ImageImageImageImageImage

What's your OBJECTIVE view on Schroder?

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Re: What's your OBJECTIVE view on Schroder? 

Post#21 » by Kilroy » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:48 pm

tamaraw08 wrote:
ScHoolBoy B wrote:I've been very critical of this guy ever since he demanded to start without ever playing a single game for us. I knew the first red flag is when he said he didn't want to join the Lakers. I hate this, "Oh, once he's on the squad his mindset of the team will change." For some players, it never changes. When you have an ego like this guy it's hard to convince him to buy into the system and stay committed to the team. Dennis is all about the name on the back of the jersey instead of the front. He'll be like that until the end of his career.

Getting Dennis was a mistake in my opinion. He constantly turns the ball over and he doesn't make his teammates better. His defense is spotty as well. He will play well when he gets his fouls calls, but when the refs swallow the whistle for him he tends to put his head down and CONSTANTLY whine to the refs. He then loses all focus of the game and that's when the dumbass Schroder shows up. He's so full of anger that he loses focus on the details of the game and commits these ridiculous turnovers that not even a rec player would commit. I remember reading somewhere that when Schroder was with the Hawks he had a major temper problem and that's why he never fully blossomed over there. I still think he has a temper problem now.

The contract situation further proves that he's all about himself and he would rather handicap this team than help them win championships. Think about it, nobody is going to want to deal with Schroder after the way he screwed over the Lakers and no GM in the league will EVER trade for that toxic contract of his, if we offer more than previously offered. The only way to get this guy off the team is to sign and trade, and knowing Schroder I'm pretty sure he won't help us with that. So we'll have to just let him walk and take our chances with a mMLE PG. I honestly want this guy off the team so bad. The contract situation is a distraction and downright stupid to even talk about to the public. I have no idea why he and his agent are doing this to a franchise that ALWAYS takes care of their players the right way.

I always hated how this guy always needs the last word in a intense jawing match with somebody. While I did think Kyrie was being a crybaby, Schroder should've had some common sense to just walk away and let Kyrie throw his temper tantrum to the refs. He knew his team needed him, but he felt like the last word was more important to him. I'm old school, and I love how Kobe, Dirk, Timmy, Manu never said a word during intense moments and let their game do the talking to shut their opponent up. I don't know, everything this kid does rubs me the wrong way and I'm praying we don't overpay this guy and hope his ass gets shipped out. If it means getting rid of KCP and Kuzma to get some players we've loss through free agency so be it. As long as Mr. Egomaniac isn't on the team next season.

I would keep Caruso, Drummond, THT, AD, LBJ. That's about it.

Pelinka has been getting so much credit for the construction of his team, some say now that he's a genius, a great talent evaluator...well...
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2918943-lakers-news-rob-pelinka-discusses-dennis-schroder-trade-kyle-kuzma-and-more
"We’re really excited about adding Dennis to our core,” Pelinka told Mike Trudell of NBA.com. "I think if you look at the Bubble and what we were able to accomplish there in retrospect, one of the core identities of our team is I felt like we played incredibly tough, competitive, gritty, defensive-focused basketball. That’s really at the core of how Dennis plays.

"He gives us offensively another elite playmaker, both on the ball in a pick-and-roll situation and off the ball as a scorer. He really just fits us perfectly. He’s been a player we’ve pursued not just in this trade deadline but before, we pursued him aggressively. But to finalize a transaction and bring him to the Lakers is satisfying."

Schröder is a need due to the uncertainty surrounding Rajon Rondo's free agency. Avery Bradley is also an unknown after opting out of the final year of his contract to seek a long-term deal.

James is excited to have Schröder on board because he's wanted to play with him for a while, according to ESPN's Brian Windhorst.

"They almost traded for him at the deadline in 2020 and they didn’t," Windhorst said on the Lowe Post podcast. "There’s been a lot of interest there for a while.

"The Lakers have wanted for a while to get–and I know they’re very different players–but Rob Pelinka has been very interested in Dennis Schroder and very interested in Derrick Rose. LeBron really likes his (Schroder’s) game. LeBron’s wanted to play with him for a while. Like I said, they almost traded for him before."

oh well, Lebron I guess was wrong about him?
Don't get me wrong, I don't like the way he trots too like he's got that swagger, scowl on his face etc but again, it's not like he is a terrible player on the court, again it's a mistake to expect him to facilitate this severely undermanned team, he has limited court vision, his passing technique is not Rondoish etc, but so does Tony Parker or Bledsoe and other scoring PGs.
So you like to keep Drummond, but how?

None of that takes into account the fact that they offered Schroder the full max extension and he passed on it... That changes things quite a bit I think from either Rob or LeBron's perspective... Dude wants to test free agency? Fine... Then all bets are off the table...
We keep Drummond by letting Schroder walk and probably trading Kuz and KCP... If you still can't keep drummond, maybe you explore a Kuz/KCP trade for Markkanen... Or something like that... Or maybe you S/T Schroder for a S/T Markkanen... IDK...

But this is pretty much the drop dead season for many of the 'assets' we have... We need money to sign THT and Caruso, so Kuz at least has to go, and probably KCP as well... We can either sign Schroder, let him walk, or if timing is on our side, sign and trade him... What we do there and with the other 2 pretty much dictates whether or not we can keep Drummond if that's something he desires...
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
EArl
RealGM
And1: 13,229

Post#22 » by EArl » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:58 am

I don't think he's worth more than 20 mil a year. He is a good player, but not more than 20 player. Unfortunately unless we have a player that can replace his impact, we will have to pay him that.
Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing, Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before;
xinxin
Sixth Man
And1: 1,371

Post#23 » by xinxin » Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:12 am

EArl wrote:I don't think he's worth more than 20 mil a year. He is a good player, but not more than 20 player. Unfortunately unless we have a player that can replace his impact, we will have to pay him that.

My sentiments exactly. For this year, I hope his contributions bring us no. 18

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#24 » by Slava » Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:13 am

He's feisty and his biggest strength is that he can block all the external noise and still bring it in any given game, which is a necessity to play next to LeBron James and on the Lakers. He does a lot of things well but his turnovers are not fun. His drop in 3 point % was kind of expected as his shot quality drops when he has to create them himself rather than play off of LeBron and Davis and last season was an anomaly, even for him. In the end, I'm comfortable giving him good money as long as its a net neutral trade value contract and not something that we need to attach an asset to move.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
snaquille oatmeal
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,763

Post#25 » by snaquille oatmeal » Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:08 pm

ScHoolBoy B wrote:
Beethoven wrote:I was talking about his contract situation. His play I havent said anything about it. I know how he plays. I am not oblivious

You're missing the point that if we pony up and over pay for him that severely limits us in free agency and future free agency. If he wants to get paid then go to the Knicks, and do what Carmelo did. Lakers are about championships and nothing else. If you forgot about that then I don't know what to tell you.

That's like saying pay $100,000 for a Toyota Camry. Nobody in their right mind is going to pay that price for a Camry...

We can’t offer him more than what we already have.
I am not opposed to that offer since he will not be the prime ball handler when LBJ comes back. He won’t turn it over as much because even though he will start he will be in an off the bench mode.

We need to accept that in this situation he is in the driver’s seat and we should adjust our plans if he decides to take a better offer somewhere else. We did what we could now is all on him.
Forum permissions
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot trade for basketball reasons in this forum
You cannot but I can...five rings!
Beethoven
Head Coach
And1: 3,830

Post#26 » by Beethoven » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:35 pm

^that's what i was saying
Kobe Bryant forever
GO LAKERS
8-)
BEazy
RealGM
And1: 2,483

Post#27 » by BEazy » Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:46 pm

snaquille oatmeal wrote:
ScHoolBoy B wrote:
Beethoven wrote:I was talking about his contract situation. His play I havent said anything about it. I know how he plays. I am not oblivious

You're missing the point that if we pony up and over pay for him that severely limits us in free agency and future free agency. If he wants to get paid then go to the Knicks, and do what Carmelo did. Lakers are about championships and nothing else. If you forgot about that then I don't know what to tell you.

That's like saying pay $100,000 for a Toyota Camry. Nobody in their right mind is going to pay that price for a Camry...

We can’t offer him more than what we already have.
I am not opposed to that offer since he will not be the prime ball handler when LBJ comes back. He won’t turn it over as much because even though he will start he will be in an off the bench mode.

We need to accept that in this situation he is in the driver’s seat and we should adjust our plans if he decides to take a better offer somewhere else. We did what we could now is all on him.

I read somewhere he could get an extra year and more guaranteed money if he rejects the 4yr/84m deal. I think thats the thinking behind the rejection. Who knows whats going on with the details of the contract. Still want him off the team though.

The Lakers can currently offer him a maximum starting salary of $18.6 million, the total value of which would be approximately $83 million over four years (starting next season).

So if over $20 million annually is something Schröder wants in each year of his deal, he’ll have to wait until the offseason, when the Lakers will have his bird rights and can go over the cap to offer him up to the maximum salary for players of 7-9 years of experience: 30% of the cap, which would be $32 million this season.

DISCLAIMER: I feel comfortable saying there is absolutely zero chance the Lakers will offer Schröder the full max, but that is just to illustrate that they can in theory offer more in the summer than they can right now, giving them more wiggle room in negotiations than exists currently.

https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2021/3/30/22358320/lakers-rumors-dennis-schroder-contract-extension-max-amount-value

Long Live The Black Mamba. Kobe Bean Bryant Laker For Life. 8/24
tamaraw08
Analyst
And1: 1,281

Post#28 » by tamaraw08 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:59 pm

Slava wrote:He's feisty and his biggest strength is that he can block all the external noise and still bring it in any given game, which is a necessity to play next to LeBron James and on the Lakers. He does a lot of things well but his turnovers are not fun. His drop in 3 point % was kind of expected as his shot quality drops when he has to create them himself rather than play off of LeBron and Davis and last season was an anomaly, even for him. In the end, I'm comfortable giving him good money as long as its a net neutral trade value contract and not something that we need to attach an asset to move.

Your objective assessment about him is the most accurate IMO. I really think most fans here are also undervaluing his ability to play on ball defense.
[url][/url]
Some are probably are huge fans of THT and so am I but silverscreenandroll also laments his defensive deficiencies just like Kblo.
BEazy
RealGM

Post#29 » by BEazy » Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:52 pm

Reports are saying Lonzo is available in a sign and trade scenario. Maybe we can work something out with the Pelicans and give them Schroder.

zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,937

Post#30 » by zimpy27 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:27 am

Schroeder is worth $15m a season.

He plays hard, he is a decent ball handler and driver but is sloppy with passing and a poor perimeter shooter for a guard.

I'd move on from him, moving him in a sign n trade would be nice, even to just get a TPE.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
AGAVE
Junior
And1: 64

Post#31 » by AGAVE » Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:58 am

DS has a skill set.
My hope in the beginning was that he would adapt to what is happening on this assembled roster.
I don’t think stays due to the THT emergence and the Drummond potential.
THT & Caruso satisfies us going forward and I think these 2 contracts give us a better chance to retaining Drummond.
Was interesting to watch Clarkson v Schroëder today.
What we had and someone who is here today being similar in some ways.
Respect Elgin Baylor
BEazy
RealGM

Post#32 » by BEazy » Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:43 am

AGAVE wrote:DS has a skill set.
My hope in the beginning was that he would adapt to what is happening on this assembled roster.
I don’t think stays due to the THT emergence and the Drummond potential.
THT & Caruso satisfies us going forward and I think these 2 contracts give us a better chance to retaining Drummond.
Was interesting to watch Clarkson v Schroëder today.
What we had and someone who is here today being similar in some ways.

I was thinking about that too today. Clarkson and Schroder are pretty much the same player.

Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,301

Post#33 » by Dr Aki » Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:21 am

i like schroder

he's kinda like avery bradley and rondo (minus the experience) put together, that's a solid combo

did you know he's actually got 22 assists and only 3 turnovers the last 3 games? he's also probably the best FT shooter on a **** FT shooting team - 85%

he's definitely getting better at handling the ball, controlling the offense and not throwing the overly optimistic passes and he's still the best guy to break down a defense after we earn a switch

is he worth more than 84/4? i don't think so. but at this stage, we don't have much of a choice in the matter, there's zero cap space, it's all about talent retention now, and if anything, re-signing him will allow the lakers to potentially trade him (he's still in his athletic prime) with a kuzma/KCP/harrell next season to get a guy who's suddenly available

and as much as THT is showing his potential, he's not got the pure speed aspect schroder has, nor does he have the wet mid-range jumper that schroder has. that mid-range jumper has really been helping the lakers the last couple of months as it's a last resort move that THT doesn't have yet either
tamaraw08
Analyst

Post#34 » by tamaraw08 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:26 pm

Dr Aki wrote:i like schroder

he's kinda like avery bradley and rondo (minus the experience) put together, that's a solid combo

did you know he's actually got 22 assists and only 3 turnovers the last 3 games? he's also probably the best FT shooter on a **** FT shooting team - 85%

he's definitely getting better at handling the ball, controlling the offense and not throwing the overly optimistic passes and he's still the best guy to break down a defense after we earn a switch

is he worth more than 84/4? i don't think so. but at this stage, we don't have much of a choice in the matter, there's zero cap space, it's all about talent retention now, and if anything, re-signing him will allow the lakers to potentially trade him (he's still in his athletic prime) with a kuzma/KCP/harrell next season to get a guy who's suddenly available

and as much as THT is showing his potential, he's not got the pure speed aspect schroder has, nor does he have the wet mid-range jumper that schroder has. that mid-range jumper has really been helping the lakers the last couple of months as it's a last resort move that THT doesn't have yet either

I agree with most of your takes, most fans here are ticked about how he expressed his great desire to start and not be a bench player coupled with him rejecting Rob’s offer. Combine that with their man crush on THT and Drummond.....but yes the Lakers shouldn’t overpay him to a point where it would prevent them to retain Caruso and THT etc.
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,185

Post#35 » by LAKESHOW » Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:09 pm

Magic was correct in his evaluation, we need a Rondo. Someone else besides Bron to read and control the action. And it worked out. But he had a weakness, his shooting.
Pelinka dumped Rondo and acquired Dennis, because we need a guy who can add points. His weakness is his reading and distribution capabilities. Waaay too many turnovers.
But I agree with both, we need a point who can score points. Dudes were sinking into the paint when Rondo had the ball.
But the playoffs are soon. We are going to find out if Dennis liabilities can be overcome. Philly and the Clipps have our past guys, I would hate to have those 2 teams specifically pass us up with Rondo, green or dwight
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
nbaguy1
Freshman
And1: 36

Post#36 » by nbaguy1 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:13 pm

Im not a real Laker. Im a German DS fan. Specially since you basically never get 6 foot something ballers from Europe making it in the NBA. USA has enough of those to choose from. Schröder is basically the only one fitting this description to really have made it(outside maybe Rubio, but hes a pure role player). So that makes him really special to me. Its all pure will why he got this far...

He has Atheltic talent, cat like body control etc, but he doesnt have pure finesse. But he will try. He always learns each year. All his teams played playoff basketball. And generaly was better in crunch time than regular season. Hes streaky. His play goes up and down, but tends to be there when it matters. Hes also undersized and taking allot of hits. I think his play wont last long after this contract. So he wants to get paid.

What LA offered was exactly that, and I can not fathom he doesnt take the offer. It would be ideal for his future to play alongside stars and not having to do it all. And have this sportsmenship ideal of hunting trophies. He will have remorse when ending his career...

But prolly managers etc all up in his ear. Maybe Cali taxes. Maybe the LA life style. LBJ pressure. I dunno.
DrPampiloni
Junior
And1: 363

Post#37 » by DrPampiloni » Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:05 pm

nbaguy1 wrote:Im not a real Laker. Im a German DS fan. Specially since you basically never get 6 foot something ballers from Europe making it in the NBA. USA has enough of those to choose from. Schröder is basically the only one fitting this description to really have made it(outside maybe Rubio, but hes a pure role player). So that makes him really special to me. Its all pure will why he got this far...

Somewhere Tony Parker is shaking his head.
nbaguy1
Freshman

Post#38 » by nbaguy1 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:17 pm

DrPampiloni wrote:
nbaguy1 wrote:Im not a real Laker. Im a German DS fan. Specially since you basically never get 6 foot something ballers from Europe making it in the NBA. USA has enough of those to choose from. Schröder is basically the only one fitting this description to really have made it(outside maybe Rubio, but hes a pure role player). So that makes him really special to me. Its all pure will why he got this far...

Yeah true. But point remains. This was over 20 years ago he got drafted. There is just no 6 foot something Euro guys making it big in the NBA, while there is loads of bigs and forwards from Euroland.
nbaguy1
Freshman

Post#39 » by nbaguy1 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:22 pm

nbaguy1 wrote:
DrPampiloni wrote:

Yeah true. But point remains. This was over 20 years ago he got drafted. There is just no 6 foot something Euro guys making it big in the NBA, while there is loads of bigs and forwards from Euroland.

Also Id argue that Parker was a system guy. I dont think he would have been anywhere near the player outside of SA. But thats speculation. DS however is allot less as a player, but respect as well how he found a role and adapted on 3 franchises now. I see his difficulties and imrovemets each time.
tamaraw08
Analyst

Post#40 » by tamaraw08 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:25 am

LAKESHOW wrote:Magic was correct in his evaluation, we need a Rondo. Someone else besides Bron to read and control the action. And it worked out. But he had a weakness, his shooting.
Pelinka dumped Rondo and acquired Dennis, because we need a guy who can add points. His weakness is his reading and distribution capabilities. Waaay too many turnovers.
But I agree with both, we need a point who can score points. Dudes were sinking into the paint when Rondo had the ball.
But the playoffs are soon. We are going to find out if Dennis liabilities can be overcome. Philly and the Clipps have our past guys, I would hate to have those 2 teams specifically pass us up with Rondo, green or dwight

OK that's it, you are like the 30th guy here who kept bringing up his high turnover rate so let's look at the numbers.

for 100 possesions right now per basketballreference, Schroder is averaging 4.2.... yes, I have to DOUBLE CHECK AND GO BACK AND MAKE SURE, 4.2!!!
Compare that to other PGs. Westbrook with 6.4, Wall, with 5.2,
Steph Curry has a career 4.4 turnovers/100, even the freaking Point God Rondo had 4.8 at Atlanta and 5.2 with the Clips....but but it's not the same with the Lakers with Lebron, right? Well, Rondo committed 4.4 last year with the Lakers.
Now, yes, I am aware some of his bad decisions do NOT register as turnovers, not passing to the right open man etc but again, comparing him to Rondo is silly bec they have very DIFFERENT skillsets.
Not a few here are hoping they get back Lonzo Ball, well he too is a very good defender and don't turn the ball over but that is bec he doesn't hold on to the ball that much. He reads and pass quickly which is great next to Lebron... If Lebron is 28 yrs old and not 35!!!Lebron's teams are always very efficient with ANOTHER playmaker like Kyrie, top 3 in ORTG in Cleveland.
It would have been great if Dennis can shoot from 3, but then again, he would be a legit superstar if that is the case commanding 30 mil at least. You can get a cheaper shooter but Vogel will NOT use him if he is a weak defender.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers