Trade Deadline thread: Nada... Nothing... Zip... WTF

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,987

Re: Trade Deadline thread: Nada... Nothing... Zip... WTF 

Post#481 » by zimpy27 » Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:01 am

Some people claiming they saw Rob Pelinka at Disneyland in the final hours of the trade deadline. That would be amazing if true. :lol:
Read on Twitter

Anyway, buyout season approaches. I think bembry looks good and is available. Dare the Lakers bring back Schroder? Season can't get worse.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,191

Post#482 » by LAKESHOW » Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:02 am

I'm gonna throw out the saving grace that yes, Bron got us 2 years ago, what every body else is chasing. The Chip. The Ring. The Banner. We gotta give Bron that.
BUT THIS SEASON, has been a total disaster. No way around it. He and Pelinka screwed this year up in an epic fashion..
But hey, at least we got one during Brons tenure here. It most likely is the last one of his career.
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
Hans1984
Pro Prospect
And1: 317

Post#483 » by Hans1984 » Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:03 am

Beethoven wrote:Time to root for another team.

Just kidding

Certainly not gonna root for this sh.tshow any longer especially since they didn't make any trades :banghead:
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,447

Post#484 » by Slava » Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:15 am

zimpy27 wrote:Some people claiming they saw Rob Pelinka at Disneyland in the final hours of the trade deadline. That would be amazing if true. :lol:
Read on Twitter

Anyway, buyout season approaches. I think bembry looks good and is available. Dare the Lakers bring back Schroder? Season can't get worse.

I bet Bron pushed him out and started making calls himself. :lol:
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,545

Post#485 » by stan francisco » Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:11 pm

I don’t blame Rob.

Rich Paul put this roster together, he’s the GM. If he were at Disneyland, I’d be pissed. Take the year off, Rob.

After the season, S&T LeBron for all of Cleveland’s youth. That would make for some poetic justice.
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
tamaraw08
Analyst
And1: 1,289

Post#486 » by tamaraw08 » Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:05 pm

stan francisco wrote:I don’t blame Rob.

Rich Paul put this roster together, he’s the GM. If he were at Disneyland, I’d be pissed. Take the year off, Rob.

After the season, S&T LeBron for all of Cleveland’s youth. That would make for some poetic justice.

I blame Rob for not fighting Jeannie to re-sign Caruso. Losing good defenders like KCP and Kuzma was huge and Pelinka should have asserted the importance of keeping Alex. Caruso's contract would have been a good trade piece too, to package for a better player if it meant to improve the team.
If Rich Paul and Lebron were REALLY running the team, they would have traded the 2027 pick bec James would be 43 by then and not playing anymore= HE DOESN'T CARE ABOUT 2027!!!
LAKESHOW
RealGM

Post#487 » by LAKESHOW » Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:45 pm

zimpy27 wrote:Some people claiming they saw Rob Pelinka at Disneyland in the final hours of the trade deadline. That would be amazing if true. :lol:
Read on Twitter

This dude just YES MAN' our season away, by capitulating to every demand Bron and Team had, especially with THT. Who is turning out to be a major over hype with the inability to shoot the Rock in a shooters league, and his response? IM GOIN TO DISNEYLAND!!
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#488 » by zimpy27 » Fri Feb 11, 2022 7:12 pm

The Westbrook disaster contract becomes an expiring $47m from the offseason onwards. Lakers also have the 27 FRP and 29 FRP to give. They can make some decent moves in offseason I think.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#489 » by Kilroy » Fri Feb 11, 2022 7:14 pm

Read on Twitter

That's not Rob... Close but no cigar... Hairline, eyes, etc...

Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#490 » by Kilroy » Fri Feb 11, 2022 7:20 pm

Rob on the deadline:

“We were aggressive in a lot of conversations trying to improve the team – we always want to put this team in the best position to win a championship,” L.A.’s VP of Basketball Ops said on a conference call. “But ultimately we didn’t find a deal that had a net positive effect for the short term success of the team and the long term, and those are both things we consider.”

Pelinka added that the Lakers have “Shown the ability to be nimble on the fly,” by adding Stanley Johnson from their G-League roster, elevating Austin Reaves from a two-way deal in the offseason and picking vet Avery Bradley up off waivers.

“It’s important to remember that the metric of success here is, you win a championship or we don’t,” Pelinka explained. “There’s no middle ground. We have to be on a pathway to put this team in a position to try and compete for and win championships. That takes the support of one another, and I know that’s going on internally despite what others might say.

“When it comes to finding success when a team is not winning, I think the most important action is for everyone to look in the mirror and be better. That includes the front office, it includes the coaches, it includes the players.”

https://www.nba.com/lakers/news/rob-pelinka-trade-deadline-media-2-10-22
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#491 » by zimpy27 » Fri Feb 11, 2022 7:26 pm

Kilroy wrote:Rob on the deadline:

“We were aggressive in a lot of conversations trying to improve the team – we always want to put this team in the best position to win a championship,” L.A.’s VP of Basketball Ops said on a conference call. “But ultimately we didn’t find a deal that had a net positive effect for the short term success of the team and the long term, and those are both things we consider.”

Pelinka added that the Lakers have “Shown the ability to be nimble on the fly,” by adding Stanley Johnson from their G-League roster, elevating Austin Reaves from a two-way deal in the offseason and picking vet Avery Bradley up off waivers.

“It’s important to remember that the metric of success here is, you win a championship or we don’t,” Pelinka explained. “There’s no middle ground. We have to be on a pathway to put this team in a position to try and compete for and win championships. That takes the support of one another, and I know that’s going on internally despite what others might say.

“When it comes to finding success when a team is not winning, I think the most important action is for everyone to look in the mirror and be better. That includes the front office, it includes the coaches, it includes the players.”

I like the mindset. Lakers didn't have the assets to make enough of a difference to be a championship team this season, so why waste the few assets they have?

The team will be better for knowing that the deadline is over. They can make some rotation changes.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,447

Post#492 » by Slava » Fri Feb 11, 2022 7:33 pm

I hope we at least get dudes like Gary Harris and Schröder on the buyout market. They won’t make a massive difference but it at least solidifies the defense again with dudes willing to make the hard rotations on every possession.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#493 » by Kilroy » Fri Feb 11, 2022 7:44 pm

zimpy27 wrote:
Kilroy wrote:Rob on the deadline:

I like the mindset. Lakers didn't have the assets to make enough of a difference to be a championship team this season, so why waste the few assets they have?

The team will be better for knowing that the deadline is over. They can make some rotation changes.

Yeah, they're saying all the right things at this point, but it still feels like LeBron's camp trying to throw the FO under the bus and Pelinka trying to control the narrative...

Either there was a reason they thought taking the huge gamble on Westbrook was necessary this season... Or maybe it was the fact that his contract expired at the same time as LeBron's... Or they just got cocky...

I agree that once the trade deadline came around, the die was already cast and there probably weren't a whole lot of options out there... But I'm still not convinced they couldn't have done more...

So now, I have no other choice but to wait and see what they have in store for this summer.... Extend LeBron in such a way that it frees up another max slot? Extend BOTH Westbrook and LeBron on the cheep to free up another Max?

Who knows... But either this season is a complete debacle, which would logically result in multiple heads rolling, on any other team, in any other sport...
Or they had a good reason to accept the risk, and this season was always probably a throw-away...

If they fire Vogel, my guess is it's just a plain old fashioned debacle... If no one get's canned... Then I gotta think they have something big in the works for the summer.
LAKESHOW
RealGM

Post#494 » by LAKESHOW » Fri Feb 11, 2022 7:53 pm

Slava wrote:I hope we at least get dudes like Gary Harris and Schröder on the buyout market. They won’t make a massive difference but it at least solidifies the defense again with dudes willing to make the hard rotations on every possession.

Schroeder. Aw what the hell, what do we got to lose.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#495 » by Kilroy » Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:23 pm

LAKESHOW wrote:
Slava wrote:I hope we at least get dudes like Gary Harris and Schröder on the buyout market. They won’t make a massive difference but it at least solidifies the defense again with dudes willing to make the hard rotations on every possession.

Schroeder. Aw what the hell, what do we got to lose.

Schroeder at least plays some semblance of Defense... And is probably a more dangerous scorer than Bradley and THT...

He also should be humble enough at this point to listen... So I wouldn't mind bringing back... Gary Harris too...

Schroder is pretty bad as a floor general though... he can bring the ball up but is a turnover waiting to happen in traffic and when he tries to pass... A bit like Monk..

Also, if we could get a better backup big than DAJ, I'd dump him in a heartbeat... Robin Lopez?
LAKESHOW
RealGM

Post#496 » by LAKESHOW » Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:41 pm

I agree. And I believe that's the MAX we can do this season. Wait the buy out. Pick up a Guard, who has some experience with these guys and this coach. (Whatever that means). And Dump DeAndre. Its what we are backed into the corner with, and probably the best we are gonna ever possibly get this year.
slifersd
Analyst
And1: 210

Post#497 » by slifersd » Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:48 pm

We are trying to get Schroeder back?! LOL, man this has been a weird season. I doubt he would want to sign back here though. He should have a decent number of contending teams going after him since he is a good 6th man. And it's not like he left here on great terms or anything. If anything, I think DJ Augustin would be a pretty nice pick up right now. Solid veteran who knows how to run an offense and can shoot. His defense isn't great, but he at least won't quit on that end of the floor like Russ does.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#498 » by zimpy27 » Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:29 pm

Schroeder, Monk, Westbrook, LeBron, Davis is something I'd like to see.

I want Westbrook to start on the bench or be used as a wing defender. He's strong enough to defend wings full time but lacks the agility to defend point guards full time now.
slifersd
Analyst
And1: 210

Post#499 » by slifersd » Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:54 pm

zimpy27 wrote:Schroeder, Monk, Westbrook, LeBron, Davis is something I'd like to see.

I want Westbrook to start on the bench or be used as a wing defender. He's strong enough to defend wings full time but lacks the agility to defend point guards full time now.

Problem is, Westbrook doesn't play defense. It's not that he is physically unable to play defense but he mentally does not want to spend any effort on it. He rather spend time soaking over a missed garbage shot than actually get to his assignment defensively.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#500 » by zimpy27 » Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:02 pm

slifersd wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:Schroeder, Monk, Westbrook, LeBron, Davis is something I'd like to see.

Problem is, Westbrook doesn't play defense. It's not that he is physically unable to play defense but he mentally does not want to spend any effort on it. He rather spend time soaking over a missed garbage shot than actually get to his assignment defensively.

That's not entirely true, he definitely has mental lapses that make poor highlight plays. Most plays he does put effort in but he often struggles on guards these days it seems, if he didn't struggle then Lakers wouldn't be playing AB.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers