Game 58 : Utah Jazz (36-21) @ Los Angeles Lakers (26-31) - 10:00 PM

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

Landsberger
General Manager
And1: 1,969

Re: Game 58 : Utah Jazz (36-21) @ Los Angeles Lakers (26-31) - 10:00 PM 

Post#21 » by Landsberger » Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:08 am

SlimShady83 wrote:
Landsberger wrote:A team that is mailing it in.... Vogel will take the fall but there are too many veterans in leadership positions to think this is coaching.

I'm done with Davis and Bron.... I'm ready for the next Laker era.

I never wanted Bron on this team and was very few who didn't ... As for AD I was OK but feel we gave too much, but who knows

AD should just retire at this point OR accept less $$$ he not worth the $$$ when he always injured

I was ambivalent toward Bron... since then I'm wishing he didn't sign here.

Davis was the only target we seemed to have that year. I was concerned about what we've seen. Injured and a weak perimeter player primarily.
Landsberger
General Manager

Post#22 » by Landsberger » Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:27 am

New game at the 2:57 mark
Landsberger
General Manager

Post#23 » by Landsberger » Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:33 am

Well... the old man is getting it done tonight. can we close it out?
slifersd
Analyst
And1: 210

Post#24 » by slifersd » Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:34 am

LeBron the player, magnificent; LeBron the GM, I wish he was as good as the player.
Landsberger
General Manager

Post#25 » by Landsberger » Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:40 am

Well... we pulled this one out. Bron combined with an ice cold Utah team down the stretch.
slifersd
Analyst

Post#26 » by slifersd » Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:42 am

Good lord, why was Westbrook in the lineup when we need to hit freethrows?! What kind of coaching is this man
euphorbus
Analyst
And1: 1,480

Post#27 » by euphorbus » Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:50 am

Gritty win...the losing streak is over, and they can go to the break knowing they beat one of the best teams in the league. Huge three by Reaves near the end and some excellent play by LeBron James.
tamaraw08
Analyst
And1: 1,287

Post#28 » by tamaraw08 » Thu Feb 17, 2022 6:44 pm

Landsberger wrote:
SlimShady83 wrote:
Landsberger wrote:A team that is mailing it in.... Vogel will take the fall but there are too many veterans in leadership positions to think this is coaching.

I'm done with Davis and Bron.... I'm ready for the next Laker era.

I never wanted Bron on this team and was very few who didn't ... As for AD I was OK but feel we gave too much, but who knows

AD should just retire at this point OR accept less $$$ he not worth the $$$ when he always injured

Davis was the only target we seemed to have that year. I was concerned about what we've seen. Injured and a weak perimeter player primarily.

Sometimes I wonder and imagine if they kept the kids and let them mature and develop. Ingram, Kuz, Hart, Caruso, Zubac etc but never liked how Ball would also miss games.. look where he is now?... anyway is it almost the case of the core of Eddie Jones, NVE, Lynch, Peeler etc? Good collection of guys but....
SlimShady83
General Manager
And1: 1,182

Post#29 » by SlimShady83 » Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:19 pm

tamaraw08 wrote:
Landsberger wrote:
SlimShady83 wrote:

Sometimes I wonder and imagine if they kept the kids and let them mature and develop. Ingram, Kuz, Hart, Caruso, Zubac etc but never liked how Ball would also miss games.. look where he is now?... anyway is it almost the case of the core of Eddie Jones, NVE, Lynch, Peeler etc? Good collection of guys but....

AD has missed way more games then Ball LOL
Bring back Defense
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,545

Post#30 » by stan francisco » Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:41 pm

Minus the AD incident this was a very good win.

Team Defense!

They say ‘at least two weeks’. Yeah, right. That tweak can take 6-8 weeks given the severity and the player in question.

Speedy recovery, AD!
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
slifersd
Analyst

Post#31 » by slifersd » Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:31 pm

Two weeks for AD? LOL. This Lakers medical staff turned Melo's "day to day" to a two week absence. There is no chance in hell AD is back in two weeks. Four weeks might even be early for Mr. Glass, with this medical staff taking care of him
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,977

Post#32 » by zimpy27 » Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:55 pm

Melo is the worst defender on the team and plays in an important defensive position. Lakers defense has looked a lot better without him.

How do you not play a guy for hurting defense chemistry when he's been an important offense player?
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
Landsberger
General Manager

Post#33 » by Landsberger » Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:50 pm

tamaraw08 wrote:
Landsberger wrote:
SlimShady83 wrote:

So far none of those "kids" has made an impact on their team that leads me to believe we'd be better off. The reality is that we'd still not have all of them.... Only Kuzma is getting paid in line with his contribution. They have thrown money and any and everyone to try and prop up Ingram but he still can't move the needle.

They got another championship by dealing them..... I still think it's more than they would have gotten by keeping them. None of them will be even a Davis caliber player (when he's healthy... if it ever happens again). Several of them are getting paid that way however.

Our issues came when when we broke up the championship team.... then blew up when the FO listened to Bron and Davis wanting Westbrook.

I'm happy with another championship.... not my favorite Lager group by a long stretch but at least they got one. The sooner they recognize that it's time to move on the better IMHO.
Landsberger
General Manager

Post#34 » by Landsberger » Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:51 pm

zimpy27 wrote:Melo is the worst defender on the team and plays in an important defensive position. Lakers defense has looked a lot better without him.

How do you not play a guy for hurting defense chemistry when he's been an important offense player?

By releasing him.... real possibility now that Davis on out for a while....
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#35 » by zimpy27 » Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:24 pm

Landsberger wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:Melo is the worst defender on the team and plays in an important defensive position. Lakers defense has looked a lot better without him.

Do Lakers release him? Feels less likely with Davis injury

I do think Melo, Howard, Jordan are the 3 guys that Lakers could be ok in releasing without payment so they can join another team.
SlimShady83
General Manager
And1: 1,182

Post#36 » by SlimShady83 » Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:31 pm

zimpy27 wrote:
Landsberger wrote:

I do think Melo, Howard, Jordan are the 3 guys that Lakers could be ok in releasing without payment so they can join another team.

Is Howard still injured OR does dumb Vogel have a grudge on Howard for not giving him minutes - Howard is still worthy 20+ a game Vogel doesn't seem to be going with bigs like Howard - only when we like down 20 OR something.
Bring back Defense
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#37 » by zimpy27 » Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:34 pm

SlimShady83 wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:
Landsberger wrote:

Is Howard still injured OR does dumb Vogel have a grudge on Howard for not giving him minutes - Howard is still worthy 20+ a game Vogel doesn't seem to be going with bigs like Howard - only when we like down 20 OR something.

I don't honestly know. I think it's because Howard isn't very switch on defense.

Really thought Lakers would go for TT since he can switch and rebound.
Landsberger
General Manager

Post#38 » by Landsberger » Fri Feb 18, 2022 1:48 am

zimpy27 wrote:
Landsberger wrote:

Hopeful thinking on my part... I'm sure Bron's friendship with Melo has him safe here.

I'm not up on the cap situation etc. but this season is done and having Melo consume minutes doesn't help or hurt us I guess...
tamaraw08
Analyst
And1: 1,287

Post#39 » by tamaraw08 » Fri Feb 18, 2022 4:05 am

Landsberger wrote:
tamaraw08 wrote:
Landsberger wrote:

So far none of those "kids" has made an impact on their team that leads me to believe we'd be better off. The reality is that we'd still not have all of them.... Only Kuzma is getting paid in line with his contribution. They have thrown money and any and everyone to try and prop up Ingram but he still can't move the needle.

They got another championship by dealing them..... I still think it's more than they would have gotten by keeping them. None of them will be even a Davis caliber player (when he's healthy... if it ever happens again). Several of them are getting paid that way however.

Our issues came when when we broke up the championship team.... then blew up when the FO listened to Bron and Davis wanting Westbrook.

I'm happy with another championship.... not my favorite Lager group by a long stretch but at least they got one. The sooner they recognize that it's time to move on the better IMHO.

Again I compare those kids to the Eddie, NVE, Campbell “era”, fun and intriguing to watch but not enough to give you w championship.
I never liked breaking up the “championship team” but I can’t help but wonder what might have been if the covid stoppage didn’t happened especially with what is happening with AD after he plays 15-30 games straight... Lebron also is getting injured and can’t carry the offense every freaking possession esp with Vogel’s lack of creativity hence they bring in the Schroeder/Harell combo. It turned out Dennis has attitude problems while Trezl can’t play defense which is a no no with Frank.
So they move on to find that 3rd creator to relieve an aging/tired Lebron and the brittle Davis from carrying the offense . Lillard declined so they got desperate and got Russ.
In summary, I’m not sure keeping that championship team would have been sustainable imo.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers