SlimShady83
General Manager
And1: 1,175

AD move to 5, Bron to the 4 

Post#1 » by SlimShady83 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:37 am

I kind of knew this was going to happen

AD at the 5
Bron at the 4

Not sure why AD cares about being at the 5? I mean these days pretty much everyone is a stretch 5 or at least not a post up scorer, like the good old days - Shannon explains this well.

There will be some match ups I'm sure that having AD at the 5 should change, but all in all I expect AD at the 5 most of the season and playoffs...

While on the subject of AD ...

I really think Lakers need to watch his minutes on - Back to Backs and Road Trips as we all know how fragile he is, Lakers need to save him for the playoffs
Bring back Defense
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Re: AD move to 5, Bron to the 4 

Post#2 » by Kilroy » Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:29 pm

The thing everyone keeps missing when they talk about this, is that this has a lot more to do with Westbrook than it does AD and LeBron... Bringing in Westbrook, who isn't a shooter, only works if you can get other shooters on the court too... So you NEED AD and LeBron to slide over to provide the flexibility to add a shooting wing and 2 guard from our extensive collection.

Should we expect 48min of AD and LeBron at the 4 and 5? Of course not, but should we expect many minutes with AD at the 4, with Westbrook on the court, probably not...

I expect limited minutes for all of the big 3 throughout the season, but I expect we'll get about 12min to start the game with AD at the 5, LeBron at the 4, and Westbrook playing whatever you want to call it... Then probably about 8min to close the game the same way... Beyond that, it will likely be a frustrating smorgasbord of switching rotations... and we won't really know what the playoff rotation is until the second round.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
TylersLakers
RealGM
And1: 2,811

Post#3 » by TylersLakers » Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:45 pm

If this is truly the plan, I'll be ecstatic. It also makes sense - Magic Johnson said a few weeks after the season ended that they needed to move AD to the 5 and acquire a playmaker. They did both. So I don't think it had anything to do with Westbrook. I'm sure that helped but our offensive spacing last year was a nightmare and they needed to go into the lab and come out with this solution.

Plus the pieces fit so much better.

PG: Westbrook/Nunn/
SG: Ellington/THT/
SF: Bazemore/Ariza/
PF: LeBron/Melo/
C: Davis/Howard/

Out of the rotation to begin: Monk, Rondo, Jordan

Rotation:

1st Quarter:

- LeBron, Ellington, Bazemore sub out around 5 minutes left for THT, Nunn, Ariza

Lineup: Westbrook/Nunn/THT/Ariza/Davis

- Davis subs out for Howard around 2 minute mark

Lineup: Westbrook/Nunn/THT/Ariza/Howard

---------------------

2nd Quarter:

- Westbrook subs out for LeBron to begin quarter
- Ariza subs out for Carmelo

Lineup: Nunn/THT/LeBron/Carmelo/Howard

- LeBron, Howard sub out around 6 minute mark for Westbrook, Davis

Lineup: Westbrook/Nunn/THT/Carmelo/Davis

- Nunn, THT, Carmelo sub out around 3-4 minute mark for Ellington, Bazemore, LeBron

Lineup: Westbrook/Ellington/Bazemore/LeBron/AD

----------------------

3rd Quarter:

- LeBron, Ellington, Bazemore check out for THT, Nunn, Ariza

Lineup: Westbrook/Nunn/THT/Ariza/AD

- Davis subs out for Howard around 2 minute mark

Lineup: Westbrook/Nunn/THT/Ariza/Howard

-----------------------

4th Quarter:

- Westbrook, Ariza check out for LeBron, Carmelo

Lineup: Nunn/THT/LeBron/Carmelo/Howard

- LeBron, Howard, THT check out around 6-7 minute mark for Westbrook, Davis, Bazemore

Lineup: Westbrook/Nunn/Bazemore/Carmelo/Davis

- Nunn*, Carmelo* check around 3-4 minute mark for LeBron and............ **depends who's hot or playing well between Nunn, THT, Ellington, Carmelo, Ariza**

Closing Lineup: Westbrook/Bazemore/????/LeBron/AD
heezyo2o
Starter
And1: 1,255

Post#4 » by heezyo2o » Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:44 am

Makes sense on paper, but it's all about the playoffs so need to save AD some wear and tear. AD will close most games at the 5 anyhow. Might as well get Dwight or someone else in there alongside AD. AD played well alongside a center the championship year
TylersLakers
RealGM
And1: 2,811

Post#5 » by TylersLakers » Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:07 am

heezyo2o wrote:Makes sense on paper, but it's all about the playoffs so need to save AD some wear and tear. AD will close most games at the 5 anyhow. Might as well get Dwight or someone else in there alongside AD. AD played well alongside a center the championship year

I'm not worried about that because the NBA is just such a different game. There's only a few C's that I'd change the lineup for:

- Joel Embiid
- Nikola Jokic
- Jonas Valanciunas and Zion Williamson
- Steven Adams

And I think playing the 4, there's more asked of you in space when it comes to moving around: rotating, closing out to shooters, crashing in from the weak side to block shots/get rebounds, etc. With him playing the 5, he's playing in more short spaces. He's coming up to switch or coming up to hedge so that AD can recover to his man on the "no roller behind concept."

It's a completely different game. Now, if you're playing THOSE teams that I mentioned above.. you're starting Dwight or Jordan and probably taking Carmelo or Ariza out of the rotation and limiting Ariza's minutes.
Eric Bieniemy
Pro Prospect
And1: 575

Post#6 » by Eric Bieniemy » Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:17 pm

Like an old library book in my attic, long overdue.

What ever happened to coaches coaching? Most players are not smart enough to see the whole picture. Davis has always been a center. He's just never had an authority make him play there fulltime. In this case, the authority is LeBron and Klutch.
scoobs07
Starter
And1: 82

Post#7 » by scoobs07 » Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:52 pm

I have been saying this was going to happen repeatedly but a lot of naysayers keep slamming the idea. AD and Lebron moving up a position makes a ton of sense though.
scoobs07
Starter
And1: 82

Post#8 » by scoobs07 » Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:07 pm

Sharpe was wrong about how Milwaukee was terrible from three. I thought they were like 4th in the NBA in three-point field goal percentage, and they shot a high volume. Didn't they have Middleton, Holiday, DiVicenzo, Lopez, Conaughton, Portis, Tucker, Forbes, Augustin? That's a lot of shooters. I guess they just got cold in the playoffs as Broussard mentioned.
TJM217
Pro Prospect
And1: 242

Post#9 » by TJM217 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:11 pm

First of all this is not official. This was Rich Paul saying this in passing. I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't happen. It would be great. It would create better spacing but I don't believe it until I see it.
Lake Show Baby!!!
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,543

Post#10 » by stan francisco » Fri Oct 8, 2021 2:47 pm

If AD’s body can handle it and he’s now up for it? I’m game, it’s a no brainer. AD is the best defensive center in the league, no discussion. I’d argue he’s as good a defensive talent as there has ever been at the C position. If his body lasts.

Pros:

Defense: AD is our best defensive C. LBJ is our best defensive PF. Bazemore is our best defensive SF. THT will be (I believe) our best defensive SG. Westbrook under Vogel and with Rondo in his ear has the potential to be a beast defender for us at PG.

Offense: AD will probably be used as a stretch shooter to open up the paint, as will LBJ. Neither can be left open from three, which would create room for RW, THT and Baze to go one on one in the paint and take easier threes. If we keep AD and LBJ from getting too banged up in the paint on offense in the regular season, they might escape some injuries before the playoffs. Position less basketball? I’m in.

Cons:

Defense: The risk of AD get injured increases. I see no other cons.

Offense: No cons.

PG: RW 20 | Nunn 16 | Rondo 12
SG: THT 16 | Monk 16 | Ellington 8 | RW 8
SF: Baze 16 | LBJ 12 | THT 12 | Ariza 8
PF: LBJ 20 | AD 12 | Melo 12 | Ariza 4
C: AD 20 | Howard 16 | DAJ 12

EDIT: I think we will blow teams out with our defense. There will be garbage time and our stars won’t have to ruin their knees playing 40 minutes. I can see them playing less than the above. 70 wins? If healthy, I don’t see why not. We have a beastly roster. Beastly.
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
tamaraw08
Analyst
And1: 1,282

Post#11 » by tamaraw08 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:22 pm

SlimShady83 wrote:I kind of knew this was going to happen

AD at the 5
Bron at the 4

Not sure why AD cares about being at the 5? I mean these days pretty much everyone is a stretch 5 or at least not a post up scorer, like the good old days - Shannon explains this well.

There will be some match ups I'm sure that having AD at the 5 should change, but all in all I expect AD at the 5 most of the season and playoffs...

I really think Lakers need to watch his minutes on - Back to Backs and Road Trips as we all know how fragile he is, Lakers need to save him for the playoffs

So what the hell is going on now?
Vogel: AD, I think we need you to play center.\
AD: (sigh) Ok coach, I guess I can play center
AD sees Memphis players warming up and just realized that he has to defend and be guarded by Steven Adams.
AD: coach, I can't play center, my shoulder hurts, my Ankle hurts, you need to put in DeAndre in there.
Vogel: ummm ok.
Vogel looks away and roll his eyes.
SlimShady83
General Manager
And1: 1,175

Post#12 » by SlimShady83 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:46 pm

tamaraw08 wrote:

AD at the 5
Bron at the 4

AD sees Memphis players warming up and just realized that he has to defend and be guarded by Steven Adams.
AD: coach, I can't play center, my shoulder hurts, my Ankle hurts, you need to put in DeAndre in there.

LOL like I said there will be match ups where he won't play the 5 ...

But in saying that AD has to be the softest big man I've ever seen in my life LOL
Bring back Defense
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,189

Post#13 » by LAKESHOW » Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:52 pm

Who's idea was it to sign DeAndre Jordan?
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
tamaraw08
Analyst

Post#14 » by tamaraw08 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:21 pm

SlimShady83 wrote:
tamaraw08 wrote:

AD at the 5
Bron at the 4

LOL like I said there will be match ups where he won't play the 5 ...

But in saying that AD has to be the softest big man I've ever seen in my life LOL

Game 1 Warriors starting center was Kevon Looney is listed at 6-9, 222 lbs, AD still started at PF, was Looney still too big for him? :roll:
tamaraw08
Analyst

Post#15 » by tamaraw08 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:36 pm

LAKESHOW wrote:Who's idea was it to sign DeAndre Jordan?

Anthony Davis? :wink:
koogiking
Veteran
And1: 1,080

Post#16 » by koogiking » Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:48 am

Melo needs to start along with Lebron and AD
LAKESHOW
RealGM

Post#17 » by LAKESHOW » Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:43 am

I'll take Melo on the blocks moreso than DeAndre
tamaraw08
Analyst

Post#18 » by tamaraw08 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:42 pm

LAKESHOW wrote:I'll take Melo on the blocks moreso than DeAndre

AD: question for you guys who like Melo to start, So whose going to guard the opposing starting centers then? Melo? Lebron? Bazemore? :nonono:
LAKESHOW
RealGM

Post#19 » by LAKESHOW » Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:25 pm

I think the point is Pelinka has no idea what he is doing regarding the 5. DeAndre Jordan?? The Nets suckered this dude
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#20 » by Ballerhogger » Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:42 pm

DJ been almost usless complete tip ins last game but he cant start.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers