What they think but would not Publicly Say

Moderators: Danny Darko, Kilroy, TyCobb

tamaraw08
Analyst
And1: 1,235

What they think but would not Publicly Say 

Post#1 » by tamaraw08 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:57 pm

Lebron, AD,Rob and Vogel: God Westbrook suck
Lebron: God I am tired, AD is so soft and I miss Caruso and KCP.
AD: Yup, I am soft, I'm glad I signed the max contract. And yes Westbrook sucks.
Westbrook: You M-Fer's don't see the stats I'm putting up, I'm good, there's nothing wrong with me, it's just that everybody sucks and yes AD is soft.
Vogel: Rob, AD and Lebron blew this one, I am not a magician, I can't magically turn these shooters into great defenders. I miss AC, KUC AND KCP.
Rob: Gosh, I can't believe we picked THT over Caruso.. .or we should have kept both only if Jeannie would just pay up.
chefy
Head Coach
And1: 650

Re: What they think but would not Publicly Say 

Post#2 » by chefy » Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:10 am

We got lucky in 2020 because of the shortened season
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,496

Post#3 » by zimpy27 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:52 am

AD: My achilles injury last season has impacted my athleticism and my shot, the move to center is a move to hide that.
LeBron: My high ankle injury last season has only just stopped nagging me, Westbrook was meant to help us through the RS so I can coast.
Westbrook: I suck right now, god I hope I start hitting baskets so they don't move me from my hometown.
Vogel: I look like a fraud that was saved by Caruso/KCP if I can't get this team to play good defense.
Jeannie: Can't believe I'm paying so much tax for this trash team.
Rob: Tell me what to do Kurt!
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,537

Post#4 » by stan francisco » Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:22 pm

What they think but don’t tell you is that …

… we’re getting M Turner and J Grant in a trade. Wishful thinking. Seriously though:

… when healthy, we’ll be tough to beat in a seven game series for any opponent. We just have to get there healthy.

In the post season:

… Rotations will shorten. AD will be healthy and plays defense for two and plays a great stretch four role in the first series.

… Dwight will turn it up, will once again turn into “playoffs Dwight” (one last time?).

… LeBron, AD, Ariza, Melo, Bradley, Collison will turn it on for real when it’s elimination time. To them, the first 50 games of a season is probably like preseason.

… It’s up to Vogel to get the others ready on defense: Westbrook, Monk, THT, Reaves, S Johnson, we’re looking at you. They all need defensive drills until May.

… Johnson and Reaves are ahead of the others and will get minutes from Frank when it really matters. Monk just needs to decide that defense is his thing.

… Nunn will stabilize rotations, justify trading Russ as a $44M sixth man for a pile of wet towels. Then we can go on a run.

Right now, Frank is trying to get Ariza and Collison warmed up enough to play another post season.
PG: D Lo / Reaves / Vincent(IL) / JHS
SG: Christie / Dinwiddie / Lewis / Mays
SF: LBJ / Prince / Reddish / Windler
PF: Rui / Vando(IL) / LBJ
CTR: AD / Hayes / Wood

Modern era NBA titles:
LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4
thomas1897
Junior
And1: 86

Post#5 » by thomas1897 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:14 am

The opinion behind the scenes is how did we get here and how to fix it. How did we get here? The Lakers won the championship in 2020. The management believed they could repeat. What happened was the NBA elite teams have a history of getting better? The Lakers did not improve and the management was searching for a superstar. Also, the use of a bargain approach to bring in stars who were older and would sign on to win a title. Did the Laker Management do their homework in a proper fashion? (The Laker Nation please answer that question.) Next were injuries after signing key players before the season began. Following these events team chemistry was an issue and the Laker management knew this before, during and after signing Russell Westbrook. The summation is clear. How to correct this problem can be done short term and long term. Short term is try to get the best effort from the entire team (better coaching). Long term analysis of the entire team is done by a complete reconstruction of the team with new faces with young or younger talent or changing the nucleus of the team. The Laker Management has to decide what would the best and thoughtful approach to use and the understanding the modern NBA has gotten better younger and much more talented players.
tamaraw08
Analyst
And1: 1,235

Post#6 » by tamaraw08 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:55 pm

thomas1897 wrote:Following these events team chemistry was an issue and the Laker management knew this before, during and after signing Russell Westbrook.
. Short term is try to get the best effort from the entire team (better coaching). Long term analysis of the entire team is done by a complete reconstruction of the team with new faces with young or younger talent or changing the nucleus of the team. The Laker Management has to decide what would the best and thoughtful approach to use and the understanding the modern NBA has gotten better younger and much more talented players.

I don't like the term "team chemistry" because I don't recall great coaches like Phil, Pops, Riley etc etc having huge issues with "team chemistry"... now if it's the issue of fit, ok, Westbrook is a bad fit.
But you also have suggested that better coaching leads to getting the best effort from the entire team. That a coach didn't just have to watch a ton of film, break them down, research advanced analytics and then formulate the best strategies now will have to come up with not just coaching but also COAXING these multi millionaire players to put up a better effort. Yes, to a point they also need find ways to motivate but I felt these is where their superstar leader Lebron comes in.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers