Community Thread LXII: Vaccines Can't Fix Stupid

Moderators: Danny Darko, Kilroy, TyCobb

Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,413

Re: Community Thread LXII: Vaccines Can't Fix Stupid 

Post#21 » by Slava » Sun Jan 3, 2021 10:02 am

If they make money from deaths, doesn't it make more sense for them to lobby for reduced restrictions so more people die? Even if you don't believe that the virus is deadly and a medical group is profiting off of the restrictions, that one medical group must have a **** ton of lobbying power to out lobby the ever powerful oil, transport and travel sectors put together, which are all struggling across the country to influence political decisions. If they do have that sort of lobbying power it doesn’t make sense when countries with single payer healthcare are pursuing the same restrictions when there is zero profit to be made for anyone.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 5,377

Post#22 » by Danny Darko » Sun Jan 3, 2021 11:11 am

I don't know a lot of people who are in or have first degree loved ones working hospitals that think anything is fake or over exaggerated at all.

To Slava's point... there are lot of varied, friendly, unfriendly, etc... health care systems, countries, politics that are all somehow on board for the first time ever? No... lifelong friends who would happily be anti gov and power grab are in up to their neck. As a former EMT this is not a propaganda conspiracy.

Read on Twitter
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 9,804

Post#23 » by TyCobb » Sun Jan 3, 2021 3:40 pm

You guys are entitled to your own opinions as well from your observation, experiences, and information told to you.

Happy New Year.
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,538

Post#24 » by stan francisco » Sun Jan 3, 2021 5:31 pm

I regret this being my only post in here, and I’ll retreat after this one post, but...

Politicizing the perhaps deadliest virus ever is wrong and indeed stupid. Profiteering from peoples’ death is wrong and revolting. Asking for financial Covid-help when you don’t need it is wrong and disgustingly awful.

Protesting against the politics of a deadly virus by helping it spread inside mask free parties is equally wrong and awful.

The virus won’t change its ways because of people having big fun parties. It only helps it spread. It in fact causes people to die. It could be argued it’s murderous, knowing what we know.

Ty, I typically always agree with you and I’m not one to poke my nose in anyone’s biz, but on this one it’s everyone’s biz, and I think you may need to reconsider a bit for the sake of protecting your own loved ones, but you should of course do you. I happen to be extremely well read on the topic Covid due to my work so it’s hard for me to shut up. No offense intended, only informing everyone’s opining, using merited facts.

Due to my work, I have colleagues in countries spread out all over the world; India, China, Peru, Germany, Uruguay, Canada, Norway, Denmark, Spain, Italy, England, South Korea, Thailand, Sweden, Finland, Hungary etc. I could go on. All of these colleagues are independent thinking rational smart educated human beings, well informed. This Covid thing is NOT made up.

It would be one hell of a hoax if a few pulled this off on the entire world. To anyone who thinks this is a conspiracy, and I hope and think I’m not saying this to you, Ty; I have one thing to say:

My dead friends (from Covid) say hello and hope that you don’t die too young from drowning in your own phlegm because of a lack of hospital beds.

Actually, two, and this one may unfortunately be for you Ty:

May pre-symptomatic spread not kill one or more of your loved ones. It would suck to find out that you were the one to bring it to them (asymptomatically), no matter how much the politics or economics of it repulses you.

Pre-symptom spread is why we’re in lockdown. Not politics and greed.

Pre-symptomatic spread, like “I feel fine” is what causes the spread of Covid.

Stan, out, and won’t be back here.

HNY!!!
PG: D Lo / Reaves / Vincent(IL) / JHS
SG: Christie / Dinwiddie / Lewis / Mays
SF: LBJ / Prince / Reddish / Windler
PF: Rui / Vando(IL) / LBJ
CTR: AD / Hayes / Wood

Modern era NBA titles:
LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#25 » by TyCobb » Sun Jan 3, 2021 5:37 pm

Never once said it was a hoax. Have a good one all!
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#26 » by Kilroy » Sun Jan 3, 2021 6:12 pm

No, Ty never said it was a hoax, and if you want to have the discussion on this forum... If you create a thread title specifically to discuss the issue, then please don't be a pussy and shy away from differing opinions... That's what's wrong in America and the World right now... A planet of Karens who can only handle life if everyone believes what they believe... And feel the self-righteous urge to force their opinions on others... It's disgusting.

Like the virus... You want to wear a mask? Fine... You're covered... Mind your business about what others choose to do...
You want to get the vaccine? Fine, you're protected... Whether or not anyone else gets the vaccine shouldn't matter to you in the slightest, and you don't know enough to dictate what others do. So STFU.

And to Ty's point, the Virus is real... Several people in my immediate and extended families have had it... (The problem there is some of them had it as far back as Dec 2019)... But if you don't think this virus is being used, and politicized, and profiteered, you're just oblivious.

For a group of people that will look at a picture of Lebron's kid's shoes and swear it's definitive proof that LeBron wants to be traded to Utah or some ****, it defies credulity how quick we all are to cry "Conspiracy Theory" and bury our heads in the sand when it comes to something as pervasive and in your face as the Pandemic.

Grow up people... Happy new year, and whatever. :banghead:
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#27 » by Slava » Sun Jan 3, 2021 6:53 pm

My initial reaction to hosting a party was a little sense of surprise but if he is talking about his own personal bubble, that's ok. I went to a house party for new year's as well but it was 8 of us and we also had Christmas dinner together and we agreed beforehand to all get tested on December 24th and 30th so we could have our own social bubble. It also helps that I live in a country where 10 million tests have been done so far on a population of 5.5 million and anyone who wants to get tested can go and get tested any given day. 2 million of the population has the exposure notification app and every time we get an alert that we've been close to an infected person, we get tested twice and self isolate for two days until both results are negative.

Regarding the lack of oversight on where the money is going, I do agree a lot with the website Ty posted. There needs to be some accounting and its no surprise that like the corporate tax cuts prior to that, there are businesses filling their tanks first while government is debating whether it is fiscally responsible to even hold a vote on sending money to regular tax payers for essential expenses. Its also no surprise that the same folk who downplayed and botched the response were first in line for the vaccine despite several essential workers needing it more than them. Its a **** show.

I don't blame the US alone as it is the same thing in the UK as well which has a gem of a health care service like the NHS but bad government and good institutions still equates bad response.

Regarding judging people for not getting vaccinated, yes I do that. I'm sure most of you would not want to send your kid to school if a different parent chose not to vaccinate their kid. Heck, before I came to the US as a 20 year old to attend a private college, I had to gather the documents for all the vaccines I received since I was a kid to get admission and a visa.

Not wearing masks is a bit problematic as well as there is enough scientific work showing that transmission is much lower when both the exposed person and infected person are masked. That just feels like common sense to me and at least in the country I live, no one complains about it. I went for a run a week ago and went to a grocery store on the way back without remembering to wear a mask, no one said anything but I got a few angry stares and only realized half way through that I forgot to wear one as it is almost like second skin to me at this point and felt like **** for two days out of shame.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#28 » by Kilroy » Sun Jan 3, 2021 7:03 pm

Danny Darko wrote:I don't know a lot of people who are in or have first degree loved ones working hospitals that think anything is fake or over exaggerated at all.

To Slava's point... there are lot of varied, friendly, unfriendly, etc... health care systems, countries, politics that are all somehow on board for the first time ever? No... lifelong friends who would happily be anti gov and power grab are in up to their neck. As a former EMT this is not a propaganda conspiracy.

Read on Twitter

Well therein lies the problem... The WHO and the CDC are saying now that Ventilators are wrong headed, and should be avoided in the treatment of COVID.
A ventilator is basically the kiss of death.

That said, am I the only one who thinks that tweet is incredibly wrong-headed? What right does "NurseKelsey" have to share those details, and how superior do you have to feel to post it? Sounds like someone has a smart phone and a God-complex.
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#29 » by Danny Darko » Sun Jan 3, 2021 8:57 pm

Kilroy wrote:
Danny Darko wrote:I don't know a lot of people who are in or have first degree loved ones working hospitals that think anything is fake or over exaggerated at all.

Read on Twitter

Well therein lies the problem... The WHO and the CDC are saying now that Ventilators are wrong headed, and should be avoided in the treatment of COVID.
A ventilator is basically the kiss of death.

That said, am I the only one who thinks that tweet is incredibly wrong-headed? What right does "NurseKelsey" have to share those details, and how superior do you have to feel to post it? Sounds like someone has a smart phone and a God-complex.

I'm starting to see more of this from the nursing community and I'm fairly certain it's coming from fatigue and anger. They've had a tough job and now are on months and months of mandatory overtime to watch people die. The gloves are off.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#30 » by Slava » Tue Jan 5, 2021 8:04 am

If any of you suffer from hard tap water, invest in a filter. The difference it makes for drinking water, coffee and cooking is immense. If I had my own place, I'd probably buy one for the water inlet so I don't have to deal with calcium on the shower tiles and appliances.
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#31 » by Danny Darko » Wed Jan 6, 2021 12:23 am

Slava wrote:If any of you suffer from hard tap water, invest in a filter. The difference it makes for drinking water, coffee and cooking is immense. If I had my own place, I'd probably buy one for the water inlet so I don't have to deal with calcium on the shower tiles and appliances.

+1

I also pay too much for foo foo REAL water for the studio, but it is really good
EArl
RealGM
And1: 13,221

Post#32 » by EArl » Wed Jan 6, 2021 11:46 pm

What a way for Trump to finish his presidency.
Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing, Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before;
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#33 » by Slava » Thu Jan 7, 2021 7:44 am

I still can't believe all it took to breach the capitol were a bunch of rednecks in camo. How much is the defence spending again? :lol:
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#34 » by Danny Darko » Fri Jan 8, 2021 12:54 am

Slava wrote:I still can't believe all it took to breach the capitol were a bunch of rednecks in camo. How much is the defence spending again? :lol:

If someone had said 15 black panthers were showing up there would have been multiple branches of military, armored cars, rubber bullets, and mass arrests of even casual folks walking by recording on cell phones.

The staples center is better secured that fiasco that happened yesterday.
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#35 » by TyCobb » Fri Jan 8, 2021 1:15 am

Feels like just yesterday when all of our backyards and communities were getting set on fire and destroyed during the 2020 summer riots amidst a highly contagious global pandemic, now this stuff. Trending bad here in the good 'ole USA.
tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,923

Post#36 » by tugs » Fri Jan 8, 2021 3:29 am

Slava wrote:If any of you suffer from hard tap water, invest in a filter. The difference it makes for drinking water, coffee and cooking is immense. If I had my own place, I'd probably buy one for the water inlet so I don't have to deal with calcium on the shower tiles and appliances.
In relation to this (or is it), you guys think buying a garment steamer for home is a good investment? Been using flat iron but sending my suits to the laundry for ironing which I think can be done from home
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#37 » by Danny Darko » Sat Jan 9, 2021 9:31 am

tugs wrote:
In relation to this (or is it), you guys think buying a garment steamer for home is a good investment? Been using flat iron but sending my suits to the laundry for ironing which I think can be done from home

I use one pretty regularly. Haven't touched an iron in a long time, so yeah I would say a good thing to have.
tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,923

Post#38 » by tugs » Sat Jan 9, 2021 10:53 am

Great to know. Thanks, DD!
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#39 » by Danny Darko » Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:53 am

Name the poster you imagine looks most like the telescopefish in real life

Read on Twitter
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#40 » by Kilroy » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:07 pm

Pharmcat x1000

But did 'Binocularfish' just slip their mind?

Return to Los Angeles Lakers