ImageImageImageImageImage

Free Agency: Dwight, Ellington, Ariza, Melo, Monk, Baze sign

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

dAdo dA dEvil
Sixth Man
And1: 476

Re: Free agents: update singed Dwight, Ellington, Ariza, Melo, Monk, Baze 

Post#401 » by dAdo dA dEvil » Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:06 am

snaquille oatmeal wrote:Where was all this Rondo love when he was here before?

Always liked Rondo. Especially when he punched Chris Paul. :D
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,390

Post#402 » by Dr Aki » Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:58 am

dAdo dA dEvil wrote:
snaquille oatmeal wrote:Where was all this Rondo love when he was here before?

Always liked Rondo. Especially when he punched Chris Paul. :D

Rajon Rondo wrote:Everyone wants to believe Chris Paul is a good guy. They don't know he's a horrible teammate. They don't know how he treats people. Look at what he did last year when he was in LA; trying to get to the Clippers locker room.
loveshaq786
Pro Prospect
And1: 86

Post#403 » by loveshaq786 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:41 pm

Milsap needs to be priority.

Rondo will help keep our focus and doesn't force anything on the court but lacks shooting.

I like a hungry IT... Fits well at the end of the bench. Will appreciate the chance to play and will put it all on the line for a few minutes.

Ennis is probably the best fit but I like the idea of svi a LOT. Given the right opportunity, he can be our peja
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,197

Post#404 » by LAKESHOW » Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:15 pm

I like the idea of Millsap. The 5 or interior was a problem last year, and we have alot of top side play on the team already.
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
DNP-Old
Senior
And1: 331

Post#405 » by DNP-Old » Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:23 pm

Don't we have enough old players?
"Be quick, don't hurry" -John Wooden-

"No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth" -Plato-
Pythagoras
Analyst
And1: 3,282

Post#406 » by Pythagoras » Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:19 pm

DNP-Old wrote:Don't we have enough old players?

Well, Marc Stein is now saying Gasol isn’t a lock to come back:

One more Lakers roster note: I’m hearing that Marc Gasol is not a lock to return to the Lakers, even after Gasol said following Spain’s quarterfinal loss to the United States in the Olympics that he intends to play out the final year of the two-year deal he signed with Los Angeles. It’s not yet clear if that means Gasol is poised to be set free to play elsewhere in the NBA or if he would ultimately opt to finish his career in his home country like brother Pau.

I’ve said before, I don’t mind either Dwight or Gasol, but I don’t really care to see both of those guys here soaking up minutes. AD, one old school C, and the rest of the minutes can at C can go to big forwards who occasionally play up as a small ball C. I’d expect Carmelo to fill that role some, but it would be nice to have another guy share that load with him. I think Milsap is a great option. His age doesn’t bother me, as I think he’s way better than Ariza, who is also old and IMO pretty washed.
Numbers rule the universe.
DNP-Old
Senior

Post#407 » by DNP-Old » Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:45 pm

Pythagoras wrote:
DNP-Old wrote:Don't we have enough old players?

Well, Marc Stein is now saying Gasol isn’t a lock to come back:

One more Lakers roster note: I’m hearing that Marc Gasol is not a lock to return to the Lakers, even after Gasol said following Spain’s quarterfinal loss to the United States in the Olympics that he intends to play out the final year of the two-year deal he signed with Los Angeles. It’s not yet clear if that means Gasol is poised to be set free to play elsewhere in the NBA or if he would ultimately opt to finish his career in his home country like brother Pau.

I’ve said before, I don’t mind either Dwight or Gasol, but I don’t really care to see both of those guys here soaking up minutes. AD, one old school C, and the rest of the minutes can at C can go to big forwards who occasionally play up as a small ball C. I’d expect Carmelo to fill that role some, but it would be nice to have another guy share that load with him. I think Milsap is a great option. His age doesn’t bother me, as I think he’s way better than Ariza, who is also old and IMO pretty washed.

Whether or not Gasol returns, I would like LAL to pick up another big. I also don't object to Milsap, it's just that I would prefer someone younger, with potential to grow. I would prefer Giles or Hartenstein.

LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,197

Post#408 » by LAKESHOW » Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:45 pm

In light of Gasols situation, I would also go big. We can't go another year being weak in the front court.
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,927

Post#409 » by tugs » Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:55 pm

Cacok time to shine?
BEazy
RealGM
And1: 2,483

Post#410 » by BEazy » Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:48 am

I would pick up Rondo and Millsap for the last two spots. Keep the last spot open for Kevin Love.

Long Live The Black Mamba. Kobe Bean Bryant Laker For Life. 8/24
tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,927

Post#411 » by tugs » Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:02 am

Didn't realize Biyombo is still available
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,228

Post#412 » by Kilroy » Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:19 am

Gotta keep a spot open for the buyout market... If Gasol goes, then you need another big and maybe one other guy, but no need to rush into Rondo or IT... If they get picked up by someone else, what have you lost really? Be patient and keep your options open and see what falls into your lap.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
ROballer
General Manager
And1: 2,752

Post#413 » by ROballer » Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:57 am

I'd be on board with Hartenstein/Giles too.
Any guy we get is not going to play a lot if at all, that was is eating at Gasol's stance as well most likely. He knows something.

For the millionth time, everyone in the organization has stressed a speed up game, and a game in which Lebron and AD will play PF/C to accomodate Westbrook.

And yet almost everyone keeps beating that horse that Howard/Gasol will both play and split some minutes at C, with one of them starting.

Wake the **** up once and for all. Davis is starting and ONLY playing at C, Howard was brought in to back him up. Gasol is seen as an insurance man should anything happen to Howard.

It makes sense from our personnel point. Both from our players strengths, and because a Lebron/AD frontcourt duo opens up more minutes for our numerous wing signings.

Gasol and Howard WOULD NEVER HAVE PLAYED in the same game.

That's why I'd prefer a younger guy who knows and accepts his role, that he won't play at all as long as Howard/Davis are healthy.
You bring Millsap, he'll ask PT.
Steve Nash injures his back while carrying bags

Slava wrote:I pulled a hammy while fapping. I won't make fun of Nash.
DNP-Old
Senior

Post#414 » by DNP-Old » Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:48 pm

I wouldn't mind getting Oturu from Memphis for a 2nd or two.

Pythagoras
Analyst

Post#415 » by Pythagoras » Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:27 pm

DNP-Old wrote:I wouldn't mind getting Oturu from Memphis for a 2nd or two.

The Lakers are firmly in win now mode. They can’t be wasting time with scrubs just because they’re young. I would’ve like a few more younger players as well, (would’ve preferred Shamet over Ellington, would’ve preferred Otto Porter over Ariza) but it just didn’t shake out like that.

Now is the time to focus on guys who can help the team this year. If that guy is youngish that’s cool, but he can’t be a project.
DNP-Old
Senior

Post#416 » by DNP-Old » Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:16 pm

Pythagoras wrote:

The Lakers are firmly in win now mode. They can’t be wasting time with scrubs just because they’re young. would’ve like a few more younger players as well, (would’ve preferred Shamet over Ellington, would’ve preferred Otto Porter over Ariza) but it just didn’t shake out like that.

Now is the time to focus on guys who can help the team this year. If that guy is youngish that’s cool, but he can’t be a project.

If LAL is relying on their 3rd/4th string F/C for anything other than garbage time, they're in trouble.

Pythagoras
Analyst

Post#417 » by Pythagoras » Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:35 pm

DNP-Old wrote:
Pythagoras wrote:

The Lakers are firmly in win now mode. They can’t be wasting time with scrubs just because they’re young. would’ve like a few more younger players as well, (would’ve preferred Shamet over Ellington, would’ve preferred Otto Porter over Ariza) but it just didn’t shake out like that.

If LAL is relying on their 3rd/4th string F/C for anything other than garbage time, they're in trouble.

There are way too many older players already on this roster for depth to not be important. Lebron, Melo, RW, and Dwight shouldn’t be expected to carry heavy minutes loads this season. The plan should be to manage those guys minutes the way the Spurs managed Duncan, Parker, and Manu’s minutes towards the end of their run. AD should also have some built in games for rest. And I’d like to see as little of Ariza as possible, as he’s pretty washed. If Gasol isn’t coming back the team needs another big who can give them quality minutes.
DNP-Old
Senior

Post#418 » by DNP-Old » Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:25 pm

Pythagoras wrote:
DNP-Old wrote:
Pythagoras wrote:

There are way too many older players already on this roster for depth to not be important. Lebron, Melo, RW, and Dwight shouldn’t be expected to carry heavy minutes loads this season. The plan should be to manage those guys minutes the way the Spurs managed Duncan, Parker, and Manu’s minutes towards the end of their run. AD should also have some built in games for rest. And I’d like to see as little of Ariza as possible, as he’s pretty washed. If Gasol isn’t coming back the team needs another big who can give them quality minutes.

They have depth. My statement stands. If LAL is relying on their 14th or 15th man as a regular in their rotation, they are in trouble.

Pythagoras
Analyst

Post#419 » by Pythagoras » Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:32 pm

DNP-Old wrote:
Pythagoras wrote:
DNP-Old wrote:

They have depth. My statement stands. If LAL is relying on their 14th or 15th man as a regular in their rotation, they are in trouble.

If you think the Lakers don’t need anymore depth that’s something I guess we’ll have agree to disagree on.
DNP-Old
Senior

Post#420 » by DNP-Old » Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:46 pm

Pythagoras wrote:
DNP-Old wrote:
Pythagoras wrote:

If you think the Lakers don’t need anymore depth that’s something I guess we’ll have agree to disagree on.

At this stage, any depth they add will be 3rd or 4th string. Spot minutes at best.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers