zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,906

Re: Trade Deadline thread: Nada... Nothing... Zip... WTF 

Post#521 » by zimpy27 » Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:56 pm

Kilroy wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:
Kilroy wrote:So there are all these stories now still saying "Lakers would have had to convince Houston" to do the Westbrook/Wall swap...

It's pure comedy... Westbrook plays, Wall doesn't and even when he did (post injury) Westbrook was better...

As much as I want Westbrook gone, I would have lost it if we had traded him and a pick for John Wall... Even a pick swap would have pissed me off...
So silver-lining found...

I would've been fine with an SRP at the most

From houston...

:)

Nah from Lakers, Lakers didn't even use an SRP on Reaves, he just agreed to stay out of the interest of other teams so Lakers could pick him up undrafted. I'm cool with that approach.

Kicking the tyres on Wall would have been just doing something to change the situation. And I would have done it for the ego difference of putting Wall on the bench, at this point he just wants to play. Russ hasn't got to that Melo moment yet where he realises it's a privilege to play and not a right.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
tamaraw08
Analyst
And1: 1,279

Post#522 » by tamaraw08 » Wed Feb 16, 2022 12:22 am

From Silverscreenandroll:
McMenamin: “There was an iteration of the John Wall trade that included Christian Wood that would have involved more money. I’ve been told from other sources in Houston that there was a message that the Lakers were not willing to take on more money.”

This season, Wood is averaging 17.6 points and 10.2 rebounds per game on 48.4% shooting from the field and 37.1% shooting from the 3-point line on five attempts per game. That scoring mark is down from last season when he averaged 21 points per game on 51.4% shooting overall. At 26 years old, Wood could also offer a youthful injection the Lakers have very little of on the roster as well.

But luxury tax concerns have driven much of the conversation with the Lakers and their roster moves over the last year. Alex Caruso is not a Laker this season because of it and it seems now that Wood is another name that could be added to that list.
IMO, it’s pretty clear now that the Russ, AD, Lebron experiment has failed ans will not work, having Wall who don’t commit as many turnovers and dumb plays along with a young tall player who can shoot, rebound and block shots MIGHT help. If it doesn’t work, Wood’s contract is not that difficult to trade.
John Murdoch
General Manager
And1: 7,258

Post#523 » by John Murdoch » Wed Feb 16, 2022 5:09 pm

Kilroy wrote:https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/265807/Source-Refutes-Rob-Pelinka-Claim-He-Consulted-LeBron-James-Anthony-Davis-On-Deadline-Plans

So now AD and LeBron are saying Pelinka didn't consult them about standing pat... Sounds like maybe they REALLY wanted Westbrook gone and were willing to give up the Pick and take back Wall...

Because that's the only obvious move we had available to us.

That would have been supremely stupid and would have made a horrible situation even worse... So **** LeBron and AD on that one...

And props to Pelinka for freezing out stupidity. I hope this signals a shift in approach going forward, away from Klutch Komplete Access..

I would pat pelinka on the back but rly he should have had the nuts to not make the WB deal in the 1st place. Look how much he handicapped Houston in that series we beat them in..how can u watch that and still pull the trigger is beyond me
Magic#1 wrote:We have won two playoff games in two years. If we decide to keep this team for the next two years, maybe it will feel like we won a series.
John Murdoch
General Manager

Post#524 » by John Murdoch » Wed Feb 16, 2022 5:14 pm

Than you have 3 FRP's you can add to WB's expiring to get some kind of nice haul . In the meantime .

Vanvleet
Trent JR
LeBron
OG Anonoby
X

Thats a nice defensive core to build around LeBron for another 2 yr window..than whatever u get for WB plus picks added on
Magic#1 wrote:We have won two playoff games in two years. If we decide to keep this team for the next two years, maybe it will feel like we won a series.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#525 » by zimpy27 » Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:40 am

- I think TT will be joining the team as a buyout.
- I think Jordan and Howard will be allowed to talk with Philly and other teams, if another team wants them as their backup then Lakers will waive them for free. I think someone will want one of them.

- I think Bazemore will also be allowed to look for another team also.
- Schroeder will be the target for Lakers after that.

I like the TT fit with LeBron and Davis-Lakers desperately need rebounding help.
I also like the Schroder fit as a POA defender and a starter pairing with Monk.

Schroeder, Monk, Lebron, TT, Davis -- Nunn, Westbrook, Reaves, THT, Melo
LAL1947
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,620

Post#526 » by LAL1947 » Sat Feb 19, 2022 12:42 pm

The Lakers should be in full-on asset collection mode. This roster is done... and the sooner they realize it and act upon it instead of prolonging the charade, the better. IMO, the FO needs to do whatever it takes except trade AD, since he can be one of the players they rebuild around for the next 5 years.

Trading Lebron should absolutely be on the menu too, to get back any good assets for him while they still can. Lebron is 37 going on 38, all it takes is one unfortunate accident on court that he cannot recover from at this age or for Father Time to more visibly catch up to him for his trade value to go to ZERO, while he's collecting $44m. Do we not already have a player (in Westbrook) with negative trade value and collecting $44m to learn a lesson from?

tamaraw08 wrote:From Silverscreenandroll:
McMenamin: “There was an iteration of the John Wall trade that included Christian Wood that would have involved more money. I’ve been told from other sources in Houston that there was a message that the Lakers were not willing to take on more money.”

I would have been happy with this trade. Assuming they mean:

Wall + Wood for Westbrook + THT, and didn't include the 2027 1st round pick.

Wood is a trade asset and a player who could be used for 3-5 years.
LAL1947
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,620

Post#527 » by LAL1947 » Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:52 am

1) Trade Lebron back to Cleveland... for Jarrett Allen, Lauri Markkanen and 2 unprotected FRPs.
2) Trade Anthony Davis and Laker's 2027 FRP to OKC... for SGA and Dort. Include swaps if we must.
3) Tamper with Anunoby so he forces his way out of Toronto... for THT and the 2 Cleveland FRPs.

And hey presto! We'll be back in the thick of things again. :D

PG: SGA / new guy
SG: Dort / Monk
SF: Anunoby / Reaves
PF: Markkanen / new guy
CE: Allen / new guy

I posted the above half-jokingly in the General section of the forum. The more I think about it though, I'd really like to see Rob Pelinka attempt a rebuild like this. What do you guys think, is it too far fetched and are the values off?
RamonSessions7
RealGM
And1: 4,026

Post#528 » by RamonSessions7 » Sun Feb 20, 2022 2:37 pm

LAL1947 wrote:1) Trade Lebron back to Cleveland... for Jarrett Allen, Lauri Markkanen and 2 unprotected FRPs.
2) Trade Anthony Davis and Laker's 2027 FRP to OKC... for SGA and Dort. Include swaps if we must.
3) Tamper with Anunoby so he forces his way out of Toronto... for THT and the 2 Cleveland FRPs.

Does one of those Cleveland picks need to go to OKC instead?

And hey presto! We'll be back in the thick of things again. :D

PG: SGA / new guy
SG: Dort / Monk
SF: Anunoby / Reaves
PF: Markkanen / new guy
CE: Allen / new guy

I posted the above half-jokingly in the General section of the forum. The more I think about it though, I'd really like to see Rob Pelinka attempt a rebuild like this. What do you guys think, is it too far fetched and are the values off?

Doesn’t make any sense for OKC and the Anunoby type move of a decent player forcing his way out for junk doesn’t really make sense either. A rebuild on our part is beginning to make a lot of sense though
Landsberger
General Manager
And1: 1,969

Post#529 » by Landsberger » Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:54 am

This "era" is over. Not unlike Boston's last run with KG etc. Age and injury got them too. They were acquiring assets along the way however and were able to sell before it went to zero. Few things we can learn from them but their exit from that team was about as good as you could get given the situation they were in.
John Murdoch
General Manager

Post#530 » by John Murdoch » Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:19 pm

Landsberger wrote:This "era" is over. Not unlike Boston's last run with KG etc. Age and injury got them too. They were acquiring assets along the way however and were able to sell before it went to zero. Few things we can learn from them but their exit from that team was about as good as you could get given the situation they were in.

Not rly. It took a rookie russian owner who thought it was european soccer to bail out ainge, other wise those dudes had no value left individually kinda like westbrook
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,441

Post#531 » by Slava » Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:28 pm

Jevon Carter would be a nice acquisition for perimeter defense.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
BEazy
RealGM
And1: 2,483

Post#532 » by BEazy » Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:27 pm

So now there is news about how Lakers wouldn’t offer 2 years or more to DeRozan… I’m starting to think Jeanie is in way over her head and she needs to sell the team…

Long Live The Black Mamba. Kobe Bean Bryant Laker For Life. 8/24
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#533 » by zimpy27 » Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:53 pm

Slava wrote:Jevon Carter would be a nice acquisition for perimeter defense.

Yeah Carter could be nice.
MAMBAEMD
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,622

Post#534 » by MAMBAEMD » Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:22 pm

I was thinking about Carter too but he's going to the Bucks.
Formerly lakerRD
Landsberger
General Manager
And1: 1,969

Post#535 » by Landsberger » Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:23 am

John Murdoch wrote:
Landsberger wrote:This "era" is over. Not unlike Boston's last run with KG etc. Age and injury got them too. They were acquiring assets along the way however and were able to sell before it went to zero. Few things we can learn from them but their exit from that team was about as good as you could get given the situation they were in.

Not rly. It took a rookie russian owner who thought it was european soccer to bail out ainge, other wise those dudes had no value left individually kinda like westbrook

I don't follow.... did they or did they not cash out in some respects. They worked a great deal. Are you saying someone "gave" them that deal?.... kind of like how we got Pau sort of deal? Come on! The NBA is made on one sided deals and we can make them with the right leadership.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers