFan » Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:20 am

heezyo2o wrote:Say Harrell plays 25-30 mpg, those minutes will probably come from Kuzma. Pelinka says Kuzma can take DG's place in terms of defense, but I don't think Kuzma can guard 2s and 3s consistently. Unless Kuzma is really solid from 3 and can play the role that Morris had, I can see his minutes and shot attempts going down.

I think Kuzma slides down and plays most of his minutes at the 3, which might be where he belongs. Defensively he's actually been pretty good on the wing and i really hope he is able to bump his 3pt% to at least league average (36%-ish) as well, which really would unlock his game a whole lot.
kblo247
RealGM

Post#17 » by kblo247 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:44 am

IAMRANDYMARSH wrote:
heezyo2o wrote:Say Harrell plays 25-30 mpg, those minutes will probably come from Kuzma. Pelinka says Kuzma can take DG's place in terms of defense, but I don't think Kuzma can guard 2s and 3s consistently. Unless Kuzma is really solid from 3 and can play the role that Morris had, I can see his minutes and shot attempts going down.

I think Kuzma slides down and plays most of his minutes at the 3, which might be where he belongs. Defensively he's actually been pretty good on the wing and i really hope he is able to bump his 3pt% to at least league average (36%-ish) as well, which really would unlock his game a whole lot.

They may want to Bowen him. I mean he shot 50% from the right corner 3 in the bubble from start of bubble to playoff finish. You might want to give him some looks there. In the season he shot high from that spot too. It may be a perception thing or something, but still like Pop with Bowen early on, get him looks there :lol:
SlimShady83
General Manager
And1: 1,182

Post#18 » by SlimShady83 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:13 am

Didn't you guys pay attention last year?

I didn't watch games last year, but saw results, highlights etc etc

AD and Bron will start most games if not all games.

When it comes to other positions and minutes will be spread out and there will be no one line up through the entire season, everyone will get their chance to start and get their share of minutes :)
Bring back Defense
kblo247
RealGM

Post#19 » by kblo247 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:26 am

Per ESPN's NBA: The Jump

2017 NBA Draft Class Career Points

1) Donovan Mitchel.......5,100

2) Jayson Tatum..........3,902

3) Kyle Kuzma.............3,332

4) De'Aaron Fox...........3,220
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,545

Post#20 » by stan francisco » Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:27 pm

kblo247 wrote:Per ESPN's NBA: The Jump

2017 NBA Draft Class Career Points

1) Donovan Mitchel.......5,100

2) Jayson Tatum..........3,902

3) Kyle Kuzma.............3,332

4) De'Aaron Fox...........3,220

That’s ^ further proof that Kuzma was a total steal late in the draft. Here’s some more.

2017 NBA Draft Class Career Championships

1) Kyle Kuzma..............1

Tatum, Mitchel, Fox.......0
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers