ImageImageImageImageImage

Schröder's Catechism: an elite FA, or nah?

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Schröder's Catechism: an elite FA, or nah? 

Post#1 » by ecuhus1981 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:22 pm

Hello friends, Brooklyn fan here, I come in peace.

I'm looking ahead to the offseason, and one of my big questions is Los Angeles. You guys re-shaped your roster last summer, and have the ability to do so again this year. However, you've got some players seeking big extensions, most notably Dennis Schröder. I read reports that the Lakers front office offered him the maximum that they could extend his current contract back in February, something like an additional 4 years, $75mil. He immediately declined, suggesting he seeks far more this offseason.

I'll be frank: IMO, Dennis is not worth the $19mil/yr you offered, let alone more. I don't see another team offering him that kind of money, so in that way he's definitely NOT an elite free agent. But in another way, he IS an elite free agent in LAL's eyes, because you are cap strapped and have few options to replace a player of his caliber if he walks.

What do you guys plan to do?
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
TylersLakers
RealGM
And1: 2,823

Re: Schröder's Catechism: an elite FA, or nah? 

Post#2 » by TylersLakers » Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:36 pm

ecuhus1981 wrote:Hello friends, Brooklyn fan here, I come in peace.

I'm looking ahead to the offseason, and one of my big questions is Los Angeles. You guys re-shaped your roster last summer, and have the ability to do so again this year. However, you've got some players seeking big extensions, most notably Dennis Schröder. I read reports that the Lakers front office offered him the maximum that they could extend his current contract back in February, something like an additional 4 years, $75mil. He immediately declined, suggesting he seeks far more this offseason.

I'll be frank: IMO, Dennis is not worth the $19mil/yr you offered, let alone more. I don't see another team offering him that kind of money, so in that way he's definitely NOT an elite free agent. But in another way, he IS an elite free agent in LAL's eyes, because you are cap strapped and have few options to replace a player of his caliber if he walks.

I think the best course of action is to re-sign him for now - It's not a perfect option, but it's the option we have to take. You don't want to lose an asset for nothing. We cannot acquire anyone in a sign and trade basically, because it would hard-cap us at that hard cap number, and we need to have the ability to go over that and pay into the luxury tax significantly to re-sign Caruso, potentially make a Kuzma + 1st round pick trade, etc.

So I would sign him hopefully to a team-friendly deal. Either 3 years starting at 16-18M or 2 years starting at 22-24M. That way, he can be traded at some point. He declined the extension at a time when he was playing really, really well. His playoffs and end of season play I'm sure hurt his value enough where the Lakers will be able to sign him to a good deal.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,229

Post#3 » by Kilroy » Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:54 pm

Depends on whether or not he has figured out his actual role yet... He's the guy you throw into a game off the bench for 15-20 flashy minutes a night, not the guy who starts and grinds it out consistently for 30... If you have a spot like that on your team for a guard, then he's a potential elite FA

So for us, footsteps...
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
BEazy
RealGM
And1: 2,483

Post#4 » by BEazy » Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:15 am

Honestly I don't understand where this idea that if we let Dennis go for nothing it's bad asset management. Look we let Ariza, Horry, and Pau go for nothing. It happens all the time in this league. Schroder can't even be compared to those three that I mentioned above. A lot of guys need to stop overrating Schroder like he's some mega superstar. He's easily replaceable because about every guard in the league can do exactly what Schroder does or do it even better. Yes EVEN the cheap PGs.

The plan should be to let the YouTuber go out and get his bag. If he comes back with empty offers, too bad, he has to take our offer which will not be remotely close to the previous offer of 84 million over 4 years.

If he throws a temper tantrum and signs somewhere else Montrezl Harrell style, then goodbye chump and good luck with your bottom feeder team.

Long Live The Black Mamba. Kobe Bean Bryant Laker For Life. 8/24
TylersLakers
RealGM

Post#5 » by TylersLakers » Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:57 am

ScHoolBoy B wrote:Honestly I don't understand where this idea that if we let Dennis go for nothing it's bad asset management. Look we let Ariza, Horry, and Pau go for nothing. It happens all the time in this league. Schroder can't even be compared to those three that I mentioned above. A lot of guys need to stop overrating Schroder like he's some mega superstar. He's easily replaceable because about every guard in the league can do exactly what Schroder does or do it even better. Yes EVEN the cheap PGs.

The plan should be to let the YouTuber go out and get his bag. If he comes back with empty offers, too bad, he has to take our offer which will not be remotely close to the previous offer of 84 million over 4 years.

If he throws a temper tantrum and signs somewhere else Montrezl Harrell style, then goodbye chump and good luck with your bottom feeder team.

So what’s the replacement for him?
BEazy
RealGM

Post#6 » by BEazy » Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:12 am

TylersLakers wrote:
ScHoolBoy B wrote:Honestly I don't understand where this idea that if we let Dennis go for nothing it's bad asset management. Look we let Ariza, Horry, and Pau go for nothing. It happens all the time in this league. Schroder can't even be compared to those three that I mentioned above. A lot of guys need to stop overrating Schroder like he's some mega superstar. He's easily replaceable because about every guard in the league can do exactly what Schroder does or do it even better. Yes EVEN the cheap PGs.

TJ McConnell, Malcolm Brogdon, or Terry Rozier via trade. Even a guy like Kendrick Nunn can do exactly what Schroder is doing and he's even cheaper than Schroder. Cap space doesn't have to be the death of a team. There are other ways to acquire players that the team needs. I just feel like everybody keeps spinning this cap space narrative and claiming it's the only way to get a player if Schroder leaves. That's far from the truth and it needs to stop.

TylersLakers
RealGM

Post#7 » by TylersLakers » Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:31 pm

ScHoolBoy B wrote:
TylersLakers wrote:

TJ McConnell, Malcolm Brogdon, or Terry Rozier via trade. Even a guy like Kendrick Nunn can do exactly what Schroder is doing and he's even cheaper than Schroder. Cap space doesn't have to be the death of a team. There are other ways to acquire players that the team needs. I just feel like everybody keeps spinning this cap space narrative and claiming it's the only way to get a player if Schroder leaves. That's far from the truth and it needs to stop.

You can definitely trade but that's when you have to start sign and trading THT, or sign and trading Caruso, or trading Kuzma. I'd rather keep Schroder (for now) and trade THT and Kuzma for better pieces that fit.

I'd love Brogdon. If I could trade Schroder and THT for Brogdon and Justin Holiday, I'd do that in 2 seconds.
Michael Lucky
RealGM
And1: 6,518

Post#8 » by Michael Lucky » Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:28 pm

Sadly he cannot shoot or space the floor for us so he does not make the team better. He certainly isnt worth the money he is looking for and i suspect he will regret not taking the Lakers mid season offers.
lazybatman
Sixth Man
And1: 876

Post#9 » by lazybatman » Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:59 am

ecuhus1981 wrote:Hello friends, Brooklyn fan here, I come in peace.

It's called the free agent trap. Ye, we're f*cked with Dennis. Same as Morris/Kennard-Clips or Rudy-Jazz last year.

Our best option is to extend him to a still tradable number and trade him off in near the deadline, unless we're using the MLE and don't mind the hard cap yet again.
lazybatman
Sixth Man

Post#10 » by lazybatman » Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:01 am

TylersLakers wrote:
ScHoolBoy B wrote:
TylersLakers wrote:

You can definitely trade but that's when you have to start sign and trading THT, or sign and trading Caruso, or trading Kuzma. I'd rather keep Schroder (for now) and trade THT and Kuzma for better pieces that fit.

I'd love Brogdon. If I could trade Schroder and THT for Brogdon and Justin Holiday, I'd do that in 2 seconds.

Brogdon & Myles Turner, instead of Holiday. That trade will need some additional picks and probably Kuz too for salary.
Eric Bieniemy
Pro Prospect
And1: 575

Post#11 » by Eric Bieniemy » Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:29 am

TylersLakers wrote:

Derrick Rose easy.

I think Rose comes for the MLE.
New York may take Kuzma for him, but there are obvious cap ramifications if there's a sign and trade.

If Rose comes, you let Schroder walk and don't bat an eye.

In addition to letting Harrell and Drummond walk, I really think getting Rose is the only "major" rotational acquisition they need to make:

Rose - Horton-Tucker
Pope - McLemore - Matthews
Gasol - Morris - McGee
Davis - Hollis-Jefferson
James - Caruso

Rose, Pope, Gasol, McLemore, Morris, and Caruso have to hit their open threes for the team to have success. With more defined roles, I think they do.
tamaraw08
Analyst
And1: 1,299

Post#12 » by tamaraw08 » Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:58 am

lazybatman wrote:
TylersLakers wrote:
ScHoolBoy B wrote:

Brogdon & Myles Turner, instead of Holiday. That trade will need some additional picks and probably Kuz too for salary.

Wait, they actually have additional pickS to offer? How is that possible. BTW, Rob will have to make Vogel sign off on whoever Pelinka is thinking of acquiring because Frank might just decide to bench them if they’re not cutting on defense
fteru6uhre54ew
Rookie
And1: 645

Post#13 » by fteru6uhre54ew » Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:02 am

He has a worst things than can't shoot. He just destroy the flow and rhythm of the team because he is ballhog the only he can do is create with the ball in his hands handle the ball 20 seconds and he only score he doesn't know to pass and doesn't have vision he doesn't understand the concepts of a point guard, only have a tunnel to the basket. Then he is small and a liability for size and rebound matchups. I already knowed that and didn't like it a **** the trade they did with Danny Green when he is the opposite as a player and fit much better.

He is just a backup point guard for 20 minutes to let him score of the bench and that's it. Thanks he rejected that 90 millions contract Pelinka is **** danger just to throwing that to this guy.
TylersLakers
RealGM

Post#14 » by TylersLakers » Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:54 pm

tamaraw08 wrote:
lazybatman wrote:
TylersLakers wrote:

Wait, they actually have additional pickS to offer? How is that possible. BTW, Rob will have to make Vogel sign off on whoever Pelinka is thinking of acquiring because Frank might just decide to bench them if they’re not cutting on defense

We have a first round pick this year (#22 overall). And it can be traded but it not "officially" until after the moratorium. So it would be a similar situation to what happened last year when we traded Danny Green (and the late 1st) for Schroder. It'll be one of those dumb deals where the player puts on a Lakers hat but goes to.. Sacramento or Indiana or whatever.
kblo247
RealGM
And1: 2,130

Post#15 » by kblo247 » Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:47 pm

Ariza was let go and replaced by Ron Artest
Horry was let go and replaced by Karl Malone

I mean damn that is a long way from TJ McConnell and I would love TJ actually ..

Pau is a good example because you let Pau go for nothing and just paid Jordan Hill and hoped it worked. That’s the equivalent of paying Caruso or Tucker in his role because of what per 36 says as it could work or he could fall on his face like Hill.

In a perfect world either Dennis returns or you work out where he wants to go for something like Brogdon, Lavine, Kemba, etc that’s already on a deal instead of a Lowry so you don’t hard cap yourself. Or Dragic if he opts in. It can’t be for a Lowry or Lonzo though in a sign and trade because you activate the cap. Hell I may swing for the fences if I’m the lakers and Dennis wanted to go to Washington and you got Harrell to opt in to be added to a Kuzma, Dennis, and Harrell for Russ.
lazybatman
Sixth Man

Post#16 » by lazybatman » Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:26 pm

tamaraw08 wrote:
lazybatman wrote:
TylersLakers wrote:

We have 8 picks - 6 of them tradable; 2 locked under Stepian, out of which 2021 pick can be conveyed before the Lakers sign the player.

Myles was on pace for DPOY candidature, when Pacers started cutting his minutes for Sabonis. Vogel would ejaculate in his pants at the thought of having a 3.4 blocks guy(who also happens to be a 35% 3 fg career shooter) on the front court with AD & Bron.

Brogdon's defense is a similar level to KCP, but most of his value is his IQ based play making & iso shot creation. He's also a 50-40-90 club member. Dennis, while fantastic on ball, is an equally terrible off ball defender. Brogdon's probably gonna level out as an above average defender on both.
BEazy
RealGM

Post#17 » by BEazy » Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:10 am

The YouTuber wants 100mil or 120 million in free agency according to a German news outlet. Get this **** guy out of LA man....

LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,200

Post#18 » by LAKESHOW » Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:36 am

I'm scouring the free agent market boys, as I'm sure Pelinka is as well, looking at all options. And if Pelinka offered that kinda cash early on to Dennis, it could be a signal on where and what he's thinkin.
Re-signing. Not saying that's where I would land. But just looking at the actions Pelinka has taken thus far on Schroders future. Thats Big coin placed on the table, even though he turned it down.
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 5,416

Post#19 » by Danny Darko » Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:14 am

Read on Twitter

ohhhhh helllll no.
TylersLakers
RealGM

Post#20 » by TylersLakers » Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:16 am

ScHoolBoy B wrote:The YouTuber wants 100mil or 120 million in free agency according to a German news outlet. Get this **** guy out of LA man....

That's silly and not happening. The projected teams with cap space are:

Knicks: $53M
OKC: $51M
Spurs: $48M
Dallas: $34M
Toronto: $28M
Charlotte: $24M

Who is offering him a contract for 18-20M plus out of those teams?

Knicks: Have Quickley, will want to re-sign Rose.
OKC: Have SGA, they've already had Schroder and traded him for a reason
Spurs: Derrick White, Murray make a combined 30M next season. A lot of money in two guards who can't shoot.
Dallas: That number will be cut in half once Hardaway re-signs.
Toronto: Already have Freddy V making $20M. You think they're going to pay Schroder more than a Raptors main cog?
Charlotte: Already have Melo and Graham (who's an RFA), they won't be wasting money on Schroder.

If a team outside of those teams want him - Awesome, that makes sign and trade opportunities for us. Which in my opinion, would be the best scenario other than a team-friendly short-term deal.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers