ImageImageImageImageImage

Free Agency: Dwight, Ellington, Ariza, Melo, Monk, Baze sign

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

EArl
RealGM
And1: 13,230

Re: Free agents to sign without trading any players 

Post#21 » by EArl » Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:38 pm

The Hypnotoad wrote:Would love to see if we could get Reggie Jackson for the full MLE. His 3 pt shooting was awesome in playoffs

Reggie is fools gold. He should be smart and get his last big contract before he declines dramatically.
Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing, Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before;
gordonyao
Sophomore
And1: 53

Post#22 » by gordonyao » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:31 am

So what's next?
We now have AD, LBJ, and WB as our big three which combined for 120 M salary already
If we keep Gasol, THT and Caruso for 20M combined then the team will exceed the salary cap

Meaning that we need to use Vet Min & Tax Payer MLE to fill out the remaining 9 roster spots right?

Which FA with shooting ability might accept min salary or MLE to ring chase in your opinion?
Big: Millsap / Morris ?
Wing: Otto Porter / Batum / Bullock / Green / Forbes / JJ / Matthews / Snell ?
kblo247
RealGM
And1: 2,130

Post#23 » by kblo247 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:50 am

EArl wrote:
The Hypnotoad wrote:Would love to see if we could get Reggie Jackson for the full MLE. His 3 pt shooting was awesome in playoffs

Reggie is fools gold. He should be smart and get his last big contract before he declines dramatically.

He actually knows how to play with Russ , next to him and behind him, so that is not terrible
Young_Fashioned
Sophomore
And1: 164

Post#24 » by Young_Fashioned » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:47 am

gordonyao wrote:So what's next?
We now have AD, LBJ, and WB as our big three which combined for 120 M salary already
If we keep Gasol, THT and Caruso for 20M combined then the team will exceed the salary cap

Meaning that we need to use Vet Min & Tax Payer MLE to fill out the remaining 9 roster spots right?

Which FA with shooting ability might accept min salary or MLE to ring chase in your opinion?
Big: Millsap / Morris ?
Wing: Otto Porter / Batum / Bullock / Green / Forbes / JJ / Matthews / Snell ?

I'd be fine if they spent the MLE on Batum, Bullock, or DG. Porter Jr. is just too injury prone to risk wasting it on him, he's played 56, 16, and 23 games the past three years or something like that.

I don't see us signing a small guard like Forbes with LBJ and Westbrook being the point guards on the team and I think THT will handle more PG duties this season.

I'm hoping the minimum would be enough to get Snell, fingers crossed. Ariza, Iggy, and Avery Bradley (if he gets bought out) might be wing options that will take the minimum. I'm guessing they'll bring back Wes and/or McLemore.

For bigs, looking at a backup center - Dwight, McGee, or Whiteside should be available for the minimum. Looking at a backup 4 - fine with bringing back Morris, but Millsap, Jeff Green, and Melo are good options too. I'd prefer Jeff Green if I had to pick one because of his ability to not only stretch the floor but to drive and finish, and he's a versatile defender.
chefy
Head Coach
And1: 650

Post#25 » by chefy » Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:04 am

According to WOJ, Lakers were trying to get Hield for Kuz and Harrell. If in deed true, I would’ve been ok with this, keep the 22 pick, and just sign Demar straight up.

AD, Morris
Bron,
Demar, KCP
Hield, THT
Schroder, Caruso
DNP-Old
Senior
And1: 331

Post#26 » by DNP-Old » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:49 pm

chefy wrote:According to WOJ, Lakers were trying to get Hield for Kuz and Harrell. If in deed true, I would’ve been ok with this, keep the 22 pick, and just sign Demar straight up.

AD, Morris
Bron,
Demar, KCP
Hield, THT
Schroder, Caruso

Wait, what? Hit refresh.
"Be quick, don't hurry" -John Wooden-

"No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth" -Plato-
tamaraw08
Analyst
And1: 1,288

Post#27 » by tamaraw08 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:11 pm

Getting legit shooters now should be the top priority.
Did you guys know that
Carmelo Anthony has shot 40% from 3 in 69 games for 2 seasons in Portland?
Danny Green didn't shoot well here but got his USUAL 40% from 3 in Philly last year.
Patty Mills has never shot below 37% the past 6 years, same with Doug McDermott.
Gary Trent Jr has a career 39.3% but has struggled in Toronto.
Kelly Olynik has a career 36.7% from 3, struggled in his final season in Miami with 31.7 but regained his touch 39.2%
slifersd
Analyst
And1: 210

Post#28 » by slifersd » Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:43 pm

tamaraw08 wrote:Getting legit shooters now should be the top priority.
Did you guys know that
Danny Green didn't shoot well here but got his USUAL 40% from 3 in Philly last year.
Patty Mills has never shot below 37% the past 6 years, same with Doug McDermott.
Kelly Olynik has a career 36.7% from 3, struggled in his final season in Miami with 31.7 but regained his touch 39.2%

Melo is probably as good as signed considering how little wing depth we have;

Danny Green always shoots well during a contract year. He was not good here the first go around and unless he comes for very low money, I wouldn't touch him again with a 10 foot pole;

Patty Mills would be a great fit as Russ' backup;

Gary Trent will probably want more money than what we can offer. If he is willing to accept our offer of MLE, Toronto can also match since he is restricted;

Olynyk is probably looking for more money than we can offer too. He is a little young to ring chase yet
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#29 » by gambitx777 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:59 pm

Wizards fan here. Big thanks for the Westbrook trade I hope he does well in la.
So I was just thinking about how y'all are gonna finish up this squad?
What are y'all looking at.

Rose, Mello, Howard, boogie, ish smith, Winslow, kanter, Millsap,Whiteside,deadmon, birtch, theis, MaClemore, teague, Blake Griffin, delcolo, Nato, etwan more, batumn, gallaway, Jeff green, Patrick Patterson, , harckles, and bringing back THT and Alex Caruso?

Can you guys afors to hard cap with a S&T sending Denis so where for a few players. ?

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using RealGM mobile app
Liam_Gallagher
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,966

Post#30 » by Liam_Gallagher » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:07 pm

At this point our best bet is to just sign veteran shooters who want to chase a ring. Would love to bring back both Talen and Alex but I’m not sure how realistic that is. Of the 2, I’d keep Talen.
tamaraw08
Analyst

Post#31 » by tamaraw08 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:11 pm

slifersd wrote:
Did you guys know that

Danny Green always shoots well during a contract year. He was not good here the first go around and unless he comes for very low money, I wouldn't touch him again with a 10 foot pole;

Gary Trent will probably want more money than what we can offer. If he is willing to accept our offer of MLE, Toronto can also match since he is restricted;

Olynyk is probably looking for more money than we can offer too. He is a little young to ring chase yet

Trent was great in Portland but only shot 35% from 3 in Toronto, yes, it's only 17 games but still, I have to wonder if he will truly flourish there esp if he only shot 14% in 2 games in Toronto as a Blazer, again not a good enough sample size.
Btw he is a Klutch client so he might take a discount and he shot 38% from 3 vs the Lakers, 41% vs the Clips so he must like to shoot in Staples.
Olynik is just 30, yes, but there are a bunch of centers giving out discounts like Noel etc, not sure if most teams are dying to have him...and I feel the opposite towards Mills who might get better offers
tamaraw08
Analyst

Post#32 » by tamaraw08 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:15 pm

gambitx777 wrote:Wizards fan here. Big thanks for the Westbrook trade I hope he does well in la.

Rose, Mello, Howard, boogie, ish smith, Winslow, kanter, Millsap,Whiteside,deadmon, birtch, theis, MaClemore, teague, Blake Griffin, delcolo, Nato, etwan more, batumn, gallaway, Jeff green, Patrick Patterson, , harckles, and bringing back THT and Alex Caruso?

Can you guys afors to hard cap with a S&T sending Denis so where for a few players. ?

Pelinka must be a great friend to the Wizards GM, I mean, they desperatelly needed to unload the contracts of Wagner and Bonga to free up that much needed cap space 2 years ago and they gladly took them in and now Westbrook.
So when are we getting Hachimura? :D
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#33 » by gambitx777 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:21 pm

tamaraw08 wrote:
gambitx777 wrote:Wizards fan here. Big thanks for the Westbrook trade I hope he does well in la.

Pelinka must be a great friend to the Wizards GM, I mean, they desperatelly needed to unload the contracts of Wagner and Bonga to free up that much needed cap space 2 years ago and they gladly took them in and now Westbrook.
So when are we getting Hachimura? :D
Don't forget about Thomas Bryant too lol the wiz have made a lot of lemonade out of discarded Lakers produce over the years.

slifersd
Analyst

Post#34 » by slifersd » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:59 pm

tamaraw08 wrote:
slifersd wrote:
Did you guys know that

Trent was great in Portland but only shot 35% from 3 in Toronto, yes, it's only 17 games but still, I have to wonder if he will truly flourish there esp if he only shot 14% in 2 games in Toronto as a Blazer, again not a good enough sample size.
Btw he is a Klutch client so he might take a discount and he shot 38% from 3 vs the Lakers, 41% vs the Clips so he must like to shoot in Staples.
Olynik is just 30, yes, but there are a bunch of centers giving out discounts like Noel etc, not sure if most teams are dying to have him...and I feel the opposite towards Mills who might get better offers

Not saying Trent wouldn't want to sign with us, but he is a restricted FA so if his price point is that low, Toronto is better off matching it and try to move him later in a trade. It's just sound asset management.

I doubt Mills gets a huge offer. there are like 50 points guards available in FA this year and very few teams have the money or need at that position. I doubt anyone is going to splash the cash on a career backup who is not a real difference maker like Mills;

Olynyk could go either way, I can see him wanting to join a real contender or aim for the biggest contract he can find. He is still young enough and has a good skill set to get more than the vets minimum.
EArl
RealGM
And1: 13,230

Post#35 » by EArl » Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:58 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing, Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before;
Lakers24gm
Junior
And1: 118

Post#36 » by Lakers24gm » Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:58 pm

Rudy Gay rumored to be a Lakers target. Makes sense can play 3 or 4 in closing line ups. Can come off the bench during the season.
Pythagoras
Analyst
And1: 3,282

Post#37 » by Pythagoras » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:15 pm

EArl wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

Yes please to both. I really like them as an off the bench forward duo.
Numbers rule the universe.
Pythagoras
Analyst
And1: 3,282

Post#38 » by Pythagoras » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:23 pm

Read on Twitter

Lakers will only have the mini MLE but not the full one. If Otto doesn’t get full MLE offers I would LOVE to have this dude.
Numbers rule the universe.
slifersd
Analyst

Post#39 » by slifersd » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:27 pm

Otto Porter would be a real nice signing considering his age, pedigree and skill set. But man, that guy can't stay off the trainer's table. Our window is short and we need sure things more than upside. I would rather just get Rudy Gay over Otto, probably come in cheaper too.
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 5,391

Re: Free agents to sign without trading any players: update Melo on the way? 

Post#40 » by Danny Darko » Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:08 pm

Read on Twitter

Return to Los Angeles Lakers