Re: Stein: Lakers have agreed to trade for Russell Westbrook 

Post#82 » by Kilroy » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:08 am

SlimShady83 wrote:
Kilroy wrote:Schroder
THT
Westbrook
LeBron
AD

Westbrook led the league in assists 3 of the last 4 season and has been at the top of the list most of the last decade... Like I said in the GB, why does he have to be our shooter? Takes the ball out of LeBron's hands more which makes our offense less stagnant, like when we had Rondo... AD shoots 3s, THT can shoot, defend and attack, if we keep Schroder, he can be more of a pure shooter, Lebron won't have to attack as much and can take it easier on the outside, which makes it easier for him to keep his 3pt% up...

Or flip Schroder and THT for someone else... It's still a major upgrade over a bunch of inconsistent bodies that contributed little to our wins... the mvp of that trade from our side is probably KCP.

You think THT will be placed in the starters role? not sure if he ready? I like him, but maybe not ready yet?

Schroder won't be Laker next season 100% sure on that.

If THT comes in shooting better this season, he better be in a starting role, or at worst, 6th man... Otherwise, it would be smart to trade him. Keeping him in a limited role off the bench not only is going to stifle his growth, it's also going to kill his value. I'd love to see a S&T with Schroder for a pure shooter and THT starting as the other guy, because I actually think THT is going to end up being a rich man's schroder in a year or so..

I also actually think playing with Westbrook could do THT a ton of good... If WB can take THT under his wing, that'd be huge for the young guy...
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#83 » by Kilroy » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:19 am

tugs wrote:Anyone else excited as I am for Marc Gasol because of the Westbrook addition?

Gasol was one of the most deadly 3pt shooters we had last season too... Having him in there helps all the way around.
Lakers24gm
Junior
And1: 118

Post#84 » by Lakers24gm » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:33 am

Kilroy wrote:
tugs wrote:Anyone else excited as I am for Marc Gasol because of the Westbrook addition?

Gasol was one of the most deadly 3pt shooters we had last season too... Having him in there helps all the way around.

Think he returns? Thought he was going to retire.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#85 » by Kilroy » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:42 am

Lakers24gm wrote:
Kilroy wrote:

Think he returns? Thought he was going to retire.

I don't know where the retirement thing came from... Did he say that? I think he planned on being back. But I got the feeling the Lakers coaches weren't all that into him, so he may retire just to get to a better situation.

I hope he doesn't though. I still think he can have a role here and have impact. I think the reason he looked so bad last season, was how slow and soft AD looked most of the season. If AD plays better, I think Gasol works better. If AD plays like he did last season, our interior is going to look soft no matter who plays next to him.
Pythagoras
Analyst
And1: 3,282

Post#86 » by Pythagoras » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:53 am

TJM217 wrote:
Pythagoras wrote:
TJM217 wrote:
This is how I feel. They need a floor spacer now.

On a side note. I know alot of people are saying LeBron and AD will space the floor but you are literally asking them to make the weakest parts of their game the main role on offense. This is the 2nd year in a row the Lakers big off season pick up is some one who is a liability in the playoffs. I'll be patient and see but I'm not hopeful.

It’s not just AD and Lebron spacing the floor with shooting. When AD moves to the 5 he’s one of the quickest players in the league at that position. When Lebron moves to the 4 he’s one of the quickest players in the league at that position. As long as those guys don’t just stand around when Westbrook is looking to create that can dramatically help space the floor. RW also has to be much more of a distributor/playmaker than scorer this season. But they also still need a high level shooter who can give the 25-30 min a night at the 2 or 3.

Lot of ifs to make it work.

I totally agree with you. There is two problems with moving AD and LBJ down there position. 1. They don't want to do it. 2. If there is 3 bodies in the paint it won't matter how quick you are. I agree tho the roster will need alot of work.

Yup, AD and Lebron don’t like playing the 5 and 4. Problem is, I’m pretty sure they both were politicking for this move behind the scenes. So now that the move has happened, it’s on those two to do what it takes to make sure it’s successful.
Numbers rule the universe.
Lakers24gm
Junior
And1: 118

Post#87 » by Lakers24gm » Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:32 am

One thing that bugs me about this trade is why include the pick. What other options were out there for Wizards? They are already saving so much money no need to include another asset.

I also think we need to find some low usage players now. I think JJ reddick would be amazing on this team. Tony Snell is another under the radar player to look at. Had like a 9% usage last year but shot over 50% on 3.
Freighttrain
Analyst
And1: 7,080

Post#88 » by Freighttrain » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:01 am

From all the players available Russel Westbrook is the most talented by far, yet perhaps the most controversial one so it was sort of bound to happen this way it seems. I do however like the trade, as I mentioned in an earlier thread about a possible RW to LA trade, he gives mainly LeBron, but also AD, the benefit of getting to load manage if need be during the regular season, as health was our main problem last season. Westbrook is one of the few stars who can singlehandedly carry his team and keep them afloat for a fringe playoff spot. He gives us that third star to compete against Brooklyn, and I'm sure he'll be motivated as hell if push comes to shove upon facing his former teammates. His drive is undeniable and his hustle is great so I'm sure he'll have the fans behind him because of that, but most of us know fit is going to be the main question mark. Westbrook is a ball-dominant point guard with terrible shooting woes, not the ideal player to play alongside LeBron. We do know both LeBron and AD signed off on this trade so they obviously thought about the playing style and think it'll work, which is something I can only stand behind if our stars want it as well. I'm hoping we get some shooters, which everyone and their mom can see the Lakers desperately need now. Don't think Hield is still available with the package we just send Washington's way, but we need to have at least 2 more deadeye shooters if we want to have some spacing at least. LeBron is best with shooters around him but for some reason he played with terrible spacing for the past few years which is very contradictory of his previous tenures with the Cavs and Heat. All in all, we needed a third star to combat the Nets if we were to matchup, which we did. I'm more glass half-full rather than half-empty on this trade as most people seem to be, because I think he brings more to the table than what the others gave us. Replacing KCP is going to be hard because of his defense and his ability to shoot, but both Kuz & Harell barely gave us anything during the playoffs, so all in all I think this was a solid trade. It's going to be a memorable ride, one way or the other.
dAdo dA dEvil
Sixth Man
And1: 476

Post#89 » by dAdo dA dEvil » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:05 am

Is it legal to trade Westbrook for Dame at least even before the trade deadline?
Pythagoras
Analyst

Post#90 » by Pythagoras » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:22 am

Lakers24gm wrote:One thing that bugs me about this trade is why include the pick. What other options were out there for Wizards? They are already saving so much money no need to include another asset.

I also think we need to find some low usage players now. I think JJ reddick would be amazing on this team. Tony Snell is another under the radar player to look at. Had like a 9% usage last year but shot over 50% on 3.

That was my initial question about the pick as well. It shouldn’t have been needed to get Westbrook. I’ll reserve judgment to see if they loop the Kings back into the deal on Aug 6 though.
durantbird
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,165

Post#91 » by durantbird » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:34 am

Slink wrote::noway:

How soon can we trade him?

Never, no one will want him
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 5,388

Post#92 » by Danny Darko » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:17 am

man...

I will hope this is a great ploy to get Dame for Russ and... idk

damn man. I don't like Russ and Rob seems like he's on the brink of destroying everything.

cool... team has health issues and shooting needs after a shortened offseason gets... an oft injured non shooting with a 40 million/year contract boat anchor. wow.
EArl
RealGM
And1: 13,228

Post#93 » by EArl » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:55 am

Danny Darko wrote:man...

I will hope this is a great ploy to get Dame for Russ and... idk

damn man. I don't like Russ and Rob seems like he's on the brink of destroying everything.

cool... team has health issues and shooting needs after a shortened offseason gets... an oft injured non shooting with a 40 million/year contract boat anchor. wow.

At least its a 2 year contract. I would rather have that then Dennis at 3 years 75. If it doesnt workout, that's a big one year expiring next year. I dont think we will need to be doing that though.
Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing, Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before;
ROballer
General Manager
And1: 2,750

Post#94 » by ROballer » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:56 am

durantbird wrote:
Slink wrote::noway:

How soon can we trade him?

Never, no one will want him

This is false. He has one more year left after this at 47 mil(Player option).

Every team in the league who wants to shed some salaries will jump all over his ass should we want to trade him.

He's a fairly easy trade chip in the 2022 summer.
Steve Nash injures his back while carrying bags

Slava wrote:I pulled a hammy while fapping. I won't make fun of Nash.
JVL
Starter
And1: 2,489

Post#95 » by JVL » Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:33 am

This is terrible in every way. We gave up depth for a 32 year old athletic ball hog who can't shoot and costs a ton of money. Watch him fall off the cliff this year, that'd be just our luck.

What are we trying to achieve here? Lakers are making moves as if Lebron was 25 and just entering his prime.

The only good thing about this is us ditching Kuzma and Harrell. Not too happy about losing KCP.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#96 » by Kilroy » Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:47 am

I'm going to put myself in the positive camp... I got a feeling this is going to work out better than anyone imagines.

We're not done yet, but even if this was, Westbrook still has a lot left in the tank and that's only going to get better, with all the extra help around him. He's not the type of dude to let his foot off the gas now... He adds some toughness and grit and you can be sure he won't head to the locker room early... It'll be good for AD to be around that too...

Maybe he's the hero we need.
SlimShady83
General Manager
And1: 1,151

Post#97 » by SlimShady83 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:04 am

Also if we do end up getting WB ... Why can't anyone see that Bron will becoming a Stretch 4? It's gonna happen - Edit: prolonging his career so he can play with son, what you all want I'm sure (not me, not a fan) but know you want that lol
Bring back Defense
Pythagoras
Analyst

Post#98 » by Pythagoras » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:14 am

Kilroy wrote:I'm going to put myself in the positive camp... I got a feeling this is going to work out better than anyone imagines.

We're not done yet, but even if this was, Westbrook still has a lot left in the tank and that's only going to get better, with all the extra help around him. He's not the type of dude to let his foot off the gas now... He adds some toughness and grit and you can be sure he won't head to the locker room early... It'll be good for AD to be around that too...

Maybe he's the hero we need.

If nothing else, he’s happy to be here, which is incredibly refreshing after Dennis the Menace and his “me-first” antics.
Pythagoras
Analyst

Post#99 » by Pythagoras » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:26 am

Lakers agree on deal to acquire Wizards’ Russell Westbrook

“They talked about putting their egos aside and playing as one in their quest to bring the Lakers another NBA championship. Westbrook talked about how his only intention was winning and coming back home to Los Angeles to become a champion.

“James and Davis talked about the two of them changing positions if that was best for the team — James moving from small forward to power forward and Davis from power forward to center.”

“Westbrook let James and Davis know he doesn’t mind playing off the ball when James initiates the offense…”

Well, I feel a lot better about this deal after reading this article. Let’s see if these guys can put their money where their mouth is.
Hans1984
Pro Prospect
And1: 314

Post#100 » by Hans1984 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:31 am

That's a terrible deal. Westbrook put up good stats on a bad team and he's old. The Lakers also gave up way too much to get him.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers